Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
This thread makse me go all :smith: over the two 1.9D Niva's that I could not afford to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Are there any offroad sites along the lines of the AdvRider forums for motorcycles? I'm planning something completely retarded involving my FZJ80 and South America. I suspect my vehicle will not return to Arizona with me but it will be a life experience.

I'd like to know this to. If it doesn't exist, it should.

expeditionportal is kind of like that, but they are smaller, less crazy, and have a lot less adventure than adventure riders.

I ate Jesus
Feb 27, 2001
Well, I sold my big Dodge Ramcharger and bought a 1990 Toyota 4runner for $1000. Getting used to IFS now, the Dodge had a solid front axle that would flex like crazy. I'm having to change my offroading style, which is probably a good thing - I was used to using the throttle on my 350hp V8 to get over things, now I have to very carefully choose a line.

So far I've put 285/75/16 retreads on it from TreadWright (formerly HiTech retreading), and have coil spring spacers to correct butt sag, and front locking Aisin hubs to allow me to get out of the woods with a busted CV. Rear Lockright is coming soon.

I want to do a SAS on it, but I'm going to wait a while and wheel the crap out of the IFS first.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Anyone got some bright ideas on the best way to make sure I got as much mud as possible out of my Frontera's clutch/bellhousing without dismantling? I'm probably going to go with mild detergent and plenty of rinsing out with water.

I already gave it a blast with some brake cleaner and a hosing out, but there's still a little bit of stickiness to it - I'm getting a graunch coming out of neutral, so it looks like the clutch is still driving the input shaft a little when disengaged.

I've done this before on one of the Pandas, so I'm not overly worried about terminal damage, but I figured someone might have suggestions to get it back to normal.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I ate Jesus posted:

So far I've put 285/75/16 retreads on it from TreadWright (formerly HiTech retreading), and have coil spring spacers to correct butt sag, and front locking Aisin hubs to allow me to get out of the woods with a busted CV. Rear Lockright is coming soon.
I ran those tires for 25k, I rather liekd them - especially the price - but be aware that they chunk hardcore when spun in the rocks.

Disciple of Pain posted:

I'd like to know this to. If it doesn't exist, it should.

expeditionportal is kind of like that, but they are smaller, less crazy, and have a lot less adventure than adventure riders.

Exactly. Maybe I should just sell my F4i for a KTM Adventure or something :smith:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 20, 2008

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

BlackMK4 posted:

Exactly. Maybe I should just sell my F4i for a KTM Adventure or something :smith:

Go to expedition portal and post your plan anyways. I bet someone there could help you out. There are several people who have gone all over the place and back.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Atticus_1354 posted:

Go to expedition portal and post your plan anyways. I bet someone there could help you out. There are several people who have gone all over the place and back.

I will, I know there are a lot of Az guys on that site.

I lost my voice so I couldn't do my job today.... ended up calling out and going offroading for a while at a place 10 mins from my house.

I only bothered to take a few pics.

Blah blah bee... The front is an inch to the bumpstop, the rear is 2 inches to the bumpstop.

My new friend...

And this is what we call a poor man's 3 link...

Take the front bolt out of one front lower control arm and we get an extra 2" of flex, it allows you to do stuff like rub/bend the poo poo out of the front fender wells with tires that are said to clear just fine.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Looks like a fun area. Sometimes I wish I lived more out west so I could drive around in some nice dry rocky areas like that. I get bored with sloppy soggy poo poo after a while.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 22, 2008

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Atticus_1354 posted:

Looks like a fun area. Sometimes I wish I lived more out west so I could drive around in some nice dry rocky areas like that. I get bored with sloppy soggy poo poo after a while.

I guess, but I rather like taking multiple attempts and time to get through a trail rather than pointing and shooting because you've got a shitload of grip. :( I rarely get to do that unless I'm in rocks + sand or water and rocks. Coincidentally, I do a lot of wash offroading where you get the large boulders, big rocks, and sand going.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 22, 2008

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I guess, but I rather like taking multiple attempts and time to get through a trail rather than pointing and shooting because you've got a shitload of grip. :( I rarely get to do that unless I'm in rocks + sand or water and rocks. Coincidentally, I do a lot of wash offroading where you get the large boulders and sand going.

There is an area with some sand near my house. I also plan to take a trip to mustang island for some beach driving and camping.

I must say that this gets old after a while. I really hate cleaning the jeep after a long day of wheeling in this.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Haha holy gently caress. Ah, fun times working on the truck with ski goggles on so you don't throw poo poo across the shop in anger of dirt in the eyes.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Haha holy gently caress. Ah, fun times working on the truck with ski goggles on so you don't throw poo poo across the shop in anger of dirt in the eyes.

Yeah, that is my friends land cruiser. He has better tires now. Of course now I really want to go driving, but it is the middle of the night and I have a lot of work to do tomorrow. Maybe on Friday or Saturday I can get away. I guess I will hold off on washing the jeep.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I buried my truck today but came out clean, body wise at least. I decided to take a shortcut through my field and without warning i sunk rocker deep. Pulled out fairly easily but now i know to stay away from the surprise sinkhole.

I also lowered the dually.

Seven thousand pounds of gravel will do that though.

I also didn't realize how big my truck appeared until i was parked beside a Grand Cherokee today.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Haha, I've never seen a Limited that looks like that. What'd you do with your other one?

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I sold the old one to a buddy who needed dependable transportation. It will probably never go off road again but i'm glad it went to someone who could use it even if they aren't going to wheel it.

Here's the Limited clean for a change.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Toucan Sam posted:

Here's the Limited clean for a change.

What size and brand tires are you running? Do you like them?

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I wanted Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs but i needed tires now so i couldn't wait. The tires i have on are Goodyear/Republic Trailmark M/S Radials in 265/75-16 which is a 32x10.50. I've ran just about everything out there but for a cheap tire, less than $500 mounted and balanced, they are fantastic. They are D Range tires so the sidewalls are 8 ply but they do good on the road even though one of them is load rated higher than the weight of my Ex. We had a terrible winter and i never had a problem even in snow up to 3.5 feet.

I mainly bought them to tide me over until i finished my lift and put my 35s on. I will put these on my '95 when i finish my Limited. In that picture they have 8000+ miles.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

I am thinking about switching to a skinnier all-terrain tire for better road handling, but I just love how good my tires grab. It is a really hard decision, but I have several more miles before these wear out.

Also crossposting this from the jeep thread for you non-jeep guys.

A friend was spending the weekend with me so we went for a little exploration in the Sam Houston National Forest. I found an awesome little 1 mile trail that you definitely need a small 4wheel drive with a good lift to get through. In one section I had a less than 2" of clearance on either side of the Cherokee. The trail leads to a nice little camping spot by Lake Conroe that I am going to take some friends to next week. If anyone in the Houston area is looking for a good camping spot with no activity feel free to PM me for GPS coordinates. If anyone wants to meet me there or knows of any other trails I would be more than happy to hang out.

Two pictures from my cell phone.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

(crossing a bridge made of 2x4's, I aint skeered. :black101: )
Heres my first rover, a 1993 County Long Wheelbase. I owned it for 7 years and just sold it last winter. It was my beater/daily driver until the radiator blew and I bought this.

It's a 97 Discovery XD, right now it is sitting in the driveway with grenaded front wheel bearings, awaiting replacement. Good thing I've got this.

Its a 1983 Series 3 109 Stage 1 V8. It has a 4.0 discovery engine and 4 speed full time 4wd transmission/transfer case(it's all one unit, originally designed for an agricultural tractor) with vacuum operated diff locks. I haven't had a chance to get it dirty yet, but this summer is fast approaching.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

There is a '69 Land Rover series III with English plates and a 2.5 diesel for sale in Austin. He only wants $8500 for it, but I have no money. Anyone want to let a jeep fan borrow some money so he can become a Land Rover convert?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I'll probably be posting a project thread on this eventually, our race truck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StDgD8bfR0c

First Unlimited H1 in competition [Hummers usually run stock/oem classes like 8]. First race is in August, Vegas to Reno, eventually doing the Baja 1000, I'll be part of the crew and will be running my truck as a chase/equipment truck if things go well.

We pulled the truck up to Stoddard Valley to adjust suspension and check for loose hoses and any other issues, the truck has much higher suspension travel then a stock H1, so much so, the halfshafts were being knocked off the truck when you hit the whoopdie doos going 60+ mph. We're going to adjust that and bring the truck back out again soon.

We couldn't really take it up to full speed, there was too much long weekend traffic on the trails, so we went to an isolated section and had spotters along a few miles to make sure no kids on quads or any rhinos were in the way.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 1, 2008

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Atticus_1354 posted:

There is a '69 Land Rover series III with English plates and a 2.5 diesel for sale in Austin. He only wants $8500 for it, but I have no money. Anyone want to let a jeep fan borrow some money so he can become a Land Rover convert?
If it's a '69, it'll be a IIA. You can tell by the door hinges - IIAs have two arms standing proud of the body, whereas IIIs have a Defender-style square one.

SIIIs got a plastic rad grille rather than metal, but it could have been swapped.

VVVV: Durrr, should have thought of that!

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 25, 2008

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

If it's a '69, it'll be a IIA. You can tell by the door hinges - IIAs have two arms standing proud of the body, whereas IIIs have a Defender-style square one.

SIIIs got a plastic rad grille rather than metal, but it could have been swapped.

The safest way to tell is by the bulkhead!. Look through the window. If it has a plastic dash with the gauges infront of the driver it is a s3. no plastic dash - just metal with shelves on either side and gauges in the centre means 2A.
Door hinges and front grills often seem to move about.

I own a series 2A, on a 1969 plate, but with headlights in the centre panel and 90 doors and hinges..

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

The safest way to tell is by the bulkhead!. Look through the window. If it has a plastic dash with the gauges infront of the driver it is a s3. no plastic dash - just metal with shelves on either side and gauges in the centre means 2A.
Door hinges and front grills often seem to move about.

I own a series 2A, on a 1969 plate, but with headlights in the centre panel and 90 doors and hinges..

Have you got any pics hanging around of yours all muddied up?

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 9, 2023

Sisco
Aug 7, 2004
where do you guys find these crazy odd rigs like the M35? The only place I know of for looking is craigslist and I never find anything. Ever.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
In the same line as Sindow, I've been looking into getting an off-road vehicle and getting out of DSMs.

Preferably, I'd love to find a Wrangler that's been built to the teeth and trade the owner straight-across for an 11-second DSM. I went camping at a really rocky, sandy spot a few weeks ago and everyone was in Jeeps except me in my BMW. So I had to load all my stuff in someone else's car and we drove basically up rock and sand to the top of the mountain. It was a TON of fun.

I figure the DSM is worth 6-8k to the right buyer... is that a decent price for a 90s decently modified Wrangler? What about the Cherokee with the 4.0? Is there anything else I should look for? I don't think I'd want it to be off-road only, as I'd probably drive it if I went out camping.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

You should probably find a friend with a wrangler and drive it some on and offroad. Some people love them and some don't. Just like any other car try and drive as many as you can. You may decide you want a Cherokee or a truck of some kind instead. Don't buy a wrangler because everyone else has one.

As for buying pre-built or not, that is up to you. Do you plan to do the work yourself or hire it out? What do you want done and how close is the vehicle your looking at to what you want? Do you know what to look for and what mods are good and bad? Just because it is jacked up and has big tires doesn't mean it is good. I went with a friend to look at a cj7 the other day and it was completely lifted with longer shackles. It drove poorly because of this and would have been even worse offroad. On the other hand I bought my cherokee mostly built. The previous owner had the work done at a reputable shop and used quality components. It was also a smoking deal that I just couldn't pass up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hah, I'd like to throw even more love at those HighTecRetread tires. I just (6am) rocked 95mph for 1.5hr heading home from a party with a flat tire because I thought the heavy pull to the right was probably an alignment problem since I'd just bombed through a wash at 50mph. It held up amazingly. :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 27, 2008

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Not much exciting about these roads but StressPill and I were riding around on Memorial day, so I practiced 1 handed, dirt road riding photography. It was pretty fun:

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Had an idea gnawing at my brain so i went to see Pottsy after work today. We made some changes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heICakyN4Wg&feature=related

I want to go to Europe, they know how to off-road!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CommieGIR posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heICakyN4Wg&feature=related

I want to go to Europe, they know how to off-road!

Thats great! I love the half track thing trying to turn the corner. You can see he's got it on full lock and its just gouging holes in the ground and going straight on!

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
I've been thinking about building a class 5/1600 baja bug. What are all of your thoughts on these? When I was a kid we would always take yearly trips to moab utah for some rock crawling. Over time I realized I'm not a big fan of rock crawling and enjoy the faster desert racing and sand dune cruising much more. I'm real close to the southern utah deserts and thought a desert car would be lots of fun. The baja bug seems like it's pretty cheap to build and parts are also cheap when it breaks. Any of you built one? I'm on a pretty limited budget and something like this sounds like it could work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I will, I know there are a lot of Az guys on that site.

There's a lot of 'em on this site too, just that most of us are queers who own Miatas and Minis and lowered trucks and poo poo :v:

Part of me honestly wonders if, given the gas prices, now I can afford to pick up a Cherokee or something to use strictly as an offroad beater / poo poo hauler.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Part of me honestly wonders if, given the gas prices, now I can afford to pick up a Cherokee or something to use strictly as an offroad beater / poo poo hauler.
I went from a Land Cruiser as my DD to buying a Honda F4i because gas was ending up at close to $160 a week :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

3 days, A$296.33!

I am sooo thankfull that i have a company credit card! This drill rig would SUCK if i had to pay for its fuel bill!

Fpenguin
Jul 7, 2006
75% potassium nitrate, 15% charcoal, 10% sulfur
anybody around the bay area know of any good trails to go on? i usually go on one up in cobb mountain but ive been wanting to check out more places

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Ferremit posted:

3 days, A$296.33!

I am sooo thankfull that i have a company credit card! This drill rig would SUCK if i had to pay for its fuel bill!

Pussy, I was burning 108 gallons a day! At today's prices that's like HOLY poo poo. lol.

Thank god for company credit cards.

Ever seen a $700 fuel bill? I have :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fpenguin
Jul 7, 2006
75% potassium nitrate, 15% charcoal, 10% sulfur

InterceptorV8 posted:

Pussy, I was burning 108 gallons a day! At today's prices that's like HOLY poo poo. lol.

Thank god for company credit cards.

Ever seen a $700 fuel bill? I have :3:

i have 1956 gm bus with a 140 gal tank :D