Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

New strip

That's totally Nale and his demon gal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Bobulus posted:

That's totally Nale and his demon gal

Nope. Therkla and the imp are established characters already, and Therkla has a thing for Elan.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I like the fakeout on the ugly back-story.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I wonder where he's going with the Thurkla subplot. At first I thought she could end up down the road as a new member of the Linear Guild, once she learns about Haley and Elan, but Sabine is already Haley's evil rival. Maybe she'll end up being Thog's sister?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Mylan posted:

Maybe she'll end up being Thog's sister lover?

Thog needs some TLC.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

goatface posted:

Thog needs some TLC.

thog think girls icky.

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?

RentACop posted:

I like the fakeout on the ugly back-story.

It was an ugly back story for her, just not for the reasons you were expecting. Look at the unhappiness on that baby's face.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NutShellBill posted:

thog think girls icky.

He's just never found the right (half-)orc girl to settle down with.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Is the whole "ugly backstory" a dig against WotC? I seem to recall that they used the very same words when they wanted to move away from the whole "most Half-Orc's are results from rapes" deal?

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
I think its more of a jab against the unoriginality of people coming up w/ backstorys for half-orcs, who can't think of anything beyond lolrape.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Rooster posted:

I think its more of a jab against the unoriginality of people coming up w/ backstorys for half-orcs, who can't think of anything beyond lolrape.

Depending on how you portray orcs, it's sometimes the only conceivable backstory. Could you imagine, say, a LotR orc having a healthy relationship with a human? I mean it's either that or you go Drizz't with the orc and have him/her be the only good-hearted one of the lot and their love is judged by everyone, which isn't much higher on the originality scale.

A simple solution is to not have half-orcs at all, though. Bloody savages... not in MY campaign!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I sortof like having half-orcs be the unfortunate rape-children of orcs. Their mommys can't abort because the lord of morning loves all life.

Also is it just me or does V look sortof like Xykon did before he turned lich-y?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Lurdiak posted:

Depending on how you portray orcs, it's sometimes the only conceivable backstory. Could you imagine, say, a LotR orc having a healthy relationship with a human? I mean it's either that or you go Drizz't with the orc and have him/her be the only good-hearted one of the lot and their love is judged by everyone, which isn't much higher on the originality scale.

But don't a lot of powerful human mages keep a few armies of orcs around? Evil mages, of course. But hey, get a few drinks in him and you have yourself a character background!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Affi posted:

Also is it just me or does V look sortof like Xykon did before he turned lich-y?

Old?

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

You mentioned the LoTR, didnt Saruman (however you spell it, Gandalfs wizard rival) take a bunch of his human and orc soldiers/followers, and have them breed him an army of halforcs? Even in a world where Orcs are monolithically evil, humans can be evil to, and also have bad taste.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In my campaign there are no half-orcs because the different races physically can't breed with each other, but there are good orcs that the PCs can play as so perhaps the solution is to be more open-minded in your fantasy gaming???

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't know of Saruman created his half-orcs through regular breeding or some crazy magic. I mean, his army popped up pretty quick for all of those to have been regularly born and raised, you know?

Anyway, that aside, there are plenty of ugly people that manage to reproduce, I don't see why its beyond reason for an orc to get some love. Especially among barbarians or other humans that live closer to orcs and share more of their lifestyle. I guess it might seem weird but jesus look at all the crazy sexual poo poo people get up to without other intelligent species.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Eh, it's not that weird, I don't think. There's nothing that really says an Orc has to be ugly, other than the whole tusk thing, and even then I've had friends date people with some really horrible teeth.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I liked an explanation I read once that posited half-orcs were fairly common because Human females are weak in comparison to Orc males, and Orc females are stupid in comparison to Human males, so it's just as likely for a gullible orc girl to get seduced by a desperate human as it is for LOL RAPE.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bgaesop posted:

In my campaign there are no half-orcs because the different races physically can't breed with each other, but there are good orcs that the PCs can play as so perhaps the solution is to be more open-minded in your fantasy gaming???

In my campaign half-orcs do exist, but they're more accurately defined as part-orcs.

There's a lot of barbarian tribes in the southern marshes, and your average peace settlement between them will involve a daughter or two being exchanged, and there's your occasional Romeo and Juliet moment, and there's still the occasional bit of unpleasantness, all resulting in a sizeable minority of part-orcs, several of which are now second or third generation mixes. Hell, there's even one or two part-orc-part-elves as NPCs.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 11, 2008

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"
Whenever I've played a half-orc, the explanation I've come up with for why he was a half-orc was that "my character's dad liked big women." The DMs were usually ok with that, so I just rolled with it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Rooster posted:

You mentioned the LoTR, didnt Saruman (however you spell it, Gandalfs wizard rival) take a bunch of his human and orc soldiers/followers, and have them breed him an army of halforcs? Even in a world where Orcs are monolithically evil, humans can be evil to, and also have bad taste.

Those weren't half-orcs, they were uruk-hai. Smarter, more loyal, and much stronger than regular orcs. They were orcs that were subjected to magical jacking up, as Saruman puts it "perfecting Sauron's work". I don't know why you'd think they're half-orcs.

Foodpie
Apr 20, 2006

And THAT is how you get rid of those hard to clean stains.
There were, however, orc/men. Or at least some mixing going on as the southlanders in Bree are seen as having an orcish look to them and one of them is even called the half/orc if I remember correctly.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

There was heavy insinuation about crossbreeding in the books.

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
Look, in Lord of the Rings the orcs were elves to begin with. Melkor (the guy Sauron worked for before he got his own gig in mordor with rings of power and such) made a twisted version of the elves as a sort of "F*** you!" to the God figure of the universe. And as there are several half elves running around, elves and humans can clearly mate. So it stands to reason that orcs and humans can mate too. But, as any open source lawyer will be quick to tell you, LoTR is not DnD is not OoTS, so one thing being true in one universe does not make it nessisarilly true in another. If you wanted, you could probibly find DnD rules for making orc/dwarf, orc/halfling, and even orc/dragon/vampire/ghost/direbadger pairings. That would work for DnD. But that doesn't mean that they will creep up in OoTS. In fact, in the comic it has been shown that there are half orcs, and that this one is kind of unhappy with the relationship her parents had. Probibly because it was too lovey dovey. And for her, it's a terrible back story. For whatever reason.

Can we please stop talking about orc rape now?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

bgaesop posted:

You know, I'm beginning to think that racial differences could have neat political ramifications in a D&D world.

"The Church of Corellon Larethian will NOT recognize a marriage between a human and an elf! Sick cross-racial perverts like you are trying to erode the institution of marriage! :colbert:"

The current storyline is taking a weird turn that totally breaks the basic rule of D&D: never split up the party. It's just too hard to keep everyone entertained when you can do so. Doesn't apply in OOTS of course, but definitely interesting stuff. That, and the plot threads: Therkla is coming in as having a major crush on Elan (love triangle potential?); Haley, Celia, and Belkar are up to wacky hijinks, and Roy is gonna be painfully out of the picture for quite a while.

Two comics a week isn't enough. :smith:

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

ShadowCatboy posted:

Roy is gonna be painfully out of the picture for quite a while.

Two comics a week isn't enough. :smith:

I'm starting to think Roy coming back is going to be an end-of-book moment with the next book having the Linear Guild back for a three-way race to Girard's Gate. so probably no Roy until Haley and Co get to Cliffport, Hinjo and Co get their poo poo together just in time for V to scry on the family ghost reunion and then a few wacky hijinks to bring them all back together. Looking back that makes maybe another 100 strips or so. Christmas if we're lucky.

Taber
Nov 17, 2007

Malkin's worst nightmare
The easiest explaination for half orcs is that they're children of two other half orcs.

edit: people will be so disappointed when they realize we're talking about orc rape instead of a new strip.

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005

Taber posted:

edit: people will be so disappointed when they realize we're talking about orc rape instead of a new strip.

yes, yes I was. And now I have contributed to the lie as well.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
What if we talk about Orc crèpes instead? That way, there's a little something for everyone.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Huh. I never noticed he had other jokes in the strip titles:

quote:

555 Half-Dragons Are Even Worse

qscerg
Dec 29, 2005
New Strip.

Rehost.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.
Everyday I love Elan more and more. The way his knowledge of dramatic clichés keeps working cracks me up.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The man knows his plot elements that is for sure.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sick_Boy posted:

Everyday I love Elan more and more. The way his knowledge of dramatic clichés keeps working cracks me up.

I was going to say that the world would be in much better shape if he hadn't destroyed the first Gate, but then the Order wouldn't have found out about the other gates, so...

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Bobulus posted:

I was going to say that the world would be in much better shape if he hadn't destroyed the first Gate, but then the Order wouldn't have found out about the other gates, so...

The world is perfectly safe until they get to the last gate.

Foodpie
Apr 20, 2006

And THAT is how you get rid of those hard to clean stains.
Assuming Xykon screws it up at girards gate, and all that remains is the halflings gate, are there any monsters in the manual short of dragons that can stand up to an epic level lich?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Almost anything, given the correct class levels.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Soylentbits posted:

The world is perfectly safe until they get to the last gate.

I don't think perfectly safe is the proper description. Soon's Gate doesn't look terribly safe to me and it started out tiny. Dorukan's Gate started out big as gently caress and I'm guessing the only reason it's not scary as hell right now is because it's under a mountain worth of rubble.

As for Xykon, there's quite a few things that could stand up to him based on the fact that he's Evil and Undead(Soon was doing a drat fine job until everything went all explodey). The problem is he's also a epic Sorceror backed up by a high level Evil Cleric; so it would probably take some concentrated high level Good to stop the two of them. The question then is would Serini have thought to gear Kraagor's Dungeon to stand up to Evil Adventurers or is it just standard high-level dungeon fare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn

ShadowCatboy posted:

The current storyline is taking a weird turn that totally breaks the basic rule of D&D: never split up the party. It's just too hard to keep everyone entertained when you can do so.
well, maybe the players running the OOtS have all split up in Real Life(tm).

Roy's player is away at college.

Haley's and Belkar's players moved out of their parents' basements and into an apartment, but they had to get part-time jobs and their schedules are all different now. It's easier for them to play on Tuesday nights instead of Fridays; the DM has got his girlfriend in to run a character (Cecilia) to give a decent number of players. (A guy who'd been hanging around the store joined in for a few sessions, but he didn't stick with it.)

On the other hand, Elan's player has managed to get her brother interested in the game, so he's running the Azure City guy who just got captured until he decides whether he wants to be a regular player. And Elan's player models for community-college art classes on Tuesdays.

It seemed simplest to just split everything up, and declare that Roy couldn't affect anything on the Prime Material Plane.