Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Finally put a mic to the Aramat Mojo Fuzz.

I'm having some difficulty with my mic preamp, it wants to clip at very reasonable volumes so I'm having to reduce the input volume drastically and then amplify that in my DAW, which of course runs me smack into the noise floor issue... But this'll give you a good idea how the Aramat Mojo Fuzz does its thing. No OD or anything else in this clip, just the Aramat Mojo Fuzz, my Dan-Echo, and my Marshall Reflector reverb into my THD Univalve. Guitar is my trusty Fender strat.

First, a clean clip of the amp and guitar as set up so you can get a basis for comparison:

Now for the two fuzzy clips. Playing won't blow you away, hopefully the responsiveness will? The pedal settings are unchanged throughout the entirety of both of these clips: volume a bit over noon (roughly unity gain), Fuzz maxed, and Mojo(bias) at a bit over noon. The only thing I'm doing differently is switching the guitar's pickup selector and reducing its volume. First, a straightforward demo of its ability to respond to volume and picking dynamics, and to get nasty when pushed.

This next clip is cheesy white dude blues. (Stormy Monday backing track in G courtesy of some dude in the Guitar Jams forum at HC)

I love this pedal. Now I'm looking into other fuzzes. I've got mad GAS for a Hoof Fuzz. Gotta get some of that Big Muff vibe :) Boutique in general isn't always a great idea, but if you don't let the marketing overcome your sensibilities, boutique fuzz and overdrive pedals are awesome in the control that many of them give you over the sound compared to the mass manufactured unit. Still prefer my Damage Control, Zoom, and Danelectro distortion units though. Though I am also fiending big time for a MI Audio Crunch Box - Guv'nor at its heart, with a lot going on around it. Sounds amazing.

Where am I going to get the money for all this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Agreed posted:

Fuzzy

Have you had a look at the MI Audio Neo Fuzz and GI Fuzz? The Neo is a Germanium and the GI Silicone, they have a very different feel to each other and if you're after flexibility you should really check them out. I'm hoping to get a Neo in the near future.

http://miaudio.com/NF1.htm

http://miaudio.com/GI1.htm

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Sandwich Maker posted:

The neck is just fantastic and the smaller size is way easier for me to play than the 3"-deep body of my Artcore. And if they put that headstock and those tuners on a moldy piece of driftwood strung up with rubber bands, I think I'd still buy it.
Those reissue Hagstroms are a real dark horse - you never really see or hear about them, but they're well made and have absolutely fantastic necks.

Not to mention a better case than most US brands. :monocle:

And dang it does feel nice to be able to post in this thread once again:

Peavey Classic 30; I wanted a 1x12 Vox AC30 but could never find one. This one came with JJ tubes, a Celestion V30 and the better-looking old cab style. I'm running it in stereo with the Ampeg - the C30's top-boost sounds great with the SJ-12T's wooden-boxy plunk.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

qball posted:

Have you had a look at the MI Audio Neo Fuzz and GI Fuzz? The Neo is a Germanium and the GI Silicone, they have a very different feel to each other and if you're after flexibility you should really check them out. I'm hoping to get a Neo in the near future.

http://miaudio.com/NF1.htm

http://miaudio.com/GI1.htm

I've got all the Germanium fuzz tones I could ask for. The GI1 looks really interesting though, I'll look into it.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
I'm getting an Agile double-bound AL-3100, and I'm not sure which pickup I should get to replace the bridge.

I need something that can handle drop tuned, high gain metal.

Seymour Duncans seem too overpriced, and I'm not very satisfied with the GFS Crunchy Rails humbucker I have.

Any suggestions?

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Uncle Caveman posted:

Those drums are jawesome. More pics please :v:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

mono posted:

Those drums are jawesome. More pics please :v:
Thanks. It's a Gretsch Catalina Club set I've had for a few years. Shells are 18x16 kick, 14x5 snare, 14x16 floor tom, 12x8 tom; hardware is Pearl Eliminator; Cymbals are a 20" Sabian Raw Ride & 13" XS hats. I could use a crash, eventually, and some better hats I suppose. There's also some rusty African cowbell thing in the center.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Uncle Caveman posted:

Peavey Classic 30; I wanted a 1x12 Vox AC30 but could never find one. This one came with JJ tubes, a Celestion V30 and the better-looking old cab style. I'm running it in stereo with the Ampeg - the C30's top-boost sounds great with the SJ-12T's wooden-boxy plunk.

The Classic 30 is such a great amp, and yours looks killer with the black grille like that. They must love archtops or something, because it really brings out the best in my Sheraton II.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Pirateparty posted:

Seymour Duncans seem too overpriced, and I'm not very satisfied with the GFS Crunchy Rails humbucker I have.

Any suggestions?

Not if you consider Seymour Duncans overpriced, since GFS pickups are pretty much "budget price." Maybe try to scrounge up a Bill Lawrence XL500 off eBay?

If you can expand your budget, I've heard nothing but amazing things about Seymour Duncan's new Alternative 8 pickup.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Juaguocio posted:

Nice! How old is that one?

Not sure. I'd guess mid-late 90s.

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

Uncle Caveman posted:

Thanks. It's a Gretsch Catalina Club set I've had for a few years. Shells are 18x16 kick, 14x5 snare, 14x16 floor tom, 12x8 tom; hardware is Pearl Eliminator; Cymbals are a 20" Sabian Raw Ride & 13" XS hats. I could use a crash, eventually, and some better hats I suppose. There's also some rusty African cowbell thing in the center.

It's so nice and clean (well, aside from the ride). my kit is a dirty mess

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

Korg MS2000R, bought for cheap from Justus in SA Mart. My first synth and by the sounds of things, it's really awesome. SA mart is a godsend for AUS musician/goons, I bought an awesome loop-station for $250 last month; the cheapest you could find it in Australia from a shop is around $600 :psyduck:

19charactersorless. fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 16, 2008

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Dr.Mosh posted:

It's so nice and clean (well, aside from the ride). my kit is a dirty mess
Of the two years I've had them, they'd (until recently) been in storage for one.

Also I don't play enough. :(

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

Uncle Caveman posted:

I want these. How hard is it to teach yourself the drums? Is that the Gretsch Catalina jazz set?

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster
Got my first acoustic the other day, an ancient Yamaha G-235. It's in great condition considering its age, and was only $30 at Goodwill.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

Got my first acoustic the other day, an ancient Yamaha G-235. It's in great condition considering its age, and was only $30 at Goodwill.

You should really trim the excess bit of string behind the bridge block just a bit so that they don't touch the top of the guitar. The vibrations can cause the strings to rattle against the top, causing noise and over time even causing slight damage to the guitar.

Good find, though. That's an awesome guitar for $30.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Welp. I got a new kit today, and had my first practice with it tonight. It sounds so amazing. Best purchase off of a craigslist I've ever made. (Also my 1st craigslist purchase, but :ssh: )

Ludwig 6 piece. Dw7000 hardware. Sabian B8 hats, Zildjian A Custom 14" crash, Zildjian 18" Rock Crash, Sabian Pro 20" ride, 18" zildjian scimitar china and a 10" a custom splash. Also came with full hardcases. All for 700, plus a road trip south to Orlando.

The brown spots on my mat aren't poop. I practice at my dad's carpet warehouse where I used to work. It's a piece of low quality carpet pad that has some dirt and rust from my old kit on it.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Built a pedalboard with wood, velcro, and duct tape.

That spot on top is reserved for a DD-20, and I'll (hopefully) be done with my pedalboard.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 18, 2008

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
I received some cool birthday presents.

Boss CS-2 Compression Sustainer

Got this one from my friends last night. I've never used a compressor before but it does some cool stuff. I've been playing with it a bit this morning but really need to spend some time with it to find the best sound.

Ulbrick Megalodon Clean Boost

My wife bought me this one and it's seriously my new favourite pedal. It's a really clean boost that you can dial just a hair of distortion into. No loss of bottom end (which I get with the Beano Boost and OD808) and it adds a nice bit of sparkle to everything.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

qball posted:

Wasn't Megalodon a Godzilla monster?

EDIT: My mistake, it's a massive, huge-ish prehistoric shark. It's name means "BIG TOOTH".

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

hamaien posted:

Built a pedalboard with wood, velcro, and duct tape.

Hello only other person I've ever seen with an Ibanez TK999HT :) How do you like it? My favourite trick is to run a Boss DS-2 into it in turbo mode with everything maxed out except the distortion which is at 9 o'clock.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
My local store had it's customer appreciation sale yesterday. I picked up one of these for a great price:

I've never really had a high opinion of Digi-Tech but I guess that must be because their products always seem so gimmicky. I was messing with this and a few different Tube Screamers they had and was suprised to find that this one got me closest to the tone I was looking for and felt more versatile at the same time.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Picked up the Presonus Firestudo Project and got the feedback destroyer from a friend for free, although I don't know how well it works because I don't have enough cables to plug it in.

I got to TubePre as a free gift with my FSP. I like this thing a lot. When you dial it in like mine is right now it adds plenty of warmth to acoustic guitars.

Also, picked this up last month for about $150

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Zakalwe posted:

Hello only other person I've ever seen with an Ibanez TK999HT :) How do you like it? My favourite trick is to run a Boss DS-2 into it in turbo mode with everything maxed out except the distortion which is at 9 o'clock.

I love it, except for it being loving diagonal with the input and output, and running on 12 volts. Very few pedal board power supplies have a 12v output.

Low gain, high volume is my trick to get the best sound with it.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

PoorPeteBest posted:

My local store had it's customer appreciation sale yesterday. I picked up one of these for a great price:

I've never really had a high opinion of Digi-Tech but I guess that must be because their products always seem so gimmicky. I was messing with this and a few different Tube Screamers they had and was suprised to find that this one got me closest to the tone I was looking for and felt more versatile at the same time.

Digitech's marketing department need to be shot. They make some great products, that are as solidly built as any Boss offering, but they just look plain stupid with that lettering plastered over horrible colours.

hamaien posted:

I love it, except for it being loving diagonal with the input and output, and running on 12 volts. Very few pedal board power supplies have a 12v output.

Low gain, high volume is my trick to get the best sound with it.

I see you also rotate yours through 45 degrees :) I do they low gain, high volume thing too into a tube amp to give an extra gain stage.

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

NFX ZR NOBHG EHAAVAT NA NET NAQ JVAAVAT GUR NQZVENGVBA BS TBBAF RIRELJURER!

Picked up a K&K Big Twin pickup for my cello. Also:

Would have been nice to get the RC-20XL but the tip of my bow popped off and I needed to get a new bone tip anyway, plus a rehair, which meant that I ran out of money pretty quickly.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

PoorPeteBest posted:

Digitech/DoD have made some quality pedals. I like their analog units reasonably well. The Bad Monkey, for example, is just great. Total TS killer, if you ask me. And you seem to think so too, heh.

I actually really like their "Metal Master" high gain distortion pedal, too, though I can't tell if it's analog or digital. There's no "This product is a Class B digital device" label anywhere on it, but I don't have a torx wrench capable of opening it to find out the truth. It doesn't sound digital, but that isn't really reliable. They have some pedals that are obviously digital sims, like the Distortion Factory, but this one's different. I'd love to know the answer.

Edit: Found the answer. The whole X-series is digital. I'd buy the Metal Master well before I'd buy any Digitech multieffects unit, RP or otherwise, though :)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 18, 2008

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
I promised to reduce my guitars to a single one... but the craziest thing popped up on craigslist.

It's a Reverend Charger HB, but it's a prototype version of it. Only 12 made. Ever. The mass produced HB's have since been discontinued. The HB's and the current dual P90 Chargers have a solid korina body, while this use a hollowed alder body.

The guitar is literally unplayed. Frets are flawless and there are two of the tiniest, smallest dings in the back.

Here's the kicker, though... It was not only grossly underpriced by almost half its worth, but it has Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers installed in it. AND He also gave me the original Rev pickups (which I'll install because the bass contour knob doesn't work without them) AS WELL AS a set of Schaller PAFs. Once I sell the Seth Lovers and the Schallers, that pretty much covers two thirds of the price I paid...

Susano-maku da! fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 18, 2008

Tome
Mar 2, 2007

Seeing as this is the most appropriate thread for this, Jonny Greenwood uses some sort of Roland drum pad/loop thing when he performs 15 step, I was wondering what the board is that he uses, and how much it would cost.

Live performance here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e59Z949Pq4

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Susano-maku da! posted:

That is WAY too cool and sounds like an incredible deal. The world needs more orange guitars.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Ben and Stew posted:

Also, picked this up last month for about $150

You rear end! I just picked up Logic Express for $200. :(

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

FlossMan posted:

Gotta love the academic discount. I did the same in January. Best $150 I've spent on gear.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

FlossMan posted:

Yours is probably not an educational version :v:

Tome posted:

Seeing as this is the most appropriate thread for this, Jonny Greenwood uses some sort of Roland drum pad/loop thing when he performs 15 step, I was wondering what the board is that he uses, and how much it would cost.

I think it's http://www.roland.com/products/en/SP-303/index.html, otherwise http://www.roland.com/products/en/SP-404/index.html.

Both are simple samplers, for the 303 you have to check eBay as it's no longer available new, and the SP-404 is listed here for $395.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 9, 2020

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

mit_senf posted:

Where do you get that much of an academic discount? The apple store for education has it priced at $450.

University computer store.

Tome
Mar 2, 2007

Yoozer posted:

I think it's http://www.roland.com/products/en/SP-303/index.html, otherwise http://www.roland.com/products/en/SP-404/index.html.

Both are simple samplers, for the 303 you have to check eBay as it's no longer available new, and the SP-404 is listed here for $395.

Hmm, those are good, but I'm looking for a pedal setup thing so that I can manipulate it whilst playing guitar. I saw a band a while ago that had a load of voice samples on one of those boards that they activated whilst performing the song.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Then you're getting into looper pedal territory, or you control the samples with something like http://www.roland.com/PRODUCTS/en/FC-200/index.html (which is also visible in the Youtube video you linked).

Tome
Mar 2, 2007

Yoozer posted:

Then you're getting into looper pedal territory, or you control the samples with something like http://www.roland.com/PRODUCTS/en/FC-200/index.html (which is also visible in the Youtube video you linked).

Yep, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for helping, I'm going to have a scout about for something like that that isn't so pricy.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
If you want a cheaper controller, Behringer make one that's like half the price of the Roland (http://www.behringer.com/FCB1010/index.cfm?lang=ENG).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.
Well, I got my stimulus check, and after squirreling away some into savings, I went and bought my pretty ol' self a Line 6 Pod X3. Let me tell you, this thing is wonderful. I've spent the past hour or so messing with the random sample+hold effect and getting my Ship Ahoy on. I know that it was available in a model pack before, though.

Honestly, the dual tone feature is pretty neat, but I'm still tweaking to make it sound right for me, and the Gear Box app, while useful, makes my eyes bleed and has the shittiest interface I've seen in a while. Too drat hard to use.