Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Your Japanese Dad posted:

You can still use the nv driver but it still doesn't give you the same acceleration that the nvidia driver does. It just will take a little patience.

Yea the nv driver is free software(MIT license?) so it will work on most releases, I was referring to the nvidia binary driver as you mentioned.

Also to all macbook users a few other people and myself have been playing around with Two Finger Click Transformation patches for xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, they provide the 'Place two fingers on trackpad and click button for right click' configuration some of us like on OS X.

Links:
0.14.6 (fedora, gutsy):http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=626112&highlight=two+finger
0.14.7 (Hardy, etc): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=790589

tehk fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

tehk posted:

Yea the nv driver is free software(MIT license?) so it will work on most releases, I was referring to the nvidia binary driver as you mentioned.

Right. The binary driver still doesn't work but it should soon from what I've been reading.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
When I was running the newest Ubuntu release I was having some stability issues. Random lockups where the whole system would freeze hard, and of course my logs never showed anything. However I've moved to Fedora 9 and have not had any of the problems. I really like how Ubuntu worked, and I'm sure I could just go back to 7.10, but I've gotten to the point to where it's all the same to me at this point.

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

deong posted:

Has anyone tried out Flash10 beta yet?
It seems to have just come out yesterday, wired did a write up of it here. I've installed it at home, but have not had a chance to see if it stops crashing so much.

From the article:

Adobe's Tom Barclay posted:

"Adobe is not currently providing a 64-bit version of Flash Player 10. We will evaluate that requirement, which has been requested before, for inclusion in possible future releases based on customer demand."

loving damnit. Still no 64-Bit support under Linux. Still no PowerPC Linux support either! :(

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

On the bright side, I haven't had problems with nspluginwrapper and 32-bit Flash 9 under 64-bit Firefox in a good while. I'm wary to give Flash 10 a spin just yet though.

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

Crusader posted:

On the bright side, I haven't had problems with nspluginwrapper and 32-bit Flash 9 under 64-bit Firefox in a good while. I'm wary to give Flash 10 a spin just yet though.

I had a bit of grief trying to get nspluginwrapper working, but I'm having no problems running 32-bit Firefox + 32-bit plugins. (Running under 64-bit Debian Etch with lib32 compatibility stuff installed.)

I might have a look to see how Gnash is coming along tonight.

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!
So should I wait to upgrade to Fedora 9 since I use an nvidia card with dual monitors using twinview?

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad
I need to start learning about how to use Linux and Oracle. I have a copy of Oracle Unbreakable Linux, which I think is a Red Hat distro of some kind. I know absolutely jack about Linux and Oracle, and I have about a month to gain a basic working understanding of both.

Does anyone have some good resources for beginners they could point me too? I need to start learning and learning fast. Any help would be appreciated.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
What would be the best way to install Linux, WinXP AND Windows Vista on a computer?

I'd like to have a nice bootmanager that lets me choose what I want to boot.

I know I should have three partitions and probably a FAT partition to swap files between them.

What's the best order to install them? What's the best bootmanager? Is there a different thread I should have posted in? Am I a human being?

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
This is more of an apache question, but it's not worth starting a thread over, so I'll try here:

Is there any way to allow/deny access based on the forward lookup of a hostname?

I have an automatically updated dyndns hostname on my home machine. I'd like to restrict a page on my remote web server to just my home machine. However, my IP changes whenever there's a power outage, so IP-based authorization is annoying. Using my dyndns name doesn't work, because the reverse lookup on my IP is whatever my ISP chooses (e.g. "blah-023-49-170-226.rr.com"), not my dyndns name. The comparison apache does is:

code:
forward_lookup(reverse_lookup(remote_ip)) == remote_ip && reverse_lookup(remote_ip) == given_host
I understand the need for this to prevent people from making arbitrary reverse lookups, but this isn't a high security situation, and I'd rather have:

code:
forward_lookup(given_host) == remote_ip
Is there any way to get this behavior in apache (not PHP, etc.)?

Waffle Zone
Mar 17, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Crosspost from the hardy thread

quote:

I just installed Hardy and I'm not getting sound on an Abit NForce 4 board. The sound chipset is ALC850. I've never had problems with sound in ubuntu when I checked it out a few times. It's really frustrating because Hardy was the first release that I felt I could use on a daily basis and live with until I tried listening to music and realized my sound didn't work.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

unleash the unicorn posted:

What would be the best way to install Linux, WinXP AND Windows Vista on a computer?

I'd like to have a nice bootmanager that lets me choose what I want to boot.

I know I should have three partitions and probably a FAT partition to swap files between them.

What's the best order to install them? What's the best bootmanager? Is there a different thread I should have posted in? Am I a human being?

If you don't need super performance from all the OS's (ie. you just plan to use them to test cross-platform programs or web pages), install the one you'll use most of the time normally and then run the others under VMware.

A FAT partition isn't really necessary anymore - Linux can write to NTFS now. (I don't know if Vista has a new and incompatible version of NTFS or anything, so you might have to go through the XP filesystem to transfer files - all 3 OS's should be able to read and write from that.)

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
Yeah I considered the VMware thing but my PC isn't the fastest. It wouldn't work out so well I think, especially since I've been using Vista for a while and only want XP for some older games and stuff that don't run well or at all in Vista. (they exist)

Is the NTFS support in Linux stable now? Last I heard they still recommended "read-only".

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

unleash the unicorn posted:

Yeah I considered the VMware thing but my PC isn't the fastest. It wouldn't work out so well I think, especially since I've been using Vista for a while and only want XP for some older games and stuff that don't run well or at all in Vista. (they exist)

Is the NTFS support in Linux stable now? Last I heard they still recommended "read-only".

If your cpu supports it, you may want to try out xen. It's difficult to get working properly but its much faster than vmware and nvidia has released xen compatible drivers, so you'll be able to play 3d accelerated games.

NTFS support has been stable for a while now. NTFS drives are automatically mounted now.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

no sorry, no hardware vr here... :(

So, does anyone know any good tutorials or guidelines for this?

massive girlboner
May 9, 2003

It will probably go smoothest if Vista is installed first, and Linux last. If you're going to install Ubuntu, it should automatically detect your windows installations and add them to the boot menu. Vista likes to throw a fit when other OS's mess with the partition table, but booting from the Vista DVD and running a startup repair ought to fix it.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

So is xen pretty awesome? I'm just using virtualbox right now because it was simple, but it's slower than the vmware trial I did. Is the accelerated 3D support reasonably fast? I like having compiz, but don't play any intensive games. Which direction do you see the virtualization world going for desktop/workstation users?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

sund posted:

So is xen pretty awesome? I'm just using virtualbox right now because it was simple, but it's slower than the vmware trial I did. Is the accelerated 3D support reasonably fast? I like having compiz, but don't play any intensive games. Which direction do you see the virtualization world going for desktop/workstation users?

I don't follow these things too closely, but KVM seems to have the momentum.

Purple Haze PS3
Jul 21, 2007
I want to set up ubuntu so that my root file system is encrypted and only the initrd and the kernel are on a separate, unencrypted partition. There doesn't appear to be much documentation on this and if anyone could point me to a tutorial that would be great.

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
I've decided to reformat my XP computer and install Ubuntu for good. I'm going to use Wine to get games/programs going, but I don't foresee any big changes.

I want to make this install as good as I can make it, so I ask you: What should I make sure I do in installing Ubuntu? I know I have to partition stuff, but I'm not sure what. Any guidance is welcomed.

Purple Haze PS3
Jul 21, 2007

Sparta posted:

I've decided to reformat my XP computer and install Ubuntu for good. I'm going to use Wine to get games/programs going, but I don't foresee any big changes.

I want to make this install as good as I can make it, so I ask you: What should I make sure I do in installing Ubuntu? I know I have to partition stuff, but I'm not sure what. Any guidance is welcomed.

the install process is all guided. it is easier than setting up xp.

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

covener posted:

I don't follow these things too closely, but KVM seems to have the momentum.

Seconding this. KVM, KVM, KVM is the way to go. Unfortunately, it's not very mature yet, so xen still bests it in performance and stability. It also lacks the 3d acceleration support that xen has. It will probably overtake xen relatively soon, though.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

pockets posted:

It will probably go smoothest if Vista is installed first, and Linux last. If you're going to install Ubuntu, it should automatically detect your windows installations and add them to the boot menu. Vista likes to throw a fit when other OS's mess with the partition table, but booting from the Vista DVD and running a startup repair ought to fix it.

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl some time

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
I'm installing Ubuntu 8.04 (and nothing but) on my file server. It was running Windows, but the boot disk took a shiz, and I figured what better way to force myself to learn some Linux than to make it the center of my home network.

Here's my funky config:
ASUS M2N-E motherboard
160GB drive on SATA1
4x250GB drives on SATA2-5 (RAID5)

I set up my partitions like this (I confirmed I was editing the 160GB disk before blowing anything else away):

/dev/hda1 - 100MB boot (ext3)
/dev/hda2 - 1.5GB (swap)
/dev/hda3 - 50% remainder (reiserfs) mounted as /
/dev/hda4 - 50% remainder (reiserfs) mounted as /home

Install goes through OK, but next reboot, I get:

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 21

No GRUB menu, no 'press a key', no control is returned to me.

/boot/grub/menu.lst looks OK. I reinstalled without my funky partition scheme (single, flat partition) same result. I also went into the "Advanced" button just before the installation begins copying files and selected /dev/hda1 as the device to install the boot loader too instead of letting Ubuntu figure it out. No change.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: To further complicate things, if I boot from the CD, then choose "Boot from first hard disk", I get:

GRUB Loading stage 1.5

Error 15

CUNT AND PASTE fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 17, 2008

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
Can someone explain the utility of virtual desktops to me? Almost all flavors of Linux seem to have them, but I don't understand why I'd want to use more than one. That's what window controls are for, isn't it?

Purple Haze PS3
Jul 21, 2007

The Remote Viewer posted:

Can someone explain the utility of virtual desktops to me? Almost all flavors of Linux seem to have them, but I don't understand why I'd want to use more than one. That's what window controls are for, isn't it?

I use them all the time. Its handy when you have about twenty windows open at the same time and one monitor.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Sometimes I use it to break down applications by category/task. Say I keep all communication apps on Desktop #1 (IRC, IM, mail), Work stuff goes on #2, WWW on #3, and occasionally #4 for multimedia, games etc. I have Win+[1|2|3|4] set up as hotkeys to switch to specific desktops so it's really quick to jump around tasks without too much window juggling.

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 18, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

I have 5 virtual desktops open at all times.

^
1: General stuff
2: twin firefox windows(grid)
3: full screen banshee
4: a grid of 8 terminals and dual buffer emacs(xft/gtk) window.
5: anjuta/wing/eclipse IDE
v

I use Super-Left/Right to navigate or super-number for direct switching. I use it mostly to avoid clutter and keep focus and I frankly could not live without it. I also have two monitors but one has IRC(4 channel grid)/SIPswitch open on it 24/7

tehk fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 18, 2008

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

I have 10, with Super-[0-9] jumping to each and Super-{Left,Right} going back and forth. Using the scroll weel on the taskbar or desktop also switches.

My general layout is
0 : Amarok
1 : Firefox
2 : irssi
3 : pidgin
4 : videos/random
5 : uTorrent
6-9: random stuff

In addition, 0-5 might have a few extra terminals open (urxvtc) .

I'm stuck with one 1024x768 monitor right now, so without this things would be rather painful.

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 18, 2008

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

Gleng posted:

I might have a look to see how Gnash is coming along tonight.

Quoting myself, but I upgraded my Debian Etch install to Unstable just now, and installed Gnash 0.8.2. It works! Native, 64-bit YouTube support! :)

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Why do macs suck so much?

I have been doing this to burn udf dvds for a long time (in linux) and it has never been a problem:

growisofs -speed=16 -Z /dev/dvd -udf -allow-limited-size -V "SUPER UDF DVD" -f -R -J /dir/with/files

Since upgrading to the latest and greatest version of OS X, these discs are no longer readable on my macs. They mount the disc and can read the disc title but the file system always appears empty. The discs work fine under linux.

So how do I burn a udf disc that OS X can read?

And don't get me started on every macs inability to read dvdr dual-layer discs!

Purple Haze PS3
Jul 21, 2007

Gumball Dad posted:

I need to start learning about how to use Linux and Oracle. I have a copy of Oracle Unbreakable Linux, which I think is a Red Hat distro of some kind. I know absolutely jack about Linux and Oracle, and I have about a month to gain a basic working understanding of both.

Does anyone have some good resources for beginners they could point me too? I need to start learning and learning fast. Any help would be appreciated.

For starters you might want to read through the documentation that comes with whatever distribution you will be using. I have never used Oracle Unbreakable Linux but a lot of distributions, especially ones like Ubuntu which are made to be accessible to the average desktop user have manuals that are pretty easy to follow.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sparta posted:

If you haven't yet, make sure you put you make a separate partition for /home. That way when you want to change distros or upgrade, you can just nuke the root partition and keep all your data in your /home safe. It's a breeze to change or upgrade after you do this.

The Ubuntu installer doesn't do it for you, you have to do it yourself, but it's pretty easy. I would set aside around 15 gigs for your root partition, the usual for swap, and then let the rest go to /home.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

amerrykan posted:

Install goes through OK, but next reboot, I get:

Error 21

No GRUB menu, no 'press a key', no control is returned to me.
Just wanted to say I sorted it out. In the BIOS, I had all the drives set correctly, but there was another tab where I could set the order of drives, of course, the RAID array was first. I'm not sure why it mattered, I would have thought Ubiquity would enumerate the drives in the order the GRUB would see them after the reboot..

Now to get Linux to recognize my RAID array.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Can anyone recommend a distro that still only supports python2.4 but has sqlalchemy0.4 in its repositories? I need to test an python module that uses sqlalchemy 0.4 and pysqlite(sqlite2). I know it works perfectly with python2.5 and its included sqlite3 bindings

edit: VV thanks the python2.4-sqalchemy package should work

tehk fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 19, 2008

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

tehk posted:

Can anyone recommend a distro that still only supports python2.4 but has sqlalchemy0.4 in its repositories? I need to test an python module that uses sqlalchemy 0.4 and pysqlite(sqlite2). I know it works perfectly with python2.5 and its included sqlite3 bindings

It's not hard to install an older version of python from source if you need to.

That said, Ubuntu (and, I assume, Debian) includes python2.4 and python2.4-sqlalchemy packages. I'm too lazy to check the version number on sqlalchemy right now, though.

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.

I have a dual monitor setup, with a total 2540x960 resolution. I typically run with four desktops:

1: thunderbird:aqualung
2: firefox:xchat
3: whatever:whatever
4: whatever:whatever

The neat thing is that I can use alt-[1-4] to swap between them, so I can quickly see different sets of data.

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!

Harokey posted:

So should I wait to upgrade to Fedora 9 since I use an nvidia card with dual monitors using twinview?

Anybody have any opinion on this?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I want to add cron jobs if they do not exist in my build script. How can I do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

Your Japanese Dad posted:

When I was running the newest Ubuntu release I was having some stability issues. Random lockups where the whole system would freeze hard, and of course my logs never showed anything. However I've moved to Fedora 9 and have not had any of the problems. I really like how Ubuntu worked, and I'm sure I could just go back to 7.10, but I've gotten to the point to where it's all the same to me at this point.

Oddly enough I had the exact opposite issue. I had been using Fedora since 6, and when I installed 9 (among other more minor issues) I would get random lockups, freezes, and reboots. I didn't really bother to investigate it, though. I figured it was a good excuse to try out Ubuntu, and I like it quite a bit so far - and no freezes.