Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Gromit posted:

I run Vista on my HTPC, but I don't use the media centre. However, I press the power button on my keyboard to put it into hibernation and wake it up again by hitting the space bar.

do you use a wireless keyboard? Which model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I'm looking for a soundcard for my HTPC. Basically I want to be able to plug my 360 into the PC with optical, then have it output onto my 5.1 logitech speakers. Is this possible? What would be the best (cheapest) solution? Also would it be possible to maybe have coax and optical so I can also plug in my HD cable box?
Thanks

I am also looking for software that can look into my folders with my videos and stuff and database them into a prettier interface than just windows XP. But then when I select a file it will play in the program of my choice...is something like this available? I've been looking on google but couldn't find anything worth while

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

roffles posted:

do you use a wireless keyboard? Which model?

I bought the Logitech Cordless Desktop LX710 mouse and keyboard pack. Given more time, I would have perhaps preferred an earlier model that doesn't have the weird buttons along the left and right edges, as they are easy to press by accident when you are picking the keyboard up. Having said that, I've only pressed them once or twice in the 6-12 months of owning it.
My friend bought the same model, and he has trouble with the mouse response dropping off rapidly after about 2 meters, which is unacceptable. Mine works fine out to at least 4 or 5, but I've not tested it any further.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I apologize for pimping my own auctions in here, but I'm selling an HTPC remote in SAMart if anyone's interested.

I bought a remote only, then went back and bought the keyboard which came with ANOTHER remote/sensor, so I have a sealed extra. I have to admit, this thing's really impressive and cool.

Mods, if this is unacceptable please delete and accept my apologies.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Need to decide between Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 or AVerMedia AVerTV Combo on a Vista 64-bit system running MCE.

Any particular yay or nays for either of these? Should I buy something else instead? The card will be for mostly analog use, we'll get an HDHomeRun for digital later. It just seems like analog only cards cost almost as much and have a shorter OTA lifespan.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Can anyone recommend some decent cases? Is there anything specific I should be looking for? All I really know is I don't want to spend a ton of money on a case, and would like it to be quiet if possible.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

ZeroAX posted:

Can anyone recommend some decent cases?
This is the one I use and I loving LOVE it. Quiet, TONS of room (including a full-sized motherboard if you want), lots of drive bays and good, solid construction.

The only real downside is that the LCD/VFD is sold separately and that you WILL dim the blue LED's on the front, they're a little bright.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl
So how's XBMC on Vista? MediaPortal's treating me fine, but holy poo poo this Aeon XBMC skin is the hottest and sleekest HTPC interface i've seen: http://aeonismine.com/gallery.html

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
Anyone running MediaPortal v2? Should I use that or just the v1?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

.Nathan. posted:

So how's XBMC on Vista? MediaPortal's treating me fine, but holy poo poo this Aeon XBMC skin is the hottest and sleekest HTPC interface i've seen: http://aeonismine.com/gallery.html

If you don't want to wait, you can try Meedio Vintage, which now has an Aeon mode. Its a bit to get setup and running, but so is XBMC.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

EC posted:

If you don't want to wait, you can try Meedio Vintage, which now has an Aeon mode. Its a bit to get setup and running, but so is XBMC.

Hm, i installed everything, but no idea how to enable the Aeon stuff? I only see the basic choices as far as the main screen layout goes. I see Aeon mentioned under a Fanart section under settings, but not sure how to make use of that?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
You need to set Vintage to Aeon mode in the theme settings, and make sure you follow all the directions regarding downloading and setting up the fanart library so it will actually display something. Once Meedio restarts it should be done.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

EC posted:

You need to set Vintage to Aeon mode in the theme settings

Where do i find this? I've been through all the theme customizing screens and set Aeon under fanart, but don't see it mentioned anywhere else.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
http://shup.com/Shup/42951/108426164042-htpc-192.168.1.30-.png

Go to Themes > Customize, then set the option in the screen above. Should turn your list mode into a replica of Aeon's.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

Craptacular! posted:

Need to decide between Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 or AVerMedia AVerTV Combo on a Vista 64-bit system running MCE.

Any particular yay or nays for either of these? Should I buy something else instead? The card will be for mostly analog use, we'll get an HDHomeRun for digital later. It just seems like analog only cards cost almost as much and have a shorter OTA lifespan.

The Hauppage card is generally going to have better support. The 1800 is the pci-e version of the hvr-1600 which has reasonably decent windows support, forthcoming QAM support in beyond TV, and some rudimentary support in linux now. The hd-homerun is a pretty nice box as well, but has some issue with lag on channel changes and the driver/support is a bit kludgy. I have both the hvr-1600 and hd-homerun although I only use the hvr-1600 for analog right now to grab the channels which my local cable-co doesn't yet have clear QAM streams of. I'm part of the beyond TV open beta, but I haven't yet tried their latest QAM build that has native hauppage QAM support, but the comments on their forums seem to be generally positive.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

ZeroAX posted:

Can anyone recommend some decent cases? Is there anything specific I should be looking for? All I really know is I don't want to spend a ton of money on a case, and would like it to be quiet if possible.

I really like my ahanix mce302, though it's a bit hard to find I think. I got mine for around $130 on ebay. It's the nicest looking htpc case I've seen.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Recently moved my HTPC onto a 30" CRT. Does MeediOS allow me to resize the window (to avoid overscan)? Vista MCE won't let me do that. Also it runs pretty slowly to begin with.

Just installed MeediOS and Vintage on my Desktop PC. Time to sleep though, will take a crack at this tommorow.

Edit: vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Nope, since I'm running 480p or 1080i, this is not the case. drat you Nvidia, for some reason.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 29, 2008

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

VulgarandStupid posted:

Recently moved my HTPC onto a 30" CRT. Does MeediOS allow me to resize the window (to avoid overscan)? Vista MCE won't let me do that. Also it runs pretty slowly to begin with.

Yep. Your video card drivers probably do it better though.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

dyne posted:

I really like my ahanix mce302, though it's a bit hard to find I think. I got mine for around $130 on ebay. It's the nicest looking htpc case I've seen.

That looks like a nice case, thanks for the suggestion.

Right now I'm looking at the Antec Fusion 430. It's $160 and comes with a 430W PSU and an IR Receiver which seems like a pretty good deal.

I can't find any info the the power supply though. Would the 430W PSU be enough for an HTPC? Right now I'm just looking to get a E8400, a single hdd, a dvd drive and 2 gigs of ram. In the future I'd like to possibly add a bluray drive, a good video card, a second hdd, and the ability to record TV.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

ZeroAX posted:

Right now I'm looking at the Antec Fusion 430. It's $160 and comes with a 430W PSU and an IR Receiver which seems like a pretty good deal.

I can't find any info the the power supply though. Would the 430W PSU be enough for an HTPC? Right now I'm just looking to get a E8400, a single hdd, a dvd drive and 2 gigs of ram. In the future I'd like to possibly add a bluray drive, a good video card, a second hdd, and the ability to record TV.

Mine powers my Athlon X2 4000+, 2 hard drives, a DVD writer, 2gigs of RAM and an analog TV card with no problems. I do use on-board video though, and I don't know how much more power the Intel chip draws, but I don't see it being a problem.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

VulgarandStupid posted:

Recently moved my HTPC onto a 30" CRT. Does MeediOS allow me to resize the window (to avoid overscan)?

Yep!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

EC posted:

Yep!

Ok, cool, I will have to play around with that later. Is there anyway to bulk import movies? Granted I know I won't have images for them, but one at a time just won't cut it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yeah, several ways. Allow me to refer you to the very top notch and quality New Users Getting Started Guide which covers such topics. If you're using Vintage, you might want to glance at the oft-updated first post of the Vintage thread, which covers how to do all the imports you need to get music, movies, tv shows, weather, rss feeds, email notifications, and the Aeon stuff to work.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

EC posted:

Yeah, several ways. Allow me to refer you to the very top notch and quality New Users Getting Started Guide which covers such topics. If you're using Vintage, you might want to glance at the oft-updated first post of the Vintage thread, which covers how to do all the imports you need to get music, movies, tv shows, weather, rss feeds, email notifications, and the Aeon stuff to work.

I'm going to be changing from MediaPortal to the vintage MeediOS tonight. In what order should I be configuring thing? Should I install MeediOS Ultimate and get that set up. And then once I have that running change to the vintage theme? Or should I start from vintage?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Wood for Sheep posted:

I'm going to be changing from MediaPortal to the vintage MeediOS tonight. In what order should I be configuring thing? Should I install MeediOS Ultimate and get that set up. And then once I have that running change to the vintage theme? Or should I start from vintage?

I seem to remember that Vintage is included with Meedio Ultimate, so you should be allright to switch immediately. I don't think there's a lot that will prevent the basic app from loading, so you should be fine.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

SFrost007 posted:

Mine powers my Athlon X2 4000+, 2 hard drives, a DVD writer, 2gigs of RAM and an analog TV card with no problems. I do use on-board video though, and I don't know how much more power the Intel chip draws, but I don't see it being a problem.

Would you mind taking a picture of the back of your case where it should show all your PSU info? I'm mostly worried that in the future I'll want to add a nice video card to play games on my TV and the PSU wont be enough.

SirLoin
Mar 9, 2004

Let all your conscious go and blow it by the O

ZeroAX posted:

Would you mind taking a picture of the back of your case where it should show all your PSU info? I'm mostly worried that in the future I'll want to add a nice video card to play games on my TV and the PSU wont be enough.

Not my picture

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
That MeediOS Vintage and Aeon interface looks awesome. I'd like to give it a try. I've got a working (and stable) Media Portal 0.2.3.0 setup now and I tried RC1 on a test box but couldn't get the TVServer setup working with my HDHomeRun.

From what I see in the MeediOS forum, to use the HDHomeRun with MeediOS requires MediaPortal's TVServer, and even then it's a bit of a test to get it up and running properly. Anybody here have success with MeediOS, HDHomeRun, and MP TVServer?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've bought and hooked up the Hauppauge 1800 with our analogue cable line, digital to come later. Works all right so far, but there's quite a bit of digital noise that you don't see in a direct to TV hookup or on our cable box. Is this par for the course with HTPC?

I saw this in a FAQ on Green Button:

quote:

LIVE TV Quality Trouble:
1)
Change BitRate:
First of all check the key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Video\Tuners\DVR] and find the KEY DefAvgBitRate
Change it to somewhere between: 20000000 and 90000000
Select DECIMAL VALUE when changing.

...But I don't know whether that will do anything or is just registry fuckery. Any opinions from the collective here?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

My computer bluscreened while I was watching TV on Friday night and I keep getting this everytime I try to watch TV now.

anything I can do to fix it, I've restarted SEVERAL times since and it just keeps coming up like this.

Computer Specs:

<OS> Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64
<CPU> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+, 2.41 GHz
<VIDEO> NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT on 2 monitors @ 1280x1024x32bpp 60Hz
<SOUND> Speakers (Realtek AC'97 Audio)
<MEMORY> 2 GB
<HD> [C:] 157.30/465.76 GB
<NET> D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter @ 100.0 Mbps
<TUNER> Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150MCE

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Kilonum posted:

My computer bluscreened while I was watching TV on Friday night and I keep getting this everytime I try to watch TV now.

anything I can do to fix it, I've restarted SEVERAL times since and it just keeps coming up like this.
Run diagnostic check on the harddrive and if that doesn't produce errors then run 'chkdsk' in Windows. I prefer Drive Fitness Test.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Saukkis posted:

Run diagnostic check on the harddrive and if that doesn't produce errors then run 'chkdsk' in Windows. I prefer Drive Fitness Test.

none of these worked :(

SirLoin
Mar 9, 2004

ZeroAX posted:

I bought this case off of Newegg today and I wanted to give the heads up that if you order this or any other Antec product off of Newegg before June 5th to use the promo code: EMCAFDAAB
This will remove any shipping cost on most if not all Antec products.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

SirLoin posted:

I bought this case off of Newegg today and I wanted to give the heads up that if you order this or any other Antec product off of Newegg before June 5th to use the promo code: EMCAFDAAB
This will remove any shipping cost on most if not all Antec products.

I really want the silver version of that case, because of the VFD instead of the black model's LCD. Please let us know what you think of the case when it arrives. I've read that the LCD/VFD drivers for that case can be a pain, and I will be very interested in your experiences with it.

What are you putting in it, and what will you run on the finished box?

SirLoin
Mar 9, 2004

Sexual Lorax posted:

I really want the silver version of that case, because of the VFD instead of the black model's LCD. Please let us know what you think of the case when it arrives. I've read that the LCD/VFD drivers for that case can be a pain, and I will be very interested in your experiences with it.

What are you putting in it, and what will you run on the finished box?

Yeah, I'll be sure to post my impressions as soon as it arrives.

As for what will be running in the case:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD 780G
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 4850e
Memory: A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
HDDs: 200GB I already own for OSs and 320GB I already own to store some videos locally so I'm not streaming everything from my server.
Video Card: ASUS EN8500GT GeForce 8500GT 512MB
Keyboard: Logitech Cordless MediaBoard Pro with cirago BTA-6130
DVD Drive: Samsung SH-S203B DVD Burner (Already own)
Wireless: ASUS WL-138g
Remote: Anyware GP-IR01BK

Now, the motherboard's integrated video is supposed to be sufficient for HTPC use but I have an extra copy of Leopard I'll be messing around with and needed a cheap card that's supported (8500GT).

I plan to use VMC as my main front-end but I'll also be playing around with the various XBMC ports.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
I've got Meedio Vintage all set up and running, but when I'm watching a video on my TV I get a "No Signal". Pressing a button wakes it up, and the file is still going during this because the sound through my receiver doesn't stop. Any idea where to start checking?

edit: Whats wrong with the meedios site, I can't get it to load?

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 2, 2008

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Kilonum posted:

none of these worked :(

Is it possible that you didn't allocate enough of the HDD for recording and the bit you did allocate is full?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I have 50GB allocated and 147GB is showing as free... I currently have no recorded shows either

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Thoughts on how this would hold up for running XBMC for Linux and streaming HD (either 720p or 1080p)?

http://gizmodo.com/394563/asus-eee-box-b202-our-first-look-plus-official-specs-only-300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Euthyphro posted:

Thoughts on how this would hold up for running XBMC for Linux and streaming HD (either 720p or 1080p)?

http://gizmodo.com/394563/asus-eee-box-b202-our-first-look-plus-official-specs-only-300

I'm going to guess that thing will poo poo itself and catch fire at the thought of 720p, let alone 1080p. The Atom processors sound great for what they are, but are closer to a Pentium III than they are anything up to date.

Add in the lack of a video card to help out the decoding, and I'm thinking it's not going to happen.