Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Pussy Noise posted:

Have you looked at the Cisco feature navigator at http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp?

Its a bit confusing, the platform is the model number, but is there any way just to search for unique model numbers? It lists 108,221 results for PGM, and bizarrely 123,926 for DLR enhancements (additional to PGM) :eek:

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnj
Jul 27, 2002
JUST GET A FREAKIN MAC DURRRRRR

MrMoo posted:

Its a bit confusing, the platform is the model number, but is there any way just to search for unique model numbers? It lists 108,221 results for PGM, and bizarrely 123,926 for DLR enhancements (additional to PGM) :eek:

most cisco routers will support that... even the 8xx series routers which are a few hundred bucks. I'd go with a 2801 or 2811 though, they're great routers for the price.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So to test a basic cascade like this, I could use two 1841's?

I found a manufacturer refurb at $799.56 ($880 new) on compuvest, compared with $1,230 for 2801, and $1,423.32 for a 2811.

http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?iid=564912
http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?iid=141936
http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?iid=483093

evilZardoz
Feb 3, 2007
Titled at E55 while drunken

CrazyLittle posted:

Have any of you guys used a Cisco multi-service router (like a 2800 series) to deliver a PRI to a PBX system?

What kind of hardware are you using?
What IOS?
What does the configuration look like (you can PM if you don't want it publicly visible.)

Hi,

My organisation is using Cisco 3845s to provide trunks to their PABX's until we rip them out (and of course, to the telco). We're using the E1/T1 multiflex trunk VWIC2 modules and a Qsig card in the PABXs which are Plessey iSDX boxes. They are also providing the voice interconnects via some of the PABXs as we move away from our final ATM stuff onto a pure gigabit network (multiple sites that used to run over ATM are getting fibre! Yay!) Let's rip out ATM which was great at multiservice stuff fifteen years ago ... how the mighty have fallen.

We will eventually have the 3845s gatewaying to the telco directly.

I can PM you parts of the config if you are really interested.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Here's a dumbass moment, courtesy of myself. I needed to daisy chain two 2950 switches via the gig ports. I could not get a link light. I tried changing the port configurations over and over. I tried wiping the switches to factory defaults. I even considered there was a bug in IOS and almost upgraded that. In all I spent about an hour trying to trouble shoot the issue.

Turns out I was using a standard patch cable when I really needed a crossover. The worst part was that I knew I needed the cross over.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

evilZardoz posted:

We will eventually have the 3845s gatewaying to the telco directly.

I can PM you parts of the config if you are really interested.

Very interested. (You have PM's disabled.) So when you go direct to telco, are you going to get a PRI from them and then use a VWIC2 to act as a trunking card?

InferiorWang posted:

Turns out I was using a standard patch cable when I really needed a crossover. The worst part was that I knew I needed the cross over.

I wish Cisco would get with the program and do auto-negotiation and auto-crossover like many cheaper devices seem to be able to do just fine. At least auto-crossover is built into the gigabit spec.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
The funny thing is the cheapest bunch of switches they have, the express switches, do just that. Or maybe they don't and ether/port channel handles that....

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CrazyLittle posted:

Very interested. (You have PM's disabled.) So when you go direct to telco, are you going to get a PRI from them and then use a VWIC2 to act as a trunking card?

I wish Cisco would get with the program and do auto-negotiation and auto-crossover like many cheaper devices seem to be able to do just fine. At least auto-crossover is built into the gigabit spec.

I've always wondered why cisco does that. With 6500's or any of the Catalyst switches, it will do auto-crossover. However their 7600's or the Metro stuff, won't. There is no technical reason the switches can't do it, it's just not part of the non-catalyst derived IOS. Really strange.

And stranger still, with fiber, on the newest cards like the ES40 or OC768 "Godzilla" cards and even some of the older fiber ports, it will autonegotiate. But only with fiber not Copper....

What's the dealio?

Korensky
Jan 13, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

And stranger still, with fiber, on the newest cards like the ES40 or OC768 "Godzilla" cards and even some of the older fiber ports, it will autonegotiate. But only with fiber not Copper....

What's the dealio?

Swapping the optics on an SFP is somewhat different since they are an actual transceiver. One side is a receiver and the other a laser to transmit with, and what are you trying to autonegotiate over a POS interface?....

atticus
Nov 7, 2002

this is how u post~
:madmax::hf::riker:
Hey everyone!

Thought I'd give this a bump with a question and probably a little shameless plug.

So I've got an extra large EC2 instance (that's 15GB of RAM, and 4 dual-core 2GHz CPUs) and I'm planning on using it for Dynamips/Dynagen foo.

Here's an additional side-note - I found the cheapest CCIE lab rack rental place I could find. You pay $13 for 4 hours worth of rack time. Keep that number in mind.

Now, if you want to use an extra large EC2 instance, you pay 80 cents an hour. So, that's $4 for 4 hours (partial hours are pro-rated). Now dynamips can't do switching, but that's still a hell of a deal compared to fighting for lab time that fits into your schedule. I'm a Network Engineer for Amazon, so I get the "internal pricing plan" for EC2 - but if anyone's interested in learning about how to use EC2 for your dynamips foo, please shoot me a PM and we'll chat.

Now, on to my question. I'm building an AMI for EC2 that has everything I need to use dynamips and dynagen, only I'm attempting to lock down the build so it's a little more secure.

By default, when you invoke dynamips under Linux, you say "dynamips -H 7200 &"

What I've found is that what this does is basically open that TCP port to the entire world. So, I think "ok we'll just tell dynamips to bind the port to the loopback address so the outside world can't connect to that port and only people that are actually on the box will be able to." No problem right? So I try:

code:
dynamips -H 127.0.0.1:7200
And that works as expected.

code:
# netstat -an
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address             State
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:7200              0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.2:7200              0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN
There's always a catch though. Using that syntax, Dynamips will happily force the binding of 7200 to localhost, but what if you want to run more than one Dynamips instance? No dice. Dynamips won't allow this:

code:
# dynamips -H 127.0.0.1:7201
For reasons unknown to me.

So what's the workaround if you want to run multiple instances of Dynamips securely? Create multiple aliases to your loopback interface on your linux box and just tell Dynamips to run on all of them on port 7200, rather than running all the instances on the same loopback on different port numbers. See below (Sorry Windows folks, this won't work for you):

Step One:

Make an alias (or multiple aliases) of your Loopback interface on your linux box and give it another IP address.

code:
box# ifconfig lo:1 127.0.0.2 netmask 255.0.0.0
box# ifconfig lo:2 127.0.0.3 netmask 255.0.0.0
box# ifconfig lo:3 127.0.0.4 netmask 255.0.0.0
Step Two:

Invoke dynamips on all of the loopbacks

code:
dynamips -H 127.0.0.1:7200
dynamips -H 127.0.0.2:7200
dynamips -H 127.0.0.3:7200
dynamips -H 127.0.0.4:7200
Then, you want to modify your .net file so that instead of referencing "localhost" you reference the loopback IP addresses, like so:

code:
# router params for instance 1
[127.0.0.1]

[[7200]]
   image = /root/IOS/uncompressed/c7200-adventerprisek9-mz.124-11.T2.extracted.bin
   npe = npe-400
   slot1 = PA-8E
   slot2 = PA-8T

blah blah blah

# router params for instance 2
[127.0.0.2]
udp = 11000

[[7200]]
   image = /root/IOS/uncompressed/c7200-adventerprisek9-mz.124-11.T2.extracted.bin
   npe = npe-400
   slot1 = PA-8E
   slot2 = PA-8T

blah blah blah blah
Works like a charm.

There's still another problem though, and I'm looking for a little help here. When I invoke dynagen on a lab, the routers all start up, and the console ports start up as expected on port 2000, incrementing. However, we run into the same problem as before, where port 2000 isn't just open to localhost and localhost only, but rather open to the entire world. This obviously isn't something I want.

Any linux experts know of a way to "work around" this like I did with the localhost IP foo? If not, then my only two options are going to have to be to build some iptables stuff (not something I want to do) or bother the author of Dynamips to build some functionality into the application to allow for more security for stuff like this (also not something I'd want to do).

Any ideas guys?

EDIT: After trolling through the manpage for dynamips, I realized that it allows you to specify the console port on the command line, so the function I'm looking for is actually within Dynagen's realm, since it's essentially just a frontend for Dynamips written in Python. I suck at programming so I'm not even going to try to see if I can figure out what's going on under the hood, but I've posted a similar question in the hacki.at forums, and maybe I'll get somewhere by poking at the author of Dynagen.

atticus fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 23, 2008

xobofni
Mar 28, 2003

atticus posted:

Any linux experts know of a way to "work around" this like I did with the localhost IP foo? If not, then my only two options are going to have to be to build some iptables stuff (not something I want to do) or bother the author of Dynamips to build some functionality into the application to allow for more security for stuff like this (also not something I'd want to do).

Any ideas guys?

EDIT: After trolling through the manpage for dynamips, I realized that it allows you to specify the console port on the command line, so the function I'm looking for is actually within Dynagen's realm, since it's essentially just a frontend for Dynamips written in Python. I suck at programming so I'm not even going to try to see if I can figure out what's going on under the hood, but I've posted a similar question in the hacki.at forums, and maybe I'll get somewhere by poking at the author of Dynagen.
This is a dirty hack, but I think it'll work.
code:
*** dev_vtty.c.orig     2008-04-25 19:09:32.000000000 -0400
--- dev_vtty.c  2008-04-25 19:09:51.000000000 -0400
*** 132,138 ****

memset(&serv,0,sizeof(serv));
     serv.sin_family = AF_INET;
!    serv.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(INADDR_ANY);
     serv.sin_port = htons(vtty->tcp_port);

if (bind(vtty->accept_fd,(struct sockaddr *)&serv,sizeof(serv)) < 0) {
--- 132,138 ----

memset(&serv,0,sizeof(serv));
     serv.sin_family = AF_INET;
!    serv.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(INADDR_LOOPBACK);
     serv.sin_port = htons(vtty->tcp_port);

if (bind(vtty->accept_fd,(struct sockaddr *)&serv,sizeof(serv)) < 0) {
Changed INADDR_ANY to INADDR_LOOPBACK so it always binds to the loopback adapter. This is in the source for dynamips, also.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
How does everyone here use to keep track of your configs? CVS? Does cisco have any tools to make archiving configs more stream lined that cutting and pasting?

Boner Buffet fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 29, 2008

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

InferiorWang posted:

How does everyone here use to keep track of your configs? CVS? Does cisco have any tools to make archiving configs more stream lined that cutting and pasting?

You want (assuming you're looking for something free) RANCID. RANCID RANCID RANCID.
http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/
Which will back up most of your devices configs (as well as other info like "show ver" and hardware info) into CVS/SVN (although SVN is a bunch of work to set up).

Otherwise Cisco has their own solution in CiscoWorks (Resource Manager) I believe. And Solarwinds also does config backups via their Cirrus product.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Girdle Wax posted:

You want (assuming you're looking for something free) RANCID. RANCID RANCID RANCID.
http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/
Which will back up most of your devices configs (as well as other info like "show ver" and hardware info) into CVS/SVN (although SVN is a bunch of work to set up).

Seconded! This is some awesome stuff right here. What, my slot6 went from Supervisor-720 to Supervisor-Other, you say? Time to get a case going with Cisco!

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Well then, I guess you all wouldn't mind if I brought this up then? ;)

I've been working on trying to get rancid running on a SLES 10 box and I'm getting this error in rancid/var/logs:

code:
mis-s1:/usr/local/rancid/var/logs # more networking.20080429.112652
starting: Tue Apr 29 11:26:52 EDT 2008

cvs commit: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
cvs commit: nothing known about `router.db'
cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!
I'm guessing I haven't configured something right with CVS, but my searches have not been fruitful as of yet.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

InferiorWang posted:

Well then, I guess you all wouldn't mind if I brought this up then? ;)

I've been working on trying to get rancid running on a SLES 10 box and I'm getting this error in rancid/var/logs:

code:
mis-s1:/usr/local/rancid/var/logs # more networking.20080429.112652
starting: Tue Apr 29 11:26:52 EDT 2008

cvs commit: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
cvs commit: nothing known about `router.db'
cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!
I'm guessing I haven't configured something right with CVS, but my searches have not been fruitful as of yet.

What you'll typically want to do for CVS (if I recall, it's been awhile).
- create a local copy with your layout
- commit this to a repository in a shared location on your server
- delete/move your local copy
- check out your local copy
- check out another copy under your rancid user, and tell rancid to use that copy

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
I'm personally a fan of Kiwi CatTools and Syslog.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Just got rancid running after a half a day of irritation and swearing. I like dicking around with *nix, but it can really drive me up a wall with some of the vague documentation.

Also, I hate pipermail!

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Girdle Wax posted:

And Solarwinds also does config backups via their Cirrus product.

We have about 400 devices in our Cirrus nightly pick-up, and we've started to see some real scaling problems.

Straylight
Jun 5, 2002
Dude, this title is because you sound like a fucking pompous douche every time you open your mouth. I bet you have shitty tattoos like GodsMullet. PS. Thai food sucks.
This question could likely be its own thread, but I think I've decided to use a Cisco solution so please bear with me. I'd appreciate some critique and recommendations.

I'm being pressed into IT duty for a new architectural lighting and high-end light fixture company. Apparently being able to fix computers and build home networks makes you qualified to run the IT part of a small business. Based on their growth plans and a good assessment of the local market, using unmanaged SOHO gear will be a waste of time and money. The objective here is to start reasonably small but incorporate best practices and all that jazz.

Environment:
Office/warehouse/showroom
"Business" DSL with telco-supplied shitbox gateway/WAP
4 on-site employees in wired offices
-3 normal computers
-1 accounting box
1 FTP server
Email is Google Apps
1 credit card processor
VPN
-Need to be able to remotely admin
-Need to be able to remotely access Quickbooks on accounting machine
Wifi to begin with used for only visitor internet access.
Wifi will be used in the future for wireless inventory scanners.
Telephones are not VoIP (for now).
No videoconferencing.

Expansion plans:
Employees to 10
Wireless inventory

So the network would look like this: INTERNET---ASA/ISR device---LAN. Simple.

For firewall duty, I think there are two options: ISR 1811 and ASA 5505, which can have similar prices depending on license. If I get the ASA, it can stay there even after I need a better router, whereas if I buy a router, I probably still need a dedicated firewall at some point?
1811 - better router, crappier everything else. Probably don't need a "real" router to terminate DSL.
5505 - better everything else, weaker router. Leaning this way. The only question there is the license - 10 user or Sec +. There is a $600 difference in price.
The sec + bundle decision seems to hinge on: Do I need a DMZ for the FTP server? Sec + also gives more VLANs, but counting ports already taken up, I'm out of ports on the ASA and need a switch as it is, and that could handle my VLAN reqs, trunking, etc.

So now I have a switch question: 2960 or Express 500? They are similarly priced, but the 500 is a newer product?

I appreciate any comments and answers. I have more qeustions like, at what point does it make sense to set up domains and 2k3 SBS w/ ISA (or a linux solution)? Without ISA, what are my options for 802.1x? Looks like I can do it locally on the ASA, but that doesn't seem ideal.

Straylight fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 30, 2008

Straylight
Jun 5, 2002
Dude, this title is because you sound like a fucking pompous douche every time you open your mouth. I bet you have shitty tattoos like GodsMullet. PS. Thai food sucks.
How about a simpler (stupid) question:

No VLAN trunking means that devices on one VLAN cannot talk to devices on another VLAN, correct? If VLANs require special setup on a user's computer, when a user connects to a public wireless network that is on its own VLAN but the user's computer has not been set up to see virtual interfaces, what happens?

Also, repeating a question from above, is a DMZ really necessary?

Straylight fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 30, 2008

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Straylight posted:

How about a simpler (stupid) question:

No VLAN trunking means that devices on one VLAN cannot talk to devices on another VLAN, correct? If VLANs require special setup on a user's computer, when a user connects to a public wireless network that is on its own VLAN but the user's computer has not been set up to see virtual interfaces, what happens?

Also, repeating a question from above, is a DMZ really necessary?

No vlan trunking means that multiple vlans' traffic cannot be passed over a single link. What you are referring to is the function a L3 switch or a router, assuming the router has a L3 interface for that vlan.

Usually VLAN tagging is done on the switch, with the specific ports being designated to the various VLANs. It is technically possible to tag it on the device but that is rather unheard of.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm fighting with linking a Linux box running FreeSWAN to a PIX and it's making me want to kill things....

Relevant bit of PIX config, let me know if there's more you need to see.
code:
sysopt connection permit-ipsec
crypto ipsec transform-set myset esp-3des esp-md5-hmac
crypto dynamic-map cisco 1 set transform-set myset
crypto map dyn-map 60 ipsec-isakmp dynamic cisco
crypto map dyn-map interface outside
isakmp enable outside
isakmp key ******** address 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0
isakmp policy 10 authentication pre-share
isakmp policy 10 encryption 3des
isakmp policy 10 hash md5
isakmp policy 10 group 1
isakmp policy 10 lifetime 1000
FreeSWAN config
code:
conn Medina
	type = tunnel
	left = <my IP>
	right = <PIX IP>
	leftnexthop = <my gateway>
	leftsubnet = 192.168.20.0/24
	rightsubnet = 192.168.0.0/24
	auto = start
	keyexchange = ike
	authby = secret
	auth = esp
	keyingtries = 0
	esp = 3DES-MD5
	pfs = no
	rekey = yes
	leftid = <my IP>
	rightid = <PIX IP>
	ike = 3DES-MD5-MODP1024
	pfsgroup = MODP1024
	ikelifetime = 1000s
	keylife = 1000s
	rekeymargin = 1m
	rekeyfuzz = 20%
	X-ping-s = 192.168.20.1
	X-ping-d = 192.168.0.6
and when I do a 'debug crypto isakmp' I get this:

code:
ISAKMP (0): Checking ISAKMP transform 0 against priority 10 policy
ISAKMP:      life type in seconds
ISAKMP:      life duration (basic) of 1000
ISAKMP:      encryption 3DES-CBC
ISAKMP:      hash MD5
ISAKMP:      auth pre-share
ISAKMP:      default group 2
ISAKMP (0): atts are not acceptable. Next payload is 0
ISAKMP (0): Checking ISAKMP transform 0 against priority 65535 policy
ISAKMP:      life type in seconds
ISAKMP:      life duration (basic) of 1000
ISAKMP:      encryption 3DES-CBC
ISAKMP:      hash MD5
ISAKMP:      auth pre-share
ISAKMP:      default group 2
ISAKMP (0): atts are not acceptable. Next payload is 0
ISAKMP (0): no offers accepted!
ISAKMP (0): SA not acceptable!
return status is IKMP_ERR_TRANS
I've interfaced this device with a PIX before and this particular PIX has other VPNs running on it, but the things don't seem to want to agree.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I've got an old 2501 to which I do not have the security password, and it's running IOS 11.0 which seems to be pretty outdated. What are my options if I just want to dick around with it for learning's sake (haven't touched any advanced networking voodoo since uni, so I have a vague memory of how to use IOS but no specifics)?

I'm guessing I want to re-flash it with a "new" (even if it's the same version) OS...can the 2501 use IOS 12.x? What is generally required to flash it? I've successfully connected to the console port via Linux / rolled cable / serial port / minicom.

I also don't remember offhand just what is possible, if anything, without entering the secure mode. What's the general breakdown between the two modes?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

wolrah posted:

Relevant bit of PIX config, let me know if there's more you need to see.
code:
isakmp policy 10 group 1
FreeSWAN config
code:
conn Medina
	ike = 3DES-MD5-MODP1024
	pfsgroup = MODP1024

I think your DH group in isakmp is mismatched. As I recall group 1 is 768 bits, and group 2 is 1024 bits. Try changing the pix thusly:

code:
no isakmp policy 10 group 1
isakmp policy 10 group 2

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

inignot posted:

I think your DH group in isakmp is mismatched. As I recall group 1 is 768 bits, and group 2 is 1024 bits. Try changing the pix thusly:

code:
no isakmp policy 10 group 1
isakmp policy 10 group 2

Thanks, but that didn't change anything except the default group listed in the error on the debug output.

It'd be useful if the PIX would say what it didn't like about the connection rather than just listing the rule that I already know from the config file. On the FreeSWAN side it just tells me that the other end didn't accept anything.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
:edit: don't do PFS, I only read a snippet about the group, not the pfs = no portion of SWAN.

It looks to me like SWAN is trying to do PFS from the medina config
code:
conn Medina
	ike = 3DES-MD5-MODP1024
	pfsgroup = MODP1024
Set up pfs on your crypto map statements, also I saw no match statement for interesting traffic for the tunnel.

code:
[strike]crypto map dyn-map set pfs[/strike]
crypto map dyn-map match [[match ACL goes here]]
This is based off pix/asa 7.x code though so the syntax may be different for 6.x and below.

jbusbysack fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 7, 2008

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

wolrah posted:

Thanks, but that didn't change anything except the default group listed in the error on the debug output.

It'd be useful if the PIX would say what it didn't like about the connection rather than just listing the rule that I already know from the config file. On the FreeSWAN side it just tells me that the other end didn't accept anything.

I dunno what to tell you. I do a lot of VPNs, but they are IOS to IOS; not PIX to whatever. The debugs look like a phase 1 failure. I'd look at the preshared key and the isakmp policy settings.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

bitprophet posted:

I've got an old 2501 to which I do not have the security password, and it's running IOS 11.0 which seems to be pretty outdated. What are my options if I just want to dick around with it for learning's sake (haven't touched any advanced networking voodoo since uni, so I have a vague memory of how to use IOS but no specifics)?

I'm guessing I want to re-flash it with a "new" (even if it's the same version) OS...can the 2501 use IOS 12.x? What is generally required to flash it? I've successfully connected to the console port via Linux / rolled cable / serial port / minicom.

I also don't remember offhand just what is possible, if anything, without entering the secure mode. What's the general breakdown between the two modes?

The 2501 should support probably a 12.0 or 12.1 train code- but you'll probably have trouble getting your hands on it unless you have a CCO account to download it off cisco.com. That said you pretty much can't do anything without the enable password, so you'll probably want to use the enable secret recovery procedure to change the enable secret.

flashing a new ios image to the router is typically done over tftp (it can be done over a console cable but it's excruciatingly slow), so you'd need to connect it via ethernet to a box running a tftp server (such as atftpd on linux, or tftpd32 on windows).

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Girdle Wax posted:

The 2501 should support probably a 12.0 or 12.1 train code- but you'll probably have trouble getting your hands on it unless you have a CCO account to download it off cisco.com. That said you pretty much can't do anything without the enable password, so you'll probably want to use the enable secret recovery procedure to change the enable secret.

flashing a new ios image to the router is typically done over tftp (it can be done over a console cable but it's excruciatingly slow), so you'd need to connect it via ethernet to a box running a tftp server (such as atftpd on linux, or tftpd32 on windows).

Thanks! Hopefully one of those tips for recovering the password will work - that's probably my best bet. I don't have a CCO account so reinstalling sounds like it won't be possible.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Anyone got some advice on the 642-845 ONT exam? I took/passed the composite and the ISCW so its the last one to take and I'm sitting it in a week. I'm studied up on all of the subjects which are covered but if anyone has advice on the test itself I'd appreciate it.

bitprophet posted:

Thanks! Hopefully one of those tips for recovering the password will work - that's probably my best bet. I don't have a CCO account so reinstalling sounds like it won't be possible.

Here is the specific recovery document for the 2500 series access router. I had to do this a few weeks ago for my "new" console access router.

Click Here

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 7, 2008

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Our company has a small lab that only a couple of people have access to. I'm looking to be part of this group, and one of the main things they need to get done is to reset a password for their Cisco 1800 series router. The previous lab owner recently left, so they'd like to keep a backup of the configuration in case things go south.

I found this link here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_password_recovery09186a0080094773.shtml

and it looks very straightforward, but I'm having trouble just connecting to the box. I tried a regular RJ45 cable and a crossover cable, but no go. I believe I need a "rollover" cable, RJ45 to RJ45, as my laptop doesn't have a serial port. I tried searching around some bigbox stores but they don't seem to have it in stock. Anyone know if Fry's will keep something like this in stock? The closest one is 30 miles away from me..

Other than that, is there anything else I should be looking out for when trying to reset the password? Will the configuration get blown out if I follow the instructions in the link, or will it stay?

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Bank posted:

Our company has a small lab that only a couple of people have access to. I'm looking to be part of this group, and one of the main things they need to get done is to reset a password for their Cisco 1800 series router. The previous lab owner recently left, so they'd like to keep a backup of the configuration in case things go south.

I found this link here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_password_recovery09186a0080094773.shtml

and it looks very straightforward, but I'm having trouble just connecting to the box. I tried a regular RJ45 cable and a crossover cable, but no go. I believe I need a "rollover" cable, RJ45 to RJ45, as my laptop doesn't have a serial port. I tried searching around some bigbox stores but they don't seem to have it in stock. Anyone know if Fry's will keep something like this in stock? The closest one is 30 miles away from me..

Other than that, is there anything else I should be looking out for when trying to reset the password? Will the configuration get blown out if I follow the instructions in the link, or will it stay?

Personally what I use is a USB/serial converter device that I then plug the rollover cable into. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107108 for example. Don't mess around with ethernet jacks and console cables it's just a mess.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
I've recently been tasked with investigating multicasting as a routable solution. There are 3 main sites and the idea is to route multicast traffic between all 3 sites (that are all interconnected) over point-to-point links.

Is there anything crazy I need to be aware of? From what I've researched it looks like MOSPF (ospf w/multicast) seems to be the solution. It's basically the same as rigging PVST+ with regards to segregating flow patterns.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jbusbysack posted:

Personally what I use is a USB/serial converter device that I then plug the rollover cable into. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107108 for example.

Get this one - it's cheaper and it's Vista compatible:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156003

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

CrazyLittle posted:

Get this one - it's cheaper and it's Vista compatible:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156003

Agreed, thats the actual one I use. Googling newegg serial usb converter lied! But look out if you lose the mini driver CD, its ridiculous to find them online.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

jbusbysack posted:

I've recently been tasked with investigating multicasting as a routable solution. There are 3 main sites and the idea is to route multicast traffic between all 3 sites (that are all interconnected) over point-to-point links.

Is there anything crazy I need to be aware of? From what I've researched it looks like MOSPF (ospf w/multicast) seems to be the solution. It's basically the same as rigging PVST+ with regards to segregating flow patterns.

It seems like the de-facto mcast protocol (assuming you're running cisco kit everywhere) is pim sparse. Other than that the only option I'm aware of is DVMRP as Cisco doesn't support MOSPF/CBT. Or you can also carry mcast in MBGP.

The netcraftsmen papers have a pretty good basic coverage to get you up to speed with the various protocols and concepts: http://www.netcraftsmen.net/welcher/papers/multicast01.html

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Girdle Wax posted:

It seems like the de-facto mcast protocol (assuming you're running cisco kit everywhere) is pim sparse. Other than that the only option I'm aware of is DVMRP as Cisco doesn't support MOSPF/CBT. Or you can also carry mcast in MBGP.

The netcraftsmen papers have a pretty good basic coverage to get you up to speed with the various protocols and concepts: http://www.netcraftsmen.net/welcher/papers/multicast01.html

I looked up the pim sparse settings with declaring the match statement akin to a crypto map and setting the interfaces to flood the traffic out. Is there much more to it than that?

Thank you for the links, will dive through those tonight.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

jbusbysack posted:

I looked up the pim sparse settings with declaring the match statement akin to a crypto map and setting the interfaces to flood the traffic out. Is there much more to it than that?

Thank you for the links, will dive through those tonight.

You need to designate 1 or more RPs in your network, and tell all your PIM edges what the RP addresses are (this can be handled automatically with PIMv2). Papers 3 & 4 cover sparse mode, and RP strategies respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

jbusbysack posted:

Personally what I use is a USB/serial converter device that I then plug the rollover cable into. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107108 for example. Don't mess around with ethernet jacks and console cables it's just a mess.

There can be only one.

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/

(Just a third opinion.)