Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Overbite posted:

How hard is it to change the sounds of the drums? They were too clean for my tastes.
Really easy. Cut up a drum sound you want from a break, or get one of those sample kits with a bunch of drums, and try those out. Also, effects play a huge part in drums. A little bit of eqing can make a snare really pop or give a bass drum some umfff it didn't have before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

IanTheM posted:

Well, it makes sense for a studio. But I think he was writing from an amateur perspective. Obviously what separates a studio from your apartment is the specialization and money going into it.

I assumed studio because he said "I'm of the opinion that people who spend tens of thousands of dollars on all sorts of extra bullshit for their studios are idiots."

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'd suggest saying gently caress Fruity and using Live right off the bat. I found that Fruity tries way to hard to be "cool" to attract the new producer, and turns out to be really counter-intuitive once you figure out what you're doing and want to expand.

Stux posted:

I assumed studio because he said "I'm of the opinion that people who spend tens of thousands of dollars on all sorts of extra bullshit for their studios are idiots."

I was referring to a personal thing, not a professional studio with clients and what-not, because most people refer to their own setup as their "studio". My bad for not clarifying. Sure, if you've got a huge budget pro studio, drop a quarter mil on an SSL.

Not sure where to ask, but I'm going to post a bunch of records on CraigsList here soon, but don't know what to ask for them.

quote:

4 Strings - Until You Love Me
Andain - Summer Calling
ATB - Ecstasy
Atlantis vs Avatar - Fiji
Amber - The Need To Be Naked
Angel City ft Laura McAllen - Love Me Right
Armin van Buuren - Shivers
Blondie - Best Of
Conjure One - Extraordinary Way
Coburn - We Interrupt This Programme
DHT - Listen To Your Heart
Delerium ft Leigh Nash - Innocente
Deep Dish - Flashdance
Trevor Mclachlan - Destiny
Delerium - After All
DJ Sammy - The Boys Of Summer
Dee Dee - The One
Dirty Vegas - Days Go By
Da Hool ft Heather Leigh West - Set the Stakes High
Freezepop - Dancy Ultra Fresh (Signed, limited to 600)
Groove Coverage - Poison (picture vinyl)
Hooligan - Hear You Now
Ins - When You Call / Angel 2005 (Whitelabel)
Kathy Phillips - I Wish
Kung Pow ft Beverly Houston - Keeping Me In Tears
Kyau vs Albert - Made Of Sun / Falling Anywhere
Lexy & K-Paul - Dancing
Madonna - Hollywood
Master Blaster - Dial My Number / Hands Up
Master Blaster - How Old R U
Madeline - Beautiful Child
Motorcycle - As the Rush Comes
Markus Schulz - First Time / Electro Hairspray
Nalin & Kane - Beachball
New Order - Confusion / Everthing's Gone Green / Waiting For the Sirens' Call
Outfly - La Marche De La Lune
Paul Van Dyk vs Delerium - Silence / ??? (Whitelabel)
Paul Van Dyk ft Hemstock & Jennings - Nothing But You
Paul Van Dyk ft Jessica Sutta - White Lies
Praga Khan - Rave Alert / I Feel Good / Phantasia Forever
Royksopp - Only This Moment
Solar Stone - Seven Cities
Tiesto - Adagio For Strings
Tiesto ft BT - Love Comes Again
TATU - All the Things She Said
Way Out West - Killa

Anyone have a ballpark estimate for the lot? Everything except maybe four or five are in excellent shape.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 11, 2008

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Stux posted:

Well, I guess its an investment/return type thing. If Madonna and Kanye West are frequenting your studio than I guess you have money to burn to have the best poo poo in the world. If you're on a budget than spending your money on that stuff is a waste no matter what. I'm not sure if I'm defending him anymore, I'm just saying it the way I see it. It's a business after all.

Been working on a new house song, heavily sampling 2 bars of a 9 minute Herbie Hancock song but I'm not sure what direction to go with it:

I haven't started mixing it properly, so it'll probably sound substandard all coming from the same direction, but its a draft.

Here's another more complete song, more to the hardcore electro side of things:

I can probably go easier on the amount of breakdowns, make it shorter and make greater use of the other riffs I had at the end there. Hopefully you guys will like some of it.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Heh, make no mistake - If I had the money I'd blow millions on a recording facility and on consultants to quickly show me how to use it all properly. But I don't so theres no point wasting time and energy thinking about it.

I wouldn't spend like 10 grand on cables though. That type of thing is dumb. I'd spend most of it on a detached house with a floating room and acoustics that are so unbelievably amazing that a fart could get mistaken for the voice of a baby cherub.

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?

Overbite posted:

I really want to start making electronic music but I have no budget. I'm looking to get a sound like NIN, Gravity Kills, KMFDM, ect. I'm guessing I should get a midi controller and some software like Fruity Loops but my budget is around $150 at the max. I have all these ideas for music I want to make but I have no idea where to get started.

don't forget about freeware and the like. there are free sequencers, free plugin hosts, free everythings - you name it. reaper seems like a decent place to start (http://www.cockos.com/reaper/) as your host. once you've got this the world of free plugins is your oyster - you can get a free plugin to do pretty much everything you've ever wanted and more.

i'd just buy a midi controller in the mean-time and just get to it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

IanTheM posted:

Well, I guess its an investment/return type thing. If Madonna and Kanye West are frequenting your studio than I guess you have money to burn to have the best poo poo in the world. If you're on a budget than spending your money on that stuff is a waste no matter what. I'm not sure if I'm defending him anymore, I'm just saying it the way I see it. It's a business after all.

There are some very cheap DIY ways to improve the sound of a room and how much sound leaks out though. Personally, even though I only do poo poo in a bed room, when I next move I'm going to be choosing a room where I can have my desk in the middle of a wall and use some light treatment and sound proofing. You can get nice results for little investment.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
How is this for a quick stab at putting together the basis an electro house track? I've got it past the intro up to where it kicks in so far, but only with a mid-range bass and drums at the moment.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

squidgee posted:

How is this for a quick stab at putting together the basis an electro house track? I've got it past the intro up to where it kicks in so far, but only with a mid-range bass and drums at the moment.

Before it kicks in it's kinda lame, but the progression with the sidechaining's good. (that IS sidechaining right?) The only problem is it feels like its been done before, and it'd get annoying to listen to if you don't add something on to it.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

IanTheM posted:

Before it kicks in it's kinda lame, but the progression with the sidechaining's good. (that IS sidechaining right?) The only problem is it feels like its been done before, and it'd get annoying to listen to if you don't add something on to it.

Oh, this is anything but done. It's just something I slapped together in an hour or two last night, and I wanted to post it to see if I was going in the right direction or if I ought to scrap it and start again. And yeah, that's some serious sidechaining. The number of effects and compressors I have on it right now is mindboggling for how simplistic the track currently is.

Maybe I'll scrap the long intro and make it a much quicker punch to the open filter. The only reason I did that in the first place is that a long intro makes life so much easier when it comes to mixing the track.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 11, 2008

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
http://www.zshare.net/audio/11872215f8030daa/

Made this a while ago, it'd be cool to get some feedback on it. It hasn't been totally mixed so it might sound a li'l off but it's pretty solid I think.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You don't actually need a MIDI controller to do anything.

I'd wait to buy one until you're sure this is something you want to do. I didn't have one for months and I managed just fine.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
blingasaurus rex,
that track is pretty awesome. The only thing that really bothers me is the kind of melody that's constantly playing under it, the bass synth progression or w.e. It sounds out of key or, just somehow wrong and out of place with the really cool poinging and chopped up stuff over top of it. I would recommend removing, or at least changing the synth lead in the second part because it sounds really immature compared to the rest of the song, along with sounding exactly like a pre-set everyone's heard before in Reason (I'm pretty sure that's where I've heard it).

On another note: Anyone know of a good free/cheap violin VST/AU? I want to experiment with some Chic-esque sounds, but sampling violins doesn't always give me the range I want to use.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

blingasaurus rex posted:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/11872215f8030daa/

Made this a while ago, it'd be cool to get some feedback on it. It hasn't been totally mixed so it might sound a li'l off but it's pretty solid I think.

What are you using for the lead that comes in at 2:32? I've been looking for that sound.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

archie posted:

don't forget about freeware and the like. there are free sequencers, free plugin hosts, free everythings - you name it. reaper seems like a decent place to start (http://www.cockos.com/reaper/) as your host. once you've got this the world of free plugins is your oyster - you can get a free plugin to do pretty much everything you've ever wanted and more.

i'd just buy a midi controller in the mean-time and just get to it.

I tried to mess around in Reaper and had no idea how to even make a noise, but using Fruity Loops I was able to make a basic song right away. Still don't know how to get the sounds I want though, everything sounds too clean and dancy.

Reaper looks better because it's cheap, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Kai was taken posted:

What are you using for the lead that comes in at 2:32? I've been looking for that sound.

That's oscillator sync. I could come pretty near in 2 minutes with Pro-53 and Synth1.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Can the Mini-KP do the same things as a Kaossilator? Can they both be used to control a KAOSS Pad? I don't really understand the difference between the two.

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=KO1&category_id=2

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=MiniKP&category_id=2

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Yoozer posted:

That's oscillator sync. I could come pretty near in 2 minutes with Pro-53 and Synth1.

Give me a reasonably close setup for it and I'm going to try to hack it with what I've got to work with.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

See what you can do with that :).

puntme posted:

Can the Mini-KP do the same things as a Kaossilator?
No.

quote:

Can they both be used to control a KAOSS Pad?
Why'd you want to do that :psyduck:

quote:

I don't really understand the difference between the two.
The Mini-KP is an effects device (a Kaoss Pad without all the bells and whistles and size) and needs an external input signal to make sound.
The Kaossilator makes sound by itself.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
I've been wondering, while listening to SebastiAn's track Momy, when they/he mixed this down did he create two tracks for one sound and have one of them be the peak while the other act as its midrange, or does this normally happen when you're mixing and choosing which side of the speaker to come from? For the track, if you listen to the guitar to the begging its midrange comes from the right and only a peak of it comes from the left is what I mean.

More importantly, anyone have some good mix-down tips/good guides?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Overbite posted:

I tried to mess around in Reaper and had no idea how to even make a noise, but using Fruity Loops I was able to make a basic song right away. Still don't know how to get the sounds I want though, everything sounds too clean and dancy.

Reaper looks better because it's cheap, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use it.

Heres the basics to using reaper:

To make a track right click on the bit on the left and make a track. The tracks can all use both midi and audio.
Click the FX button on the track, then load up your instruments and effects. Click insert and then midi info or whatever it is, then draw in your notes.

Hooray! Not completely accurate as its from memory but near enough. If you cant figure something out there is a wiki dedicated to repear on their website so have a look at that, has stuff about first time setup, midi controllers etc.

Siamey
Aug 26, 2007
Hey guys, how do I go about getting the singing simpletext style poo poo in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey0hM5ZQzy4

OP said you need a mac? I have one lying around, how do i get simpletext to sing melodies? run it through autotune after chopping it up? seems complicated.

I've got several years with computer audio and things of that nature, but havent been able to find this mystery program. Also is it what benassi uses? "love is gonna save us" is an awesome song, I wish i could recreate the vocals from it

THONKS!

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Siamey posted:

Hey guys, how do I go about getting the singing simpletext style poo poo in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey0hM5ZQzy4

OP said you need a mac? I have one lying around, how do i get simpletext to sing melodies? run it through autotune after chopping it up? seems complicated.

I've got several years with computer audio and things of that nature, but havent been able to find this mystery program. Also is it what benassi uses? "love is gonna save us" is an awesome song, I wish i could recreate the vocals from it

THONKS!

Funny this should come up, I'm actually working on a tune now with "Vicki." On OS X the text to speech program is in System Preferences -> Speech. However I'm pretty sure in that Cylob track (great tune by the way - remember buying the 12" some years back) he's just using a vocoder.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Siamey posted:

THONKS!

I'd just open Ventrilo and put something in the chat window for the TTS engine to speak, while looping back my system output to an armed channel.

I don't know a lot about vocal processing like that since I don't use it myself, but most things are done with autotune and/or a vocoder.

Siamey
Aug 26, 2007
Yea, figures.

Thanks guys :)

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
I need help with Reason, Ableton and ReWire. I've figured out how to be able to play the Reason softsynth in Live, but I can't figure out how to configure MIDI in Live to utilize the Reason synth. Basically, I can record the straight audio from reason but I want MIDI not audio.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

I actually had no idea you could do this until you posted that so we both learned something today :3:

stun runner fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 14, 2008

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I think you have to manually nudge the audio you record a little bit because of the delay from re-wire recording, unless the autodelay can be set forwards.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
You can set the Track Delay to a negative value, which will cause the track to play earlier than it normally would (pre-delay).

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

blingasaurus rex posted:

I actually had no idea you could do this until you posted that so we both learned something today :3:

Thanks a ton, that makes life a lot simpler.

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
Ok. I love electronic music, everything from trip hop to dnb, techno, trance, industrial, experimental, everything.

I want to mess around and create music of my own. Not shooting for anything great, just want to express myself through music.

I don't really know what genre I'd be making, I just want to make some experimental stuff, some beats, I really dont know.

How would one start out? Like, what stuff should I get, preferable inexpensive, just to mess around and kinda find out what I end up creating. I suppose then I can get more genre specific tools or whatever. I dunno. I also dunno how once I get whatever I need to get started, how exactly you start learning what to do.

Um...so help me out I guess?

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
I've been gone for a while - school and DJing is taking up most of my time. But I've been listening to Oi Oi Oi by Boys Noize a lot lately and I've been wondering something - how does he make these sounds?

I can understand how to program a sound like that, something like a sawtooth/square wave, open up the filter, compress it, distort it, right? However, how do you sequence something like that? Take the song Lava Lava - I think, given enough time, I could program that sound. But I have absolutely no idea how he sequenced it. It sounds to me like not only is he manipulating the pitch - making falls and stuff like that, but also the attack and release envelopes on a level I can't even begin to understand. Does he just micromanage it a lot, or is there some easier way I don't see?

I just don't really get how everyone from that genre, Justice, Boys Noize, all the Ed Banger guys, work.

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 18, 2008

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Altoidss posted:

I've been gone for a while - school and DJing is taking up most of my time. But I've been listening to Oi Oi Oi by Boys Noize a lot lately and I've been wondering something - how does he make these sounds?

I can understand how to program a sound like that, something like a sawtooth/square wave, open up the filter, compress it, distort it, right? However, how do you sequence something like that? Take the song Lava Lava - I think, given enough time, I could program that sound. But I have absolutely no idea how he sequenced it. It sounds to me like not only is he manipulating the pitch - making falls and stuff like that, but also the attack and release envelopes on a level I can't even begin to understand. Does he just micromanage it a lot, or is there some easier way I don't see?

I just don't really get how everyone from that genre, Justice, Boys Noize, all the Ed Banger guys, work.

I'm pretty sure he's playing with the glide option, I'm not sure if most synths have the option but I'm pretty sure that's how he's going about this.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

unknown poster posted:

How would one start out?
Read. The. First. Post. In. This. Thread.

Since you're completely undecided on anything else, for god's sake, specify a budget otherwise everyone's going to assume that you have more money to burn than sense.

Since you're starting out, download every piece of demo software of each sequencer you can get your hands on.

Make something. Don't ask, just go balls to the wall and try to wrap your brain around it; if that doesn't work, wrap it around your brain.

Report back after 2 weeks.

Why yes, I do sound like a dick, but seriously, it helps immensely if you just throw yourself at it. Postpone any difficult questions ("why doesn't it sound like on CD", "what plugin do I need to get sound X from") for later, you'll be surprised and frustrated at the answers.

Altoidss posted:

I can understand how to program a sound like that, something like a sawtooth/square wave, open up the filter, compress it, distort it, right? However, how do you sequence something like that?
With anything.

The glide effect isn't a glide - it's a pitch bend. Pitch bend moves the entire pitch of the entire sequence up or down in a fluid manner. Glide would be a fluid transition from note to note.

It's also not a single wave; distortion and waveshaping is used. Filter overdrive can do a lot of nice stuff too.

quote:

It sounds to me like not only is he manipulating the pitch - making falls and stuff like that, but also the attack and release envelopes on a level I can't even begin to understand. Does he just micromanage it a lot, or is there some easier way I don't see?
Sidechaining, sidechaining, and more sidechaining.

quote:

Multiband compressor set to "retardedly loud". Bitcrushers and filters with overdrive. Lots of really small samples.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 18, 2008

breaks
May 12, 2001

Altoidss posted:

But I have absolutely no idea how he sequenced it. It sounds to me like not only is he manipulating the pitch - making falls and stuff like that, but also the attack and release envelopes on a level I can't even begin to understand. Does he just micromanage it a lot, or is there some easier way I don't see?

It sounds like mostly glide as the previous poster said. And there at least a couple different similar or identical patches in there.

If you do want to manipulate attack and release, obviously you can modulate them in any of several different ways depending on your synths, and also you can use sidechain compression. You can easily hear a compressor sidechained from the kick (or something else with the same pattern) working on the chords after about 2:00.

The main thing to keep in mind about this genre of music is that there is little to no magic in the production work, it's all pretty simple poo poo that has just been taken to ridiculously exaggerated extremes. Don't look too hard for complex solutions.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
Yeah, the Boys Noize lead in Lava Lava is glide and sidechain.
The lead is 1 bar long and the first half bar doesn't use glide, but the second does. This could be automated, but it seems unnecessary, because you can set the glide to only work on overlapping notes (which is mostly likely what he did). Then he sampled that line and put it into the sequencer and cut it up into smaller pieces.
When that was done he put a sidechain compressor on the track to make it pump like that.
The envelopes are probably set to something like 0% attack, 0% decay, 100% sustain, 0% release, but the sidechain gives the impression of a complex ADSR-envelope

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
It's not rocket science if you have this, this, this and this.

Also, ffs, glide and bend are not the same.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 18, 2008

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Yoozer posted:

It's not rocket science if you have this, this, this and this.

Also, ffs, glide and bend are not the same.

Yoozer that is actually kind of awesome. Why you gots to be so good at this?

Any chance you can assist in making an electro bass sound in Reason? I've been twiddling with Thor, and the best I've come up with is this (forgive the simple line, I just drew in some random notes to loop while I worked on the sound):

I can't get it to sound remotely right without a stack of Screams, and I still seem to be lacking aggression. Maybe I'm filtering it too much?

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 18, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

squidgee posted:

Why you gots to be so good at this?
I'm going to be 30 this year and I've been playing with synthesizers since I was 13 :).

quote:

I can't get it to sound remotely right without a stack of Screams, and I still seem to be lacking aggression. Maybe I'm filtering it too much?

I can't get it more agressive than this, sorry :shobon: (order of connection is from top to bottom, mod matrix is hidden since there's nothing happening there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Yoozer posted:

I'm going to be 30 this year and I've been playing with synthesizers since I was 13 :).

I can't get it more agressive than this, sorry :shobon: (order of connection is from top to bottom, mod matrix is hidden since there's nothing happening there).

Awesome, thanks! I'll give that a shot.

Also nice to see I was apparently on the right track. This was what I had going:

• Locked thread