Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

StevieRayVonEric posted:

I'm actually surprised at how good these sound. The MXL 990 has a shockingly even frequency range that doesn't sound too bright or too boomy. Good choice.

Good to hear, I really can't wait to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

websterandwebster
Feb 20, 2007
new purchase today. I'm excited.

mmmmmm casey goodness. Who could it be?

Who else?

ohhhhh yes.

My, it was worth the wait and the extra 700 bucks we Australians have to pay.

I don't think I'll need another guitar ever...If only that were true. It is a nice addition to my growing collection though.

6 month old Washburn D10s and year old les paul studio.

Also some of my pedal collection so far. Got the Blues Driver about a week ago. It's the Keeley mod version. Getting some sweet tones out of it so far.

Dr. Video Games 0032
Oct 4, 2006

D:

websterandwebster posted:

Also some of my pedal collection so far. Got the Blues Driver about a week ago. It's the Keeley mod version. Getting some sweet tones out of it so far.

Oh man the Keely mod version owns, I need to get one like that.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Who else?

ohhhhh yes.
:fap::flashfap::gizz:unnngghhhhh

I'm amazed at how light it is, the basswood makes a serious difference compared to my mahogany RG. The pickup is pretty good, the neck is loving amazing and I'm stunned at the level of craftsmanship. Those Japanese dudes really know what they're doing. The factory setup job is great too.

Only (minor) criticisms:
+ The Wizard I neck is 2mm wider at the nut than the wizard IIs that I've been playing for years, and you can actually feel the difference. It's not major but it's noticeable; I'm sure I'll get used to it.
+ It's a bolt-on; Ibanez only make one neck-thru Prestige model, for some inexplicable reason.
+ That volume knob looks like rear end. Seriously, it's like getting a leggy brunette with bedroom eyes, in a bikini on the beach at sunset, and then you realise she's got a goatee.

edit: Thanks for the pointers Gramps, I am ridiculously happy with this guitar, even though I'm now totally broke.

Concatenation fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 27, 2008

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Concatenation posted:

I'm amazed at how light it is, the basswood makes a serious difference compared to my mahogany RG. The pickup is pretty good, the neck is loving amazing and I'm stunned at the level of craftsmanship. Those Japanese dudes really know what they're doing. The factory setup job is great too.

Only (minor) criticisms:
+ The Wizard I neck is 2mm wider at the nut than the wizard IIs that I've been playing for years, and you can actually feel the difference. It's not major but it's noticeable; I'm sure I'll get used to it.
+ It's a bolt-on; Ibanez only make one neck-thru Prestige model, for some inexplicable reason.
+ That volume knob looks like rear end. Seriously, it's like getting a leggy brunette with bedroom eyes, in a bikini on the beach at sunset, and then you realise she's got a goatee.

edit: Thanks for the pointers Gramps, I am ridiculously happy with this guitar, even though I'm now totally broke.

That is drat nice, but yeah, I'd definatly be reaplacing that knob it it was me.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Concatenation posted:

Ibanez must have a massive overstock of generic volume buttons because they seem to put them on a lot of guitars even if they are totally out of place. A nice black metal volume dial will make the guitar look ever-so-slightly more fantastic than it does now.

While I don't jump between pickups with alarming regularity, I like having a neck humbucker for a varied tonal pallete. Will you find it limiting only having a bridge 'bucker?

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I was thinking I'd miss it, but I'm going to use this guitar mostly for heavy stuff which doesn't really need a neck pickup anyway. I actually quite like the resultant clean look (apart from the knob, of course. Anyone know where to get a nicer replacement in Australia?)

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Congrats man! I figured you'd pull the trigger once you played it. If you don't mind me asking, what did you get it for?

Also- feel free to pm me if you need any help doing any kind of setup or tweaking- Ibanez, but especially RGs are my forte.

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.

Concatenation posted:

I was thinking I'd miss it, but I'm going to use this guitar mostly for heavy stuff which doesn't really need a neck pickup anyway. I actually quite like the resultant clean look (apart from the knob, of course. Anyone know where to get a nicer replacement in Australia?)

Possibly a someone on the board could buy and ship it to you if you can't find one in Australia to ship.

No idea if these guys ship to Australia or not, but here's some knobs.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/knobs.html

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Concatenation posted:

You owe it to yourself to get these and be a true playa.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Ah cool, thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it once I have some spare money.

Gramps posted:

Congrats man! I figured you'd pull the trigger once you played it. If you don't mind me asking, what did you get it for?

Also- feel free to pm me if you need any help doing any kind of setup or tweaking- Ibanez, but especially RGs are my forte.

I ended up paying AUD $1600, which sounds like quite a lot (especially with the US dollar as low as it is compared to AUD) but it's pretty good for Australia. RRP for the thing is $2300, most places sell them for about $2100 or $2000, so I'm pretty chuffed at the saving.

Thanks also, I might need your help when I inevitable start downtuning the thing.

beeble
Apr 27, 2004

BEEBLE 09.JUL.14

The glory of the many demands more TECH SUPPORT. I FEEL GLORIOUS!
American special mahogany hss

Its my first guitar good enough to come with a free hardshell case.
The s1 switch doesnt coil tap the humbucker (doesn't do anything in position 5, actually) which is a disappointment but I really like this guitar anyways.

The fingerprints are mostly from guitar center fingers.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Some of you might remember me getting this free Johnson P-bass back over Xmas time from my drummer's little brother:

The neck is so bowed you can hunt game with it. But I figured out that an SX bass neck should fit it pretty close (there may be like a 1/16" gap on each side of the pocket, if at all) so I went ahead and ordered this fretless neck:

Should arrive tomorrow. I also have a red-tort pickguard that I'm going to throw on it.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

websterandwebster posted:

Who else?

oh my...:gizz:, this is my dream guitar

I hope that I can have a similar post by the end of the summer :) But for now, just two pedal impulse buys (thegearpage.net has some crazy good deals in their emporium)

-used this once already, and didnt really like it all that much. I think I want something like an analogman chorus

-great tuner, and never having a stage tuner to compare it with, it works like a dream

-I cant believe I got this pedal so cheap, it sounds great. We will see how long i keep it for...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

-I cant believe I got this pedal so cheap, it sounds great. We will see how long i keep it for...

What kind of price did you get?

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Concatenation posted:

+ That volume knob looks like rear end.

I don't know. I like those knobs on guitars like that (superstrat-esque guitars). It keeps a guitar from looking too classy, and no guitar like that should ever look too classy, in my opinion; it just gives off a weird vibe when it is. Those generic volume knobs give it kind of an Eddie Van Halen "I kick rear end but I promise I'll be humble when I kick your rear end" feeling.

Most parts vendors carry replacement knobs, and you can get them with varying types of designs (skull knobs, nice pearl/abalone inlayed metal knobs, wooden knobs, engraved metal knobs). Just expect to shell out whatever the aussie equivalent of about $20 USD is for some decent knobs. You can spend less, but usually companies sell their nice knobs in packages of 2s or 3s or simply charge out the rear end for them.

edit: Here is a good dealer of knobs for your region. They are the NZ and Aussie distributor for Allparts, which is a solid loving parts company.

Dragon Eye Morrison fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 27, 2008

StevieRayVonEric
Nov 15, 2005

by Fragmaster

Weird BIAS posted:

Good to hear, I really can't wait to try it out.

I've had one right next to a Neuman U87 and while there was a difference it wasn't a $3000.00 difference and you definitely wont notice in a home recording environment. Honestly, it's a great bargain.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

3toes posted:

What kind of price did you get?

90 bucks shipped. it was used, but the guy said he had something like 5 hours max on the pedal. Not a bad deal IMHO

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

oh my...:gizz:, this is my dream guitar

I hope that I can have a similar post by the end of the summer :) But for now, just two pedal impulse buys (thegearpage.net has some crazy good deals in their emporium)

-used this once already, and didnt really like it all that much. I think I want something like an analogman chorus

I've got some GREAT deals at the gear page over the last few years. It's a great opportunity to take advantage of other people's buyer's remorse. I'm about to put a Maxon CS-505 on eBay if you maybe would be interested in a little tradin' action.

http://bisti.org/pictures/memorial/cs5051.jpg
http://bisti.org/pictures/memorial/cs5052.jpg
http://bisti.org/pictures/memorial/cs5053.jpg
http://bisti.org/pictures/memorial/cs5054.jpg
http://bisti.org/pictures/memorial/cs5055.jpg

edit: websterandwebster, judging by the sticker on the heel, does that have active pickups or something? Looks sweeeet.

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.
My birthday is coming up this month and I'd appreciate some advice/comments on what to get:

1) Looking to get a synth as I've only been using midi software without an actual controller up until now.

I'm looking for a standalone synth rather than just a controller, so I've got my eye on the Korg R3. It should be within my budget of £500 with a lovely keyboard amp and headphones for now. I really love what I've seen of it so far on Youtube and intend to use it more as a support instrument as the MicroKorg is used by The Killers, so it should be exactly what I need.

Edit: Keyboard amp I'm looking at is this one:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVKB1

Would any other synths be worth consideration/better for my needs and budget?

2) Looking into swapping out some of the hardware on my bass, namely the tuners, knobs and bridge, but possibly the pickups also. Currently playing the model up from this:

I'm in love with the appearance of it other than the rather unapologetically clumsy bolt on job of the neck and the cheesy silver paint on the hardware. Another common criticism is that despite having a pretty solid tone, it lacks warmth, so I'm reading through the pickup thread for ideas for replacements.

I trust a local guitar tech to help me out with actual work of installing the parts, so that wouldn't be a problem. However, I've got no idea what bridges would fit it or if certain tuners only fit certain headstocks or whatever. Any explanation to this end would be much appreciated!

Double Edit:

The nut on my bass is black and matches it, unlike the one in the picture.

The Book I Read fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 27, 2008

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

bisticles posted:

I've got some GREAT deals at the gear page over the last few years. It's a great opportunity to take advantage of other people's buyer's remorse. I'm about to put a Maxon CS-505 on eBay if you maybe would be interested in a little tradin' action.

http://bisti.org/pictures/memorial/cs5051.jpg
http://bisti.org/pictures/memorial/cs5052.jpg
http://bisti.org/pictures/memorial/cs5053.jpg
http://bisti.org/pictures/memorial/cs5054.jpg
http://bisti.org/pictures/memorial/cs5055.jpg

edit: websterandwebster, judging by the sticker on the heel, does that have active pickups or something? Looks sweeeet.

I might be, do you have any sound samples of this guy? What Im looking for is a subtle chorus effect. I can dial this into the CE-20, but it tends to clip as much as Ive played around with it so far. I like the analogman because it has a great tone at the subtle settings. Got to try them out I suppose.

What are you looking for in a trade?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I might be, do you have any sound samples of this guy? What Im looking for is a subtle chorus effect. I can dial this into the CE-20, but it tends to clip as much as Ive played around with it so far. I like the analogman because it has a great tone at the subtle settings. Got to try them out I suppose.

What are you looking for in a trade?

Ah, probably better to go with the analogman, then. The CS505 is more like a CE-2, or the chorus from a jazz chorus amp.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

bisticles posted:

Ah, probably better to go with the analogman, then. The CS505 is more like a CE-2, or the chorus from a jazz chorus amp.

cool. thanks for the tip

In the spirit of on-topic posts:

Forgot to add one other impulse buy from last week, which I was strangely surprised with how much I liked them...I bought the "screamer" pick. Its a little pricey, but they are quite nice...worth a shot (https://www.v-picks.com)

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Forgot to add one other impulse buy from last week, which I was strangely surprised with how much I liked them...I bought the "screamer" pick. Its a little pricey, but they are quite nice...worth a shot (https://www.v-picks.com)

The V-picks are pretty nice. At NAMM this year some woman muscled one into my hand, and I keep it in my keychain pickpocket. It's cool, but not worth the money in my opinion. I didn't like it that much then I added a steeper bevel and I like it much more, but I'm not as impressed with its tone as they were saying I'd be. The best part of it is the feel of the material. It's completely smooth but it doesn't slip at all.

Maybe I just didn't like the one I got, they only had like 4 different styles for demo and they said this is the one that matched my playing style. But I hardly ever use my V-pick anymore and keep going back to either my bone pick or my Blue Chip pick or my old faithful .8 mm Clayton Teardrop Delrins.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Book I Read posted:

2) Looking into swapping out some of the hardware on my bass, namely the tuners, knobs and bridge, but possibly the pickups also. Currently playing the model up from this:

I'm in love with the appearance of it other than the rather unapologetically clumsy bolt on job of the neck and the cheesy silver paint on the hardware. Another common criticism is that despite having a pretty solid tone, it lacks warmth, so I'm reading through the pickup thread for ideas for replacements.

I trust a local guitar tech to help me out with actual work of installing the parts, so that wouldn't be a problem. However, I've got no idea what bridges would fit it or if certain tuners only fit certain headstocks or whatever. Any explanation to this end would be much appreciated!

Double Edit:

The nut on my bass is black and matches it, unlike the one in the picture.

Well first off... what is it?

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

3toes posted:

Well first off... what is it?

poo poo, sorry, no idea how I omitted that. It's an Aria IGB50, specs halfway down this page:

http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/The__IGB__Series_by_Aria.html

I'm not really intrested in a new bass entirely as this one is rediculously playably, just in tidying it up aesthetically and some new pickups.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

noblystabbed posted:

Edit: this came in the mail yesterday:

It plays real nice, but it's suffers from neck-dive :(

So you're the guy who bought this, beautiful! The right strap can reduce the neck dive. How's it play and sound?

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Put 12ax7's in this

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

And I bought it from a goon!

noblystabbed
Jun 25, 2006

talls.donjis.com

Alfa Tard posted:

So you're the guy who bought this, beautiful! The right strap can reduce the neck dive. How's it play and sound?
I had my suspicions that you were a TB'er hahaha!

What's "the right strap?" I play punk mostly, so my cotton-woven thingy'd look way weird. The bass plays reeeeeeeally well. Haven't hooked 'er up to an amp yet, but that'll come tomorrow night :dance:

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

noblystabbed posted:

I had my suspicions that you were a TB'er hahaha!

What's "the right strap?" I play punk mostly, so my cotton-woven thingy'd look way weird. The bass plays reeeeeeeally well. Haven't hooked 'er up to an amp yet, but that'll come tomorrow night :dance:

I just bought a basic wide leather strap, and the thing clings to my shirt. It'll keep my guitar wherever I want it. Way better than the normal fabric one I had before that which slid all over the place.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

West Ham Sandwich posted:

You sellin that butterfly bass? ....

Well, I wasn't planning on it but.. with all my recent purchases I might consider it. What's your offer?

(it's in mint condition, with original Daisy gig bag).

Speaking of which, I randomly came across this on craigs list today and thought "drat, that's a good price."

American Standard Jazz. ...and I haven't even received the other guitar I ordered yet. My wife is going to kill me.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Say what you will about Behringer, but these monitors are pretty good.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Imaduck posted:

Well, I wasn't planning on it but.. with all my recent purchases I might consider it. What's your offer?

(it's in mint condition, with original Daisy gig bag).

Speaking of which, I randomly came across this on craigs list today and thought "drat, that's a good price."

American Standard Jazz. ...and I haven't even received the other guitar I ordered yet. My wife is going to kill me.

I'm not sure I'm serious, because I'm kind of short on cash and more so working on finishing my drum needs, but I just figured it would be absolutely incredible to play a show with that.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

West Ham Sandwich posted:

I'm not sure I'm serious, because I'm kind of short on cash and more so working on finishing my drum needs, but I just figured it would be absolutely incredible to play a show with that.
Yeah, I actually got it as kind of a joke. I saw it in a pawn shop like, 2 years ago, and then I saw it again a few months ago. I figured if it had already sat there that long, then they'd have to deal, so I jokingly offered them something pathetic like $100, and they sold it! The thing is mint too - it even had its original plastic on the pick guard and everything. I guess someone got it as a present and was too embarrassed to play it.

The most surprising thing is it actually sounds pretty good, especially for a bass in that price range. Most short scales tend to have a really deep sound, but this one has just the right amount of deepness that makes it really cut through. The neck plays like a dream, and the pickups are pretty good. The craftsmanship is impressive, although the butterfly graphic is a little cheap. That thing has really grown on me.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Imaduck posted:

Yeah, I actually got it as kind of a joke. I saw it in a pawn shop like, 2 years ago, and then I saw it again a few months ago. I figured if it had already sat there that long, then they'd have to deal, so I jokingly offered them something pathetic like $100, and they sold it! The thing is mint too - it even had its original plastic on the pick guard and everything. I guess someone got it as a present and was too embarrassed to play it.

The most surprising thing is it actually sounds pretty good, especially for a bass in that price range. Most short scales tend to have a really deep sound, but this one has just the right amount of deepness that makes it really cut through. The neck plays like a dream, and the pickups are pretty good. The craftsmanship is impressive, although the butterfly graphic is a little cheap. That thing has really grown on me.

If you ever wanted to donate it to a metalcore band that would use it for a show then send it back, along with pictures, then you know where to find me. :shobon:

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

cool. thanks for the tip

In the spirit of on-topic posts:

I bought one of these in a special they had at one time. It was a certain run off - 2 for 10 bucks. It wasn't the grippy one, which is a more expensive run for them to produce. The picks are great. They sound very different, and with one, very much like fingers than picks. The other, hard and crisp. However, I grip too hard on the pick to keep it in my hand over time and it gets tiring. When that happens, I go back to my Dunlop nylon picks of various sizes.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
I don't get the V-Pick thing, watching the videos on the site it sounds like an uncomfortably thick pick.

noblystabbed
Jun 25, 2006

talls.donjis.com

Capitan Dad posted:

I don't get the V-Pick thing, watching the videos on the site it sounds like an uncomfortably thick pick.
Watching the videos on the site made me never want one ever. That guy's a ham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Capitan Dad posted:

Yeah, pretty much. This is absurd http://www.v-picks.com/Colassal.html A 9.66mm pick. what the gently caress. I can understand the 3.0mm stubbies, but why do you need something too thick to fit between the strings?