Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Agreed posted:

Digitech/DoD have made some quality pedals. I like their analog units reasonably well. The Bad Monkey, for example, is just great. Total TS killer, if you ask me. And you seem to think so too, heh.

I actually really like their "Metal Master" high gain distortion pedal, too, though I can't tell if it's analog or digital. There's no "This product is a Class B digital device" label anywhere on it, but I don't have a torx wrench capable of opening it to find out the truth. It doesn't sound digital, but that isn't really reliable. They have some pedals that are obviously digital sims, like the Distortion Factory, but this one's different. I'd love to know the answer.

Edit: Found the answer. The whole X-series is digital. I'd buy the Metal Master well before I'd buy any Digitech multieffects unit, RP or otherwise, though :)

I use a Metal Master as my main distortion and I absolutely love it, despite it being a digital pedal. I'm usually a real human being when it comes to analog vs. digital, but this thing is really amazing for a lot of different heavier distortions.

EDIT: Do you put your wah before or after your distortion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Engine Fortegue posted:

From what I understand a wah usually works best before any other pedals. Correct me if I'm wrong, ML.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

mono posted:

From what I understand a wah usually works best before any other pedals. Correct me if I'm wrong, ML.

I've usually put the wah last in my chain, but I put my delay in the effects loop of my amp, so I guess the wah isn't "last." However, I've found OD -> Wah has a better sound (to my ears) than Wah -> OD.

AE
Jul 7, 2006

by Shine
The wah needs to go between your guitar and amp input.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

AE posted:

The wah needs to go between your guitar and amp input.

I usually put mine in the corner of my bathroom. Sometimes I plug it into the sink.

To think, I've been doing it wrong all these years.

Lord Julius III
Jan 1, 2007

A gentleman amongst savages
http://www.rondomusic.com/web846fl.html

I'm about to buy one of these. I've been playing a four string for a few years, and this is so cheap that I thought I'd get it as a summer project.

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

Lord Julius III posted:

http://www.rondomusic.com/web846fl.html

I'm about to buy one of these. I've been playing a four string for a few years, and this is so cheap that I thought I'd get it as a summer project.

I don't get how he can sell the stuff so cheap and still have an acceptable quality.
With a pickup swap that bass would probably be pretty good.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

mono posted:

People will put it before or after their dist/od depending on if they want a wah'd fuzz or a fuzz'd wah. After a few minutes of playing both ways, you'll see the difference... it's not subtle. Most people stick it first, but you should always be experimenting.

I reckon someone could fashion up a "before/after" box with a few bits from pedal parts plus if they had a need to switch modes on the fly. May be an interesting project.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

bisticles posted:

People will put it before or after their dist/od depending on if they want a wah'd fuzz or a fuzz'd wah. After a few minutes of playing both ways, you'll see the difference... it's not subtle. Most people stick it first, but you should always be experimenting.

I reckon someone could fashion up a "before/after" box with a few bits from pedal parts plus if they had a need to switch modes on the fly. May be an interesting project.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalHacker/OrderSwitcher.htm

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Well would you look at that. I'd imagine a 4pdt would require a pretty solid stomp to engage the switch.

One of these days I'll get around to building my "everything box"; a looper/tuner out/ tap tempo doodad.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 19, 2008

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Dr.Mosh posted:

I don't get how he can sell the stuff so cheap and still have an acceptable quality.

It's a combination of cheap overseas labor, cheap overseas materials/hardware, bulk purchasing, and lack of licensing fees that do it. Pretty much the only thing is that the factory that produces Brice, Agile, SX, etc is a huge factory that makes guitars for other brands (sometimes you'll buy a certain brand, but it won't be that certain brand, it will be an SX or an Agile with that other brand's name on it and probably a modified headstock shape), and they have fantastic quality control. It's probably among the best large-scale instrument factories over-seas.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I just picked myself up a brand new (used) Epiphone Dot!

I've always wanted a hollow-body guitar and I've always thought these were the best ones in the budget range so I decided to treat myself to something nice.

Generic CAW
Aug 11, 2007

BLANDTASTIC!
I bought this Friday:

http://akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,254,pid,254,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

I'm quite happy with them.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

mono posted:

Some pedals just plain don't work with wahs. Many fuzzes are like this.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Engine Fortegue posted:

I use a Metal Master as my main distortion and I absolutely love it, despite it being a digital pedal. I'm usually a real human being when it comes to analog vs. digital, but this thing is really amazing for a lot of different heavier distortions.

Wah goes before everything in my signal chain. Not because it has to (though non-buffered wahs tend to like being up front better than being after a bunch of pedals due to the impedance relationship affecting the tone, I use only buffered wahs), but because that's just how wah sounds the best in my various setups. I also like a wah that does a lot to the signal - it has to be a very present wah sound or no thanks :) My current pair of wahs works really well up front, lots of cut and bite and snarl and growl: Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah and Ibanez Weeping Demon wah.

Oh, the Metal Master is genuinely one of the better high gain pedals I've used, analog or digital. I'm seriously considering getting one to use. It doesn't sound like anything that it's modeling, it just has its own cool high-gain sound. Digitech's digital units usually sound ultra-compressed and overdone, but a high gain sound doesn't really suffer from those attributes so much as benefit from them. It's funny, they have clips of all their pedals on their web site, and if you listen to the Death Metal's clips versus the Metal Master's "emulation" of the Death Metal, the Metal Master's version sounds so much heavier and clearer it's amazing.

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

It's a combination of cheap overseas labor, cheap overseas materials/hardware, bulk purchasing, and lack of licensing fees that do it. Pretty much the only thing is that the factory that produces Brice, Agile, SX, etc is a huge factory that makes guitars for other brands (sometimes you'll buy a certain brand, but it won't be that certain brand, it will be an SX or an Agile with that other brand's name on it and probably a modified headstock shape), and they have fantastic quality control. It's probably among the best large-scale instrument factories over-seas.

Agile and Brice are made in a Korean factory (which very well make other guitars, I know Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson, and Fender all have Korean instruments which are generally very high quality for the price as well). SX, Douglas, etc. are made in China and suck.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 20, 2008

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

NFX ZR NOBHG EHAAVAT NA NET NAQ JVAAVAT GUR NQZVENGVBA BS TBBAF RIRELJURER!
Apparently my bow wasn't worth the repair job, so I put $380 down on one of these:

It sounds real purdy.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

bonne chance posted:

Apparently my bow wasn't worth the repair job, so I put $380 down on one of these:

It sounds real purdy.

Are bows really that expensive? I was considering trying to find a cello to learn to play but holy poo poo.

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

West Ham Sandwich posted:

Are bows really that expensive? I was considering trying to find a cello to learn to play but holy poo poo.

I've been playing for 11 years and done all of my exams except tertiary qualifications so I can reasonably expect to pay about that much for a bow, if not more. According to my violin maker (who also makes cellos...), the wood equivalent of the bow I just bought runs to around $1000. The site I grabbed the pic off divided the bows by price and skill level like this:

Beginners (up to grade five) 0 up to $200
Intermediate (up to grade eight) $200 up to $500
Advanced (past grade eight) over $500

I honestly can't remember how much my parents paid for my first 4/4 bow back when I was 13 or 14 but it was probably around $170, because it was wood, crafted by my violin maker's workshop, and I'd already been playing a good four years. I get the impression these days that carbon fibre bows make a consistently good sound for cheaper than their wood equivalents. You could probably pick up a reliable student carbon fibre for about $80.

It depends on how you plan to buy your instrument though. I'm not sure what it's like in the US but I assume it's fairly similar to here. You can go to a proper string instrument shop where they will probably have a range of beginner's instruments from China or Korea, or ones with the body sourced from China or Korea and then built locally with a violin maker's bridge and fingerboard etc. These will usually come with better strings and you will get to try them out and pick out your own bow according to price. Or, you can pick up crappy cellos from eBay for $200 and they usually come with the whole package, strings, bow and case, but they will sound like rear end. If you wanted to err on the cheap side I would go a price bracket up (from $200 to $500-900) and put some better strings on it, invariably beginners' strings are awful and will discourage you. See if you can't find an instrument in the classifieds that might be a bit less lovely than the stuff they're throwing away on eBay.

If you want something to really blow your mind though, my cello teacher's bow is worth $16,000.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

They can get pricey, yeah. Just like any accessory for any instrument. Like, for guitar picks, you can either use a 15 cent dunlop or a $35 Blue Chip made to replace tortoiseshell picks.

Really nice bows are precision instruments in themselves and they can be loving fancy.

That's a really nice bow, bonne chance. I hate to stray off topic like this, but I'm curious; Is there any stigma within the classical music world with using a graphite bow? I know in classical guitar, there are many stigmas with "non-traditional" materials and methods (non-Torres guitars guitar frowned upon very often, etc).

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Agreed posted:

I use only buffered wahs

That right there, is the key point.

Dunlop Crybabys/Vox847's (and other similar wahs), due to their patented "half-arsed" bypass switching only have an input buffer to stop tone sucking, but really need an output buffer as well.
The output jack is switched between the input jack (bypassed), and the one terminal of the 100k pot (wah on) in the pedal. Depending on the pedal's position, this can load down the inputs of other pedals or the amp.

So, with a fully buffered wah with input and output buffers, the place to put it is where ever it sounds best. With an un-buffered wah it's more a matter of wherever it mucks things up the least.

EDIT:
VVV As for Morley wahs, from the schematics I've seen, in most cases (the op-amp based ones) they have a high input impedance + low output impedance (good), so they shouldn't suffer from this as badly.
I haven't had a good play with a morley wah to find out though, the way they sound just doesn't do anything for me.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 20, 2008

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Chalupa Joe posted:

unbuffered wahs

Do Morleys suffer from this problem at all?

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

bonne chance posted:

I've been playing for 11 years and done all of my exams except tertiary qualifications so I can reasonably expect to pay about that much for a bow, if not more. According to my violin maker (who also makes cellos...), the wood equivalent of the bow I just bought runs to around $1000. The site I grabbed the pic off divided the bows by price and skill level like this:

Beginners (up to grade five) 0 up to $200
Intermediate (up to grade eight) $200 up to $500
Advanced (past grade eight) over $500

I honestly can't remember how much my parents paid for my first 4/4 bow back when I was 13 or 14 but it was probably around $170, because it was wood, crafted by my violin maker's workshop, and I'd already been playing a good four years. I get the impression these days that carbon fibre bows make a consistently good sound for cheaper than their wood equivalents. You could probably pick up a reliable student carbon fibre for about $80.

It depends on how you plan to buy your instrument though. I'm not sure what it's like in the US but I assume it's fairly similar to here. You can go to a proper string instrument shop where they will probably have a range of beginner's instruments from China or Korea, or ones with the body sourced from China or Korea and then built locally with a violin maker's bridge and fingerboard etc. These will usually come with better strings and you will get to try them out and pick out your own bow according to price. Or, you can pick up crappy cellos from eBay for $200 and they usually come with the whole package, strings, bow and case, but they will sound like rear end. If you wanted to err on the cheap side I would go a price bracket up (from $200 to $500-900) and put some better strings on it, invariably beginners' strings are awful and will discourage you. See if you can't find an instrument in the classifieds that might be a bit less lovely than the stuff they're throwing away on eBay.

If you want something to really blow your mind though, my cello teacher's bow is worth $16,000.

Ugh. I'll stick to bass and drums for now. :smith:

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

That's a really nice bow, bonne chance. I hate to stray off topic like this, but I'm curious; Is there any stigma within the classical music world with using a graphite bow? I know in classical guitar, there are many stigmas with "non-traditional" materials and methods (non-Torres guitars guitar frowned upon very often, etc).

There is, to some extent, a stigma attached to the use of a carbon fibre bow in some circumstances. I think it's probably widely accepted that yes, for a student of music it's probably much wiser for them to fork out a certain amount of money for a great carbon fibre bow than to spend the same amount on a mediocre Pernambuco (Brazilwood) bow. They feel really good, they sound fantastic, they're durable and don't have as many problems with temperature, humidity, etc. However, a lot of people find that the carbon fibre bows lack the nuances of a well-crafted handmade Pernambuco, like tone colour, frequency response and 'handling'. They're great for beginning to advanced students but once you start playing in a more professional setting it would probably benefit you to buy a well made Pernambuco bow instead. As the cost of the two goes up, the differences between the two types seem to be more pronounced.

Ugh. I'll stick to bass and drums for now. :smith:

I definitely don't want to discourage you in any way from playing the cello! It's a super instrument. A lot of music stores/schools will hire instruments out to students, that way if you don't like your taste of the cello you're not saddled with that big cost. If I were to start playing all over again as an adult, I would definitely rent until I was certain I wanted to continue, that way I'd have the know-how to at least test drive an instrument without making a big buy and regretting it later :)

bonne chance fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 20, 2008

Enaku
Mar 17, 2008

I like that it's a little jerky

Inside Outside posted:

I just picked myself up a brand new (used) Epiphone Dot!

I've always wanted a hollow-body guitar and I've always thought these were the best ones in the budget range so I decided to treat myself to something nice.

I've been looking into picking myself up one of these. How are you finding it, and how much did you pay?

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

bonne chance posted:

I definitely don't want to discourage you in any way from playing the cello! It's a super instrument. A lot of music stores/schools will hire instruments out to students, that way if you don't like your taste of the cello you're not saddled with that big cost. If I were to start playing all over again as an adult, I would definitely rent until I was certain I wanted to continue, that way I'd have the know-how to at least test drive an instrument without making a big buy and regretting it later :)

I've been really interested in the cello since I figure it'd most be like the style of bass I play, but I haven't got a single bit of money since any extra money i had recently went to my new ludwig kit. But in any case I don't think any price tag will stop me from WANTING to play it, maybe I'll try to find a music store that rents a cello.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Enaku posted:

I've been looking into picking myself up one of these. How are you finding it, and how much did you pay?

I'm really enjoying it. I paid $325 for it and so far I don't really have any complaints about it other than it's surprisingly heavy compared to my Les Paul. It's got a pretty slim neck that's easy to play and it sounds a lot better than you'd expect for the money.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Chalupa Joe posted:

That right there, is the key point.
*Wah Buffer Info

Thanks for this info, I was playing around with my crybaby and wasabi OD yesterday, and the wah sounded better before the OD when it was on, but completely killed the tone when it was off, and when the wah was after the OD the clean tone was good, but the wah sucked.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Whoops, forgot to post this here.

Yeah, I know I just got the Jazzmaster about a week ago but in my defense this wasn't supposed to be done yet anyway. I was told 2 months, it took 3 weeks.

G&L Legacy, honeyburst over ash with gun-oil tint over birdseye for the neck. Cream pickguard and plastic, locking tuners.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah, I know I just got the Jazzmaster about a week ago but in my defense this wasn't supposed to be done yet anyway. I was told 2 months, it took 3 weeks.

G&L Legacy, honeyburst over ash with gun-oil tint over birdseye for the neck. Cream pickguard and plastic, locking tuners.

That is gorgeous. You have 2 beautiful guitars. Prick.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

the wizards beard posted:

That is gorgeous. You have 2 beautiful guitars. Prick.
Thanks, man. I don't know if your number's quite accurate, though.

The lighting and balance of this photo is awful.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 21, 2008

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

Carbohydrates posted:

Are you by any chance a member of sonic youth?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Carbohydrates posted:

You sir, have an addiction.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

Purty geetars

That there is evidence of a severe case of GAS if I have ever seen it. Not that it's a bad thing. Your new G&L makes my pants all tight. You have exquisite taste. Keep it up- just try not to get bit by the boutique amplifier bug. It gets really out of hand fast.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Carbohydrates posted:

Is that a Taylor 310? I was gonna get one of those, but I opted for a Breedlove and an X3Live instead - no regrets, but I still have feelings for the Taylor...

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Not really exciting for anyone but me, but I got some Mogami cables (courtesy of Lava Cables) connecting all my poo poo now.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

JohnnySmitch posted:

Is that a Taylor 310? I was gonna get one of those, but I opted for a Breedlove and an X3Live instead - no regrets, but I still have feelings for the Taylor...
410ce. Only difference between a 300 and a 400 is the wood- ovangkol or something like that on the 400s. The Taylor was my first "expensive" guitar. I went in with my hard-earned cash expecting to walk out with a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe, but I played through all of the guitars I'd come to like - a Breedlove was actually one of them - and the Taylor won hands-down. The Breedlove was nice, just a bit thinner sounding with less projection, and the Gibson was a total dog, honestly. I've since played Songwriters that sounded much better than the one in the store that day, but the only acoustic I've played that I like more than my 410 was another more expensive Taylor.

Ovangkol back:

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

Carbohydrates posted:

I think I just fell in love.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Carbohydrates posted:

Wow, that's just gorgeous. I'm sure I'll end up laying down the money for one someday. Until then, I'm going to do illicit things while looking at pictures of yours.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Jesus that G&L... only guitar I've seen that's prettier is the aluminum top USA Reverends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Carbohydrates posted:

drat son, nice. I'm still looking for someone whose had experience with the S-500 Semi-Hollow :)