Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Handen posted:

I know this might sound far-out but do you know where I could find switching modification diagrams for Fender Jaguars that allow for phase or series switching when the neck/bridge pup selectors are in the "off" position in the lead circuit? I saw someone post it on the shortscale.org forums before they crashed, and when they came back up that thread had disappeared.

Not off the top of my head, but I'm willing to bet it's on this page:
http://www.geocities.jp/dgb_studio/index_e.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

the wizards beard posted:

Guess I lucked out then.

Good thing too, I want to swap these pickups out fairly soon.

I hate the way les pauls look but somehow the f holes make me really like that.

I just ordered one of these:

I'm on the fence about modelling stuff but I just had to give it a go. I'll probably post a review when I get it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Three Red Lights posted:

I hate the way les pauls look but somehow the f holes make me really like that.

I'm on the fence about modelling stuff but I just had to give it a go. I'll probably post a review when I get it.

I'll look forward to hearing your review. My own thoughts are that the Spider III modeling still isn't that impressive, but that the tube guts do help warm things up a bit and round out the distortion tones. The open-backed cab limits how good it can sound with higher gain models, but improves the response and feel of clean and low-to-medium gain models.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I heard that Line6 and Bogner were collaberating, but how exactly? Is this a Line6 modeller into a Bogner power amp?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I heard that Line6 and Bogner were collaberating, but how exactly? Is this a Line6 modeller into a Bogner power amp?

Bogner tube amplifier (pre and power tubes), Line 6 modeling.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Bogner is also making a less expensive line of tube amps that will distributed by line 6. I'm anxious to see how they stack up to the real Bogners (which are unfathomably good sounding.)

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Guess I lucked out then.

Good thing too, I want to swap these pickups out fairly soon.

I don't really like hollowbodies, but I would own this guitar pretty happily.

WEIRD BEER
Feb 26, 2005

I picked this up at Austin Vintage Guitars a few days ago. It's a 1966 Guild F-20. It's not much to look at but it sounds/plays better than any acoustic i've ever picked up. The sound is especially impressive since the body is so small, but it seriously is comparable to a dreadnought. I'm very happy:)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Three Red Lights posted:

I love these amps. The presets aren't fantastic but there's a lot of good poo poo in there if you tweak it.

edit: I'd have a tough time deciding between the SpiderValve and the upcoming Bogner Alchemist though. Same factory, same distributor, but the SV has a digital preamp and effects while the Bogner's all analog. Supposedly the price will be pretty similar.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 5, 2008

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Aenovae posted:

My Thingamagoop game in the mail yesterday!

This is what they sound like.

I have named mine Pasquale.

Also pictured: my beautiful keyboard purchased through RivensBitch. :wooper:

I'm kicking myself now for not buying monitors through him...

What the gently caress is that thing?

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Geisladisk posted:

it's a little analog synthesizer guy but the pitch is controlled by a photocell (nose) instead of a keyboard or whatnot. Eye from Boredoms sometimes uses one.

i never really could figure out if the toggles were supposed to be little bunny-like arms or nipples, though, it kind of disturbs me.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Geisladisk posted:

Ooh! I know! Let's type the name in Google!

First link: http://www.bleeplabs.com/

In huge letters on the front page, it says "What is it?"

and then you end up here: http://www.bleeplabs.com/bleepwhat.html

edit: beaten like 2 detuned oscillators :v:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yoozer posted:

Ooh! I know! Let's type the name in Google!

First link: http://www.bleeplabs.com/

In huge letters on the front page, it says "What is it?"

and then you end up here: http://www.bleeplabs.com/bleepwhat.html

edit: beaten like 2 detuned oscillators :v:

I wish people would just stop asking everyone questions, and would use google for everything.

insaine2k
Nov 13, 2004
It's all about siberia, yeah, wastin' time with all those barterin' faggots!
Just bought this:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/4/9/5/272495.jpg

Everything I ever dreamed of.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

I wish people would just stop asking everyone questions, and would use google for everything.
If that's what it takes to get people to stop asking questions when the answer is five seconds of research away, I'll take it.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

insaine2k posted:

Just bought this:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/4/9/5/272495.jpg

Everything I ever dreamed of.

It has one pickup, yet four knobs.

I am confused.

insaine2k
Nov 13, 2004
It's all about siberia, yeah, wastin' time with all those barterin' faggots!

ZombiePeanut posted:

It has one pickup, yet four knobs.

I am confused.

1 volume, treble, mid, and bass EQ.

Enaku
Mar 17, 2008

I like that it's a little jerky

Geisladisk posted:

I wish people would just stop asking everyone questions that would only take 10 seconds of research, and would google them instead.

Fixed.

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker
New amp, new electronics/pickups/tort pickguard for the strat. Yes, my guitar matches my amp. :colbert:

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.
I just got a most glorious box from UPS today:

The Maxon OD9 and Radial EFX were the recent acquisitions, along with the 1Spot power combo. I also got three instrument cables and two Kepur straps, since my old strap was falling apart and pretty terrible. Now I need a few more Devi Ever pedals and a PT-2 pedal board and I'll be set until the new, cheaper Bogners come out, since I'm sure I'll break down and get one.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
What's in this case? I know you probably know, TapTheForwardAssist so keep quiet ;)

Here's another teaser:

Grumio fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 6, 2008

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I'm guessing a Puerto Rican Cuatro, although I don't think it would fit in that case. Probably its South American cousin with a smaller body, maybe?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Rifter17 posted:

I'm guessing a Puerto Rican Cuatro, although I don't think it would fit in that case. Probably its South American cousin with a smaller body, maybe?

Ooh, close. It's South American, and one of the numerous derivatives of the old Spanish Vihuela.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
You made me do it, 3toes. You made me. I blame you.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

Grumio posted:

What's in this case? I know you probably know, TapTheForwardAssist so keep quiet ;)

Two courses of five strings each, neck bigger than body, South American, could it be a charango?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

hamaien posted:

You made me do it, 3toes. You made me. I blame you.

It'll get you laid, drunk, high, and rich.*

*individual results may vary

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Darth Fungus posted:

New amp, new electronics/pickups/tort pickguard for the strat. Yes, my guitar matches my amp. :colbert:

You should mod that epi VJ.

Just got my rebate and refund checks in the mail. I think I'll do my part in stimulating the economy soon, so I'll post my purchases as soon as I decide what they'll be. It's looking like a white MIM strat with a maple neck and some fralin vintage hots may be in the cards.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

GrAviTy84 posted:

You should mod that epi VJ.

Down that path lies more hours playing with the amp than actually playing the guitar. My amp has spent more time open than closed. I reckon I've switched out over 1/2 the components now. I'm doing a from scratch turret board rebuild soon. Have most of the components. Rest are on order.

jonnyfish
Oct 20, 2004

'ow's she cuttin' t'day skipper
Well I just finished exams on Friday (two of which were PhD comprehensives :gonk: ), and I've been without an acoustic for a couple of months now, so

My first Martin :)

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Figured I needed some pedals. I doubt I'll ever really need more than those two. The AW-3 is a really neat pedal, and they had a used one so I got it for really cheap. I can't seem to get the humanizer setting to do anything all that interesting, though. The little big muff is pretty much the perfect fuzz distortion. The tone knob changes how it sounds a ton. Also, the normal big muff pi is loving massive for no apparent reason. It's kind of funny.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Grumio posted:

I think it's a Bandurria? If so, I want clips drat soon.

Edit: That's an awful lot of frets, though...

Los Padre fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 6, 2008

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

ZombiePeanut posted:

The little big muff is pretty much the perfect fuzz distortion. The tone knob changes how it sounds a ton. Also, the normal big muff pi is loving massive for no apparent reason. It's kind of funny.

Component material aside, a lot of people argue that point-to-point or through-hole PCB fabrication techniques sound better ( :rolleye: ) than surface-mount PCB fabrication which I'm assuming the Little Big Muff uses.

The issue isn't how the thing is laid out or the layout technique per se, but what the components (resistors, capacitors, etc...) are made of and that surly music store repair techs hate fixing surface-mount equipment so they'll say that point-to-point and the like sound better mostly, if only, because they're easier to fix.

Out Of Band
May 2, 2002

HI I AM A CLAM

Cirofren posted:

drat.

I was looking into getting both a midi keyboard and simple control surface (for Protools) later this year and now I think I know exactly what I'm getting. Really glad you posted this.

So, the CME VX6 just arrived and I'm going to have to return it I think. It's got all the features, sure, but it's built like poo poo. There is no way this thing will hold up to what I do. The key action is pretty horrible, and worse yet the loving weights they glued to the bottom of the key were glued really, really poorly. So bad in fact that about a dozen of them had fallen off at some point before it got to me. Hell, a few of them had actually managed to fall inside the keyboard itself and were rattling around in there.

I'm just going to return it and save the money for something actually good with the features I want, like a Korg M3.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Sacred Cow posted:

This is my pride and joy.

3.5 years of waiting was well worth it.

I cannot believe I missed this. Quite jealous. More details please! Please! PLEASE! Demo it for the rest of us to drool over.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

vac posted:

Two courses of five strings each, neck bigger than body, South American, could it be a charango?

Yes indeed- it is a Charango. For those of you who don't know it's a Bolivian instrument with (as vac pointed out) 5 pairs of strings. I play the Ukulele and wanted another instrument, so I found this. It's really very easy to switch to from guitar, and even easier from uke- Uke is GCEA, and the extra string is another E, making it GCEAE. That being said, several of the string pairs are an octave higher (and in the case of the middle pair, an octave apart) so you can't use the exact same tabs for both.

The sound is somewhat between a Mandolin and Uke, and works equally well fingerpicking and for rapid strumming techniques. So- if you're looking for a neat little instrument to strum and jam (and you already have a ukulele), I'd highly recommend one. Check out some videos on youtube. I'd record something, but a.) I don't have any good way of recording it other than a skype headset and b.) my new strings keep stretching so much I have to retune every 5 minutes.

edit: as an interesting aside- Charangos are carved from a single piece of wood (usually Jacaranda or Naranjillo, with other woods in the really high-end models. That being said, the "original" charangos use a hollowed-out Armadillo as their sound box :(

Grumio fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 7, 2008

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Grumio posted:

ohmygodohmygod please clip those strings aggggh that drives me crazy.

Other than that, loving beautiful. I'd love to hear a clip. A sound clip.
(of the strings being clipped)

ninja edit: Made out of a hollowed out armadillo? That's metal as gently caress.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Grumio posted:

Yes indeed- it is a Charango. For those of you who don't know it's a Bolivian instrument with (as vac pointed out) 5 pairs of strings.

Well it looks like I'll be adding a Charango to my strings purchases. (I'm saving to import a Laúd from Spain).

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Now I want to hug an armadillo :(

(Probably sounds awesome)

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Schatten posted:

I cannot believe I missed this. Quite jealous. More details please! Please! PLEASE! Demo it for the rest of us to drool over.

Its a 4 string Mk 1 Wal. Like 99% of Wal's, its a mahogany core but the top and back is cocobolo. As far as I know this is the only Wal bass ever made with cocobolo as the top wood. They were actually taken aback when I asked for it since there wasn't much cocobolo in the UK. It took them time to find it and dry it out so they could work with it. Altogether the wait was three and a half years since Wal has (had? I'm not sure if they take anymore orders) a pretty hefty backlog.

I really wish I could demo it for you but I don't have any kind of recording device for my computer. My last band recording was with my P-bass so no luck there. Just imagine it coming out of a Mesa 400+ with some MXR distortion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Guys, I'm in need of a good booster pedal. I don't really want an EQ pedal because I'm happy with my sound, I just needed it boosted for certain lead work. I'm currently using a Maxon OD9 tubescreamer as my booster, on top of my Jekyll & Hyde overdrive. It's not too effective as a booster though (and I generally leave them both on as I LOVE what the OD9 adds.

I was thinking about the Seymour Duncan pickup booster ?