Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.
The finished kind-of Esquire. I know Esquires had a three-way switch, but I've got a no-load pot so I can take it out of the circuit, and a mid-50's Sprague .015 capacitor on that, so I didn't really need an esquire switch.

And now... the most recent "mod" to it...

That's right. A signature from Greg Koch, the Gristle Man himself. I think it completes the guitar nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Very elegant. That's about as purty of a Tele as I have ever seen. Hopefully having that signature on there will allow you to steal some of his mojo...

VISMAL
Aug 30, 2006
Just got this of Ebay, I am very excited. It is a 15 ply maple 14 x 5.5 vented OCDP. I have a nice little snare collection going.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Unnghh please somebody talk me out of buying this Ibanez RG2610. I've found one very cheap at a local-ish dealer and I'm going to go and play it on Monday, I hope it turns out to be no better than my RGT42DX so I don't have to buy it...

The reason it's so cheap is because it's last year's model, this year Ibanez has upgraded all of it's RG Prestige models to Edge Zero trems - does anyone have any experience with these? Would it be worth shelling out the extra cash ($300 AUD or so) to get a 2008 model?

Man, buying things with the justification "Well I'm going to own one at some point in my life so it might as well be now and not in a few years' time" has to be the least wallet-friendly spending policy ever. I can't be the only person that does it.

edit: I say 'very cheap' but I mean 'not really all that cheap but still about $700 off list price'.

Concatenation fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 24, 2008

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Digitech DD-20

M-Audio Keystation 61es

MXL 990/MXL 991 mic package

Celestion V30 for my ValveKing

accutronics reverb tank for my amp as well.

I still got a firewire solo and a preamp/eq/compressor that haven't arrived yet too. As well I upgraded FL studio from Producer to XXL. I just wish my apartment had more room so I could use this stuff more.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Concatenation posted:

Unnghh please somebody talk me out of buying this Ibanez RG2610. I've found one very cheap at a local-ish dealer and I'm going to go and play it on Monday, I hope it turns out to be no better than my RGT42DX so I don't have to buy it...

The reason it's so cheap is because it's last year's model, this year Ibanez has upgraded all of it's RG Prestige models to Edge Zero trems - does anyone have any experience with these? Would it be worth shelling out the extra cash ($300 AUD or so) to get a 2008 model?

Man, buying things with the justification "Well I'm going to own one at some point in my life so it might as well be now and not in a few years' time" has to be the least wallet-friendly spending policy ever. I can't be the only person that does it.

edit: I say 'very cheap' but I mean 'not really all that cheap but still about $700 off list price'.

If you can get that axe out the door for less that 600 bones then I would say go for it. The neck alone is worth the price of admission on the prestige guitars. As long as you won't miss the additional pickups, then that axe would be a good one. The tremolo on an older model would be fine- those had the Edge III it looks like. They're alright- I personally don't care for the way the arm feels on them, and many hardcore Ibanez guys don't like them, but that's compared to the old units which are pretty much flawless. That doesn't mean you won't like it- they work fine as long as you're not a total lunatic with the whammy bar. I just got a 2008 RG2550, and yeah- the Edge Zero is pretty neat, but it's not perfect like the original Edge/LoPro edge units were. I put up a review in the review thread if you want a little more info.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Concatenation posted:

That was the justification for my PRS and my Gretsch. $3,800 later...

No regrets, though.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o
My parents must have been thinking the same thing when they bought me a Les Paul. I'm using it now too, albeit to a far lesser degree, to justify the Ibanez Musician I'm almost certainly going to buy. Playing on great gear like that does add incentive and makes you feel good to boot.

Don't get down on yourself negatively for being 'undeserving', ever.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
God drat I want to find a Musician. I've been watching eBay for like the past two months and it seems they've been steadily increasing in price. Two months ago they were going around $300 and up. Now I rarely see one go below $600. Really makes me wish I would have just bought one on impulse instead of waiting.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

My philosophy has always been "If it gets you to play even 5 extra minutes a day, then it's worth it." It's served me well over the years.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Thanks for the advice guys, and thanks for the review Gramps. I'm definitely going to be broke when I buy it, but that 'new gear' feeling is totally worth it.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

PoorPeteBest posted:

God drat I want to find a Musician. I've been watching eBay for like the past two months and it seems they've been steadily increasing in price. Two months ago they were going around $300 and up. Now I rarely see one go below $600. Really makes me wish I would have just bought one on impulse instead of waiting.

Yeah, I'm probably going to end up paying $600 plus some extremely killer shipping. It doesn't matter though because I've struck loving gold in the form of a pink, left handed Ibanez Musician.

noblystabbed
Jun 25, 2006

talls.donjis.com
$440, includes rack :dance:

Edit: this came in the mail yesterday:

It plays real nice, but it's suffers from neck-dive :(

noblystabbed fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 24, 2008

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Mr. WTF posted:

Yeah...I've wanted one since they came out, but the purple and silverburst were awful. Green ones just hit stores...so great the guitar center guy conversation:
'do you have green robot les pauls'
'no they aren't out'
'I see them on the web - pictures'
'that's people using a kit, they don't make them'
'doesn't look like a kit'
'they aren't making them, we're the only Gibson dealer ever and I know the guy that makes them with his own fingers and I called him, you don't know poo poo, and they aren't out.'
'well call me if you find one'
calls 2 hours later
'I have a silverburst one in arizona'
'thanks dude, I found a green one about 20 miles north, I'm buying it'
'what?!'
click

Par for the loving course with Guitar Center douchenozzles. That entire chain is a joke. I went into one last year to ask if they had Hohner Special 20 harmonicas in the key of E flat. The special-ed moron at the counter told me there was no such thing as flat/sharp key harmonicas, and I must be thinking of chromatic harmonicas. I told him that he was wrong and he got belligerent and angry and started arguing with me. Another case of where looking at his own company's website would have proven me right. I've been blowing harp for 12 years, so I know what the gently caress I'm talking about.

noblystabbed
Jun 25, 2006

talls.donjis.com

AstroZamboni posted:

Par for the loving course with Guitar Center douchenozzles. That entire chain is a joke. I went into one last year to ask if they had Hohner Special 20 harmonicas in the key of E flat. The special-ed moron at the counter told me there was no such thing as flat/sharp key harmonicas, and I must be thinking of chromatic harmonicas. I told him that he was wrong and he got belligerent and angry and started arguing with me. Another case of where looking at his own company's website would have proven me right. I've been blowing harp for 12 years, so I know what the gently caress I'm talking about.
Sounds like the guy that told me Gallien-Krueger "only made the 800RB from '85 to '98." :rolleyes:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

noblystabbed posted:

$440, includes rack :dance:

Edit: this came in the mail yesterday:

Nice. I love Guilds.

Get a wide leather or padded strap for it. Should help with the neckdive some.

noblystabbed
Jun 25, 2006

talls.donjis.com

3toes posted:

Nice. I love Guilds.

Get a wide leather or padded strap for it. Should help with the neckdive some.
Thanks! It's a '78.

I'm thinking about putting weights near the jack on the body, but I don't know how to do that yet. Thinking of maybe under the bridge. Your idea is a LOT easier though.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Some better pictures of my kit, this includes getting a clamp and mounting my 10" to a cymbal stand, making everything way more accessible.

I'm in love. :swoon:

noblystabbed posted:

Thanks! It's a '78.

I'm thinking about putting weights near the jack on the body, but I don't know how to do that yet. Thinking of maybe under the bridge. Your idea is a LOT easier though.

I've played bass for half of my life and had never heard of neckdive, so I googled it. And found this. This guy fixed it by putting a 2nd strap screw near the neck of the bass.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/

Of couse that requires drilling holes and whatnot, so I wouldn't really suggest that a whole lot.

Zombies magazine fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 25, 2008

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

noblystabbed posted:

Those basses are awesome, one of the warmest basses I've ever played. My old singer used to have one, apparently it belonged to Rick James.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Wanna talk about an awesome score? Some guy gave me these today for free. Both of them. He's leaving the country and just wanted to get rid of them. He is the man.

That's a Boss Blues Overdrive and a DOD Grunge. Need to get a boss adapter, but they're both in good condition, and that Grunge pedal actually sounds a lot better than I expected it to.

And here they be, hanging out with the rest of the crew.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Decided to pick this up to replace my Ibanez GIO

Stop Motion Dong
Jun 11, 2007
About to buy the Ibanez RG1527 Prestige and a Pod X3. Hopefully I'll post some pics soon :). I can't wait to try it out.

StevieRayVonEric
Nov 15, 2005

by Fragmaster

Weird BIAS posted:

MXL 990/MXL 991 mic package

I'm actually surprised at how good these sound. The MXL 990 has a shockingly even frequency range that doesn't sound too bright or too boomy. Good choice.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Capc posted:

Decided to pick this up to replace my Ibanez GIO

Nice Joe Osborn sig. How do you like it?

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?
Just bought this bad boy. Just got an email back from Fred Hammon about getting a Darkstar put in it. Plays really fast underhand and is balaned really nice like.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stop Motion Dong posted:

About to buy the Ibanez RG1527 Prestige and a Pod X3. Hopefully I'll post some pics soon :). I can't wait to try it out.

Post some clips to, I'd love to hear how much better it sounds than my rg7321!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Revolver posted:

Just bought this bad boy. Just got an email back from Fred Hammon about getting a Darkstar put in it. Plays really fast underhand and is balaned really nice like.

I've never seen grain like that on a fretboard.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
My drums. Allegra is a custom company out of Oregon, who makes, apart from their own kits, the ddrum USA Custom Shop kits. The "new" part is the crash and ride cymbal. They sound excellent. Picked them up at the GC memorial day sale.

Since I have new cymbals, I want to get rid of my old ones. PM me if you're interested.

FreakingNeo
Jun 25, 2003

Night Rhythms
i ordered this 5 months ago, and i finally got it last week!
'59 Dano 2007 reissue

really happy with it :)

FreakingNeo fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 26, 2008

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

FreakingNeo posted:

'59 Dano 2007 reissue

really happy with it :)

have you played it at high volumes yet? i always had feedback issues with the lipsticks on my longhorn.

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.
That Danelectro made me involuntarily say "Daaamn", looks amazing.

Got this a few weeks ago and it's amazing so far:

FreakingNeo
Jun 25, 2003

Night Rhythms

Revolver posted:

have you played it at high volumes yet? i always had feedback issues with the lipsticks on my longhorn.
no not yet but i'll try that tomorrow. it can't be much worse than on my artcore, that thing is a feedback monster

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

3toes posted:

Nice Joe Osborn sig. How do you like it?

I like it a lot so far. Worlds apart from my old bass.

Lord Nibbler
Feb 13, 2008

by angerbotSD

FreakingNeo posted:

no not yet but i'll try that tomorrow. it can't be much worse than on my artcore, that thing is a feedback monster

Wow this is crazy... my buddy just bought an artcore and then two weeks later his Danelectro (same as yours) arrived in the mail. From what I've experienced when we jam is the artcore was getting much more feedback, and as long as you fiddle with the tone and/or volume knobs on the Dan, it shouldn't feedback as much on high volumes.

noblystabbed
Jun 25, 2006

talls.donjis.com

West Ham Sandwich posted:

I've played bass for half of my life and had never heard of neckdive, so I googled it. And found this. This guy fixed it by putting a 2nd strap screw near the neck of the bass.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/

Of couse that requires drilling holes and whatnot, so I wouldn't really suggest that a whole lot.
I taped it to the same spot that the strap screw would have been and it didn't help much :( .

The Book I Read posted:

That Danelectro made me involuntarily say "Daaamn", looks amazing.

Got this a few weeks ago and it's amazing so far:

I had an orange one of those and it was amazingly playable for a ~$300 guitar.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

FreakingNeo posted:

'59 Dano 2007 reissue

Aw man. I had such a hard time not snagging one of those of Musician's Friend. They were going for so cheap and seemed like incredible fun. Let me know how you like it. I'm quite jealous (you disposable income people...)

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
One of my more recent purchases:

It's an Electra X610 bass from the 80's. By far the coolest feature is the effects boxes

... which actually plug right into the back of the bass, and can be turned on and off from the controls on the front. Apparently there are like 12 different effects boxes in all, although the bass only came with 2.

It makes a nice addition to the family...

(Not pictured: another Ibanez, a Charvel, and a few other random cheap guitars).

Another new piece of equipment...

Why yes, that is a tube powered metronome. A total win for geek points, even though it takes about 10 seconds to warm up. The volume is controlled by a screw in the back.

I'll post my latest purchase up here when it arrives...

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

You sellin that butterfly bass? ....

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster

Got it for $250, out the door. Not only does it get crazy loud AND have better-than-expected onboard effects, I might be able to make a small profit by selling the two mixers and the power amp that it's replacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trellio
Feb 18, 2007

by Ozma
pt. 1:
pt. 2:

I made a piezo pickup today for my acoustic. It was five dollars and actually sounds okay. It's too late to record anything proper, but I intend on getting some stuff down on my computer tomorrow.