Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
I've been trying to get this fixed in the 8.04 thread, but haven't gotten it solved yet, so I figured this thread's probably a better place to ask about it. Anyway:

I have a Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card, which hasn't ever worked with any Linux distro I've tried (I'm currently using Ubuntu 8.04), and the drivers on the official Creative web site don't want to install. Someone suggested I try using the OSS drivers, so I installed them. However, after doing so, not only was the sound not working, audio files wouldn't even play--double-clicking them in Rhythmbox, or any other media application, would do nothing. So, I rebooted, and after that, the volume control icon showed a red X, and upon clicking it, told me that I either didn't have the correct GStreamer plugins installed, or I didn't have any device configured for it.

So, I tried installing GStreamer, from the source (it didn't have a download for the Ubuntu distro), and after a while, got it all installed. But it didn't seem to fix anything, so I figured it must just be that the OSS drivers aren't seeing my sound card. So, I opened up a Terminal and ran the command "ossdetect -v", and it indeed saw my sound card:
code:
[b]Detected Creative SB X-Fi (EARLY BETA)[/b]
Detected Nvidia High Definition Audio (MCP51)
Detected Generic USB audio device (BETA)
Detected OSS Transparent Virtual Mixing Architecture
I'm not sure what I need to do to get it to see my sound card, can anyone help me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Anunnaki posted:

I'm not sure what I need to do to get it to see my sound card, can anyone help me?
I followed this guide:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4874981&postcount=2
http://4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2054

Did you kill pulseaudio/alsa? Did you set OSS and your output in the Sound preferences window?
Also why are you compiling gstreamer from source? The package in the repositories works(except for the volume control, which you can use the OSS one instead).

tehk fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 11, 2008

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

tehk posted:

I followed this guide:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4874981&postcount=2
http://4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2054

Did you kill pulseaudio/alsa? Did you set OSS and your output in the Sound preferences window?
Also why are you compiling gstreamer from source? The package in the repositories works(except for the volume control, which you can use the OSS one instead).

Yes, I had it configured in the sound settings for OSS, but no, I didn't remove those two, but I just removed ALSA, according to the instructions in the first link you provided, and ran "apt-get remove pulseaudio", and both worked, but after a restart, there's still an X on Volume Control, with the same error when clicked. Although, PulseAudio Sound Server is still listed in the Sound preferences, so I'm not sure if there's some other package that you have to remove to get it off all the way.

Anyway, since I didn't remove these two before installing OSS, does that mean I have to reinstall that as well?

As for GStreamer, it didn't have a package for Ubuntu on its list, so I thought I had no choice but to compile it myself. But either way, it's already done now, I have all those plugins installed.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Anunnaki posted:

Yes, I had it configured in the sound settings for OSS, but no, I didn't remove those two, but I just removed ALSA, according to the instructions in the first link you provided, and ran "apt-get remove pulseaudio", and both worked, but after a restart, there's still an X on Volume Control, with the same error when clicked. Although, PulseAudio Sound Server is still listed in the Sound preferences, so I'm not sure if there's some other package that you have to remove to get it off all the way.

Anyway, since I didn't remove these two before installing OSS, does that mean I have to reinstall that as well?

As for GStreamer, it didn't have a package for Ubuntu on its list, so I thought I had no choice but to compile it myself. But either way, it's already done now, I have all those plugins installed.

I am a little confused since you said 'both work', so it is working now except for the volume applet? The volume applet will not work unless you follow the directions in the first link about patching gstreamer.

Anyway, you might need to uninstall+reinstall OSS but i doubt it if it is working.

edit: You should almost always look and see if something is in the repositories first before going to a programs site and finding out that you need to compile from source. I say almost because in cases like OSS in the repos being dated and other reasons(patching etc..). Note that gstreamer was installed by default on your system, and you might have installed over an existing version which might not play well if you ever touch it with dpkg.

tehk fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 11, 2008

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

tehk posted:

I am a little confused since you said 'both work', so it is working now except for the volume applet? The volume applet will not work unless you follow the directions in the first link about patching gstreamer.

Anyway, you might need to uninstall+reinstall OSS but i doubt it if it is working.

edit: You should almost always look and see if something is in the repositories first before going to a programs site and finding out that you need to compile from source. I say almost because in cases like OSS in the repos being dated and other reasons(patching etc..). Note that gstreamer was installed by default on your system, and you might have installed over an existing version which might not play well if you every touch it with dpkg.

No, I meant they both uninstalled successfully. Anyway, I added ossxmix to the toolbar, but that application doesn't seem to help with anything--I still don't have any audio. Should I reinstall OSS? Also, I think there's a PulseAudio package that I haven't removed, because PulseAudio Sound Server is still an option in the Sound preferences. All I removed the first time was the package "pulseaudio".

Edit: Is there a way to disable my onboard audio (the High Definition Audio)? Maybe if I do that, it'll default to my sound card.

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 11, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Anunnaki posted:

No, I meant they both uninstalled successfully. Anyway, I added ossxmix to the toolbar, but that application doesn't seem to help with anything--I still don't have any audio. Should I reinstall OSS? Also, I think there's a PulseAudio package that I haven't removed, because PulseAudio Sound Server is still an option in the Sound preferences.

I see that you have your on board sound on. So maybe its outputting to that? Might want to disable it in your bios(best solution) or set the xfi as your default for oss(which I forget how to do).

I am away from the desktop but I think oss comes with a sound test program that you run from a console called osstest.

edit: I suggest something like osstest because you might have broken gstreamer, but I think its the default card issue that is currently causing you to be without sound.

edit2:

VVVV Follow that links instructions about gstreamer with the patch that fixes the controls

tehk fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 11, 2008

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Okay, I just ran osstest, and once it got to my sound card, it worked! Okay, so now I have confirmation that my audio problems are just because everything, including the OS, is defaulting to my onboard audio. I need to disable it somehow.

Edit: Just disabled HD Audio via the BIOS and now audio is completely functional! YAY! Now all I need to do is figure out how to control the volume in an easier manner than opening ossxmix every time I want to change the volume. And, if possible, link my keyboard's volume wheel to it.

Edit 2: ^^^^^^ Followed the instructions; it doesn't seem to do anything. Also, how to I assign a script to a key?

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 12, 2008

MillDaKill
Aug 19, 2003

How could you Carl?
Is anyone using an Ubuntu 8.04 MythTV backend and the XBMCmythtv python scripts? I was finally able to connect from my xbox to my mythtv server but the videos seem to come up as being 4 minutes long and they freeze once they hit that time limit. Everything works fine from the pc frontend

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What's the best way to get a USB controller working in Kubuntu 7.10? Specifically it's a Xbox 360 controller. When I plug it in, my system doesn't recognize it and the circle in the middle of the controller just blinks.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

tehk posted:

I see that you have your on board sound on. So maybe its outputting to that? Might want to disable it in your bios(best solution) or set the xfi as your default for oss(which I forget how to do).

I am away from the desktop but I think oss comes with a sound test program that you run from a console called osstest.

edit: I suggest something like osstest because you might have broken gstreamer, but I think its the default card issue that is currently causing you to be without sound.

edit2:

VVVV Follow that links instructions about gstreamer with the patch that fixes the controls

Using the scripts provided on that Wiki, I installed xbindkeys and attempted to bind those scripts to my volume wheel, but they don't work. I am running "chmod +x" on all of them before applying the change, but it still doesn't do anything when I roll the wheel.

When I press "Run Action" on the script, when I run the Lower Volume script, the Terminal brings up this error:
code:
ossmix: invalid option -- 2
Usage: ossmix -h		Displays help (this screen)
Usage: ossmix [-d<devno>] [arguments]
arguments:
	-D			Display device information
	-c			Dump mixer settings for all mixers
	ctrl# value		Change value of a mixer control
	<no arguments>	Display current/possible settings
and when I run the Raise Volume script, I get this:
code:
(standard_in) 1: syntax error
Bad mixer control name(1) 'misc.pcm1'
Am I just setting something up wrong, or what?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Another sound related question:

I'm deaf in one ear and listening to music with headphones is driving me nuts when an instrument is mixed to only one channel. There's sometimes ways of specifying mono output for applications, but not always. What would I do on a Ubuntu 8.04 system to downmix everything? Basically, I never want to hear stereo again.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

sund posted:

Another sound related question:

I'm deaf in one ear and listening to music with headphones is driving me nuts when an instrument is mixed to only one channel. There's sometimes ways of specifying mono output for applications, but not always. What would I do on a Ubuntu 8.04 system to downmix everything? Basically, I never want to hear stereo again.
Check out this: http://diehealthy.org/linux/mono-please. There should be a way to do it via pulseaudio directly tho

edit: pulseaudio manager has a way to do this per device using alsa module sinks, if you cannot find a good guide for that the asoundrc solution should work

tehk fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 13, 2008

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Anunnaki posted:

and when I run the Raise Volume script, I get this:
code:
(standard_in) 1: syntax error
Bad mixer control name(1) 'misc.pcm1'
Am I just setting something up wrong, or what?
Over here in Solaris, the main output of the X-Fi is simply called pcm. The script's probably broken.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Fedora 9 was released today! Here are some links

tehk fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 13, 2008

midnite
May 10, 2003

It's all in the wrist
I've read the Fedora FAQ but did not find any answers to my question. I would like to read the whole thread, but the 89 pages is a bit daunting without search. So, I apologize if this has been asked and answered.

At where I work, a small 8 or so person company, we have a Fedora 6 Linux box that handles our internal Wiki, some other internal web pages (Apache), newsgroups (INN) and basically that's it. We are upgrading the hardware of the machine because some of the internal web apps suck up the memory and processor. Since the old hardware is a Dell server-like box, upgrading it is difficult and more expensive than just buying new hardware.

So, we bought new hardware.

What is the easiest way to move the old Fedora installation to the new machine? Do I have to reinstall Fedora and each application, configuration, etc.? Getting the machine to where it is now was not a simple task with the configuration script changes. These were mostly to get the newsgroup server running to our requirements and login credentials, and a lot of apache work for the internal web apps (Django install and all the dependencies).

Is it possible to put the harddrive from the old machine into the new one (or 'dd' it to the new one, and if so - how?) and run some magic command on it and things 'just work'?

Here are the specs on the old and new machine:

Old Machine Specs:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1300MHz
~120GB HDD
256MB RDRAM
nVidia GeForce 2 MX/MX400
Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1
12X-16X DVD-ROM drive
16X/10X/40X CD-RW drive
56K Modem
Intel i850 Chipset

New Machine Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500
WD 250GB HDD
2x2GB DDR2-667 RAM
Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics
Realtek ALC662 integrated 6 channel audio
LiteOn 16X/52X/32X/52X combo drive
The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C which sports an Intel 945GC chipset

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!
I had moved my hard drive over to a radically different hardware setup, and everything worked without any problem. It would be worth a try to just dd the drive over to the new one and see if it just works.

Edit: Of course when I just moved the drive over it was my personal computer not a server that a company depended on :)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

tehk posted:

Fedora 9 was released today! Here are some links

Going to give Fedora a shot again, anything in particular that sets this release apart from the previous ones?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Your Japanese Dad posted:

Going to give Fedora a shot again, anything in particular that sets this release apart from the previous ones?

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/

Im about to get a new laptop and Im having trouble decided what to put on it, FC9 or Ubuntu 8.04. Im still using FC7 because I felt 8 was really buggy.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

midnite posted:

New Machine Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500
WD 250GB HDD
2x2GB DDR2-667 RAM
Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics
Realtek ALC662 integrated 6 channel audio
LiteOn 16X/52X/32X/52X combo drive
The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C which sports an Intel 945GC chipset

You did an amazing job picking your hardware, its like you used this chart(like I do)

If any one missed LugRadio Live USA this year all the videos are up here. There are a bunch of good ones like Matthew Garretts 'Power Management, Anger', the Mass Debate, Jeremy Allison's Samba talk, and the Banshee one.

There is also a talk about OpenSolaris by Ian Murdoch(the new marketing savy version of the Debain founder..). It's like Debian without all that free stuff!

tehk fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 14, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

rugbert posted:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/

Im about to get a new laptop and Im having trouble decided what to put on it, FC9 or Ubuntu 8.04. Im still using FC7 because I felt 8 was really buggy.

I saw this but the "New in Fedora" probably doesn't cover all of it.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

midnite posted:

Is it possible to put the harddrive from the old machine into the new one (or 'dd' it to the new one, and if so - how?) and run some magic command on it and things 'just work'?
You should only have to rerun the netconfig script (or equivalent) from a local terminal. I would make sure you have the most recent kernel as well. Image the drive first if you want to be thorough. To save time, boot a LiveCD on the new machine and write down what driver it autoloads.

cocaine
Apr 12, 2008
How do I install my zen touch on ubuntu?

When I disable ssid broadcasting I can't get wireless to work. I don't really care because ssid broadcasting means nothing to a hacker either way, but I'm not the admin here so I can't make that decision. Help.

When I disable onboard sound ubuntu doesn't pickup my audigy. It sets the audigy as the default (good) - to hear anything I have to run 2 soundcards simultaneously, having one just sitting on it's rear end sucking resources for no loving reason (not good).

I was trying to check a 200 gb ntfs partition on a hdd I recently plugged in - bios picked up fine, so did windows... ubuntu couldn't see it. I figured I had to mount it but I DON'T KNOW HOW THE gently caress DO I DO THAT I HATE THIS.

Oh and youtube/flash movies in general are really choppy and unwatchable. Using the adobe flash install.

cocaine fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 14, 2008

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

cocaine posted:

How do I install my zen touch on ubuntu?

When I disable ssid broadcasting I can't get wireless to work. I don't really care because ssid broadcasting means nothing to a hacker either way, but I'm not the admin here so I can't make that decision. Help.

When I disable onboard sound ubuntu doesn't pickup my audigy. It sets the audigy as the default (good) - to hear anything I have to run 2 soundcards simultaneously, having one just sitting on it's rear end sucking resources for no loving reason (not good).

I was trying to check a 200 gb ntfs partition on a hdd I recently plugged in - bios picked up fine, so did windows... ubuntu couldn't see it. I figured I had to mount it but I DON'T KNOW HOW THE gently caress DO I DO THAT I HATE THIS.

Oh and youtube/flash movies in general are really choppy and unwatchable. Using the adobe flash install.

This command will help you locate the drive
code:
sudo fdisk -l
this will show all attached drives.
then you use mount to mount it to /media or /mnt OR

check out this site :
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

this will help you learn fstab which will mount your drive automatically at start up

rugbert fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 14, 2008

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I have an mp3 player that mounts as a drive (which is handy but I digress). Whenever I copy files to it from the CLI, they end up transferring in a seemingly random order (ie track 6 then track 4 then track 10 and so forth). The problem is that my mp3 player plays the files in the order that they're written. What's the best way to write them in the correct order?

Edit: I mean apart from copying them one by one, obviously, because that gets REALLY tedious.

Excavation fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 14, 2008

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

shyguy posted:

What's the best way to get a USB controller working in Kubuntu 7.10? Specifically it's a Xbox 360 controller. When I plug it in, my system doesn't recognize it and the circle in the middle of the controller just blinks.

You may want to try this userland driver - http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/, as the other method requires mucking about with the kernel: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2508490

ynef
Jun 12, 2002

Coupon Wizard posted:

I have an mp3 player that mounts as a drive (which is handy but I digress). Whenever I copy files to it from the CLI, they end up transferring in a seemingly random order (ie track 6 then track 4 then track 10 and so forth). The problem is that my mp3 player plays the files in the order that they're written. What's the best way to write them in the correct order?

Edit: I mean apart from copying them one by one, obviously, because that gets REALLY tedious.

If the copy order is important, you should figure out a way to modify it to your liking. For instance, a combination of "find" and "sort", thrown into "xargs" or (if xargs also screws it up for you) just simply output as a list of files to copy should work.

Does the file system on the mp3 player support you changing the times of creation via "touch"? Perhaps that could work instead?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

ynef posted:

If the copy order is important, you should figure out a way to modify it to your liking. For instance, a combination of "find" and "sort", thrown into "xargs" or (if xargs also screws it up for you) just simply output as a list of files to copy should work.

Does the file system on the mp3 player support you changing the times of creation via "touch"? Perhaps that could work instead?

Usually the limitations would come not from ctime but from the order things are returned by readdir() which is a function of how they're added to whatever list is maintained by the directory.

I think a glob from the shell should be sorted, based on your current locale.

covener fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 14, 2008

chris_bacon
Feb 27, 2008
Is it possible to output a process to the screen and a text file?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

chris_bacon posted:

Is it possible to output a process to the screen and a text file?

use tee (-a is append)

foo | tee -a logfile

or foo 2>&1 | tee -a logfile

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

covener posted:

foo | tee -a logfile

or foo 2>&1 | tee -a logfile

What is the difference between the two commands (specifically, what does "2>&1" mean")?

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

bootleg robot posted:

What is the difference between the two commands (specifically, what does "2>&1" mean")?

That tells bash to redirect standard error into standard out. Comes in very very handy in a lot of situations: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO-3.html

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
I know its a niggling complaint, but since Fedora 9 uses a pre-release version of X server, nvidia has not released drivers that work on it yet. I'll stick with Fedora, since I like the way it's working out so far, but hopefully these come out in the next month or two.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Is there a way to adopt one package management system for another? If Im going to get a laptop I should probably install Ubuntu. I hate apt-get tho, is there anyway of uninstalling it and using yum??

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Has anyone tried out Flash10 beta yet?
It seems to have just come out yesterday, wired did a write up of it here. I've installed it at home, but have not had a chance to see if it stops crashing so much.

rugbert posted:

Is there a way to adopt one package management system for another? If Im going to get a laptop I should probably install Ubuntu. I hate apt-get tho, is there anyway of uninstalling it and using yum??

Why would you want to use ubuntu if you don't like apt-get? Why not just install Fedora?

deong fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 15, 2008

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

rugbert posted:

Try aptitude on Ubuntu, it's got more brains than apt-get... but really, the package managers all do roughly the same thing. Is it the fundamental packaging approach of Debian/Ubuntu that you don't like? It seems strange to "hate" a tool like apt-get...

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

rugbert posted:

As other said, you should probably install fedora. 9 is amazing except for the nvidia thing. You can install yum but.. You will have no accesses to the ubuntu repositories using yum, and if you add some repositories from somewhere else then those packages probably will not work on your system. The following link will help you with the using apt over yum process
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromLinux/%20RedHatEnterpriseLinuxAndFedora

The only thing that gets me regarding apt vs yum is bash-completions seems a bit faster when dealing with apt-get/aptitude packages, it seems to pause for a second on yum. Anyway both are great tools and that is a small bother.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

tehk posted:

As other said, you should probably install fedora. 9 is amazing except for the nvidia thing. You can install yum but.. You will have no accesses to the ubuntu repositories using yum, and if you add some repositories from somewhere else then those packages probably will not work on your system. The following link will help you with the using apt over yum process
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromLinux/%20RedHatEnterpriseLinuxAndFedora

The only thing that gets me regarding apt vs yum is bash-completions seems a bit faster when dealing with apt-get/aptitude packages, it seems to pause for a second on yum. Anyway both are great tools and that is a small bother.

Whats up with the nvidia thing? The only reason I would use ubuntu over fc9 is for the hardware compatibility with laptops.

Ive noticed that yum kinda hangs for a second too, its a bit faster than the previous version tho, but I like the extra detail in the older one.

I guess I used the word hate to liberally, I dont HATE apt-get but I dont like how theres not a search feature? I forgot about aptitude tho, that wasnt bad at all.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

rugbert posted:

I guess I used the word hate to liberally, I dont HATE apt-get but I dont like how theres not a search feature? I forgot about aptitude tho, that wasnt bad at all.

apt-cache search

Apt is modular and has more components then just apt-get like apt-cache, apt-extracttemplates, apt-key, apt-cdrom, apt-ftparchive, apt-mark, apt-config, and apt-sortpkgs. As for hardware, I just installed f9 on my macbook and it seems fine except things that ubuntu has problems with also which can be solved using madwifi trunk. As for the 'nvidia thing', someone mentioned issues with nvidia drivers above but I have not investigated it.

tehk fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 15, 2008

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

tehk posted:

apt-cache search

Apt is modular and has more components then just apt-get like apt-cache, apt-extracttemplates, apt-key, apt-cdrom, apt-ftparchive, apt-mark, apt-config, and apt-sortpkgs. As for hardware, I just installed f9 on my macbook and it seems fine except things that ubuntu has problems with also which can be solved using madwifi trunk. As for the 'nvidia thing', someone mentioned issues with nvidia drivers above but I have not investigated it.

hol-ly crap! I had no idea! apt looks pretty versatile, now Im going to have a damned hard time deciding which one to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

tehk posted:

apt-cache search
As for the 'nvidia thing', someone mentioned issues with nvidia drivers above but I have not investigated it.

You can still use the nv driver but it still doesn't give you the same acceleration that the nvidia driver does. It just will take a little patience.