Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So my iPod isn't being recognized by iTunes since I jailbroke it. I tried retoring it by putting the ipod in recovery mode and I get an error 1604(I believe). I wish I had never done this because I really don't see anything worthwhile at all.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 18, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DarkSol posted:

Other than using iOrder, is there any way to remove icons? Some icon got installed when I did ziphone and I don't see any point of it being up there.

Customize will let you hide icons.

quote:

Also, I know with 1.1.4, the icons are supposed to "jiggle" if you hold one of them for a while, how come mine aren't doing that? :confused:

I'm not sure about this, but I don't think you get the "jiggle" thing with just 1.1.4. I'm pretty sure you also have to install the official iPhone apps.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

KidDynamite posted:

So my iPod isn't being recognized by iTunes since I jailbroke it. I tried retoring it by putting the ipod in recovery mode and I get an error 1604(I believe). I wish I had never done this because I really don't see anything worthwhile at all.

What version of iTunes are you running? If it's less than 7.5, that may be your problem.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Customize will let you hide icons.

I'm not sure about this, but I don't think you get the "jiggle" thing with just 1.1.4. I'm pretty sure you also have to install the official iPhone apps.

Yeah, you have to. I got it all figured out. I'm playing with this TR-909 emulator. So much fun!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What version of iTunes are you running? If it's less than 7.5, that may be your problem.

I'm running 7.6 something. I got my ipod to restore finally. I'm not sure if I'll be trying jailbreaking anytime soon. I really don't see any benefits.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

http://forums.iphonehacks.com/showthread.php?t=229

Problem solved! Don't use the installer fix it's broken.

Oh man, I was looking for awhile for a fix for this, but couldn't find any reliable source, so I kinda gave up hope. You rock!

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If anyone is looking for a nice, padded case to protect their Touch, I highly recommend the Life iFlip case, as modelled by my stunning photography below:

The iPod fits in nice and snug with enough room for the polishing cloth to be tucked in behind it. The cover is held closed by a magnetic clasp, is made of real leather, and has a slight spongey feel. The only thing I had to do was trim a small amount of leather (<1mm) around the headphone access hole to accomodate for the different types I use. Cost me $30AU, worth every cent.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Wow, it's been a while since I checked this thread and it sure has grown.

My brother is graduating this weekend, and I'm thinking about getting him a Touch. Where's the best place to buy them currently? I got mine from some dude on craiglist, so other than the apple store, I'm not sure where to look. Is the price pretty much fixed, or is there a decent amount of variation?

On an unrelated note, itunes locked up during a sync the other day, and when I restarted it, it had wiped all of my music and video off of my Touch. :argh:

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 20, 2008

Bob Vance
Aug 20, 2006

"Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration. Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration. Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration."
"So...what line of work you in, Bob?"

Hillridge posted:

My brother is graduating this weekend, and I'm thinking about getting him a Touch. Where's the best place to buy them currently? I got mine from some dude on craiglist, so other than the apple store, I'm not sure where to look. Is the price pretty much fixed, or is there a decent amount of variation?

On an unrelated note, itunes locked up during a sync the other day, and when I restarted it, it had wiped all of my music and video off of my Touch. :argh:

This guy seems to have a good business plan... :haw:

But yeah... most of the time SA mart is pretty good. I don't know if I can trust Ebay, but they're listed there too for about $100 off retail.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Hillridge posted:

Amazon is selling the 16gb with the software update for $368, which is about what I paid for mine without the software update a couple months ago. You can order a 16gb model from Target through Amazon for $350 and it won't have the software update, but assuming ~6% sales tax from Target, you'd be better off just buying it from Amazon.

That's probably your simplest choice, although it may not be the cheapest.

rorym
Sep 3, 2007
not too much
Question: in terms of actual features, is there any huge difference (beyond making calls) between the iPod Touch and the iPhone? I know the Phone has speakers, the Touch has more size, but if I'm getting a device and I wouldn't get the iPhone's plan, is there any reason for me to pick the iPhone?

pearofducks
Jan 21, 2003

quack?

rorym posted:

Question: in terms of actual features, is there any huge difference (beyond making calls) between the iPod Touch and the iPhone?

No.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The iPhone has a camera, doesn't it?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The iPhone has a camera, doesn't it?

Yes it does.

Edit: I'm having issues with my touch. When I press the button to turn off the screen, nothing happens. Nor does holding it down to turn off the ipod do anything as well. Any tips?

DarkSol fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 26, 2008

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
I bought an iPod off a friend and before giving it to me he wiped and restored it. The firmware version reports 1.1.4, but no 1.1.4 features seem to be there. If I hold down on an icon, it doesn't let me re-arrange them. I can't make webclip items in Safari, the button just doesn't appear when I press '+'.

What could be wrong, and can I reset it to factory defaults somehow?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kirk posted:

What could be wrong, and can I reset it to factory defaults somehow?

Chances are, nothing is wrong. Webclips, moving icons, etc. are part of the January Software Update, not part of the firmware. I would guess he sold you an old Touch, and he never bought the software update.

LE
Oct 19, 2002

It appears my freshly unwrapped iPod Touch 32GB is totally unable to connect to the net via WiFi.

I got it out of the box, had it sync up with my MacBook Pro to move around 18GB of music, and once that finished, decided to try out Safari. I managed to load a single page before the Wifi crapped out, and it hasn't come back since. I have turned the iPod on and off many times, restarted + flat out yanked the power on a 1TB Time Capsule, and also did a factory reset through iTunes. Even despite all this, the device cannot see any hotspots anywhere, and there are at least three in range (I live in an apartment, and yes, I use my own Wifi.)

Has anyone else come across this happening before? I didn't see many mentions of busted iPod Touch's in this thread, but after Googling it for a bit, I see that issues of a varied sort do exist. From what I gather though, they're mostly simple things like misspelled WEP/WPA passwords and poo poo like that.

Is it becoming common for iPod Touchs (Touches?) to come out of the box partially hosed?

I already made an appointment to talk to a Genius at the Apple Store tomorrow, as it seems more productive than sitting on hold with AppleCare. Basically, I just wanna know if anyone else has seen this.

(I'm sorry for any repetition in this post. I'm a bit tired, but wanted to get this out.)

MrBishop
Sep 30, 2006

I see what you did there...

Soiled Meat

LE posted:

Is it becoming common for iPod Touchs (Touches?) to come out of the box partially hosed?

I was just wondering about this.... I received a brand-spanking new 16G touch. For the first few hours, the thing was great. Then, while doing another sync to add another playlist, I noticed that the screen was black while it was plugged in. I unplugged it, and the screen came up, but was totally white. I plugged it back in, re-synced it, unplugged it, back to normal. Later, I decided to sync some photos to it, and the screen went black again. Ever since then, I haven't been able to get it to come back on. I've tried re-syncing, resetting using the two buttons.

My net access is slow as hell here, so I'm going to try a full restore tomorrow at work. Is there anything else I can try to get this thing to work?

LE
Oct 19, 2002

MrBishop posted:

I was just wondering about this.... I received a brand-spanking new 16G touch. For the first few hours, the thing was great. Then, while doing another sync to add another playlist, I noticed that the screen was black while it was plugged in. I unplugged it, and the screen came up, but was totally white. I plugged it back in, re-synced it, unplugged it, back to normal. Later, I decided to sync some photos to it, and the screen went black again. Ever since then, I haven't been able to get it to come back on. I've tried re-syncing, resetting using the two buttons.

My net access is slow as hell here, so I'm going to try a full restore tomorrow at work. Is there anything else I can try to get this thing to work?

My recommendation is to just make an appointment with the Apple Store and have them do a retail swap.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Hahaha what the gently caress is up with the new versions of gPSPhone and snes4iphone? They have ads now? No thanks.

I guess I'm bitching a bit much. Super Smash TV now runs pretty well. And ah, I guess I can't blame ZodTTD for wanting some revenue from his hard work.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 1, 2008

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Wow, this looks like an awesome case for the Touch! It's so thin! If only they didn't ship with UPS, Canadians will have to pay an extra $20 for customs. :(

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

CanuckBassist posted:

Wow, this looks like an awesome case for the Touch! It's so thin! If only they didn't ship with UPS, Canadians will have to pay an extra $20 for customs. :(

Holy crap, that's nice. Most slim cases or clear ones for that matter are either a soft rubber/plastic mix and won't protect well or they're ridiculously thick and bulky. I have a 'leather' dlo case with a cover that flips like a small notepad. I've become real acustom to this. I, like many men, have an OCD where everything belongs in a certain pocket. I don't want to give up the full protection of the screen and everything when it come get beat by the earphones or my phone.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
I plan on getting my wife the iTouch 32gb for her anniversary this month reading the last page I got a little freaked. The guy at CompUSA was the one who mentioned Ziphone and adding SNES/Maps/Skype to the iTOuch and that it was no problem.

With a new out of the box iTouch (which apparently has a high risk of being defective ?!?) is it simply easiest to upgrade to 1.1.4 and then run ZiPhone and not the other complicated steps listed in these other links? Is there a good tutorial for ZiPhone + adding apps out there?

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

I do believe 1.1.4 with Ziphone is the easiest way, and it's so drat easy.

Just download Ziphone and run/install it. The Ziphone window is very intuitive. You just click the button for the thing you want to do (jailbreak Touch), and it tells you to have iTunes running and the Touch connected. Just let it do its thing.

After jailbreaking, you will have a new Install icon. Just click that to install programs, also very intuitive.

Undaddy
Feb 26, 2008

Well. That settles it. Spankings all around, then.
So i'm thinking about purchasing an iPod Touch 32GB for some time now, and since my old iPod broke i'm looking for one now. Is it a good time to buy one now or are there any drops in price or new models on the horizon?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Undaddy posted:

So i'm thinking about purchasing an iPod Touch 32GB for some time now, and since my old iPod broke i'm looking for one now. Is it a good time to buy one now or are there any drops in price or new models on the horizon?

Every local store I see has it at $500, like I said earlier, my wife's anniversary is next week, I have it in my mind already to drop $500 + case for her, but it would be nice to save a little $$$.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Undaddy posted:

I'd really say wait. You're already half way through the year. I can only imagine an update coming by February. Even when they first came out I bought an 8GB because it was on sale and I grabbed it after gift cards for like $170. I could already use more room but it's working fine for me right now.

I grabbed the 8GB because I feel like anytime Apple releases a new product the first generation gets completely shafted. Now I can just sell my old one used when a new one comes out and lose very little!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

VibrioCholera posted:

I'd really say wait. You're already half way through the year. I can only imagine an update coming by February.

His current iPod broke, and your suggestion is to wait eight months until February in order to possibly save $100?

I'd have to disagree with that suggestion. If anything, there's a very slight possibility Apple may announce something about a new Touch model next Monday at the WWDC, but I doubt it.

edit: If I had to guess, though, I'd say there's a pretty good chance Best Buy, et. al. will have some sort of iPod "deals" advertised next Sunday (as in, not a price drop, but buy one and get some schwag or an iTunes card included), with Father's Day coming up and all.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 4, 2008

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Good thing the forums were down :v: I wanted to let everyone know Circuit City is having a sale on all iPods, including iTouch's, I just bought my wife her 32GB iTouch for $474, which is enough to get a case for about the same price as the iTouch usually retails for.

ziphone's latest version + 1.1.4 was the easiest stupid thing.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dvlos posted:

Good thing the forums were down :v: I wanted to let everyone know Circuit City is having a sale on all iPods, including iTouch's, I just bought my wife her 32GB iTouch for $474, which is enough to get a case for about the same price as the iTouch usually retails for.

Cool. By the way, looks like Best Buy has the same thing going on with all their iPods, too (if not shown at the store, tell them their internet price, they'll match it).

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Is there any way to delete apps or their icons from the main menu? Also while I know you can hold a menu icon until it shakes and move it around.. how do you get one to the second page of apps :(

I also installed Merriam-Webster's dictionary app on this thing and I don't know where the hell it went. I can load 80gbs worth of music on my iPod Classic, yet the iPod Touch takes 4 hours to do 30gbs :psyduck:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Cool. By the way, looks like Best Buy has the same thing going on with all their iPods, too (if not shown at the store, tell them their internet price, they'll match it).

drat that's a nice price cut. Has there been any rumors about upgrading the size of the HDD? I wouldn't mind a 64gig one.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Dvlos posted:

how do you get one to the second page of apps :(

Drag it towards the right side of the screen until a new page comes up.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

calandryll posted:

drat that's a nice price cut. Has there been any rumors about upgrading the size of the HDD? I wouldn't mind a 64gig one.

I thought iPod Touch/Phone's were flash memory based?

CanuckBassist posted:

Drag it towards the right side of the screen until a new page comes up.

I thought we tried that, but we'll give it another go (It doesn't help that the app IS on the right side). What about deleting 'em? Are you just stuck with them unless you do a restore?

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Dvlos posted:

What about deleting 'em? Are you just stuck with them unless you do a restore?

Do you want to keep the program but don't want to see the icon? Or do you just don't want the program altogether? If it's the latter, then just go open up the Installer program and uninstall it. I'm not sure how to delete an icon unless you do it manually with the icons file, which is a pain.

Dvlos posted:

I can load 80gbs worth of music on my iPod Classic, yet the iPod Touch takes 4 hours to do 30gbs
I think it's a bug with iTunes or something. Sometimes I see that it's taking more than 30seconds to sync each song, I'll just restart the computer and it'll sync much faster.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Dvlos posted:

I thought iPod Touch/Phone's were flash memory based?

Eh, that's what I meant. I'm just curious how long the sale is going to go on for. My stimulus check should in the mail today. And if there is talk of a larger capacity to come out I may wait to pick one up.

Bob Vance
Aug 20, 2006

"Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration. Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration. Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration."
"So...what line of work you in, Bob?"

Dvlos posted:

I can load 80gbs worth of music on my iPod Classic, yet the iPod Touch takes 4 hours to do 30gbs :psyduck:

Flash memory, generally speaking, has a much higher write time than a HDD. My iPod has similar sync times. Hopefully they can improve it with a new version of iTunes later this year.

calandryll posted:

And if there is talk of a larger capacity to come out I may wait to pick one up.

This is a possibility, since the 3G iPhones may be coming soon, I imagine that they will release new hardware and firmware for the iPod Touch along with it.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
the new google maps mobile has transit routes. is that available on the touch?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

I hate to ask more questions, but the drat PDF you download from Apple doesn't seem to tell you (or we've missed it twice :( ) when you are on a website and want to type something into a dialog box, how do you do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Have you tried clicking on the dialog box? :)

The keyboard will automatically pop up whenever you click on a box that you can type in.

• Locked thread