Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trellio
Feb 18, 2007

by Ozma

hamaien posted:

Yeah, pretty much. This is absurd http://www.v-picks.com/Colassal.html A 9.66mm pick. what the gently caress. I can understand the 3.0mm stubbies, but why do you need something too thick to fit between the strings?

I just saw that. the only real situation that could be even usable is with a bass, and even still, it's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Trellio posted:

I just saw that. the only real situation that could be even usable is with a bass, and even still, it's ridiculous.

"Tone! Tone! Tone!" and other things from the website really give a snake-oil vibe to a lot of their products. I just use these:

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/PK15-H/GRY.htm

Solid buggers with crazy good grip, for bass and guitar.

noblystabbed
Jun 25, 2006

talls.donjis.com
These are what I've been using since they were released a few years ago. Freakin' sweet. After using them for a while I went back to regular Dunlop heavies and actually noticed the smallest difference in tone. Wasn't a good or bad switch, just a little different.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.
I'm a fairly heavy-handed picker, so I've used these bad boys for as long as I can remember... usually I go with the purple 1.14 mm ones. My other guitarist uses brass picks, and I think he's drat psychotic for it.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

FlossMan posted:

I'm a fairly heavy-handed picker, so I've used these bad boys for as long as I can remember... usually I go with the purple 1.14 mm ones. My other guitarist uses brass picks, and I think he's drat psychotic for it.

I use the orange ones... Can't remember what size they are because I chew on my picks and all the writing is worn off every single one.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

hamaien posted:

I use the orange ones... Can't remember what size they are because I chew on my picks and all the writing is worn off every single one.

Is it sad that I dig through my picks to find one that hasn't had the thickness worn off by my thumbs? Either my sweat is loving corrosive, or I grip the picks with the force of an alligator's jaws. I can't decide which it is.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Tried and true :

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

hamaien posted:

Yeah, pretty much. This is absurd http://www.v-picks.com/Colassal.html A 9.66mm pick. what the gently caress. I can understand the 3.0mm stubbies, but why do you need something too thick to fit between the strings?

Gypsy swing rhythm players would like this, maybe. The thickest picks I've ever seen have been used by gypsy players but even this is a little ridiculous.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

pennywisdom posted:

Tried and true :

Amen, brother. Only mine look like this:

I'm 6'2" and have hands to match so I like having a fair bit of index finger real estate available on a pick.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

I got a pack of these for free and I love them. Tough to find them in stores though. The grip is nice, and isn't too rubbery to keep you from sliding the pick around between your fingers if you need to adjust.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Engine Fortegue posted:

Gypsy swing rhythm players would like this, maybe. The thickest picks I've ever seen have been used by gypsy players but even this is a little ridiculous.
Yeah, this was the only thing I could think of. Michael Wegen specializes in gypsy jazz picks (which are pretty great imo), and he still doesn't come close to 9mm.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

All I need. :colbert: Well, for bass.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

All I use, baby.

noblystabbed
Jun 25, 2006

talls.donjis.com

West Ham Sandwich posted:

All I need. :colbert: Well, for bass.
:aaa: I must have them!

Played that Guild that I posted for the first time tonite. Fits PERFECTLY in my punk rock group. Real old-timey and cuts like a knife!

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

noblystabbed posted:

:aaa: I must have them!

Played that Guild that I posted for the first time tonite. Fits PERFECTLY in my punk rock group. Real old-timey and cuts like a knife!

They're like 10 grand a pop bro. :whatup:

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

pennywisdom posted:

Tried and true :

.88 for me.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Engine Fortegue posted:

yeah, I thought the same thing. the site also claims that it reduces hand fatigue.

All in all, I like the pick and the feel it has, plus how brightly it sounds when you play because its hard plastic...but I wouldn't spend money on them again. I like my ultex .7 (whatever's) just the same.

the sheer number of styles is a little ridiculous....

Yay dunlop

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

pennywisdom posted:

Tried and true :

I always find these way too large, especially for tremolo picking. Black Gold Jazz all the way:

edit: Whoa, what are these crazy shaped ones used for?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Concatenation posted:

My guess is for a different tone when it hits the string.

krisis
Oct 25, 2003

i have a light case of asparagus.

3mm, big chunky fast picks. If you play any kind of fast metal, you'll love these.

^^ the sharkfin is for running down the strings when you're doing chords. Acoustic players seems to get a "fuller" chord with them

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Concatenation posted:

Big ol' pick slides, for when your punk song is running out of steam and you need to do something cool and different to justify repeating everything again in a few seconds.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Okay, so when are we gonna move this thread over to PYF and rename it "PYF Plectrum"?

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

Concatenation posted:

I always find these way too large, especially for tremolo picking. Black Gold Jazz all the way:

Aren't those ukulele picks?

krisis
Oct 25, 2003

i have a light case of asparagus.

AstroZamboni posted:

Okay, so when are we gonna move this thread over to PYF and rename it "PYF Plectrum"?

Seeing as a bunch of people regularly buy picks, and picks fall into the category of gear, we're still on topic!

In a minute this thread will turn into PYF strings

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Concatenation posted:

I've got some of those. They're not for pickslides or ukelele, but for strumming. Gives kind of a 12 string/chorus-ish effect. Overall, not that great, just get a chorus pedal or a 12 string if you want that sound.

Out Of Band
May 2, 2002

HI I AM A CLAM
Crappy phone picture, but my Korg M3 finally came. :v: It is truly a fantastic piece of gear.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

krisis posted:

In a minute this thread will turn into PYF strings

Catgut. :whatup:

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Just got this and it's awesome.

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!
So I have this Dean ML and I really love it, but the Dimebucker it has just really isn't my thing. I sure would like to try one of those nifty X2N's everyone talks about.

Oh whats that? You'll trade a Dimebucker for an X2N? Yes please!

Thanks Dean Guitar Forum guy. You rule.

I'll be installing this probably this weekend. I have a Bare Knuckle Warpig installed at the moment because I couldn't stand to see my poor guitar with a giant hole inside it.

Review will come later.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Oh snap, please post audio clips if you can, I've always wondered what the X2N sounds like, and the Dimarzio website has pretty crappy sound clips.

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!
I'll do my best but I don't have any recording gear. I'll try and use the line out on my amp and see if it sounds any good.

titpussyasscum
Dec 2, 2004

every time i come here i get lost as fuck

A pair of Grado SR80's

Open-air, supra-aural $100 range headphones.

Ask me how necessary this purchase is.

Canned Weenies
Oct 29, 2000
Forum Veteran

titpussyasscum posted:

A pair of Grado SR80's

Open-air, supra-aural $100 range headphones.

Ask me how necessary this purchase is.
Unless you already had better Grados, probably very necessary. I have these and they sound awesome, but after an hour or so they kill your ears.

My latest purchases are 2x gfs crunchy PAFs (zebra), 1 telecaster humbucker bridge, the necessary electronics, and a Warmoth 24 3/4" conversion scale rosewood neck. Everything is installed except the neck. Should be pretty rad once it's done.

Deathscythe
Jun 4, 2001

Zoom Zoom
heres my strat, I changed the pickguard and the pickups. It's a mexican strat just like everyone else.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

titpussyasscum
Dec 2, 2004

Canned Weenies posted:

I have these and they sound awesome, but after an hour or so they kill your ears.

Do they kill your ears moreso than your typical supra-aural headphones? The review I read mentioned that they are more comfortable than most headphones that sit on your ears.

I would love something that sits around the ears. From what I have read, the Grado's have superior sound for the price, and a pair of circum-aural headphones matching that quality of sound would cost a lot more.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
bleep blorp bleep blorp sorry for the lovely cameraphone picture bleep blorp

Midipeds board acquired! Next step is to order a 20-pack of arcade buttons, and make a trip to Home Depot to build the chassis.

The plan is to have a midi footpedal with which to trigger my micron with while playing bass. :q:

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

titpussyasscum posted:

Do they kill your ears moreso than your typical supra-aural headphones? The review I read mentioned that they are more comfortable than most headphones that sit on your ears.

I would love something that sits around the ears. From what I have read, the Grado's have superior sound for the price, and a pair of circum-aural headphones matching that quality of sound would cost a lot more.

Paging Agreed to the thread!

I've briefly tried a pair of Grados and they are quite comfy for supra-aurals. From what I remember they have quite light pressure on your ear, the only thing that I think might be annoying is the roughness of the foam pads against your ears.

I'm not sure about their sound quality relative to the Grados, but the Audio Technica AD700s are around the same price range and are open circum-aurals. They are quite highly recommended in a number of places because of their quality:price ratio.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Concatenation posted:

Audio Technica AD700s
I have some (ATH-AD700 is the model on mine; I think that that's the same) and I really like them. I mainly listen to jazz, but from what I read before I bought them, they're at least near the top in their price range ($110ish from Amazon) for things like classical and jazz. And they're really comfortable; I can wear them for hours without any trouble at all.

I don't know much about headphones, and I can't compare them to anything else. But I'm more than satisfied with them.

titpussyasscum
Dec 2, 2004

Concatenation posted:

I'm not sure about their sound quality relative to the Grados, but the Audio Technica AD700s are around the same price range and are open circum-aurals. They are quite highly recommended in a number of places because of their quality:price ratio.

I just read a user review on the AD700s that said that they are lacking in bass a little bit. Is this also true of the Grado's? This concerns me a little bit.

Agreed come iTT and talk to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Weenies
Oct 29, 2000
Forum Veteran

titpussyasscum posted:

It's probably not a matter of the headphones so much as the head. I don't have a freakish watermelon head or anything, but they put a lot of pressure on my ears after a couple hours. I suppose it's a matter of individual fit. They really do sound great, I use them for everything.