Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

Feel free to hit me at PenguinManAmato if ya like. I'll be up late trying to reconfigure this loving air traffic control optimization anyway.

No offense PMA but if you're messing with ATC I'd rather you not be on AIM <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randall Pink Floyd
Mar 25, 2008

I get older, they stay the same age...
Alright, here goes nothing.

I have AMAZING hand/eye coordination (just take my word for it it doesn't really matter if you believe me or not.) I played in the hot corner (3B) for baseball my entire life and I have a very fast glove and a hard line drive has rarely eluded me. Because of this I always wanted to be a goaltender and the position fascinates me (want to join an adult league badly).

Of course, there is a problem. My groin/leg flexibility is pretty much deplorable. I realize I don't have to be a butterfly style goalie, but even goalies like Marty Brodeur have to split sometimes. My 5 hole would be like a gaping vagina just waiting to be scored on. Is there any sort of style that can mask this or is it a complete neccessity?

Randall Pink Floyd fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 28, 2008

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
I'm not terribly inflexible but I definitely can't do a decent split. The biggest problem is straining yourself when reaching across the goalmouth with your legs, I have no idea how to describe it better than this. Frankly, you don't really have to be that flexible, just enough so that you don't hurt yourself when instinctively extending yourself out to make a save.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Some goalies, like JS Giguere, have a narrow natural butterfly and rely on their knees to close the gaping hope that their butterfly produces in their pads.

Unless you literally have a medical condition, I think you'd be surprised with how you can adapt your body to the position.

My natural "I am driving my knees to the ice" butterfly is very narrow, but I find that I can still take away a good deal of the lower net. My butterfly slide I found that I can stretch pretty far, but I am notoriously bad with my stick positioning so I am CONSTANTLY giving up five hole goals.

And even if you don't rely on the butterfly, there are still other saves you can make. Pad stack, standup active stick, half-butterfly. Being a goalie is all about being in front of the puck. You don't have to look pretty or conventional to do it right, you just have to do it. That said, butterfly makes it a lot easier :)

crusader donkey posted:

The biggest problem is straining yourself when reaching across the goalmouth with your legs

While some people don't like neoprene, I found that neoprene groin wraps applied tightly to both legs have reduced the number of times I've felt horrible pain after stretching across the goalmouth. At $10 or so apiece, these are probably the best investment I've made.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 28, 2008

Randall Pink Floyd
Mar 25, 2008

I get older, they stay the same age...
Thanks a lot for the input guys. Yeah, my flexibility isn't so poor that I wouldn't be able to do a "narrow butterfly" as you called it, and I don't think I would injure myself very easily if I do stretching beforehand.

Excellent, all I need to do now is find a league that's somewhat recreational/beginner and I'm definitely in

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Martytoof posted:

No offense PMA but if you're messing with ATC I'd rather you not be on AIM <:mad:>
The joys of optimization. Hilariously enough, all this is showing me is that small planes are loving retarded to let in the air since they gently caress EVERYTHING up!

Randall Pink Floyd posted:

Flexibility not found
I can't do a split and I can't touch my toes. Hell, I can't get within a half foot of my toes, no joke. I can also butterfly well beyond the width of the net with no gap. It's a different kind of flexibility that's required, and everyone learns what their limits are and adjusts accordingly. Will you be able to make Luongo type ridiculous butterfly saves? Probably not, but neither do 99% of the goalie population, so take solace in that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah. The only other thing I can add is that after six months off, my flexibility was right back at zero. Two weeks later I was stretching across the crease. Give your body time, do a lot of stretching before (AND AFTER) games, and you will likely be fine.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 28, 2008

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
I played goalie the other night for the first time and holy poo poo is it 1000x harder than it looks. We were playing 3 on 3 on a studio (tiny) rink and I got torched so many times. It was fun though, except for the parts where I nearly killed myself because the goalie skates I borrowed had absolutely no edge. I guess goalies prefer to have mega dull skates in comparison to skaters. There were just so many times that I was facing a breakaway and was backing in and when I went to make the big push across to follow the shooter my skates would just slide out from under me and I'd fall straight down.

I can see how pickup can be really frustrating as pickup means no defense. I wanted to face shots and I wanted to challenge at the top of the crease so whenever someone had the puck with a good shooting opportunity they just dished it off to the guy standing at the post who was completely uncovered. I don't have the mobility to contend with that crap. :argh:

Anyway, it was hard as hell and I really wonder how butterfly goalies do it. Every time someone was shooting I felt like there wasn't enough time to go down and cover the bottom part of the net so I just played standup for the most part.

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Waiting for World of Starcraft
Thanks for the help Tim and Marty. Here is my new order.

http://goaliemonkey.com/itech-goalie-pants-hp48srd.html
http://goaliemonkey.com/vaughn-goalie-chest-protector-vp3750-sr.html

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)

crashlanding posted:

Anyway, it was hard as hell and I really wonder how butterfly goalies do it. Every time someone was shooting I felt like there wasn't enough time to go down and cover the bottom part of the net so I just played standup for the most part.

The surefire sign of a new goalie :v:

also, welcome to the club :hfive:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

crashlanding posted:

It's really hard to do when you're not used to actually driving your knees into the ice on purpose. A lot of goalies will try to "cheat" by going down prematurely. You can get away with it in low level beer leagues, but once you play with guys who can pick you apart up top, going into the premature butterfly can almost be as bad as not going down in the butterfly at all :smith:

Two (three?) weeks ago I played against a guy who basically ripped a slapper from the blue line and it was behind me before I could even react. That was a bitch for the ole' confidence :haw:

Fenix: No problem, let us know how they work out once you get them!

crashlanding posted:

I can see how pickup can be really frustrating as pickup means no defense. I wanted to face shots and I wanted to challenge at the top of the crease so whenever someone had the puck with a good shooting opportunity they just dished it off to the guy standing at the post who was completely uncovered. I don't have the mobility to contend with that crap. :argh:

No joke, more than half the goals scored at my pickups are 2-0 breaks that end up in cross-crease passes before I can get my stick on them, and ultimately, before I can get a pad across. If I try to cheat to cover both I will inevitably let in a shot from the original shooter. I tell you what though, when you stop a 2-0 break, there is no better feeling in the world, and pretty much everybody on the ice lets you know it :cool:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 28, 2008

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

Martytoof posted:

I tell you what though, when you stop a 2-0 break, there is no better feeling in the world, and pretty much everybody on the ice lets you know it :cool:
Oh definitely, I had maybe two pretty good saves and one was a 2-0 where I dove across and gloved the one timer. Saves like that can keep you coming back I guess. :cool:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

crashlanding posted:

Oh definitely, I had maybe two pretty good saves and one was a 2-0 where I dove across and gloved the one timer. Saves like that can keep you coming back I guess. :cool:

I still remember some of the absolute robberies on 2-0s, breakaways, one timers, etc. that I've made years ago, but the goals I've all but forgotten!

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I've got a game tonight, I'm picking my new pads up right after work and going straight to the rink, I'll try to get some pics of them.

I can't wait to try them out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sba posted:

I'm picking my new pads up right after work

Christmas in April :dance:

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

crashlanding posted:

Dull goalie skates.

All while I was playing when I was younger I'd hear about how goalies should keep their skates dull (so you don't catch an edge, I guess?) and I did that for the first few years but as I started getting more and more competitive I realized how awful it was. You can't push, your C-cuts have no power behind them, you can't scramble because you have no edge to push with, just about the only positive is you may get more side to side movement from your shuffles, but that's quickly nullified by the fact that when you go to push off there's nothing to push off with on your inside edge.

I sharpened my skates every week or two, so every 5-7 times I skated and got them cut at a half-inch. The people that sharpened them would look at me with the most incredulous looks I've ever seen when I told them what I wanted them cut at.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Deer_fire posted:

The people that sharpened them would look at me with the most incredulous looks I've ever seen when I told them what I wanted them cut at.

:q:

(because one day I forgot to tell them, and oh my god ... )

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Can someone explain the difference between a goalie cut and a normal skater cut? What's the purpose, since in my experience my normal skate cut has allowed me to push side to side from my knees if necessary, and I can skate backwards just fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Unless there's something I don't understand, I don't think there's any difference between a skater hollow and a goalie hollow. Skaters typically just need theirs to be sharper.

I've never really heard the term "goalie cut" applied to anything but jerseys, to be honest.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I always say, "a little more dull than a 3/4 cut, please" and it works for me. I don't even know what that means.

so what alexander
Jun 19, 2007

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! / The world forgetting, by the world forgot / Eternal sunshine --"

Shut the ^%@$ up, Alexander. Sorry, Michel Gondry ruined your %#$%!
At my work, the standard player cut is 1/2", and the goalie cut is 3/4". I think either there are more goalies that ask for 1/2" or more guys that just don't know what the gently caress to get more than they actually ask for 3/4".

I played goalie for the first time in about a year using rental pads at the roller hockey place today, and boy howdy did I do bad. I did get better as the pickup game went on though, so I'm sure a lot of the goals were just me being cold. I'm gonna get trying at it though, because my team's current goalie doesn't practice at all and allows the softest goals.

so what alexander fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 29, 2008

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Unless there's something I don't understand, I don't think there's any difference between a skater hollow and a goalie hollow. Skaters typically just need theirs to be sharper.
Kind of, sort of.

The actual hollow is of the same radius: that is, if you were to produce a circular object with that radius, it would fit nicely into the hollow of the blade. So, a 1/2" cut is done on the same tooling as a skater cut, more or less.

What's a teensy bit different is that goalie blades (with the exception of the Koho 590 blade) are about 50% thicker than player skates. So, they're actually a touch deeper than a player skate of equivalent hollow since the distance between the bottom of the edge and the top of the hollow is greater. At the same time, since the actual blade is wider, it allows for easier pushing since the range of angles at which the blade does not dig in is greater than if you were on a thinner piece of steel.

That said, as with 90% of all goaltending, once someone finds something they're good with, it's probably not worth monkeying with save for occasionally trying something new. I use a 1/2" cut and dull the outer edge since I don't always trust my footwork; I've tried 3/8" but I don't have anywhere near the skating skill to use any of the advantages it offers.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I'm a little pissed these came out so blurry, but here's my new pads:

Mandatory Bedfly:

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Those look really, really nice. What's the toe tie at the boot like? The clearance looks pretty close.

Also, how big are you? You need a sandwich or two :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sba, I actually like the design a lot more than I thought I would. I guess you have to see them in context of being worn by a goalie, because by themselves I'm still not a big fan.

sba posted:

I don't know what it is about this photo, but you REALLY look like a McFarlane figure.

Off topic, I'm torturing my new babies a little. As you can see by the medial roll strain, they obviously do NOT like being told to s-curve :haw: -- I'm not unhappy with flat pads by any stretch, but I figured a little more curve wouldn't hurt anyone.

I should have waited for the Smitty breaks, but gently caress it. They've been tied up for the past three days and I'm probably going to keep them this way until Friday. I undid one today to check and it actually kept the curve pretty well. I don't know much about the internal construction, but the breaks are actually really natural. If it weren't for the medial roll these flat faced pads would bend in really easily. I can't begin to imagine how easily Smitty breaks fold.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 29, 2008

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

So much net to shoot at...

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Tim Thomas posted:

Those look really, really nice. What's the toe tie at the boot like? The clearance looks pretty close.

Maybe it's too early...but what do you mean by clearance??

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

sba posted:

Maybe it's too early...but what do you mean by clearance??

Haha, no, the question makes no sense looking at it now.

I guess my question was more along the line of how high your pad sits off the skate at the boot, the flexibility of the ankle, and the impact of the toe being fairly boxy. I haven't had a chance to try any 11" pads with such a squarish toe so I have no clue if that front inside corner of the boot drags or anything, and I'm considering picking up a set of 11" pads soonish.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Tim Thomas posted:

Haha, no, the question makes no sense looking at it now.

I guess my question was more along the line of how high your pad sits off the skate at the boot, the flexibility of the ankle, and the impact of the toe being fairly boxy. I haven't had a chance to try any 11" pads with such a squarish toe so I have no clue if that front inside corner of the boot drags or anything, and I'm considering picking up a set of 11" pads soonish.

Ahhh, ok I get it now.

The ankle was pretty stiff, but I imagine it'll loosen over time. They dragged a little, but I tightened a strap when I noticed it, and that seemed to help.

The biggest thing for me was getting used to 34" because my last pads were 32"

I thought they sat a little low off the boot, but I'm still working on strapping them in a way thats comfortable.

If you liked your Prodigies a lot, you should at least go try a pair of RX on, they're pretty similar.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
And here I am getting completely burned last week. poo poo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

Jersey buddy :cool:

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Anyone know the turn-around time on getting a helmet airbrushed? I don't have a spare and if it takes a month to get it done, then I'm boned.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Joey Walnuts posted:

Anyone know the turn-around time on getting a helmet airbrushed? I don't have a spare and if it takes a month to get it done, then I'm boned.

A month is about the standard for most artists. Sometimes longer.

BabyArm
Mar 29, 2005

Like I give a crap!
Another option to painting: http://www.wrapmymask.com/index.htm

They'll wrap vinyls around your mask instead of painting, kinda like race car graphics. Perfect for those of us too cheap to buy a new mask to paint. You can supply him with graphics (which I did) or he'll design something for you. I've got a template in PDF format if you want to go this route.

Not sure how long it will take him, but I got my mask back in about 2 weeks.

My mask is at the bottom of the photo gallery page. Yes, they're doing it as hard as they can...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How's the durability? Have you taken many pucks to the vinyl?

BabyArm
Mar 29, 2005

Like I give a crap!
It's been pretty durable. The vinyl is pretty thick. The few shots I've taken to the head are nothing more than black scuff marks that wipe off with a damp towel or a fingernail. The only thing that shows up on my mask is the old dings and scratches underneath the vinyl.

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Waiting for World of Starcraft
So yeah... How do you actually "butterfly"? I can get one pad to turn out, but the other kinda just goes face-down. In our pickup game today I let 5 goals in... all 5 hole.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
It mostly comes from your stance and how you strap your pads.

The stance I was taught to use is fairly standard and looks like this:

Feet are a little farther apart than shoulder width.

From the side, it looks like this:

You'll note that my knees are slightly forward of my feet, my knees are bent to about 75 degrees like I'm doing a moderate wall-sit, and if you were to draw a line between my feet and my forehead, it would run through my knees. This forces your weight forward. I've noticed when the weight is incorrectly placed during a butterfly, the movement is slow and the pads don't flip over.

This next shot shows me starting a butterfly after seeing the puck through a screen:

You'll notice that the pads are already making contact at the toe and are starting to rotate since I leave my boot very loose. My knees are leading the movement by driving the flaps downward and filling up five hole. Because I strap my knees fairly tight, and the toe is somewhat anchored against the floor/ice, the pad starts to torque. Modern pads don't really torque, so they rotate instead, using my leg as the pivot. It ends something like this:

One of the guys I play against teaches goalie camp every once in a while and since he's the best I've ever played against, I think his advice applies here. He always said that the mental image for guys beginning the game should be their knees and wast uncoiling into the fivehole space while the feet stay more or less in the same position and the torso stays more or less in the same stance. His stance is slightly more upright than mine, and his is technically better, since my gut has to go towards the puck as my midsection uncoils, increasing rebounds. It's something I should probably consider and work on, although I think his uprightness of stance is probably slightly extreme in one direction while mine is slightly hunched.

Short version:
- Get proper stance.
- Strap a bit looser at the ankle and a touch looser at the knee and see how it affects things.

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 11, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

PMA made a great point about stance. If you've got a solid stance, dropping into your butterfly isn't really any more complicated than just driving your knees into the ice while sliding your feet out. The pads are already rotated in the correct direction, so if you're finding that one is landing pad side down check to make sure you're not tucking your skate behind you while you drop -- you should be extending it out to the side. Make a conscious effort to slide them out, but don't hurt yourself by trying to overextend your butterfly at first. Find a medium that works for you. Also make sure you have sufficient slack in your toe ties (I like .5 to 1" slack) to give your feet some margin for error, so they're not forced into an unnatural angle.

I think your pads are also open leg channel, so the strapping for my OLC pads are

- Boot strap: Tight, no slack, but no tension
- Ankle strap 1 & 2: Tight, no slack. I can fit one finger between my straps and leg comfortably, but not easily
- Knee strap 1 & 2: Two finger widths slack
- Knee lock velcro: As tight as the stock velcro will go, it doesn't help all that much anyway.

Bonne chance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Well, apparently I won Goalie Store's drawing for a jersey from http://www.russianhockeyjerseys.com

Question for sizing from you guys. I wear an XL X-Pulse 6.0 C/A, and the RBK practice jersey fits it well. What size should I go for then as far as a jersey goes? Or does it really not matter as far as Goalie Cut?

• Locked thread