Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

Zoccoli posted:

Sounds like you want the Mission.

Thanks, from what I understand though, it's a pretty big neighborhood with different sides to it. Should I look closer to 16th or 24th? East or West?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pinkied_Brain posted:

Thanks, from what I understand though, it's a pretty big neighborhood with different sides to it. Should I look closer to 16th or 24th? East or West?

East is generally cheaper than west. IMO it's nicer closer to 24th st, down near 16th there are more sketchy spots and its smellier. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference. Areas like Guerrero st. are quieter and more expensive, I would advise sticking to the eastern side of Mission st. (like along South Van Ness or Folsom) and you can probably get a nice 1br for under 1600 without too much trouble. Streets like Harrison or even east of there are nice too though a bit further from transit. But there is good cheap food all along the eastern stretch of 24th st. There's a bar I like on South Van Ness and 25th called the phone booth, and there are a lot of cool bars, a few music venues, and the more expensive restaurants along Mission and Valencia and down by 16th st.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zoccoli posted:

Sounds like you want the Mission.
In NYC terms the Mission is kind of like Williamsburg.

Other neighborhoods you might want to check out are Hayes Valley, Lower Haight, the Mission end of SoMA and Duboce Triangle. The city is pretty small compared to New York so even if you're not right in the middle of things if you're close to MUNI and a place where cabs run a lot it's easy to get around.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

qirex posted:

In NYC terms the Mission is kind of like Williamsburg.

I've heard a couple people say this before but it doesn't make any sense at all to me. Williamsburg is largely an old Jewish neighborhood and the Mission is largely Salvadoran and Mexican. Very different in terms of culture, food, public art, atmosphere, etc. They both have a lot of hipsters living there but thats the only similarity I can think of, and thats true of plenty of other neighborhoods in both SF and NYC anyway. We don't really have "Jewish neighborhoods" in SF though so its hard to come up with real equivilents.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Have you been to Williamburg lately? It's fixed wheel bicycle knitting club ironic facial hair central now.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

qirex posted:

Have you been to Williamburg lately? It's fixed wheel bicycle knitting club ironic facial hair central now.

Yeah but I'm saying this is true of many other neighborhoods both in NYC and in SF, its not really a defining characteristic. The Mission yeah has quite a few hipsters (as does the Lower Haight and SoMa for that matter) but it also has a very strong Hispanic culture that really isn't found in Williamsburg (but is comparable to some other areas of NYC), and some parts of Williamsburg are still pretty Jewish.

Team Black Zion
Aug 26, 2006

Next time you play chess, be sure to replace your queens and knights with pawns!
Just posting here to say I recently moved to San Francisco, from the oppressive remaindered portions of the rest of America, if anyone is also pretty alone in the city and looking to make a new start. My facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1161678548

I go to San Francisco City College, study art and language, have an apartment with my girlfriend, I like to read, write, game, dance, et cetera.

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP
How hard is it going to be to find a furnished room for 3-4 months within 2 miles of the financial district (market & fremont st), for under $1k/month? :kiddo:

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace

Talking Fart Cloud posted:

How hard is it going to be to find a furnished room for 3-4 months within 2 miles of the financial district (market & fremont st), for under $1k/month? :kiddo:
How many junkies to you want to share the room with? Most of the sub $1000 places that come furnished are really efficiencies (tiny, shared room and/or bathroom), of which there are plenty in Nob Hill & the Tenderloin. I have a friend that only pays $700 a month, but it's the shittiest place I've ever seen.

Zoccoli fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 9, 2008

BreadLust
Feb 28, 2004

humped, dumped, born to suffer; made to undress in the wilderness

Pinkied_Brain posted:

16th/S. Van Ness checking in here... I guess it's a matter of what you consider more repellent: hipster presence or bum piss. Personally I prefer the latter, so I'm happy about where I'm at obviously. Though it's not quite the hive of scum and villainy that is the Loin, you certainly won't have bougie weekenders competing for street parking either.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

Green Mind posted:

Well, I've bought a one way ticket to SFO for May 13th. I'll be leaving with a guitar, a backpack (filled with some clothes, sleeping bag, computer) and a drive to get somewhere out in this place. I'm leaving the loving South for good! Lived here for 19 years and I'm sickkkk of it. My main reason for the move besides the culture change is musical ambitions. Here's the craigslist ad I made, check it out. If anyone is looking to smoke some bowls, chill, etc. let me know. I'm moving out there with no place to live (well, the Green Tortoise for a while) and I don't know anyone in the city, let alone the state. Its gonna be an adventure.

I am also looking to head out to the Pacific Crest Trail sometime later this month for about 3 weeks. I'm totally cool with going alone but if anyone wants to come along, let me know.

CL ad
https://post.craigslist.org/sfo/C/muc/sfc/22/3SvV6Y8NXaUv9QAO/8udim

Here's my facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1104630236

That's some sweet Leftover Crack you're wearing there.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
SHOWS!

Tonight, Morning Benders played at 330 Ritch. CD Release party, it was great! Should have posted, but I totally forgot. If you don't know these guys, they are literally my favorite local band. Great great rock stuff

Saturday, Dead Hensons! If you don't know these guys, it's the Muppet cover band! So fun, they do all the classic Sesame Street poo poo along with weird Muppet rarities. Pinball Number Count (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10, 11 12!) and they always close with Rainbow Connection. Seriously, this band is amazing! Endorsed by the actual Henson songwriters (Paul Williams, to be specific) with members from Chow Nasty, Carne Cruda, and Gammorans. Bottom of the Hill, do it!

JohnnyRed fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 11, 2008

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Zoccoli posted:

How many junkies to you want to share the room with? Most of the sub $1000 places that come furnished are really efficiencies (tiny, shared room and/or bathroom), of which there are plenty in Nob Hill & the Tenderloin. I have a friend that only pays $700 a month, but it's the shittiest place I've ever seen.

I paid 650 for 2 bedrooms in North Beach, which was about a 15 minute walk to the Financial. It was a super nice place on Telegraph Hill, right next to the garden. Definitely a nice place in a safe neighborhood. Obviously the TL is going to be lovely, but you can definitely find cheaper places in nice spots on craigslist. Just get hunting.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Posting here to say that I'm moving to the bay area and will be there around the 24th/25th this month. Not too long after arriving I'm going to be looking for fun (but cheap) stuff to do, but more immediately I'm trolling for roommates so I have a place to stay for two months. So if any of you bay area goons have a backyard shed for me to stay in, you'll never know I was there. I would prefer the San Jose/Mountain View area, but I might be willing to go as far as San Francisco.

I really just need a place to park my car, put down an air mattress and a couple of boxes of clothes, and start searching for a job. I've been a web developer for two years in Texas and I'm just making the move sans job because I'll take whatever I can get that pays the bills at first.

As of late July I will be living with some good friends (probably in a house), but there is no room at all for me right now (my good friend is sleeping on the floor as it is).

Once I get settled, I'm gonna want to do stuff and maybe meet bay area goons just because, but I have a feeling my first couple of months are going to be hectic "me looking for a job and living like a hobo" months.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Just chiming in to represent my living area. I'm at roughly 18th and South Van Ness, much like multiple other members here. For the record, I live in a house for 750 a month. I have 4 other housemates and we all get along. I was pulled in after my response from a craigslist ad.

That said, the house isn't in that great of condition, but it's a great place. The area of town, as people have said, isn't the best in the world but it's certainly, certainly not the worst. If you get off of the BART at 16th/Mission and think it's scummy, well, it is, but give it a few blocks in any direction.

I love it here, and I also want to thank the goons who showed up to the kickball game we had last Sunday. For the record, they're almost every sunday and involve free beer and free fun: http://www.sfkbc.com

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
Well, I think this is my third annual housing post in this thread, but this time it's a little more permanent.

I'm moving to the south bay in a few weeks for a job. I'll be flying down in about two weeks, and start working about two weeks after that. I'm planning to make a big list of phone numbers, rent a car, and try to view and sign for an apartment in that time. Should I be worried about this plan? I know this is the busy season for apartments, but I don't know how it is in the area.

I'm looking at places in Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Campbell, Mountain View, west Milpitas, and north San Jose. Is there a sense that any of these are more expensive than the others, or is it hard to tell?

What parts of San Jose should I watch out for?

Is there a rule of thumb to replace the 30%-of-income-for-rent rule in this area?

Has anyone used bayrentals?

Lots of triangles
Oct 7, 2002
I'm sick of the newbie avatar
I live in Sunnyvale and it kinda sucks, but it's close to where I work (Cupertino). Sunnyvale alternates between kinda scummy and kinda nice, it's weird.

I've heard Milpitas is a dump, but have no experience to back that up.

Mountain View is generally pretty nice. They have a neat downtown. The little I've seen of Campbell is pretty nice, but the 85-N commute is pretty hellish.

For what it's worth, I found my place after a week of searching on craigslist. However, I wanted to get into something fast, so I somewhat settled on location and roommates (one of them's a douche).

Good luck!

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Lots of triangles posted:

I've heard Milpitas is a dump, but have no experience to back that up.

The best thing Milpitas has going for it is it's smack dab in the middle of three of the major South Bay freeways.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Lots of triangles posted:

For what it's worth, I found my place after a week of searching on craigslist. However, I wanted to get into something fast, so I somewhat settled on location and roommates (one of them's a douche).

Good luck!
Thanks. My commute will be by bike, so I'm not too worried about sitting in traffic. Campbell would actually be nicer for that since I'll have a tailwind going home in the summer. And fortunately I will be making enough money to live alone in a decent place.

I hadn't actually been to Craigslist so far, aside from housingmaps. I'm seeing a lot of the properties I was looking at on CL. Good to see there are some available.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

So, I just got punched in the jaw waiting for a muni. I've only been here for a couple months, but is this a regular thing or what?

If it helps, I was down by the city college at around 10 at night.

No it's not a regular thing, but the area near City College can be a little sketchy. There's some gang and drug stuff around there, and the homies from Oceanview/Lakeview/Ingleside are rivals with the homies from the Sunnydale projects, so maybe that's what the whole "where are you from" thing was about (only if you look like a homie though). Or it could have just been some drunk angry rear end in a top hat. Getting punched while waiting for Muni is probably more likely to happen around City College than say the Richmond or Noe Valley or something...there are occasionally shootings and such near CCSF. A couple weeks ago a kid was shot while waiting for Muni too actually. Probably had to do with drugs or something though.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Reminder for goon Broomball this Saturday, folks.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Rah! posted:

No it's not a regular thing, but the area near City College can be a little sketchy. There's some gang and drug stuff around there, and the homies from Oceanview/Lakeview/Ingleside are rivals with the homies from the Sunnydale projects, so maybe that's what the whole "where are you from" thing was about (only if you look like a homie though). Or it could have just been some drunk angry rear end in a top hat. Getting punched while waiting for Muni is probably more likely to happen around City College than say the Richmond or Noe Valley or something...there are occasionally shootings and such near CCSF. A couple weeks ago a kid was shot while waiting for Muni too actually. Probably had to do with drugs or something though.
I think your description of the area is a little overblown. I live in Ingleside and I'd say it's mostly about as safe as much of the Sunset, but it does get a little sketchy on the south slope of the hill around Randolph St. Excepting that area, there's only been one shooting in this neighborhood in the 2 1/2 years I've been living here (the one you mentioned), and it was more of a fluke than anything, since Ocean Ave. is probably one of the safest main drags you can find without being in yuppie-ville.

For what it's worth, my aunt and uncle lived on Grafton Ave. with their daughter from the late 70s through the 90s, when this area was majority black and supposedly had a much worse reputation, and they were never the victims of any crime except for the occasional car break-in.

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...
I'm finally here! I'll be at the park in North Beach next to that church playing guitar for the majority of the day tomorrow. Anyone want to jam/smoke :420:? I'll also consider Golden Gate park or that one in the mission next to the high school.

Original Gamer
Sep 13, 2002

Gonna be in town next month celebrating an anniversary with my girl. Where should I be taking her to dinner? Money is not a concern.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003

Original Gamer posted:

Gonna be in town next month celebrating an anniversary with my girl. Where should I be taking her to dinner? Money is not a concern.

Chez Panisse (which is actually across the bay in Berkeley, which might rule it out for you as you'll want to drink with dinner, but it's so good I have to plug it anyway) http://www.chezpanisse.com/

Boulevard http://www.boulevardrestaurant.com/ is a treat.

Do you have any preferences, like, are you looking for European, California, Asian cuisine? Are you looking for swanky vs. delicious vs. trendy?

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Eia posted:

Chez Panisse (which is actually across the bay in Berkeley, which might rule it out for you as you'll want to drink with dinner, but it's so good I have to plug it anyway) http://www.chezpanisse.com/
Yeah this is like the best meal you'll ever have. But man, money better not be an issue

Kirala is an amazing Japanese place in Berkeley. THey don't take reservations, so you always just have to drop by and wait for a while, but it is the best sushi / sake selection in the bay.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Original Gamer posted:

If money wasn't a concern for me, I'd be eating at Michael Mina.

Original Gamer
Sep 13, 2002

Eia posted:

Boulevard http://www.boulevardrestaurant.com/ is a treat.

Do you have any preferences, like, are you looking for European, California, Asian cuisine? Are you looking for swanky vs. delicious vs. trendy?

I was looking for swanky. She's definatley more for trendy. She saw a place in a magizine called Cliff House where you eat overlooking the ocean and was digging it. Me not so much.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

I think your description of the area is a little overblown. I live in Ingleside and I'd say it's mostly about as safe as much of the Sunset, but it does get a little sketchy on the south slope of the hill around Randolph St. Excepting that area, there's only been one shooting in this neighborhood in the 2 1/2 years I've been living here (the one you mentioned), and it was more of a fluke than anything, since Ocean Ave. is probably one of the safest main drags you can find without being in yuppie-ville.

For what it's worth, my aunt and uncle lived on Grafton Ave. with their daughter from the late 70s through the 90s, when this area was majority black and supposedly had a much worse reputation, and they were never the victims of any crime except for the occasional car break-in.

I'm not trying to make the area sound bad at all, but the person is talking about being punched randomly, so I'm talking about sketchy stuff in the neighborhood (there's plenty of great stuff too).

Also, sorry to burst your bubble, but there's been more than 1 shooting near Ocean Ave in the past 2 1/2 years. There have been at least two this year so far(those were the ones in the news...most non-fatal shootings are never on the news). There was a shooting at the McDonalds on Ocean earlier this year, during a robbery. Police and suspects exchanged gunfire, and a lady was hit by a bullet that came throught the wall of her house. Also according to the lovely SFPD crimemaps, there's been one shooting within a couple blocks of Ocean in the past couple months, this one up in the North-East part, above Ocean, where all the big nice mansions are.

There are shootings probably every week down around Randolph though, and someone was actually shot there yesterday(it used to be much, much worse). 6 people were murdered in the area last year. I go to CCSF, and have a friend who lives at Bright and Randolph, and one of my introductions to the neighborhood a few years ago was a gun battle (not just a 3 second shooting) that killed two people nearby. I've always heard that in the early and mid 90's this was the most violent part of the city, even giving Hunters Point a run for it's money (the area around Randolph and Ocean View park. Lakeview, as people call it). That recent shooting on Ocean, where the boy was shot while waiting for the train, while a little brazen and relatively uncommon for that specific area, is not a fluke at all for the neighborhood.

Ocean Avenue and the area near CCSF is in general pretty fine, and way safer than lakeview, but calling Ocean the safest main drag outside of yuppie-ville is stretching it...Sure its pretty safe, but it's still the main commercial strip of a neighborhood with a good amount of drug and gang activity (albeit mainly in another part of the hood), so it's going to be a little more on the sketchy side at times...Plus, what yuppie-ville street has thugs cruising down it 24/7, and has had at least two shootings so far this year? The neighborhood as a whole is pretty safe for your average non-criminal resident (except for the lady who was shot in the back of the head and killed on Randolph while riding her bike to work in the morning last year, but poo poo happens. It's not very normal for random people to get killed like that). There is definitely sketchy stuff going on in the area. Again, I'm seriously not trying to overblow things...but this is just the truth. It is getting better year by year...

And drat, that was a long post.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 15, 2008

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Original Gamer posted:

I was looking for swanky. She's definatley more for trendy. She saw a place in a magizine called Cliff House where you eat overlooking the ocean and was digging it. Me not so much.

The Cliff House is a great place to visit but the food there is really really not worth the money. You pay for the view, not the food.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Rah! posted:

I'm not trying to make the area sound bad at all, but the person is talking about being punched randomly, so I'm talking about sketchy stuff in the neighborhood (there's plenty of great stuff too).

Also, sorry to burst your bubble, but there's been more than 1 shooting near Ocean Ave in the past 2 1/2 years. There have been at least two this year so far(those were the ones in the news...most non-fatal shootings are never on the news). There was a shooting at the McDonalds on Ocean earlier this year, during a robbery. Police and suspects exchanged gunfire, and a lady was hit by a bullet that came throught the wall of her house. Also according to the lovely SFPD crimemaps, there's been one shooting within a couple blocks of Ocean in the past couple months, this one up in the North-East part, above Ocean, where all the big nice mansions are.

There are shootings probably every week down around Randolph though, and someone was actually shot there yesterday(it used to be much, much worse). 6 people were murdered in the area last year. I go to CCSF, and have a friend who lives at Bright and Randolph, and one of my introductions to the neighborhood a few years ago was a gun battle (not just a 3 second shooting) that killed two people nearby. I've always heard that in the early and mid 90's this was the most violent part of the city, even giving Hunters Point a run for it's money (the area around Randolph and Ocean View park. Lakeview, as people call it). That recent shooting on Ocean, where the boy was shot while waiting for the train, while a little brazen and relatively uncommon for that specific area, is not a fluke at all for the neighborhood.

Ocean Avenue and the area near CCSF is in general pretty fine, and way safer than lakeview, but calling Ocean the safest main drag outside of yuppie-ville is stretching it...Sure its pretty safe, but it's still the main commercial strip of a neighborhood with a good amount of drug and gang activity (albeit mainly in another part of the hood), so it's going to be a little more on the sketchy side at times...Plus, what yuppie-ville street has thugs cruising down it 24/7, and has had at least two shootings so far this year? The neighborhood as a whole is pretty safe for your average non-criminal resident (except for the lady who was shot in the back of the head and killed on Randolph while riding her bike to work in the morning last year, but poo poo happens. It's not very normal for random people to get killed like that). There is definitely sketchy stuff going on in the area. Again, I'm seriously not trying to overblow things...but this is just the truth. It is getting better year by year...

And drat, that was a long post.
You know, you're right, I'd forgotten about the McDonald's shooting and all of that. I know I was kind of going overboard when I called it one of the safest areas (all the main streets in the Richmond and Sunset probably would rank above Ocean, I imagine) but your point is well taken. I guess I get a little defensive since I've heard a lot of idiots describe even the areas north of Lakeview Ave. as ultra-ghetto, and I feel like it has an undeserved reputation as such. I don't even know why it bothers me when people say that, since where I am is not exactly my first choice of place to live. Oh well. And what the hell happened with that girl who was shot on her bike? Did they ever figure out what happened there?

You aren't the same guy who runs the SF Crime Blog by any chance, are you?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Original Gamer posted:

Maybe Rubicon, Gary Danko or Fleur de Lys, they're plenty swanky.

edit: check out Masa's and Acquerello as well

qirex fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 15, 2008

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Baby_Hippo posted:

The Cliff House is a great place to visit but the food there is really really not worth the money. You pay for the view, not the food.

Exactly what I was going to say. The Cliff House is incredibly romantic because the views of the sunset are unreal, but the food there is horribly overpriced and not that good. I went there last night for a celebration, my girlfriend had salmon that was pretty good and I had halibut that was completely mediocre. Including salad, drinks, dessert, and tip, the bill was $132.

Elise
Jun 28, 2004

by SA Support Robot
how about this heatwave guys

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Entransca posted:

I'm out in the East Bay, please kill me. :suicide:
At least my office building is well air conditioned.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Entransca posted:

I guess I should be thankful that the rubber seal at the bottom of my front door fell off and is letting in cold air from the air-conditioned hallways of my building.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I'm in San Rafael right now, and I think I'm going to die. It's about 400 degrees in the shade. As soon as I'm free of meetings, I'm escaping to Stinson.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

spiderpie posted:

I'm in San Rafael right now, and I think I'm going to die. It's about 400 degrees in the shade. As soon as I'm free of meetings, I'm escaping to Stinson.
I worked at Autodesk for a while and the walk from the bus pad to the office during the summer was like some sort of crazy firewalking ritual twice a day.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

qirex posted:

I worked at Autodesk for a while and the walk from the bus pad to the office during the summer was like some sort of crazy firewalking ritual twice a day.

Heh, I'm AT Autodesk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
I love the hot weather, bring it on!

• Locked thread