Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I half-heartedly came up with a Download scheme, but I think a better template is necessary.

This is the first wiki I've dabbled with, and we need to get a table going for the various drops or rants that are present. I think Carthag had mentioned it.

ex:
Rants
[X] Cranberry
[X] Traffic
[ ] Airport Security

Drops
[X] You're fat
[X] The world is your oyster
[X] DAG

I think that just even an incomplete list would suffice; however, I think that it would be better reserved for extremely notable rants. Such as the Tori Amos show where Adam criticizes felons fathering children while in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Rushmore posted:

MY idea was that all this could be added into the main site... Just add anything about the episodes. But do whatever you want iwth the wiki

Well, the problem is now that the main site can't be edited. The person who submits the episode summary has to be as detailed as possible.

Rushmore
Jun 3, 2005

My name's Rushmore, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!
but you can just add an extra description to add more detail. I can add in an edit function if you's want

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Rushmore posted:

but you can just add an extra description to add more detail. I can add in an edit function if you's want
If you're making changes to the front page of the site, could you stick in a link to the wiki? If it's there already I'm just missing it.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Rushmore posted:

Edit function would be awesome.

I started adding stuff to the wiki about memes and catchphrases.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just added "The world is your oyster." Does anybody know what episode its from?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Attack Crows!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/world/asia/07crows.html

quote:

May 7, 2008
Kagoshima Journal
Japan Fights Crowds of Crows
By MARTIN FACKLER

KAGOSHIMA, Japan — Fanning out in small teams, the men in gray jumpsuits scour the streets and rooftops with binoculars, seeking to guard this city from a growing menace. They look for telltale signs: a torn garbage bag, a pile of twigs atop an electric pole or one of the black, winged culprits themselves.

“There’s one!” a shout goes up.

Sure enough, one of their quarry flies brazenly overhead: a crow, giving a loud, taunting caw as it passed.

This is the Crow Patrol of utility company Kyushu Electric Power, on the hunt for crows whose nests on electric poles have caused a string of blackouts in this city of a half-million on Japan’s southern island of Kyushu.

Blackouts are just one of the problems caused by an explosion in Japan’s population of crows, which have grown so numerous that they seem to compete with humans for space in this crowded nation. Communities are scrambling to find ways to relocate or reduce their crow populations, as ever larger flocks of loud, ominous birds have taken over parks and nature reserves, frightening away residents.

It is a scourge straight out of Hitchcock, and the crows here look and act the part. With wing spans up to a yard and intimidating black beaks and sharp claws, Japan’s crows are bigger, more aggressive and downright scarier than those usually seen in North America.

Attacks, though rare, do happen. Hungry crows have bloodied the faces of children while trying to steal candy from their hands. Crows have even carried away baby prairie dogs and ducklings from Tokyo zoos, city officials said.

While no one knows the precise number of crows in Japan, bird experts and government officials in cities across the nation say populations have increased enormously since the 1990s. Tokyo says the number of crows it has counted in large parks rose to 36,400 in 2001 from 7,000 in the late 1980s, prompting a trapping plan that cut the numbers to 18,200 last year. However, ornithologists say that the actual number in Tokyo is closer to 150,000 birds, and that some crows may have moved to different areas to avoid the traps.

Behind the rise, experts and officials say, has been the growing abundance of garbage, a product of Japan’s embrace of more wasteful Western lifestyles. This has created an orgy of eating for crows, which are scavengers. Some steps taken to reduce crows include putting garbage into yellow plastic bags, a color the birds supposedly cannot see through, and covering trash with fine-mesh netting, to prevent large beaks from reaching the goodies within.

Still, the crows have proven clever at foiling human efforts to control them. In Kagoshima, they are even trying to outsmart the Crow Patrol. The birds have begun building dummy nests as decoys to draw patrol members away from their real nests.

“They are trying to outfox us,” said Kazuhide Kyutoku, deputy chief of Kyushu Electric’s facilities safety group, which conducts the patrols. “They aren’t willing to give up territory to humans.”

The birds seem to be winning. Mr. Kyutoku said despite the twice-weekly patrols, which have removed 600 nests since they began three years ago, the number of nests keeps increasing, as have blackouts. The utility says there were three major cutoffs last year. The biggest was in March, when a strand of wire in a nest short-circuited power lines, briefly blacking out Kagoshima’s central port district. In another cutoff, some 610 homes and businesses lost power for 48 minutes when a crow stuck its beak into a high-voltage power line.

Crows have also shown a surprising ability to disrupt Japan’s super-modern technological infrastructure. In the last two years, utility companies in Tokyo reported almost 1,400 cases of crows cutting fiber optic cables, apparently to use as materials for nests. Blackouts have become common nationwide, including one last year in the northern prefecture of Akita that briefly shut down high-speed bullet train service.

“Japanese react to crows because we fear them,” said Michio Matsuda, a board member of the Wild Bird Society of Japan and author of books on crows. “We are not sure sometimes who is smarter, us or the crows.”

The crow explosion has created a moral quandary for Japan, a nation that prides itself on nonviolence and harmony with nature, because culling programs are the only truly effective method of population control.

Tokyo was one of the first to take lethal measures, under the lead of its strong-willed governor, Shintaro Ishihara. Mr. Ishihara angrily ordered the city into action after a crow buzzed his head while he was playing golf, city officials said.

In 2001, the city began setting traps in parks and nature reserves, using raw meat as a lure. In the following seven years, the city captured more than 93,000 crows, which it killed by sticking the meat in trash bags filled with poison gas. Tokyo says the number of crow-related complaints from residents have dropped as a result.

“In the old days, crows and humans could live together peacefully, but now the species are clashing,” said Naoki Satou, the chief of planning in Tokyo’s environmental department, which conducts crow countermeasures. “All we really want to do is go back to that golden age of co-existence.”

Other communities, like Tsuruoka, a city in the northwestern prefecture of Yamagata, have started following suit.

Tsuruoka installed traps last year after about 7,000 crows took over a central park and the playground of a nearby high school, said Soichiro Miura, chief of the city’s environmental measures division. He said students complained of crow droppings so thick they had to use umbrellas, and of birds flying into classrooms to steal box lunches.

While the city said it killed only 200 crows last year, the use of traps has stirred opposition. A local ornithologist, Michiyo Goto of Yamagata University, called for nonviolent alternatives, such as relocating the crows outside the city by building an appealing habitat for nesting, which she said was a brightly lighted area with no underbrush to hide predators.

“Once you start killing them, there’s no end,” Ms. Goto said. “You can’t stop the damage unless you exterminate every last crow.”

Adam would be proud. :coal:

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.
hahaha Crow Patrol.

one question that's always intrigued me is how the hell Anderson does what he does so well?
I don't know much about radio production, but I often hear Drew saying "Anderson put that on a cart", which I assume are the segments of data that hold all Anderson's drops.. but.. how the hell is he so fast with some of them?

Does he have an iTunes-ish method where he types "laug" and all the carts with "laugh" come up and he chooses what he wants, or does he remember it by number? Have they ever explained how Anderson works his Liberaci magic on air?

DrBagpipes
Nov 21, 2003
I AM A STUPID SHITHEEL
I actually got a chicken s ticket for "failure to obey a traffic device" or whatever they call it when I ran a red turn arrow at an otherwise green intersection. There was nobody coming at all, and I thought everyone behind me was far enough away it wasn't an issue.

I told the cop I was in a rush because my passenger was pregnant (true) and had to pee really bad (not true). All that made him do was write the ticket faster, the bastard.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
What is the fee for that? do you get insurance points? I spent like 20 minutes trying to find it for NC on google. You should have dropped Adam's name.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

The Pantheon posted:

hahaha Crow Patrol.

one question that's always intrigued me is how the hell Anderson does what he does so well?
I don't know much about radio production, but I often hear Drew saying "Anderson put that on a cart", which I assume are the segments of data that hold all Anderson's drops.. but.. how the hell is he so fast with some of them?

Does he have an iTunes-ish method where he types "laug" and all the carts with "laugh" come up and he chooses what he wants, or does he remember it by number? Have they ever explained how Anderson works his Liberaci magic on air?

Bryan is also doing a fantastic job on Adam's morning show. Somebody will say something incriminating, and he'll have it recorded and ready as a drop within minutes. For example, Theresa made the mistake of taking part of a discussion involving titles of products, one of which included KY Jelly. In context, it makes sense, but minutes later, Bryan's playing the drop of Theresa saying "I have a very dry vagina", and I'm laughing my rear end off.

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah

The Pantheon posted:

There was one episode where they talked about it a bit, one where some other engineer was subbing for him. I believe that it's a letter then a two digit number or something, except half of them are drops you had never heard or just nothing. I guess Anderson just loving memorized them all.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Primae noctis menage a trois.

Hydrogen Oxide posted:

There was one episode where they talked about it a bit, one where some other engineer was subbing for him. I believe that it's a letter then a two digit number or something, except half of them are drops you had never heard or just nothing. I guess Anderson just loving memorized them all.

I think I remember that episode. They had the stand-in engineer start pressing random codes, and one of the drops that came up was the "All Your Base" music.

YardGlass
Jan 21, 2003

Instant asshole: Just add beer
If that's the case then that's pretty impressive as sometimes he'll pull a drop from out of nowhere. I'm not talking about the normal ones either - that would be fairly easy to memorise, but I've heard shows were someone mentions something weird and Anderson has a drop for it straight away.

I always imagined it to be a system where you type what you want and select it as The Pantheon says.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Phone posted:

I just added "The world is your oyster." Does anybody know what episode its from?
I don't think anyone knows. Adam always insist he must have been stoned/drunk at the time, but no one knows the real answer. It's been lost.

Does anyone know what Adam Sandler movies "JUST DO IT!" and "ahahahah shaddup!" are from?

Hydrogen Oxide posted:

This is pretty much it. They've had a few discussions on-air about it, and Anderson doesn't have filenames like "The world is your oyster", they're things like s27. He has simply memorized them all and punches them up at lightning speed. When I first started trying to figure out how he did it I thought he was using the ten second delay in his favor somehow, but after listening closely you can hear the hosts reacting to his drops as well, so he's simply that fast. He really is the Liberace of the Potentiomaters.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Grifter posted:

I don't think anyone knows. Adam always insist he must have been stoned/drunk at the time, but no one knows the real answer. It's been lost.

I remember hearing the whole thing live but I've never been able to find the episode. I do know that he was either not stoned/drunk, or he's such a heavyweight that you can't tell; he sounded completely sincere.

BiscuitErsedRenton
May 28, 2006

Depression, boredom... You feel so fucking low, you want to fucking top yourself.

Grifter posted:

Does anyone know what Adam Sandler movies "JUST DO IT!" and "ahahahah shaddup!" are from?

Billy Madison. "JUST DO IT!" happens when he's getting the kid to call his hot teacher. "ahahahha shaddup!" I believe is from the scene at the lunch table.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

The Pantheon posted:

I was looking for a picture I've seen of his setup, but couldn't find it. It looked like a 4 x 20 rack of carts (like 8-track tapes) with various funny labels on them.

On the bright side I found a great cache of images on The Loveline Compantion. so I thought I'd share.

Let's start with Anderson:

Anderson and his film tattoo (bald Bryan in the background).

Anderson working the board.

Bald Bryan and Anderson at the computer. I think that stack the the left are the carts they use to store drops on.

Call screener "TARE-ah"-don't-call-me-"TAR-ah"-godammnit.

Wide view of the control room after Adam left with bald Bryan. Note that Leykis redecorated the place.

Another wide view, opposite angle.

Anderson's view of the show.

Adam and Drew in the glory days.

Drew always picked the calls. Note the post-its that Drew used to indicate which call he wanted to take next.

This is where the guest sat. (It's Amber Benson in this photo).

The phone line buttons Adam used to hang up on people.

The call screen. high tech LCD for back in the day.

Closer up on the call screen. Note how it highlights the current call, something that Adam has been complaining doesn't happen on the screen at his morning show.

Close up on a call description. ("Zoloff" :lol: ).

Another close up of a description.

The lobby of Westwood One. Adam always complains about the crappy carpentry.

The reception area.

Again from a different angle.

The studio doorway after Adam left.

The studio today.

The studio on Crank Yankers.

The bathroom Adam and Drew were always leaving to pee in.

The urinal in there.

The massive construction outside the studio that went on for about a year.

The tunnel they had to walk through to get to work.

A sign at the front of the tunnel. The band "The Used" signed it.

Adam and Lynette.

Drew and Susan.

Drew and his daughter Paulina.

Drew with Douglas and Jordan.

Drew with his triplets.

Drew as a kid.

BiscuitErsedRenton posted:

Billy Madison. "JUST DO IT!" happens when he's getting the kid to call his hot teacher. "ahahahha shaddup!" I believe is from the scene at the lunch table.

Also I just discovered the "This is drat exciting stuff." drop is from "Defending Your Life". It's bizarre to hear a drop in real life.

Malachi Constant fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 8, 2008

Jagfire
Aug 16, 2003

Boing!
Awesome pictures, thanks for those. But why is Adam's wife ugly? :(

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

She made appearances on his remodeling show on TLC and I thought she was pretty attractive. Adam also did no disservice to his love of the full-chested woman by marrying her.

BiscuitErsedRenton
May 28, 2006

Depression, boredom... You feel so fucking low, you want to fucking top yourself.

Malachi Constant posted:

* pictures *

Thank you for this. It's great to see how my mental images of the show and studio are so different from reality. Now anytime I hear the show, I have a reference of what's going on spatially.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Jagfire posted:

Dude, she's far from ugly. She's just not 19.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Anderson is punk as gently caress. Guess I should have seen that one coming.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jagfire posted:

Whaaat she's hot as hell dude.

AircraftNoise
May 9, 2008
The Adam Carolla show is loving awesome! Hes always got some off the wall poo poo to talk about or some weird guest. Good show.

Saerdna
Aug 8, 2004
I just found Taboo 2 and uploaded the theme music that Adam was so fond of singing to Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_9peBUo8VM

The video itself is a disappointment, but the song is certainly uplifting.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Thanks to Adam, I know all the lyrics now.

"Maybe you did... but you DON'T"

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Absolut Mike posted:

Thanks to Adam, I know all the lyrics now.

"Maybe you did... but you DON'T"
The 4-2-03 show has a great rendition of that song. Randy Jackson (the american idol judge is on) and Adam performs that song for him. The review is less than pleasant. Surprisingly, Randy had the same reaction to Drew's opera.

mrburns
Oct 9, 2007
I love this show. I listen to it every night at work for the entire 8 hour shift. I've almost watched every show on the archive in a little over 3 months.

It makes me so sad that Adam left :(

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.

Malachi Constant posted:

The tunnel they had to walk through to get to work.

My god the rape tunnel. Ohh Malachi good times, good times. Yeah Anderson truly had a gift.

I don't listen to the modern LoveLine now.. but does Anderson still use any Adam drops? Or .. dear god any Stryker drops other than that "OUT OF ALL THE EX-BOYFRIENDS I'VE HAD I'VE ONLY EVER GIVEN THEM HAND-JOBS HAHAH-"

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Grifter posted:

Anderson is punk as gently caress. Guess I should have seen that one coming.

"Engineer Anderson (foreground) with his friend, BJ, moments before BJ shaves Anderson bald with a Bic razor."

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Man, what a shock. This is pretty much how I always pictured Anderson in my head.

DrBagpipes
Nov 21, 2003
I AM A STUPID SHITHEEL

Ribsauce posted:

What is the fee for that? do you get insurance points? I spent like 20 minutes trying to find it for NC on google. You should have dropped Adam's name.

It was a few years ago, but the fine was $100, give or take $25. I don't remember there being any mention of points on my license, however. I can't tell you how it affected my insurance if it did at all.

I would have mentioned Adam, but I was so embarrassed because I had just spent the past 5 minutes telling the girl that I did it all the time and never got caught and how awesome Adam was for telling me to do it.

Edit: This was in Florida. I have no idea how NC rolls.

DrBagpipes fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 12, 2008

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

DrBagpipes posted:

I would have mentioned Adam, but I was so embarrassed because I had just spent the past 5 minutes telling the girl that I did it all the time and never got caught and how awesome Adam was for telling me to do it.

yea my nightmare is pretty much putting myself over in front of some hot chick as I run my 9 thousandth red light in a row only to hear "woop woop" 7 seconds later

BAM!
Jun 23, 2007
2005-10-03 (Jenna Fischer) is an excellent episode for Adam rants. Including:

-impound lots (possibly the beginning of "Rapebank"?)
-traffic (this one's a doozy)
-and of course, a fantastic lightning round

They don't talk about The Office much, and she's an okay guest (kinda quiet) but it's worth a listen.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Man, what a shock. This is pretty much how I always pictured Anderson in my head.

I didn't even realize it til I actually saw a picture of Anderson but I pretty much envisioned him looking like Tory from Mythbusters. :wtc:

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.
Radicals. Just added an episode I listened to last night in which Adam coins the term "Sploozers", and gets into a fight with Jerri Manthey from Survivor over her financial secrecy.

Enjoy!

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uqt9zFbeiU

To Hell and Back

Kickus
Sep 24, 2000
What's that place called where they hide all the books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.

Kickus posted:

What's that place called where they hide all the books?

You know, the place where you can rent books. What is that called, the book house?

• Locked thread