Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

The Remote Viewer posted:

Can someone explain the utility of virtual desktops to me? Almost all flavors of Linux seem to have them, but I don't understand why I'd want to use more than one. That's what window controls are for, isn't it?

I use around 9 (3x3). One for a browser, one for eclipse, one for irssi/lftp/shell account, one for compiling whatever I'm doing in eclipse, and I toss various others around as well.

Having to constantly cycle through my windows (especially if there are a ton running) is cumbersome and wastes time organizing. I just like having a few windows laying around grouped based on what I use them for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Smackbilly posted:

Oddly enough I had the exact opposite issue. I had been using Fedora since 6, and when I installed 9 (among other more minor issues) I would get random lockups, freezes, and reboots. I didn't really bother to investigate it, though. I figured it was a good excuse to try out Ubuntu, and I like it quite a bit so far - and no freezes.

I think it had to do with acpi because after running Ubuntu again passing the usual noapic acpi=off irqpoll in grub seemed to fix all those problems. Fedora was nice but not having nvidia drivers was frustrating. I've been running Ubuntu 8.04 for 24 hours straight and no hiccups now.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Just installed FC9 on my new laptop and my initial reaction: meh. I feel like fedora peaked at 7. No Nvidia, lockups on start up and shutdown, cant get wireless working (tho I havent had too much time for this yet), and I cant seem to find any of the old menu items like login screen.

Also, maybe Im having at the wrong place but the fedora community loving sucks, Ubuntu's forums are thriving and have an answer to pretty much every question I have. Ill give Ubuntu another shot, I started on RHEL so Im kinda a fan boy...and its hard for me to try new things!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

rugbert posted:

Just installed FC9 on my new laptop and my initial reaction: meh. I feel like fedora peaked at 7. No Nvidia, lockups on start up and shutdown, cant get wireless working (tho I havent had too much time for this yet), and I cant seem to find any of the old menu items like login screen.

Also, maybe Im having at the wrong place but the fedora community loving sucks, Ubuntu's forums are thriving and have an answer to pretty much every question I have. Ill give Ubuntu another shot, I started on RHEL so Im kinda a fan boy...and its hard for me to try new things!

I've used redhat, gentoo, arch, pclinuxos, fedora and ubuntu. I can easily say that Ubuntu is by far the most pleasant to work with on a desktop because you never have to put much effort into it. Anyone who thinks that Ubuntu can't be a contender for the desktop is retarded.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
When you are about to cancel a dedicated server account, is there anything you can run as some sort of final command that wipes absolutely everything?

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

fletcher posted:

When you are about to cancel a dedicated server account, is there anything you can run as some sort of final command that wipes absolutely everything?

Can you just run "rm -rf /"?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Coupon Wizard posted:

I believe this may be the only legitimate use of this response I have ever seen.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What is the best way for Temp monitoring? Now that its summer, and I've been refusing A/C, the house has gotten up into the 90's. Because my machine runs upstairs, it ended up overheating last night. I've got an open ssh terminal to it all day, and was hoping I could do a quick/dirty temp pooling. Looking around, lm-sensors seems to be the most popular, but looking to see if there were any other suggestions. Or, is there a way to continuously monitor, or would i just have to run sensors every 10 mins?

And yes, once the system over heated, I gave in and turned the A/C on.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

fletcher posted:

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/{h,s}d{a,b} ?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Coupon Wizard posted:

That doesn't wipe anything, it just deletes the files. To wipe you need to run something like 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/Xda'. If you want to leave the server operational, then you need to delete all your files, then run 'd if=/dev/zero of=/home/Zerofile ; rm /home/Zerofile'. This overwrites all empty space and after it has filled the home-drive deletes the file. This needs to be repeated for every partition and it may still leave some data intact, for example in the swap.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Is there any music player for linux that makes use of the "album artist" tag? I have a lot of compilations that I like to attribute the "album artist" tag to "Various Artists", and I dislike adding additional artists to the "title" tag (Z, feat. A, B and C) I'd rather have this info in the "artist" tag. Foobar2000 handled this without a hitch. I gave quodlibet a try, and while it did have an "album artist" column, it doesn't seem to coincide with the field created by foobar2000. Should I just bite the bullet and add featuring artists to the title? :(

Non-Edit: I see Amarok also has a hidden column for "Album Artist", but I cannot edit as it's greyed out...

Edited for clairity. VVVVV Thanks for catching that for me!

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 21, 2008

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

bootleg robot posted:

Is there any music player for linux that makes use of the "album artist" tag? I have a lot of compilations that I like to attribute the "artist" tag to "Various Artists", and I dislike adding addition artists to the "title" tag (Z, feat. A, B and C).
Isn't that quite backwards though? If it were me I'd use the artists name in the "artist" field and "Various Artists" as the "album artist" field. Just a thought. :)

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Marinmo posted:

Isn't that quite backwards though? If it were me I'd use the artists name in the "artist" field and "Various Artists" as the "album artist" field. Just a thought. :)

I'm sorry, that's actually what I meant. :) I should probably check for coherency instead of only grammar before I hit the post button.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Your Japanese Dad posted:

I've used redhat, gentoo, arch, pclinuxos, fedora and ubuntu. I can easily say that Ubuntu is by far the most pleasant to work with on a desktop because you never have to put much effort into it. Anyone who thinks that Ubuntu can't be a contender for the desktop is retarded.

Whose saying Ubuntu cant be a contender? I installed Ubuntu and it actually had less support tho... Native resolution was 800x600 and Envy kept crashing so I couldn't install the nvidia drivers. Does the final version of 8.4 use the latest xorg? I dont want too but I think Im going back to the last generation distros until some Nvidia drivers come out.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

rugbert posted:

Whose saying Ubuntu cant be a contender? I installed Ubuntu and it actually had less support tho... Native resolution was 800x600 and Envy kept crashing so I couldn't install the nvidia drivers. Does the final version of 8.4 use the latest xorg? I dont want too but I think Im going back to the last generation distros until some Nvidia drivers come out.

Well I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 and I have Nvidia drivers working on my 8800 GTS 640mb. Fedora is the only one with any problems.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to play some mod files in Linux. I was using xmplay on Windows, but there is no analog to it in Linux. In particular, there is no player to easily recurse zip files to play the module I wanted.

I'm currently trying to script a converter to decompress the files in my playlist out into a directory. I am trying to find a way to recursively unzip a zip file. Say, the mod file will be in:

code:
A_.zip
   A_module.zip
      a_module.mod
I want to unzip the specific file using a command-line utility without having to fully decompress any of the other archives. Is there a utility with this capability? I'll eat up a lot of space--albeit temporarily--if I have to unzip everything.

Also, if somebody knows a module player in Linux that can handle playing in zip files, I would consider just using that. xmplayer doesn't run in wine particularly due to that recursion plugin.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Your Japanese Dad posted:

Well I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 and I have Nvidia drivers working on my 8800 GTS 640mb. Fedora is the only one with any problems.

did they install out of the box? I have a nvidia 7150 thats giving me poo poo.

also - Whats the best way to ghost this install? I ghosted my sisters gusty install but couldnt reimage because the grub got all hosed up

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Our development machine uses Fedora 5 (64 bit) and chroots to our various build environments. Our scripts to log into these environments are as follows:

buildname:
code:
#!/bin/sh
exec sudo /usr/local/bin/buildname-2
buildname-2:
code:
#!/bin/sh

[ -z $SUDO_USER ] && exit 1
exec /usr/bin/linux32 /usr/sbin/chroot /buildmountpoint su - $SUDO_USER -c "cd '$PWD' && exec '$SHELL'"
Our users are mapped to use "buildname" from sudo. They type "buildname" and they're there. It's worked great for years.

I'm trying to add a Fedora 8 (64 bit) using the same scripts as a template (obviously changing "/usr/bin/linux32" to "/usr/bin/x86_64"). It works and life is good...until you press control-c.

With the other environments, control-c works as you'd "expect". It doesn't do anything until you're in the middle of something that should be interrupted.

However, in the new Fedora 8 environment, you get this:
code:
Session terminated, killing shell... ...killed.
Which dumps you back into the original environment (and makes life difficult until you type "stty sane").

Based on what I can tell from google, it seems like it's some kind of interaction with "su -" but I can't figure it out. I'd like it to work as it does in the other environments and have control-c not break out of the chroot.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Whats the best way to find a good PCI-e to SATA expansion card?
I'm looking for cheap but quality. I don't really need any raid controllers for it since I'm currently using LVM. It seems it's easiest to find the card, then find out if its linux supported. I'd rather go the opposite way if I can.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
How would I connect to my D-Link NAS? (DNS-323) It uses Samba.

I'm trying to mount it through fstab.

code:
//192.168.0.254/Volume_1	/weaksauce	smbfs	auto,credentials=/root/.credentials,uid=1000,umask=000,user	0 0
inside /root.credentials I have.

code:
username=myusername
password=mypassword
Any ideas, the above isn't working.

Edit: The NAS uses samba so im assuming i use smbfs

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 22, 2008

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.
First step is just to connect through smbclient to make sure your password and everything work. "smbclient -L hostname" gives you the list of shares available so you can be sure you've got it right, then "smbclient -L \\\\hostname\\share" (note the doubled \'s) connects to one. Once you've done that, you can check that the settings in fstab match what you just used.

Also, I dunno if Gnome has an automatic Samba handler, but in KDE you can just open Konqueror and type "smb://hostname" without having to worry about mounting it or anything. (Although since it doesn't mount it, you can only see the share in Konqueror and possibly other KDE apps.)

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

lol internet. posted:

How would I connect to my D-Link NAS? (DNS-323) It uses Samba.

I'm trying to mount it through fstab.

code:
//192.168.0.254/Volume_1	/weaksauce	smbfs	auto,credentials=/root/.credentials,uid=1000,umask=000,user	0 0
inside /root.credentials I have.

code:
username=myusername
password=mypassword
Any ideas, the above isn't working.

Edit: The NAS uses samba so im assuming i use smbfs

Can you see the NAS when you open network:/// with nautilus? Do you get an error message when you do
code:
$ mount -a
?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

rugbert posted:

did they install out of the box? I have a nvidia 7150 thats giving me poo poo.

Well I started up the install, and it put me in the nv driver. Then it popped up and said I can use the restricted drivers, and I clicked the button and grabbed the .deb and installed it for me.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Lucien posted:

Can you see the NAS when you open network:/// with nautilus? Do you get an error message when you do
code:
$ mount -a
?

I didn't see it in in nautilus. But I changed smbfs to cifs and it worked fine.

I have one last question hopefully someone can answer.

It's in regards to mysql.

Basically i want to create a database called mysql.

username internet
password mypassword

can someone work me through the steps to getting this done through terminal?

I already created the database, and possibly the user. but the commands to delete created users would help.

Thanks.

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

lol internet. posted:

Basically i want to create a database called mysql.

username internet
password mypassword

can someone work me through the steps to getting this done through terminal?

I already created the database, and possibly the user. but the commands to delete created users would help.

Thanks.

1) Connect to mysql with your root account and enter your password.
code:
$ mysql -u root -p
2) Create the database (mysql is a horrible name for a database).
code:
mysql> create database db_mysql;
3) Add a user with the desired privileges.
code:
mysql> grant all privileges on db_mysql.* TO 'internet'@'localhost' identified by 'mypassword';
You can remove users and databases with
code:
mysql> drop user internet;
and
code:
mysql> drop database db_mysql;
respectively.

Edit: MySQL has a very good online reference at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/

Lucien fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 22, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well I ended up just unzipping the archives to get to the recursive archives underneath. It didn't take that much time, so I'd live with it.

A problem I'm having now is finding a mod player for Linux that doesn't piss me off. On Windows, I was using xmplay. It doesn't seem to run in wine well; in particular I don't think it likes plugins at all. I am trying to find something with accurate playback, a basic EQ, and a way to scroll through the songs. You'd be surprised how many tools can't do the scrolling--xmms's modplug-enabled player for example. Does anybody have any suggestions?

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
I have a question regarding urxvt. First off, how do I change the hue to each of the colors the program uses? I use a black background, so the default shade of blue, red, green, etc. do not look right. Here is a screenshot to illustrate:

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs227&d=08214&f=screenshot-sh686.png

In gnome-terminal, it was easy to do this, all you had to do was click on the color palette in the prefrences manu, and edit away.

Also, for some reason, irssi tab completion doesn't work in urxvt. I'll type the first letter of a username, press tab, and nothing happens. How do I fix this?

blitrig
Jul 2, 2003
I'm a Linux neophyte more or less, so this question may be retarded but here goes:

I have a headless box running Ubuntu (Gutsy) on my network. I normally SSH into it, but recently I've had some use for a desktop environment, preferably KDE, that I can VNC into. I don't want KDE running constantly as it eats up resources.

How would I go about starting KDE via SSH, log into it via VNC, do my stuff, and then shut it down again via SSH?

I've tried a few things, but I'm just not Linux savvy enough (yet) to figure this one out on my own.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

blitrig posted:

I'm a Linux neophyte more or less, so this question may be retarded but here goes:

I have a headless box running Ubuntu (Gutsy) on my network. I normally SSH into it, but recently I've had some use for a desktop environment, preferably KDE, that I can VNC into. I don't want KDE running constantly as it eats up resources.

How would I go about starting KDE via SSH, log into it via VNC, do my stuff, and then shut it down again via SSH?

I've tried a few things, but I'm just not Linux savvy enough (yet) to figure this one out on my own.

Unfortunately I have no idea what the answers to your questions are. I just want to know how you got that bar directly above the input that has the names of all the windows you have open, and I assume bolds the names with activity?!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

blitrig posted:

Instead of VNC, you can actually forward X sessions over ssh. Unless you mean you are using VNC to connect because you are running Windows/non-*nix platform on the client.

But besides all that, I believe you can simply ssh into the box, run "startx &" and it should fire up for you. Then you should be able to VNC in, at which point when you "logout" it will kill your X session.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

blitrig posted:

running kde in your idle vnc session should not take up singificant resource. You can always login, run vncserver, then vncserver -kill :1 when you're done with it.

This actually happens automatically if you configure vncserver to run via inetd (but you lose one of the benefits of being able to detach/reattach without your apps crapping the bed)

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...

nbv4 posted:

I have a question regarding urxvt. First off, how do I change the hue to each of the colors the program uses? I use a black background, so the default shade of blue, red, green, etc. do not look right. Here is a screenshot to illustrate:

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs227&d=08214&f=screenshot-sh686.png

In gnome-terminal, it was easy to do this, all you had to do was click on the color palette in the prefrences manu, and edit away.

Also, for some reason, irssi tab completion doesn't work in urxvt. I'll type the first letter of a username, press tab, and nothing happens. How do I fix this?
You have to add some stuff to ~/.Xdefaults. This is the colors I am using, that I got from the gentoo wiki and are described as 'gentler':
code:
Rxvt*background:  #000000
Rxvt*foreground:  #7f7f7f
Rxvt*color0:      #000000
Rxvt*color1:      #9e1828
Rxvt*color2:      #aece92
Rxvt*color3:      #968a38
Rxvt*color4:      #414171
Rxvt*color5:      #963c59
Rxvt*color6:      #418179
Rxvt*color7:      #bebebe
Rxvt*color8:      #666666
Rxvt*color9:      #cf6171
Rxvt*color10:     #c5f779
Rxvt*color11:     #fff796
Rxvt*color12:     #4186be
Rxvt*color13:     #cf9ebe
Rxvt*color14:     #71bebe
Rxvt*color15:     #ffffff
After that, run 'xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults' to enable the changes to take effect next time you start urxvt.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

blitrig posted:

Try FreeNX - it's a special client & server optimized for X but with modern compression and optimizations, so it's faster than X-over-SSH or VNC. The extra speed isn't needed if you're just working on a LAN, but if you ever want to connect from somewhere else it's invaluable, and it's pretty easy to set up and handles the details of starting KDE etc. for you.

(It's actually a commercial product, with I believe a free-as-in-beer client and pay server, but FreeNX clones the server portion. Or I could have that backwards.)

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

GringoGrande posted:

You have to add some stuff to ~/.Xdefaults. This is the colors I am using, that I got from the gentoo wiki and are described as 'gentler':
code:
Rxvt*background:  #000000
Rxvt*foreground:  #7f7f7f
Rxvt*color0:      #000000
Rxvt*color1:      #9e1828
Rxvt*color2:      #aece92
Rxvt*color3:      #968a38
Rxvt*color4:      #414171
Rxvt*color5:      #963c59
Rxvt*color6:      #418179
Rxvt*color7:      #bebebe
Rxvt*color8:      #666666
Rxvt*color9:      #cf6171
Rxvt*color10:     #c5f779
Rxvt*color11:     #fff796
Rxvt*color12:     #4186be
Rxvt*color13:     #cf9ebe
Rxvt*color14:     #71bebe
Rxvt*color15:     #ffffff
After that, run 'xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults' to enable the changes to take effect next time you start urxvt.

o hay wow that did it. I had to add that stuff to ~/.Xresources and run 'xrdb ~/.Xresources' instead. Tab completion still don't work tho :(

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

blitrig posted:

VNC can run headless on Linux... through SSH, install the tightvncserver package and then run the 'vncserver' command. You'll be prompted to set a password, and then a VNC-based X session will start up in the background. The first session will be :1 which maps to port 5901. The second will be :2 which maps to 5902 and so forth. You will probably have to edit ~/.vnc/xstartup to tell it to start KDE instead of twm. When you're done, just shut down KDE and the VNC server instance will terminate. If it doesn't, "vncserver -kill :1" will do the trick.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I'm starting fresh with Mandriva and I'm just trying a few things out.

How do I get commercial DVD's playing (like 007: Casino Royale for example)?

Is there any type of Synaptic manager or am I strictly stuck with the Add/Remove option?

I'll think of more questions later.

quick edit: Oh yea, the reason I posted in here. Is there a way to make sure Mandriva is strictly using ndiswrapper and none of the other provided open drivers for my wireless card? I've already blocked off the other drivers with the blacklist files but I just want to make sure.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: doublepost

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 13, 2017

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

GregNorc posted:

I have a HFS+ 500GB created with OSX, will linux be able to read that?

I do not think it will have any problems with HFS+ but we cannot do journaling on that file system type so it should be read only.

edit: If your distro does not mount it via the gui you can use 'mount -t hfsplus'

tehk fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 24, 2008

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
So best way to image a linux machine and save the grub? I spent days trying to get my wireless working on my laptop and I wanna image it before I gently caress it up.

I downloaded G4L to make an image of my install but the options seem pretty limited. I must have downloaded the wrong version because the interface and options dont look anything like the screens I saw on the web. It looked like the only thing I could do was disk to disk, I just want to make a gho image tho...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

rugbert posted:

So best way to image a linux machine and save the grub? I spent days trying to get my wireless working on my laptop and I wanna image it before I gently caress it up.

I downloaded G4L to make an image of my install but the options seem pretty limited. I must have downloaded the wrong version because the interface and options dont look anything like the screens I saw on the web. It looked like the only thing I could do was disk to disk, I just want to make a gho image tho...

Does it have to be a ghost image?

The best Linux imaging utility out there is probably clonezilla: http://www.clonezilla.org/

It doesn't make ghost images, but it's functionally identical, and has a lot of other neat features that you'll probably never use.