Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

ToastyPotato posted:

Did anyone see the promos for a show called Patent Benders on the Science Channel? It is like, what Smash Labs could have been. I saw them trying to make a parachute hat as well as loading a golf club with a SHOTGUN SHELL to make the ball go farther.

I think I remember seeing this once. If it's the one with the one guy with teeth that are almost completely yellow, then it's actually pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Human Crouton posted:

That sounds neat. It does sound like Smashlab only it doesn't fellate itself by pretending that it's dumb ideas are trying to save the world.

You can keep your anti-robbery devices and your forest fire protection gear, I want a goddamn exploding golf club.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

Did anyone see the promos for a show called Patent Benders on the Science Channel? It is like, what Smash Labs could have been. I saw them trying to make a parachute hat as well as loading a golf club with a SHOTGUN SHELL to make the ball go farther.

I think someone actually makes a club like that already. I seem to remember seeing it in a magazine. You load the head of the club with a 22LR caliber blank which fires at the moment the club hits the ball. I think the blank fired the club face forward to give you extra distance.

Remember kids, new episode of Mythbusters tonight. Jamie and Adam are seeing how far they can throw sticks of dynomite for some myth I've never heard before.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
This episode has already been pretty entertaining. A great visual explosion and Jamie saying "and there's a yeti" matter of factly.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

LordOfThePants posted:

I think someone actually makes a club like that already. I seem to remember seeing it in a magazine. You load the head of the club with a 22LR caliber blank which fires at the moment the club hits the ball. I think the blank fired the club face forward to give you extra distance.

It exists, and comes in more than .22LR, I think I recall .45ACP and maybe even .44 magnum, but that very well could have been someone loving around with one on tv, where I almost certainly heard of this from. The point, again if I recall right, was to help disabled people be able to play golf.

But that's beside the point, that show sounds pretty interesting. When is it going to be on?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Khatib posted:

And how the hell do they cast this poo poo? I would have LOVED to have an opportunity like this. And if they can put those clueless city kids and the food mongering fat whores on there, I sure as poo poo could have filled the bill for that show with a friend or two.

I too am wondering why/how they chose such pudding-butts for the show though it's tragically hilarious to watch them bumble around and pop out comments like "where's the bathroom?" Still, it'd be nice to watch someone who actually knows what they are doing do all the stuff that's necessary to survive, and work out a few comforts in the process. I think that even with someone who knows the area and how to get by out there, it's still plenty dangerous and there's a ton of stuff to do to get ready for winter (gather wood, preserve food, insulate shelter, secure water).

Khatib, I second the desire to do that sort of thing. I'm an Alaskan and I would sign up for this thing in a heartbeat. I love the outdoors. That and I know how to catch a blasted fish.

I feel so bad for that guy and his two daughters. Those girls are going to be very sorry they munched through those potatoes near the end of those 3 months. I wonder if they'll have before and after photos so that we can see how much weight everyone loses.

Khatib posted:

I'm REALLY looking forward to laughing at that trio of city slickers who are 100% clueless. When they were trying to fish, and the one guy just was sticking his rod out through a ton of brush at arms length... I was like... what the gently caress is he ever gonna do if he actually hooks a fish? How is he going to land it without breaking his line? How does he think this works? And then they switched to trying to spear some fish. And I'm thinking... this could get interesting... And the guy starts chunking his lovely crooked tree branches into the water from like 15 feet away like it's going to work. Oh my loving god. Those people are going to STARVE and DIE. And it's going to be loving hilarious watching it happen to them.

I don't think they'll do that poorly. They seem to have a good, upbeat attitude, they're smart though not knowledgeable and they're not ripping into each other like those daughters. Them and the adventure-racer girl and her partner probably have the best chance of pulling through in good spirits.

I feel really bad for the couple in the wall tent. A bitty tent, out exposed like that and in the middle of some serious bear country is just asking for trouble. I hope they have guns. A bear whistle isn't going to cut it. They need GUNS.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

My bets are on the wall tent duo and the 3 city kids. The mountain racer woman could do it, but I think her husband's going to end up loving something up. The wall tenters at least seem to be cautious, so that's good. I think the city kids are going to get it just because they're learning pretty quick. I've noticed already that they're making all the mistakes, but they're realizing that they're doing it wrong and trying new things.

I'd love to do poo poo like this, but I used to teach glacier trekking and basic wilderness survival. I suspect I'd be too overqualified. Now dump me in NYC for 3 weeks without a kitchen and I think I'd die of a heart attack...

Khatib posted:

And for abandoned cabins... the one with the ram horns on it definitely fits that bill. Yeah they were refurbished for the thing or a couple were just really newer anyways... they mentioned how they went out and stocked them with a set amount of food rations prior to the show. So I'm sure they swept the cabins out, emptied them of everything, and fixed anything major that needed fixing. As well as adding the wood stoves. They mentioned that too. I suppose a couple of them might have just had gas stoves or something set up to have fuel packed in on horses.

Horses? WTF? People haven't used horses to supply camps in Alaska for about 100 years.

Cabins here go to poo poo in about 5 years if people don't touch them. Look close, you can see where they've raked the ground after they built the cabins.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

WHAT THE gently caress

Extreme Engineering: Bridging the Bering Strait?

NOBODY wants to build a bridge! What the hell are they talking about? If they're going to do this they could have picked up a paper from sometime in the last 100 years when everyone has been proposing a TUNNEL. Not even a road tunnel, a railroad tunnel!

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

My bets are on the wall tent duo and the 3 city kids. The mountain racer woman could do it, but I think her husband's going to end up loving something up.

Nah, I think that guy will do OK. His title thing said he was a concrete contractor, so I'm assuming he should be fairly handy as far as chopping wood and stuff goes. He probably sits on his rear end in an office or a truck most of the day, but usually guys who do those jobs did the real labor at some point in their lives and understand how it all works out.

And I don't *actually* think the 3 kids are gonna starve and die, but they have one hell of a learning curve to get over.

As far as before and after pictures, they are doing a thing where they check their body fat and glucose levels and all kinds of crap all through the show, so it should be pretty interesting to see how that all progresses, and given that, I'm pretty certain they'll do some before/after comparisons.

quote:

Horses? WTF? People haven't used horses to supply camps in Alaska for about 100 years.

Really? They still use them all the time in Montana/Colorado for like elk hunting trips and stuff. Of course I've never been to Alaska so I don't know how anything works up there.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Most non-mechanized resupply would take place via sled dog team. Otherwise camps and villages are supplied by snowmachine, ATV, riverboat or bush plane.

I doubt those cabins ever had a gas or oil stove. Gas and oil is costly, and requires significant effort to transport and store whereas wood is almost always locally available, simple to store and is quite sufficient for heating needs. If anything they replaced the old stoves with newer ones.

I don't think they built the cabins just for the show. I would go as far to say that if the cabins were indeed abandoned that they have been HEAVILY refurbished, but I would guess that they are already being maintained by the parks service for hikers and whatnot.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
They obviously went through a casting session and picked the fatty kid clan so the viewers would have someone to root for to fail/revel in their misery.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ok, Man v. Wild is about 1000% more disgusting in HD. But hey new episodes!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

IRQ posted:

Ok, Man v. Wild is about 1000% more disgusting in HD. But hey new episodes!

Seriously, that one gigantic grub is probably the closest I've been to losing my lunch watching this show.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Ape Agitator posted:

Seriously, that one gigantic grub is probably the closest I've been to losing my lunch watching this show.

That's probably the first time I've recoiled in disgust at a TV show in a long time. It was a good kind of disgust though, the kind that makes you happy to be drinking hot chocolate in your living room and not chewing on a mouthful of maggot puss.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I just caught the first two episodes of The Alaska Experiment on my Tivo. I feel really bad for that poor guy out there with his two daughters - they seem uber-crazy and he'll probably be ready to move in with a hibernating bear after a month.

I'll definitely keep watching, I bet the show is amazing in HD. It sort of reminds me of Alone in the Wilderness on PBS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke ). If you've never seen it, you should check out the Wikipedia page - it's pretty amazing what one person can do when they have the skill and mindset to do it.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

LordOfThePants posted:

I just caught the first two episodes of The Alaska Experiment on my Tivo.

How many episodes have aired so far? I didn't set mine to record it, but I want to see them. Knowing the Discovery Channel, they'll re-air them, but I don't know how many to look for, and I can't find any type of episode guide on the official web site.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Two episodes have aired so far.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
You know what? I really kinda hate It Takes a Thief. The schadenfreude is amusing at first, but then you realize that they're giving rich, irresponsible assholes free stuff for being irresponsible assholes. If you spend your obviously huge amounts of money on 30 designer handbags instead of paying for a security system, then you deserve to be robbed. And if you've been robbed multiple times without doing anything to better secure your house, then all you deserve is a smack in the face.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It Takes a Thief honestly just makes me want to rob people.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

IndieRockLance posted:

You know what? I really kinda hate It Takes a Thief. The schadenfreude is amusing at first, but then you realize that they're giving rich, irresponsible assholes free stuff for being irresponsible assholes. If you spend your obviously huge amounts of money on 30 designer handbags instead of paying for a security system, then you deserve to be robbed. And if you've been robbed multiple times without doing anything to better secure your house, then all you deserve is a smack in the face.

I agree to an extent. I think what they should do is do the robbery and makeover, but if Jon can break in again on the revisit, they lose the security updates that are easy to remove (just because they can't go tearing the windows out again, etc.) That way, it doesn't gently caress over the people who, for example, are locked in marital struggles over what exactly to DO for home security even though they both want to do something.

Granted, the majority of the show's subjects are fuckups who just don't care but still.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Wow, did anyone see Dirty Jobs last night?

The first part wasn't that notable, but the second job he did was Turkey Inseminator.

I had no idea that all turkeys bred for eating had to be manually inseminated because selective breeding has them so gigantic that they're not physically capable of it themselves.

The method for "extracting" the semen was, to say the least, disgusting. In fact the whole process was disgusting and hosed up. It's crazy to think that without these guys doing that every day, we wouldn't be eating as much turkey as we do.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
Mike Rowe should do a show on inseminating animals.

He's impregnated turkeys, cattle, alpacas, and pigs off the top of my head.

Sennheiser
Jan 27, 2007

by Lowtax
Anyone know any really compelling HD Theater upcoming broadcasts?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Bob Sapp Please posted:

He also did horses. I think that was the first episode I ever saw, too.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Captain Novolin posted:

He also did horses. I think that was the first episode I ever saw, too.

I remember that one- when they finally got to the point where he tried inseminating the filly, they blurred out the entire back end of the horse. All the preview clips of the procedure they'd been airing up to that point showed everything, though.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

Bob Sapp Please posted:

Hopefully you had some good shampoo. Sorry.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
About a month back before new episodes of Man vs Wild, Mythbusters, and Dirty Jobs started part of their commercial was for a show called "When Man Left Earth". Did that get canned or is it still coming?

Also, I used to really really like Man vs Wild when it was about the survival, now it's just Bear killing things and jumping into danger. I wish we would get new Survivorman instead.

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

Aero737 posted:

Also, I used to really really like Man vs Wild when it was about the survival, now it's just Bear killing things and jumping into danger. I wish we would get new Survivorman instead.
Yes, it has been far too long. Bear has his place, but I really miss Les and his harmonica.

Edit: I don't have time to listen to a 45-minute clip, but he apparently says he's about to start filming season 3 at this link: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/somewhereinvegas/2008/03/12/Somewhere-in-Vegas-Les-Stroud

Edit2: Then this link says he's about to start filming season FOUR:

So, I don't know what the gently caress is going on anymore.

Kneecaps fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 17, 2008

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Aero737 posted:

About a month back before new episodes of Man vs Wild, Mythbusters, and Dirty Jobs started part of their commercial was for a show called "When Man Left Earth". Did that get canned or is it still coming?

I believe that was a one-shot. It aired a few months ago as a two-hour special.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Is anyone else watching The Alaska Experience? It started out kind of slow, but it's getting pretty interesting now.

One of the groups (a husband and wife) are doing OK as far as food and firewood, but they have to hike quite a bit for water and they have wolves near their cabin and are spending a lot of time indoors. As such, they're getting a little cabin fever - they're hearing strange noises and the husband says he has nightmares every night. He did a "video confession" on a handicam while his wife was outside saying he woke up in the night and saw what looked like an older woman standing over them watching them sleep. He had to tell someone but he knew it'd scare his wife - so he told his camera.

Another group (three friends) have plenty of firewood, food, water, and what looks like one of the better cabins. They decided to hike the 40 miles to visit the above couple. They expected a four day hike and it took over a week - in the process they ran out of food and water and started getting a bit loopy. As this week's episode ended, they found the cabin they were headed to.

The group doing the worst is the group living in the canvas tent. They didn't catch much in the way of salmon and a lot of what they tried to preserve didn't can correctly. They decided to hike to the gulf of Alaska to try to catch some fish/clams and get some protein in their diets. On the way, they ran across the cabin of the last group, a Dad and his two daughters. That group is doing pretty well despite a lot of infighting. They managed to catch a bunch of salmon and seem pretty set as far as firewood and water go (they rigged up a rain catcher to collect water during the frequent rainstorms.

Like I said, it's becoming pretty interesting. I don't know how many more episodes they have scheduled but I'll be tuning in for the rest of them.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

LordOfThePants posted:

The group doing the worst is the group living in the canvas tent. They didn't catch much in the way of salmon and a lot of what they tried to preserve didn't can correctly. They decided to hike to the gulf of Alaska to try to catch some fish/clams and get some protein in their diets. On the way, they ran across the cabin of the last group, a Dad and his two daughters. That group is doing pretty well despite a lot of infighting. They managed to catch a bunch of salmon and seem pretty set as far as firewood and water go (they rigged up a rain catcher to collect water during the frequent rainstorms.

I was thinking "If it weren't for the camera crews the couple would kill the family in their sleep and take over their cabin."

Seriously, the tent group seems to have gotten the short end of the stick in pretty much every way.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
For those curious about The Alaska Experiment, it seems Discovery is running a marathon of it tonight starting at 8/7c. Perfect time to get it all at once.

IfYouSeeKay
Jul 21, 2003

I want to feel you from the inside

Aero737 posted:

I just saw a promo for it last night and it looks pretty amazing. Tons of never before seen NASA footage in HD. Its going to start on June 8.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

IfYouSeeKay posted:

I just saw a promo for it last night and it looks pretty amazing. Tons of never before seen NASA footage in HD. Its going to start on June 8.

I don't have Discovery HD, I was seriously considering upgrading for this, but I saw on the Discovery Store that they're going to have this on Blu-Ray too. It's $80, which is pretty steep so I'll probably wait to pick it up until they have a sale or something.

Does anyone have the Sunrise Earth set? They have it with Planet Earth on HD-DVD for $50 and I don't have Planet Earth yet. Is Sunrise Earth anything other than just live footage of the sunrise in various places across the US?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Did anyone catch "When We Left Earth" on Sunday in HD? I decided not to go through the hassle to upgrade to HD cable and figured I'd just pick it up on Blu-Ray when they eventually release it. I'm curious as to how the show (especially the old footage) looked in HD. A lot of the footage definitely had that "old film" look, was it in HD?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I only watched like 5 minutes of it but I'm pretty sure it was yeah.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

LordOfThePants posted:

Did anyone catch "When We Left Earth" on Sunday in HD? I decided not to go through the hassle to upgrade to HD cable and figured I'd just pick it up on Blu-Ray when they eventually release it. I'm curious as to how the show (especially the old footage) looked in HD. A lot of the footage definitely had that "old film" look, was it in HD?

I watched it- it was pretty amazing. Most of the old footage was on film so even though it was fairly grainy it definitely looked great in HD.

FloydianOne
May 13, 2006

I just watched episode one of When We Left Earth, and it was awesome. They have so many clips that I have always wanted to see of the Mercury and Gemini space programs. Video looked incredible in HD too. Cant wait to see the next episode. I think they said there will be 6 episodes each 2 hours long going all the way to the International Space Station.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

FloydianOne posted:

I just watched episode one of When We Left Earth, and it was awesome. They have so many clips that I have always wanted to see of the Mercury and Gemini space programs. Video looked incredible in HD too. Cant wait to see the next episode. I think they said there will be 6 episodes each 2 hours long going all the way to the International Space Station.
No, there will be six hour long episodes but they are showing two of them each week. Mercury was episode one, Gemini episode two.

Some of the clips are kind of low quality and very grainy but they've definitely done everything they could to make them as good as possible and they're still cool. Then some of the stuff was just incredible especially of the Gemini space walks. In the HD Theater section ON Demand they have some clips of later missions that will be in future episodes. The Apollo 11 footage was especially crappy they didn't bring a very high quality video camera with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

the-jam posted:

In the HD Theater section ON Demand they have some clips of later missions that will be in future episodes.

They also have the full Gemini and Mercury missions On Demand (standard and HD) for anyone that missed them both Sunday night like I did.

• Locked thread