Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Whoo, put new wheels and tires on the coupe finally. Next, to finish the exhaust system, and then to start thinking about where I can pull my transmission to replace the shift pins.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Just posting in to say I did a little bit of easy work on my E36 last night.

- Fixed my swaybar end link, the U-bracket was cocked a little bit so the end link was turned at about a 45° angle from where it should have been.
- Replaced a missing roundel sticker on my wheel
- Replaced a turn-up plastic but underneath the brake cooling duct, it had been hanging down ever since the duct tape I applied wore off.
- Replated the front plate trim with front no-plate trim
- Noticed the rear O2 wires hanging down, their protective harness torn apart, and wrapped the wires in electrical tape and secured them
- Noticed oil on the bottom of the (manual) transmission housing, oh god I hope I dont have a busted seal or something. Will replace the transmission oil hopefully this weekend.

Nothing exciting, just some quick after-work stuff I needed to do.

clredwolf
Aug 12, 2006

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

1000 is just the end of the stream of codes, which in your case you have none. You only get 1444 if you had a fault but it is now gone. When you get a 1444 you can erase it, and then you'll get a 1000.

Edit: Actually, I think that might be backwards. After the code finishes press the gas pedal down for over 10 seconds, then rerun the test. You should see 1444 then.

Ok cool, thanks! About to take the car in for a tune-up (boo apartments with no space for tools), just wanted to make sure nothing else was borked.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Cush Bowl posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the M1

http://eurocarblog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/05/bmwm1.jpg

That's a photoshopped Audi R8 ;)

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Mad Dragon posted:

That's a photoshopped Audi R8 ;)

Wow I saw a loving black R8 driving around town today. At 30km/h..with an old woman behind the wheel. Sigh.

That PS reminds me of the Ford concept that was white and glass everywhere. I think Ford made it into the GT or something.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
label switching is fun. i can relate to that.

Sigma X posted:

Whoo, put new wheels and tires on the coupe finally. Next, to finish the exhaust system, and then to start thinking about where I can pull my transmission to replace the shift pins.

I thought you had an M coupe, not a base Z3 coupe.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

multiprotocol posted:

I thought you had an M coupe, not a base Z3 coupe.

He replaced the M vents on the side with standard Z3 ones.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

TractionControl posted:

He replaced the M vents on the side with standard Z3 ones.

And removed the M emblem from the rear. It's surprised a couple of people so far. I can't say the wheels are a step in the right direction towards making it less conspicuous, though.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

Xenoid posted:

Wow I saw a loving black R8 driving around town today. At 30km/h..with an old woman behind the wheel. Sigh.

That PS reminds me of the Ford concept that was white and glass everywhere. I think Ford made it into the GT or something.

Actually that's exactly the source image, it was posted on Autoblog, it was a white Ford GT looking thing in the same hangar but mirrored.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

TractionControl posted:

I have never ever been impressed by The Truth About Cars.

They did give the 335i a good review. The reviewer rated it as one of the best 3 cars he's ever driven.

But ya, 90% of the stuff on that site is crap. And the other 10% is only good because I happen to agree with it.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I've been eyeballing a few E30 325i cars for a while now. Most of them are 87-90 models which I love the look of. The problem is that most of the E30s I've been able to find in my price range have 150k-200k miles on the odometer. I'd like to buy one to daily drive/autocross.
I have a primary car that my girlfriend and I share so if the E30 were to break down I could park it somewhere till I have time to fix it on a weekend. I'm concerned though that one of these cars could turn into a massive pain in the rear end where instead of spending me weekends doing some improvements at a leisurely pace I would constantly find myself frantically trying to repair what had most recently broken so I could drive myself to work instead of carpooling with my girlfriend. Is there hope for me? If I were to buy an E30 with 150,000+ miles on the odometer should I expect to find myself spending every Saturday morning/afternoon doing my best to prevent the car from falling apart?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Sigma X posted:

That's so silly it looks great. They fill the wheel wells pretty much perfectly. I really like that look, and I don't like new wheels on many newer cars.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

CoffeeBooze posted:

If I were to buy an E30 with 150,000+ miles on the odometer should I expect to find myself spending every Saturday morning/afternoon doing my best to prevent the car from falling apart?

I know you've heard this before, but... it all depends on the previous owners. I tend to aim for enthusiast owned cars, but people with common sense tend to a) take care of their cars and b) keep records. Of course, there are ALOT of people out there with no common sense whatsoever, and the age of the E30 will lead you to alot of shady/questionable cars. Are you in a hurry to buy? It took me 5 months to find my Ti, and that was with the specific intent of throwing the entire drivetrain (and plenty else) out... maybe I'm just absurdly picky, but it made all the difference to me. Also, check out the classifieds in Roundel; I've been seeing some pretty reasonable E30s there recently...

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
Also, I built a new exhaust this weekend for the Ti. 3" full 304 stainless from the collectors on back, twin magnaflow cans, stock-ish single tip. It sounds... quite nice. Looks stock from the rear (the tip protrudes less than an inch from the bumper).

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I drove the 135i at last Sunday's BMW 1-series event in Montreal and I can honestly say that I've never been as impressed by a car as I was by that one. The handling of that car is just phenomenal. The brakes were amazing as well. Heavy acceleration out of curves is noticeably faster with the manual transmission (vs. the automatic), but for normal driving the automatic does the job really well.

The other thing BMW was keen on showing us was Active Steering which, while it works really well, is not really something I'd want -- I prefer my steering to be predictable.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!
I'm coming up on my oil change interval, and I'm wondering how to reset the countdown if I do it myself or visit a local (non-BMW) shop to have it done. Also, my owner's manual talks about the particular BMW oil, what type of consumer oil is the best choice for my purchase?

For reference, mine is a 2002 MINI Cooper S.

Thanks a lot in advance!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Moruitelda posted:

I'm coming up on my oil change interval, and I'm wondering how to reset the countdown if I do it myself or visit a local (non-BMW) shop to have it done. Also, my owner's manual talks about the particular BMW oil, what type of consumer oil is the best choice for my purchase?

Thanks a lot in advance!

1. Locate the trip odometer button and depress and hold.
2. Insert the key into the ignition and partially turn into the first position.
3. Pay attention to the trip odometer to display the word ‘RESET’.
4. Release the trip odometer button, then press & hold it again.
5. The ‘RESET’ message will flash.
6. Release the button, and then press & release again (once only)
7. The service interval is now reset to 10,000 miles

From http://www.minicarparts.net/TechTips/MC-MCS_ResetOilIndicator.cfm

This is what I use on mine, and it works, though I think it resets to 15,000 on my non-S.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

el topo posted:

I drove the 135i at last Sunday's BMW 1-series event in Montreal and I can honestly say that I've never been as impressed by a car as I was by that one. The handling of that car is just phenomenal. The brakes were amazing as well. Heavy acceleration out of curves is noticeably faster with the manual transmission (vs. the automatic), but for normal driving the automatic does the job really well.

The other thing BMW was keen on showing us was Active Steering which, while it works really well, is not really something I'd want -- I prefer my steering to be predictable.

Any more of these? I can't find any info on these events, this aspect of the BMW site is really confusing.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

3363 posted:

Any more of these? I can't find any info on these events, this aspect of the BMW site is really confusing.

I couldn't say, I had signed up for the event a few weeks prior.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

3363 posted:

BMW Canada was running these events across the country throughout April and May. Unfortunately, I think Montreal was the last one scheduled.

If they were still running, simply accessing the 1-Series page on their website would have taken you straight to the sign-up for the test drive event.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

MrChips posted:

BMW Canada was running these events across the country throughout April and May. Unfortunately, I think Montreal was the last one scheduled.

If they were still running, simply accessing the 1-Series page on their website would have taken you straight to the sign-up for the test drive event.

Oh okay, I'm getting obsessed with these. I just went to the Lexux IS-F one and I'm signed up for an Audi one in July, I just want more free track time in poo poo I can't afford.

NON
Jun 5, 2003

GAY
I'm curious...I'm looking to buy an M3 either this year or the next: What's a good place to look for them to buy? I see a lot of good deals on ebay motors, which seems to get a lot of flak on here and the other forums ("stealerships").

What reliable places are there to shop for an M3 for a reasonable amount? I've seen a lot of 2002-2004's for between $20k-$28k on ebay motors, for reference.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

Moruitelda posted:

Thanks a lot in advance!

Anyone have any suggestions for what oil to use?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Moruitelda posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for what oil to use?

Im pretty sure BMW/Mini say to use Castrol Syntec 5W30.

Thats all Ive ever used, and it seems to make the car happy.

missed_again
Nov 8, 2005
Guys, i need your moral support :(

I've been looking to drop around $15,000 to $20,000 on a new (to me) car, and i've been considering a ~2002 BMW 3 series, but nearly everyone i know has told me to just get something else, because apparently all BMW owners are cocky twats and I would end up looking like one too.

Is this true? Do people really despise BMW owners so much?

I'm stuck trying to decide between TSXs, G35s, CTSs, and a 3 series (how well does the awd perform, by the way?), and i like the 3 series but i don't want one if people will think i'm a twat.

It's all just bullshit right? Ignorant jealousy?

And before you say anything, yeah I do care what people think, considering what field of work i'm in and will continue to be in for the majority of my foreseeable future, it's important that I not look like a complete and utter twat (although looking successful isn't a bad thing).

God BMWs are purdy cars.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

CornHolio posted:

Im pretty sure BMW/Mini say to use Castrol Syntec 5W30.

Thats all Ive ever used, and it seems to make the car happy.

"BMW" oil IS rebadged Castrol Syntec.

missed_again posted:

I've been looking to drop around $15,000 to $20,000 on a new (to me) car, and i've been considering a ~2002 BMW 3 series, but nearly everyone i know has told me to just get something else, because apparently all BMW owners are cocky twats and I would end up looking like one too.

I'm stuck trying to decide between TSXs, G35s, CTSs, and a 3 series (how well does the awd perform, by the way?), and i like the 3 series but i don't want one if people will think i'm a twat.

It's all just bullshit right? Ignorant jealousy?

And before you say anything, yeah I do care what people think, considering what field of work i'm in and will continue to be in for the majority of my foreseeable future, it's important that I not look like a complete and utter twat (although looking successful isn't a bad thing).

God BMWs are purdy cars.

People that own BMWs and know nothing about them and think that cars run by magic are twats. If you educate yourself and realize a BMW is not a Ferrari, you should be fine. Don't get a BMW for the AWD, also.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

missed_again posted:

and which field is this?

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

Don't get a BMW for the AWD, also.

You obviously haven't seen the latest xDrive system with the QMVH rear differential that is found on the x6.

Imagine controlling power to the rear wheels side to side, not by pulsing the brakes, but by actually controlling the flow of power to each rear wheel.

The x6 is ugly, but its AWD is beautiful.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Lufiron posted:

You obviously haven't seen the latest xDrive system with the QMVH rear differential that is found on the x6.

Imagine controlling power to the rear wheels side to side, not by pulsing the brakes, but by actually controlling the flow of power to each rear wheel.

The x6 is ugly, but its AWD is beautiful.

But the question was with regards to an E46 3-series...

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Lufiron posted:

You obviously haven't seen the latest xDrive system...

missed_again posted:

I've been looking to drop around $15,000 to $20,000 on a new (to me) car, and i've been considering a ~2002 BMW 3 series...

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

aventari posted:

and which field is this?

Game show host.

FastBurner
Jun 20, 2005

How's My Posting? Dial 1-800-Eat-Shit.

el topo posted:

I actually got one of these last month. It's an amazing car. If anyone is on the fnece about buying one, feel free to ask me any questions. For reference, I have it with the manual transmission and winter package only and I've put about 1200 miles on it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

FastBurner posted:

I actually got one of these last month. It's an amazing car. If anyone is on the fnece about buying one, feel free to ask me any questions. For reference, I have it with the manual transmission and winter package only and I've put about 1200 miles on it.

I'd be interested in some pictures of the car... did you get the 128i or the 135i?

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

:words:

Sorry, I thought you were speaking in generalities about BMW and its AWD.

missed_again
Nov 8, 2005

Sterndotstern posted:

Game show host.

God, thinking about it this is the closest guess i've ever seen on a forum with no background information :sigh:

And i'm in Canada and the roads get absolutely poo poo here, so any help an AWD system could provide is help that i'll happily accept.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

missed_again posted:

God, thinking about it this is the closest guess i've ever seen on a forum with no background information :sigh:

"Mad fisting assholes up to the elbow" tipped me off.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

missed_again posted:

God BMWs are purdy cars.

I own a 2002 325i, yes people do seem to be a bit more dickish around me with this car (though I came from a Police Package Crown Vic, so take that as you will). They are loving beautiful though. I think the E36, E39, and E46 are all amazing looking cars, newer models have too much Bangle in them.

I say test drive the lot, but if you like the BMW don't think about the "looking like a cock" factor. Just go for it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 15, 2008

Auu
Sep 22, 2004
E36 owners, keep an eye on that plastic radiator neck attachment point!! People aren't joking around when they talk about this, turns out!!

This message brought to you by my poor car's engine coolant, now mostly located all over one of the sketchier side streets in east Baltimore :11tea:

(car is fine, luckily I was almost stopped at the time so I was able to turn the car off, seal off the broken parts and get a tow. I'm going to need to put in a new radiator though :( )

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
:siren: Can any of you OBDII E36 coupe owners help me out by testing some stuff? :siren:

If you want to help, tell me these things for both passenger and driver side doors and the trunk:

1. Do your windows/sunroof open when you hold your key in the unlocked position in a closed door?

2. Do your windows/sunroof close when you hold your key in the locked position in a closed door?

3. Do your interior lights turn on when you lift the handle of a locked or unlocked door (obviously, ignore the trunk for this one)?

4. Does everything (including the gas tank) lock at once when you turn the key to a locked position?

5. Does everything (including the gas tank) unlock at once when you turn the key to a unlocked position?

This is all to help me isolate a problem I'm having.

In my situation:

1. No for both sides, and never did as long as I owned the car
2. Used to for both sides, now only does on passenger side
3. Used to for driver side, can't recall if it did or did not for passenger side, but it doesn't now
4. Everything except for the gas tank
5. Everything except for the gas tank (which doesn't seem to lock for me)

For the record, I have a 03/1999 M3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Pissingintowind posted:

:siren: Can any of you OBDII E36 coupe owners help me out by testing some stuff? :siren:

If you want to help, tell me these things for both passenger and driver side doors and the trunk:

1. Do your windows/sunroof open when you hold your key in the unlocked position in a closed door?

2. Do your windows/sunroof close when you hold your key in the locked position in a closed door?

3. Do your interior lights turn on when you lift the handle of a locked or unlocked door (obviously, ignore the trunk for this one)?

4. Does everything (including the gas tank) lock at once when you turn the key to a locked position?

5. Does everything (including the gas tank) unlock at once when you turn the key to a unlocked position?

This is all to help me isolate a problem I'm having.

In my situation:

1. No for both sides, and never did as long as I owned the car
2. Used to for both sides, now only does on passenger side
3. Used to for driver side, can't recall if it did or did not for passenger side, but it doesn't now
4. Everything except for the gas tank
5. Everything except for the gas tank (which doesn't seem to lock for me)

For the record, I have a 03/1999 M3.

Hate to say it, but yes to all.

Here's a simple question for you E36 folks... if you push the 'sunroof close' button in all the way, does it fully close automatically? Mine opens automatically but I have to hold the button to close it, and I want to know if I can replace the switch and fix it, or if its supposed to be like that.