Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.
Well, the telecaster is finished. I took it in to see what the issue with the bridge was, and I ended up having to route pickup cavity a bit further towards the neck, and modifying the pickguard a bit. It went well, and I'll have pictures soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Guys, I'm in need of a good booster pedal. I don't really want an EQ pedal because I'm happy with my sound, I just needed it boosted for certain lead work. I'm currently using a Maxon OD9 tubescreamer as my booster, on top of my Jekyll & Hyde overdrive. It's not too effective as a booster though (and I generally leave them both on as I LOVE what the OD9 adds.

I was thinking about the Seymour Duncan pickup booster ?

I just recently picked up an MXR MC-402, which is a boost and od in one pedal. The OD is kinda lame, but the boost is exactly what I wanted; something I can step on to push myself through the mix a little bit for soloing. It's got a clean volume boost that doesn't make it sound trebely or bassy... just a nice clean boost. You can get the boost by itself in a smaller pedal in the MC-401. Just another option to consider .

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Guys, I'm in need of a good booster pedal. I don't really want an EQ pedal because I'm happy with my sound, I just needed it boosted for certain lead work. I'm currently using a Maxon OD9 tubescreamer as my booster, on top of my Jekyll & Hyde overdrive. It's not too effective as a booster though (and I generally leave them both on as I LOVE what the OD9 adds.

I was thinking about the Seymour Duncan pickup booster ?

The EHX Knockout is pretty a pretty unique boost, but not really a conventional booster and probably not what you're looking for but check it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjgRfQOOR70

They only really show it as a way to get humbuckers to sound like a strat and a strat sound like a tele but I think its essentially just a booster with more controls on the front end. They also have a traditional powerbooster the LPB-1. Go to https://www.ehx.com click on Effects, then Other and it should be there with a video.

Also we have an effects megathread for this :c00l:

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006
Theres also the MI-Audio Boost N' Buff which can do just a clean boost or add some beef to your sound if you turn the single knob up some.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

3toes posted:

Also we have an effects megathread for this :c00l:

yeah I'm an idiot, I guess I always post in this thread some that's why I did it. Thanks nonetheless for the advice everyone, I'm checking out all those you guys have talked about.

ToiletDuk
Sep 4, 2002

That's right, fat stuff.
Shake those chins!
For the past 10 years I've been slowly building up recording equipment, starting with a lovely $50 mic and a $300 sound card that came with the worst software ever (a lite version of Logic whose UI was designed by Nazi scientists). After years of small purchases and a considerable increase in capital when I was the beneficiary of a class action lawsuit settlement against my former employer (EA) for overworking me without giving me overtime, I now have a home studio that I can officially call "complete enough" to have transcended the realms of DIY and into legitimate production equipment. So now I shall unveil the baby I store in my bedroom: Bungalow Studios:

[list=1]
[*]John
[*]Paul
[*]George
[*]Ringo
[*]"Decorative" African drums which actually sound pretty cool
[*]Irish Bodhran
[*]Pirate Sword
[*]17" widescreen LCD on a swivel arm with a platform that conveniently stores guitar picks, phono adapters, drugs, and of course the requisite ashtray. It can swivel to face any position in the room where musicians may be standing so they can see lyrics or levels or whatever.
[*]Roland MC-303 Groovebox sequencer (cuz nothin' sounds quite like an eight oh eight)
[*]KORG padKONTROL 16-key velocity-sensitive midi pad with XY controller and knobbies.
[*]Behringer Xenyx1204 12-input mixer with 4 analog pre-amps and phantom power. The pres are actually surprisingly good for such a cheap mixer. I think it cost me $125 and I like the sound better than my dbX mini-pre which cost me the same.
[*]Powered by Buddha nature (and beer, weed, caffeine, and cigarettes)
[*]Metronome
[*]Most recent purchase: Radikal Technologies SAC-2.2 software assigned controller. Transport, jog wheel, 8 digital pots and 8 motorized faders, integrates seamlessly with pro-tools. Retail value $1899. I paid $35 at a flea market in San Francisco a few months ago. Best deal ever.
[*]M-Audio StudioPro 3 monitors (left monitor is behind LCD in picture)
[*]Black tambourine
[*]Dremel tool + plastic coat hangers + drill + clothes dresser + hot glue = bitchin' hooks for coiling mic cables (run behind cabinet to mixer). Offscreen, that same technique gave me hooks for headphones. Total cost of hooks: $1.99 for coat hangers and like 5 cents worth of hot glue.
[*]Centipede perler bead pixel art
[*]KORG Triton Extreme 88-key workstation/sampler (thank you, large cash settlement!)
[*]Alesis Metavox Vocoder (hooked into aux send of mixer for maximum flexibility)
[*]Drawer full of patch cables
[*]Drawer full of FX pedals and hand percussion (egg shakers, maracas, etc)
[*]Accordion
[*]Fender Frontman 25R guitar amp (with line-level aux input that lets it double as a bitchin' PC speaker for listening to music super loud)
[*]Crate B20XL bass amp[/list]

Using my engineering and carpentry skills, the entire wall has been covered in cabinets and shelves fitted to the equipment I'm using. All those outcroppings and platforms are spare IKEA parts that I have cut, nailed, and supported to accomodate all my junk.

Not pictured:
  • Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ w/2gb RAM in mini-ATX case hidden away in cabinetry off-screen with 800 gigs of sweet sweet audio storage
  • Bargain of the century: $99 M-Audio Delta 4-input sound card with pro-tools dongle on-board.
  • 5 acoustics, 2 electrics, a bass, mandolin, ukulele, ukelin, harmonium, electric fan organ, autoharp, hammer dulcimer, tablas, bongos, full size drum kit, child-size drum kit, and of course what studio is complete without Rock Band?

Anyhow, the point of all this is that now I have a full electronic music production, live recording, and mixing/mastering setup in my bedroom (whose only other occupant other than the music wall is my bed). The only thing the space is missing is acoustic treatment, which is my next project (I'm going to install a loop of track on the ceiling that can enclose the recording space in segments of carpeted curtain to adjust the reflectivity). In the spirit of goon goodwill, I would be more than happy to open my studio up to any bay area goons who need studio work done (assuming your reputation makes me feel comfortable letting you into my house full of valuable equipment). I'm half-way down the peninsula in Redwood City with 4 walls of my own and neighbors who are distant enough to tolerate the sound levels. Party time. Excellent.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ToiletDuk posted:

Behringer Xenyx1204 12-input mixer with 4 analog pre-amps and phantom power. The pres are actually surprisingly good for such a cheap mixer. I think it cost me $125 and I like the sound better than my dbX mini-pre which cost me the same.
I got a 1002FX when I was looking for a pre, because it had stereo outputs (and I have synths with stereo inputs), plus it had more than one pre, and an EQ. And effects; the reverb is not stellar, but a gigantic improvement over their first virtualizers.

quote:

Most recent purchase: Radikal Technologies SAC-2.2 software assigned controller. Transport, jog wheel, 8 digital pots and 8 motorized faders, integrates seamlessly with pro-tools. Retail value $1899. I paid $35 at a flea market in San Francisco a few months ago. Best deal ever.
That. Is. Goddamn. Crazy. Congratulations.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

ToiletDuk posted:

Irish Bodhran

That's Bodhrán to you ye Yankie bastard :mad:

Seriously though, I'd love to have distant neighbours and tons of gear with time to mess around :( I live in an apartment with paper thin walls.

WEIRD BEER
Feb 26, 2005

Devi Ever Bit: The Legend of Fuzz pedal.
Should be here Monday or so.:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOQKOLNFVX8&eurl=http://www.deviever.com/fx/bit/index.html if you havent heard of this amazing thing.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

acousticbandit posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOQKOLNFVX8&eurl=http://www.deviever.com/fx/bit/index.html if you havent heard of this amazing thing.

HEY THERE BIT BUDDY

I can also show off a new pedal I bought last night, a Freakshow Digilog Delay.

The only delay that I've liked outside of my Danelectro PB&J. My god, it's awesome. The decay is just as natural sounding as the Danelectro, but it's far more adjustable. The best part is the switch on the right, which is a feedbacking switch. It'll both loop and oscillate your delays, depending on what your settings are.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Susano-maku da! posted:

HEY THERE BIT BUDDY

I can also show off a new pedal I bought last night, a Freakshow Digilog Delay.

The only delay that I've liked outside of my Danelectro PB&J. My god, it's awesome. The decay is just as natural sounding as the Danelectro, but it's far more adjustable. The best part is the switch on the right, which is a feedbacking switch. It'll both loop and oscillate your delays, depending on what your settings are.

I've had my Digilog for a while now and whenever I think I'd like to try another delay I remember how awesome it is.

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.

Grumio posted:

edit: as an interesting aside- Charangos are carved from a single piece of wood (usually Jacaranda or Naranjillo, with other woods in the really high-end models. That being said, the "original" charangos use a hollowed-out Armadillo as their sound box :(

loving head and ears still plainly recognizable.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Ichron posted:

loving head and ears still plainly recognizable.

some of the others are far worse- At least that one doesn't have all the wiry hairs left all over it.

bigtommy
May 8, 2008

by Ozmaugh
I was thinking about picking up an SX from Rondo but just ended up getting a squire affinity at a local guitar seller.

I've only been playing electric for about a year and a half. Its fun as hell to play though.

Heres my first guitar.

Its an LTD Viper 100-FM.

I'll probably end up posting better pictures. This was from my lovely camera phone.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

acousticbandit posted:

This guy is awesome and should demo every piece of gear there is.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

bigtommy posted:

I was thinking about picking up an SX from Rondo but just ended up getting a squire affinity at a local guitar seller.

I've only been playing electric for about a year and a half. Its fun as hell to play though.

Heres my first guitar.

Its an LTD Viper 100-FM.

I'll probably end up posting better pictures. This was from my lovely camera phone.

Not being rude but isnt that kind of a step down rather than up?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Three Red Lights posted:

I hate the way les pauls look but somehow the f holes make me really like that.

I just ordered one of these:

I'm on the fence about modelling stuff but I just had to give it a go. I'll probably post a review when I get it.

Update: this amp sounds like rear end.

I'm actually kind of shocked it sounds this bad. The ones I played in the store sounded great, is it the acoustics in my room? Did I get a dud? Some sudden unnoticed flaw in my guitar causing it to feedback ALL THE TIME?

Also it arrived broken, the bank selection switch thing wont go left. I'm hoping that just means I got a dud but that surely wouldnt affect the actual sound?

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 8, 2008

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

Stux posted:

Not being rude but isnt that kind of a step down rather than up?

Yeah, but very different to play and tonewise.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Got one of these today!

Description here. Oh my it's nice. Very nice. Fuzz Faces are cool, modified FF's using good components are cooler, and trading something that cost me less than $40 is the coolest of all. :q:

Three Red Lights posted:

I'm actually kind of shocked it sounds this bad. The ones I played in the store sounded great, is it the acoustics in my room? Did I get a dud? Some sudden unnoticed flaw in my guitar causing it to feedback ALL THE TIME?

Also it arrived broken, the bank selection switch thing wont go left. I'm hoping that just means I got a dud but that surely wouldnt affect the actual sound?

I'd warranty it. There's no way it should just plain sound like rear end, and you have to remember the sound comes from the digital guts (for the most part - the tube preamp and power amp have a lot to do with it, too, but the voicing and gain characteristics are all Spider III modeling engine). If it isn't working right, it might not be working right at all.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Agreed posted:

Got one of these today!

Description here. Oh my it's nice. Very nice. Fuzz Faces are cool, modified FF's using good components are cooler, and trading something that cost me less than $40 is the coolest of all.

Fucker. I just traded in my Lovepedal 200 lbs of Tone... I've been searching for that elusive Fuzz Face clone that can match my White Dragon. That, however, sounds like a million bucks.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

When I got it in this morning, I couldn't stop playing for the next two and a half hours. I was running the following signal chain:

my Strat-->Planetwaves Chromatic Tuning Pedal-->Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive-->Aramat Mojo Fuzz-->Danelectro Dan-Echo-->Marshall Reflector Reverb-->THD Univalve (powering an oversized 4x12 mixed between 2 English V30s and 2 Vet30s)

I love overdriving the fuzz - depending on how you have the Mojo/bias set, you can get some nasty, sputtery, awesome spitting frenzies, or roll it back to noonish and get an incredibly saturated fuzz with plenty of clarity. I don't think the Fuzz control will ever go below fully on - it's too easy to control it with my guitar's volume knob, and I like having the headroom.

The Wasabi OD and Aramat Mojo Fuzz are an awesome combination. I can turn the OD and the Boost on the Wasabi on, and the Mojo Fuzz becomes super-saturated, dripping harmonics and ultra full and compressed. Just the OD into the Fuzz, controlled with the volume knob, is a very dynamic setup - roll it back to 3-4 on the volume knob and it's a light OD/fuzz, but crank it up and you've got a great sounding, beyond-classic roar.

I also like it just by itself, but as usual, I prefer to layer dirts to get new synergistic sounds.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Three Red Lights posted:

I never really liked these spiders. If I were you I'd try to give it back and get a Flextone. Digital amps and tubes just don't get that well along for some reason. You're not getting the same exact tones on the Flextone but you've got 32 amps and 16 cabs to choose from, so you'll surely like something

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Agreed posted:

Got one of these today!

Description here. Oh my it's nice. Very nice. Fuzz Faces are cool, modified FF's using good components are cooler, and trading something that cost me less than $40 is the coolest of all. :q:

I'd warranty it. There's no way it should just plain sound like rear end, and you have to remember the sound comes from the digital guts (for the most part - the tube preamp and power amp have a lot to do with it, too, but the voicing and gain characteristics are all Spider III modeling engine). If it isn't working right, it might not be working right at all.

It turned out i was wrong about the selection switch, it just needed to be mashed a bit before it stopped being factory stiff.

I've also managed to make it sound a lot less like rear end by mastering the presence control. It seems in order to get rid of obnoxious high end, the best thing to do is not turn it down, but turn it right up and turn the treble itself down.

I'm still getting horrible, horrible feedback at loud volumes though. And I'm not sure if its the amp itself or if its simply trying to check out a loud amp in a small room is an inherently bad idea. In either case, I wont know how it really works loud until I can get it out of my house.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons
Vestax VCI-100 Controller

hooray! new toy!

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Threatis posted:

Vestax VCI-100 Controller

hooray! new toy!

nice! be sure to tell us how well it works

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

Ben and Stew posted:

nice! be sure to tell us how well it works

like a god drat charm. the only complaint i had was the plate at the bottom that goes over the cue buttons was a little off center, and would hold down the play button from time to time. loosening the screws, shifting it a bit and tightening it solved the issue.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Ahhgg my micro pog is here but I have to wait till I get off work at 10 to play with it.

Is this thing supposed to feel like it's hollow?

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie
Only the pickguard and covers are new, but I thought they'd look better than the black on red that was there before. Had to custom order the pickguard so that the screw holes would line up (it's only an '81 but there's no extra holes or routing anywhere). Normally this would have an extra knob and a switch but the preamp is not installed so it's currently wired like a traditional Precision, the holes were cut so that I could add 2 more and the knobs would be in the correct places.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
oh god oh god oh god
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=150244286791&Category=4713&_trksid=p3907.m29

don't be thrown by the word "relic," the wear on this thing is real and it's like in the same town as me and aaaaaaaughhh why cant i afford it!!!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Three Red Lights posted:

It turned out i was wrong about the selection switch, it just needed to be mashed a bit before it stopped being factory stiff.

I've also managed to make it sound a lot less like rear end by mastering the presence control. It seems in order to get rid of obnoxious high end, the best thing to do is not turn it down, but turn it right up and turn the treble itself down.

I'm still getting horrible, horrible feedback at loud volumes though. And I'm not sure if its the amp itself or if its simply trying to check out a loud amp in a small room is an inherently bad idea. In either case, I wont know how it really works loud until I can get it out of my house.

Sounds to me that you might have microphonic pickups in your guitar. Tap on them when you're plugged in- If it makes a really loud thunk, the pickups are the culprit. You might try backing down the gain a bit too.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
^^ we've used all sorts of guitars on the thing and it doesn't make a difference. At a certain point, if the built in distortion is too high or the volume is too high, it'll feedback no matter what.

Three Red Lights posted:

I'm not surprised. A buddy of mine has a similar model and just messing with random effects will cause the house to shake with feedback. I thought all the preset effects sounded like rear end and any distortion/overdrive has horrendous feedback at anything past a quarter volume.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Could be a microphonic tube also... The test is lightly tapping on each tube with a chopstick. If you get any noise whatsoever, the tube is microphonic. Check the preamp tubes first. Be really careful doing this though, and you might even leave this to a pro if you think there is any chance of voiding your warranty by opening up the chassis.

MrWeight
Dec 9, 2006

by Ozma

Alfa Tard posted:

Only the pickguard and covers are new, but I thought they'd look better than the black on red that was there before. Had to custom order the pickguard so that the screw holes would line up (it's only an '81 but there's no extra holes or routing anywhere). Normally this would have an extra knob and a switch but the preamp is not installed so it's currently wired like a traditional Precision, the holes were cut so that I could add 2 more and the knobs would be in the correct places.

Are you in The PimpBot

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

Alfa Tard posted:

What's with the hosed up tuning machine alignment?

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T
CIJ '52RI Telecaster:

It's not that new, but its innards/4 way switch are new. Is it normal to hear a tiny little buzz whenever the guitar is plugged in and the amp is on, and then it goes away if you're touching a metal part of the guitar like the strings? This happens with my mexistrat aswell and I have never fiddled with its insides.

Also, any suggestions for bridge pickup replacements? I have decided that the texas special bridge pickup is kind of lovely.

edit: vvvv fender blues deluxe reissue amp vvvv

if it fries me to death I leave all my guitars to whoever finds my corpse

cylyk fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 10, 2008

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

cylyk posted:

CIJ '52RI Telecaster:

It's not that new, but its innards/4 way switch are new. Is it normal to hear a tiny little buzz whenever the guitar is plugged in and the amp is on, and then it goes away if you're touching a metal part of the guitar like the strings? This happens with my mexistrat aswell and I have never fiddled with its insides.

Also, any suggestions for bridge pickup replacements? I have decided that the texas special bridge pickup is kind of lovely.

Something isn't grounded. What kind of amp are you using?

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

cylyk posted:

CIJ '52RI Telecaster:

edit: vvvv fender blues deluxe reissue amp vvvv

if it fries me to death I leave all my guitars to whoever finds my corpse

Yeah, all single coils will normally buzz a little.

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.

PenguinBob posted:

oh god oh god oh god
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=150244286791&Category=4713&_trksid=p3907.m29

don't be thrown by the word "relic," the wear on this thing is real and it's like in the same town as me and aaaaaaaughhh why cant i afford it!!!

That guy's description just makes me mad. He says, "There are lots of dings, scratches, and play wear on this bass that add to her vintage beauty and street cred."

But true, it's still better than purposely taking a torch and hammer to it.

Buergermeister
Oct 19, 2003

You serious?

The Heritage H150 classic, brown sunburn. Mine since 90 minutes... :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

hamaien posted:

Is this thing supposed to feel like it's hollow?

Electro Harmonix in general feel that way. Good sounds and all, but the chassis are kind of cheaply made.