Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

docdued posted:

The Heritage H150 classic, brown sunburn. Mine since 90 minutes... :dance:
That's a beautiful sorta-flamed, sorta-quilted top. I usually don't really like quilting, but the subtle effect works great there.

I hadn't checked this thread in a while, lots of great stuff. Here's my contribution:

'78 Jazzmaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamkingdom
Feb 15, 2008

Noise as Art.

Carbohydrates posted:

That's a beautiful sorta-flamed, sorta-quilted top. I usually don't really like quilting, but the subtle effect works great there.

I hadn't checked this thread in a while, lots of great stuff. Here's my contribution:

'78 Jazzmaster

THAT IS THE loving COOLEST JAZZMASTER IVE EVER SEEN UGGGGGGGgggghh i want one.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 9, 2020

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

Carbohydrates posted:

'78 Jazzmaster

This with cream colored pickups and knobs and dot inlay instead of block would be the most perfect guitar ever

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Darth Fungus posted:

This with cream colored pickups and knobs and dot inlay instead of block would be the most perfect guitar ever
They are tinted cream (I'm sure they were originally white). My camera is a little too overeager to correct to white. :)

e: And I respectfully disagree on the inlays, but it's definitely a preference thing. I like how well these carry into the shape of the pickups.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 11, 2008

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

Carbohydrates posted:

They are tinted cream (I'm sure they were originally white). My camera is a little too overeager to correct to white. :)

Oh well, in that case I want it and I hate you for owning it. :colbert:

Carbohydrates posted:

e: And I respectfully disagree on the inlays, but it's definitely a preference thing. I like how well these carry into the shape of the pickups.

Hah, that's actually why I dislike them, go figure.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Carbohydrates posted:

'78 Jazzmaster

Well drat.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Los Padre posted:

Electro Harmonix in general feel that way. Good sounds and all, but the chassis are kind of cheaply made.

They're big blocks of metal. They're not exactly pretty but I definatly wouldn't say they're cheaply made, they're well made and robust.

Also to the feeling hollow thing, if you look inside you'll see why, the cases are usually quite a bit bigger than the actual circuitry.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Stux posted:

They're big blocks of metal. They're not exactly pretty but I definatly wouldn't say they're cheaply made, they're well made and robust.

Also to the feeling hollow thing, if you look inside you'll see why, the cases are usually quite a bit bigger than the actual circuitry.

They're so hard to fit on pedal boards. They should take a few cues from Zvex about economic designs.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Susano-maku da! posted:

They're so hard to fit on pedal boards. They should take a few cues from Zvex about economic designs.

They're big and beautiful drat it :colbert:

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Stux posted:

They're big and beautiful drat it :colbert:

Haha, they ARE good pedals. But I'm a boutique fag now, so I don't have any EHX stuff anymore.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

MrWeight posted:

Are you in The PimpBot

Not familiar with them but I'm assuming that's a band and the answer is no.

juicy_J posted:

What's with the hosed up tuning machine alignment?

hosed up alignment? You mean why aren't they turned the same way for the picture or am I missing something?

The only things hosed up about it are the weight (about 11 pounds), the finish (not overly smooth on top, it's got plenty of spots where it's worn through to the gold undercoat), the preamp isn't in it and the thumbrest is missing entirely (I'd need to add an extra screw hole to the current pickguard for one). It has great low action and tone.

I've got a couple of Squiers I'm modding and may post before long; a P with Duncan QPs and a DiMarzio X2N7 and a J with the pickups and electronics from a Thumb NT. I also have a J sized wenge neck that I haven't decided where it's going to end up. New bridges and hipshot machines and D tuners will likely make their appearance as well.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Alfa Tard posted:

hosed up alignment? You mean why aren't they turned the same way for the picture or am I missing something?

Maybe he means that the tuning keys aren't directly above the center of the tuning peg, like guitars. Since on the back bass tuning keys look like:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Kurzweil Micro Ensemble synth module, and a Gator bag that was intended to carry my Korg R3 around but ended up being too small. It's a perfect fit for the half-rack and all my cables though, so makes for a nice portable package and I don't have to deal with returning it.

If anyone has recommendations for padded and/or hard-shell case for a Korg R3 (and the keytar, actually) I'd love to hear them.

Next up is effects, and I really want a Kaoss pad...

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
I've been out of the music creation game for a while now, but thanks to a purchase I made at a garage sale yesterday, I may have to get back into it...

Bought it off of a couple who were obviously artists (lots of paintings, glass work, and jewelry), so I wouldn't be surprised if this was hand made. It's obvious it's well traveled, and it is going to need a bit of work:

The crack looks like it was glued back well enough, so I don't think I have anything to worry about. But those strings will have to go.

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

Alfa Tard posted:

Well it seems like the shaft for the low E tuner is not properly aligned with the rest of the tuners. It may just be the angle of the picture, or you might have gotten a counterfeit Fender. The finish seems a bit suspect as well (looks like orange peel).

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

juicy_J posted:

Well it seems like the shaft for the low E tuner is not properly aligned with the rest of the tuners.

It looks perfectly fine to me.

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

juicy_J posted:

Well it seems like the shaft for the low E tuner is not properly aligned with the rest of the tuners. It may just be the angle of the picture, or you might have gotten a counterfeit Fender. The finish seems a bit suspect as well (looks like orange peel).

looks fine to me too, and the "orange peel" looks like compression artifacts

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Well maybe I'm blind then. And I do trust your word since you're the only other luthier/tech around here.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Looking at the picture with a straitedge, it looks like the top tuning peg (the one nearest the end of the guitar) is actually drilled a little too far down. In fact, it seems like they're all a bit uneven with eachother. That one is just the most noticeably off.

I doubt it'll actually affect anything, though. Just someone having a bit of an off day at the factory.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

cylyk posted:

looks fine to me too, and the "orange peel" looks like compression artifacts

aye gif compression isn't pretty but it makes the images small. the finish is a little rough in some places but it's not unusual for fenders of the time, i may try to get it buffed up at some point. if it's not a real P then i'm mighty impressed with the workmanship; the undercoat is correct, the preamp has Fender on the circuitboard, there are 2 serial number stickers in the neck pocket (one of which actually matches the headstock SN#), there's a CNC hole under the pickguard, the machine heads have the Fender logos on them, and it has the right reddish neck shims in the neck pocket. the matching serial numbers is what gets to me, Fender quality control was in a bad way in the early 80s. actually it was in a bad way before then; i know one of the engineers that used to work there way back when and he's got a lot of stories. he also worked for gibson, peavey and schecter at different times.

i offered it up for trade on the talkbass forums a while back and got some decent trade offers but nothing i was willing to let this go for. ignore the $2K comment as it was there just so i'd have a price attached, it's actual value is probably around $1K as is. the images include the black pickguards that came with the bass and include shots of the front and back of the headstock. the color was not altered in these or the outside shot in this thread; it's a difference in color from flash and sunlight.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381551

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

'78 Jazzmaster

Dear god man.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

ReverendHammer posted:

I've been out of the music creation game for a while now, but thanks to a purchase I made at a garage sale yesterday, I may have to get back into it...

Ok, I don't know if everyone else knows what this is and therefore hasn't commented on it, but, what is this and what does it sound like?

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Concatenation posted:

Ok, I don't know if everyone else knows what this is and therefore hasn't commented on it, but, what is this and what does it sound like?

It's a hammered dulcimer. There is a little bit of a chorusy effect with the multiple strings, the attack is unique (because it's hit, rather than plucked). It's a pretty sound.

Out Of Band
May 2, 2002

HI I AM A CLAM
I just found a great deal on a Korg M3 73-key with the Radias EXB and extra memory EXB on eBay and won that poo poo. After my previously mentioned horrible experience with the CME VX6 (please for the love of god avoid CME gear) I decided not to fool around and to just ante up for the keyboard I really wanted.

Kind of strange that they have a 73-key and not a 76, but whatever. I already have an 88-key and want this for the second tier of my keyboard rack. I am seriously excited to get this thing. I've always liked Korg's gear.

Pic:

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Los Padre posted:

It's a hammered dulcimer. There is a little bit of a chorusy effect with the multiple strings, the attack is unique (because it's hit, rather than plucked). It's a pretty sound.

My hope is that once the strings are replaced it will sound much better. At the moment, it's so horribly out of tune that my cat is scared of it. And considering that many of the strings have rust on them, I'm guessing if that I attempt to tune it, it will pop strings left and right.

I still need to get mallets for the thing, since the guy I bought it off of didn't have any. Easy enough to get wood and soft-head mallets locally, but I think I may give a try and making some out of some form of metal and possibly a pair where the heads are made out of glass.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

After regretting selling the Maton, I did a little trial and error found out that scale length DOES NOT matter for my wrist pain. Go figure. I started to regret selling some of my past purchases -- especially the Telecaster -- but I decided, gently caress it, I'm just going to start over and get what works best for me.

I went to the local Reverend dealer (not many around) and tried out some Reverends and loved them, particularly the P90 equipped bolt-ons. I was mulling over which one to get when a deal popped up on a MIA Reverend. I took it. And my god, am I glad I did... this is the best guitar I've ever played.

Say hello to my Reverend Avenger:

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Susano-maku da! posted:

I went to the local Reverend dealer (not many around) and tried out some Reverends and loved them, particularly the P90 equipped bolt-ons. I was mulling over which one to get when a deal popped up on a MIA Reverend. I took it. And my god, am I glad I did... this is the best guitar I've ever played.

Those MIA Reverends have so much mojo once you get past the funky looks. I'm jealous.

I just ordered a Blackheart Little Giant. I've been looking for a tube amp for a good while (and my snooty tastes don't really fancy many sub $1k production tube amps) and everything I have read about this, from the dudes who just put in better tubes, to the guys who do all the mods, that this amp is worth trying. The demand is so high that to hear one I had to order it, so we'll see.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Susano-maku da! posted:

After regretting selling the Maton, I did a little trial and error found out that scale length DOES NOT matter for my wrist pain. Go figure. I started to regret selling some of my past purchases -- especially the Telecaster -- but I decided, gently caress it, I'm just going to start over and get what works best for me.

I was afraid of that, but congrats on the new beauty! If you get the chance, check out the Ron Asheton model... They're bonerific.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I finally dished out the cash for it:

It was between this and the DD-20, and I just was not impressed with the DD-20 when I tried it out. The twist feature, or whatever it is called, is really cool too. I'm looking forward to figuring this thing out. The sound is just so spacious and distant, I love the ambiance it helps create. Review in a week or so...

Im feinding for one of those blackhearts...let us know how you like it. Im interested to hear how it would compare to an epi valve junior (seems like the blackheart has a few more options, I like the separate gain and volume controls)

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Susano-maku da! posted:

Nice one. I've got a powder yellow Slingshot from the same era (MIA, Eastpointe neck, same gold pickguard) that I love. It's my desert island guitar. Serial number 1969, which I think is pretty cool, too. It sucks that they had to start outsourcing and scaling down. They made some really cool affordable stuff (remember the metal Hawaiian finishes?). I actually got mine around 7 years ago from the website for $425. It was a demo they used to test amps. I have a Hellhound head as well which is great. My Saturn reps a Reverend bumper sticker, too.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Gramps posted:

I was afraid of that, but congrats on the new beauty! If you get the chance, check out the Ron Asheton model... They're bonerific.

Yeah, the Asheton looks real great. I don't even like V shapes.

If I get a MIK one, though, I'd get the Charger 290. It's a funny little thing, but it sounds great.

That is if I don't just get a Slingshot or a Slingshot custom anyway. drat, I really do love this guitar...

Narwhale posted:

Nice one. I've got a powder yellow Slingshot from the same era (MIA, Eastpointe neck, same gold pickguard) that I love. It's my desert island guitar. Serial number 1969, which I think is pretty cool, too. It sucks that they had to start outsourcing and scaling down. They made some really cool affordable stuff (remember the metal Hawaiian finishes?). I actually got mine around 7 years ago from the website for $425. It was a demo they used to test amps. I have a Hellhound head as well which is great. My Saturn reps a Reverend bumper sticker, too.

Joe actually posted on the HCEG forums recently that he discontinued the USA line because some of the models were getting few orders. I think he said some of the guitars only had a grand total of 10 orders.

His current model is much more profitable and allows him to focus on designing full time, instead of handling any logistics or administrative work.

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

Darth Fungus posted:

Dear god no. Dot inlays would kill it

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Susano-maku da! posted:

Joe actually posted on the HCEG forums recently that he discontinued the USA line because some of the models were getting few orders. I think he said some of the guitars only had a grand total of 10 orders.

His current model is much more profitable and allows him to focus on designing full time, instead of handling any logistics or administrative work.

Yeah, I definitely don't blame him for doing what makes financial sense. It's just interesting to see the lineup change as I've followed them through the years. A guy I used to play with recently got a MIK Charger and it definitely lived up to the Reverend name. If I were in the market for a new guitar I'd definitely think about getting one with the Rev-tron pickups. I wish they made a twelve string...

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Narwhale posted:

Yeah, I definitely don't blame him for doing what makes financial sense. It's just interesting to see the lineup change as I've followed them through the years. A guy I used to play with recently got a MIK Charger and it definitely lived up to the Reverend name. If I were in the market for a new guitar I'd definitely think about getting one with the Rev-tron pickups. I wish they made a twelve string...

I loved the Charger when I played it. The Flatroc is basically the Charger with revtrons. You might look forward to those Roundhouse RT's with the dual revtrons, if you want set neck.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
This is MINE as soon as my Matamp Roadster 120 sells.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Just ordered some stuff for my Jazz on eBay: '78 strap buttons, '78 tuners, and a shiny new Mustang bridge because old ones seem to cost a fortune. Maybe I'll get lucky if I watch eBay closely for a while.

Shanghai Gumbo
May 31, 2004

by Fragmaster

Philly Mansteak posted:

Strongly considering blowing my stimulus check on this:

but I can't decide on that or the blue:

It finally arrived (went with Cognac Sunburst), and goddamn, I love playing this thing. Ebony fingerboard feels oh so nice, and I'm impressed with the quality of the acoustic output. The GR-20 was backordered though so no synth access until Wednesday :argh:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Catastrophe posted:

This is MINE as soon as my Matamp Roadster 120 sells.

Nice! How old is that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Here's an amazing hammer dulcimer video for those interested in this severley wonderful and underutilized instrument: http://youtube.com/watch?v=s9HnRZlMiKQ

edit: here's another one of the same girl: http://youtube.com/watch?v=TxjpYHhfRyI&feature=related