Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dingis Khan
Mar 4, 2004
I spent the last weekend driving around in this with a buddy in Central Washington.

Was a great set of trails, I'm really thinking that a Jeep is in my future. Bonus points in the second picture for an FJ which actually sees dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinon
Sep 28, 2005

Braincloud posted:

It's actually a Ramsey in a Warn bumper on the front (Warn on the back too). It came on 35s and chrome wheels which they got rid of and then put the 37s on. And yes, those are real beadlocks on them. I really, really wanted to take it in the woods out on China Hat but there's not a chance in hell that would happen.

But if you happen to see them in Bend, give them a wave. They're the nicest, greatest people in the world and a whole lot of fun to party with. They just really like to have completely excessive vehicles.

Don't worry, I give everyone the Jeep wave when I'm cruising in my wrangler :)

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Is the Jeep wave just for Wranglers? Because no one waves at me.

Maybe they don't know that I drive a Jeep.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Pretty much, yes.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Maybe they don't know that I drive a Jeep.

yeah, be in a cherokee and wave at a wrangler.. The look on their face is like they smelled a 4 day old skunk roadkill.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Veeb0rg posted:

yeah, be in a cherokee and wave at a wrangler.. The look on their face is like they smelled a 4 day old skunk roadkill.

Thats cause a lot of people who drive wranglers are assholes who think they joined some private club.

Thankfully not all of them are, we had a guy at one Jeep gathering talking smack about our Cherokees, and one of the other Wrangler drivers told him to get the gently caress out, that he had driven Cherokees and liked them just as much if not more than his Wrangler.

There is a local guy, Mike Strawbridge, who works on XJs and he has told me stories of place Cherokees can go where wranglers just wallow in the much

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If it looks like a Cherokee that goes offroad (ie, quality work done, or a ton of mud) I'll wave. Otherwise I just assume its another soccermom grocerygetter.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

If it looks like a Cherokee that goes offroad (ie, quality work done, or a ton of mud) I'll wave. Otherwise I just assume its another soccermom grocerygetter.

Y'know some of us offroad stock and CLEAN our cars

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

CommieGIR posted:

Y'know some of us offroad stock and CLEAN our cars

Well how are we supposed to know? I drive a cherokee and I don't wave to other cherokees unless they are built or muddy. Then again I don't wave to stock wranglers either because most of them don't offroad around here.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
I haven't got carpet (and I don't want it of course). I once rode in a friend's Jeep that had a Herculiner lined body tub. Is this a good idea?

edit: I was googling and highly recommend this thread if you haven't seen it before "How do I get Herculiner off my Hootus?!" haha holy poo poo http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18595

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 30, 2008

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Legitimate posted:

I haven't got carpet (and I don't want it of course). I once rode in a friend's Jeep that had a Herculiner lined body tub. Is this a good idea?

Yes. I ripped the carpet out of my cj7 and herculined the interior and it was great. Just don't do a half-assed job of it or it will look bad.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

*is MacGyver irl*

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yes. I ripped the carpet out of my cj7 and herculined the interior and it was great. Just don't do a half-assed job of it or it will look bad.

Can I roll it on and it will look good or should it be sprayed?

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
I tried to get the whole Jeep wave going from this:

But nobody would even notice I was waving to give me a dirty look.

So now I wave from this, and get all sorts of responses except for the douchebags on cell phones:

Also, posterity shot of my awesome pseudo-trunk thing:

And I will give a cookie to the first person to guess when that Wrangler was born.

Edit to add: The Liberty hasn't ever really been "off-road" so to speak, but it has been mudding several times. The Wrangler, while almost stock, has gotten a lot of use out of its sliders.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Legitimate posted:

Can I roll it on and it will look good or should it be sprayed?

Rolled on if you make sure to do plenty of prep work. You need to rough up the paint really well and clean it with some acetone or something before hand. Don't think it will be a quick job.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Dingis Khan posted:

Oh god is that a 4Runner?! Mmmmmmmmmmm, I do miss my Yoter.

Also, where was this? Naches?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Legitimate posted:

Another vote for yes. It's been six years since I did mine, and it looks like I need to retouch over the wheel wells. Other than that, it's held up great. It took a weekend of stripping out everything, scratching up the paint, using Xylene to poison myself, then rolling it on.

Plus I got to drive it from my driveway into my garage like this. Actually, I probably pushed it, but I'd like to think that I drove it for novelty value and maximum safety.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ManicJason posted:

Another vote for yes. It's been six years since I did mine, and it looks like I need to retouch over the wheel wells. Other than that, it's held up great. It took a weekend of stripping out everything, scratching up the paint, using Xylene to poison myself, then rolling it on.

Plus I got to drive it from my driveway into my garage like this. Actually, I probably pushed it, but I'd like to think that I drove it for novelty value and maximum safety.

I drove mine like that. I drat near put it through the back wall, it was the most awkward position possible (cant stand because you cant get to the pedals). I wont do it again.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

*is MacGyver irl*
I live right on the beach on the pacific coast and this vehicle will be seeing lots of rain, salt, and sand. I'd like to be able to do the "spray it out with a hose" thing after I do the hercu-lining. This might be a stupid question but what else can/should I do to the interior to make it more water friendly?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Legitimate posted:

I live right on the beach on the pacific coast and this vehicle will be seeing lots of rain, salt, and sand. I'd like to be able to do the "spray it out with a hose" thing after I do the hercu-lining. This might be a stupid question but what else can/should I do to the interior to make it more water friendly?

Make sure all your under dash electrical is waterproofed. I would hate for you to spray it out and have your radio short out. I would also spring for water proof speakers if you can afford it.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Holy crap, I didn't realize Herculiner came in colors other than black. Anyone tried one of those?

How does it insulate? I've heard of people using it for a little bit of sound deadening, but that matters little to me because it'll be loud as hell no matter what. Will it keep heat in like the carpet does?

Wasn't there a huge stickied random question megathread or am I imagining this? I lost my non-evap gas cap and replaced with an evap one. How much trouble will this get me into?

Salami Surgeon fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 31, 2008

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

*is MacGyver irl*

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Holy crap, I didn't realize Herculiner came in colors other than black. Anyone tried one of those?

Comes in black as well as red, gray, and white. The wrinkle is that red, gray. and white cost $140 for a gallon kit and the black costs $100 for a gallon kit.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

How does it insulate? I've heard of people using it for a little bit of sound deadening, but that matters little to me because it'll be loud as hell no matter what. Will it keep heat in like the carpet does?

Wasn't there a huge stickied random question megathread or am I imagining this? I lost my non-evap gas cap and replaced with an evap one. How much trouble will this get me into?

It insulates alright, no where near as good as carpet+proper insulation does though. You'll hear a lot more and the heat will come through a lot more, unless you go crazy thick with about 4 coats - that should insulate like carpet would.

Stupid question megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2341562

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Doh, didn't think to actually look for it

Dingis Khan
Mar 4, 2004

Braincloud posted:

Oh god is that a 4Runner?! Mmmmmmmmmmm, I do miss my Yoter.

Also, where was this? Naches?

Hey! Good guess. We were right off of Little Naches Creek rd. Also, it used to be a 4runner.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dingis Khan posted:

Also, it used to be a 4runner.

It still is, it's just better now :D

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Here's my baby (04):

I adore him. It's the only car I've ever really loved but the gas prices are killing me and lately I've been thinking of selling it to get a Prius, which I really don't wanna do, but God, the gas.

Anyway. Maybe someone can help me with an issue I've been having. Someone told me it might be the shock absorbers, but I'm not sure. When I go above 50 in the highway and drive through a pot hole or even a tiny crack on the road, my Jeep starts shaking really bad (feels like the tires are gonna come off or are loose). I have to practically stop in the middle of the highway for it to stop, and then I can start driving again. It's really aggravating and dangerous as hell.

Everyone's been telling me I'm gonna get ripped off if I take it to a mechanic cause I'm a girl. I guess I wanna know if anyone's ever had this issue so I can at least have an idea of what's wrong with it and how much it would cost to fix it. Right now money is a bit tight :(

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Hobo Camp posted:

Here's my baby (04):

I adore him. It's the only car I've ever really loved but the gas prices are killing me and lately I've been thinking of selling it to get a Prius, which I really don't wanna do, but God, the gas.

Anyway. Maybe someone can help me with an issue I've been having. Someone told me it might be the shock absorbers, but I'm not sure. When I go above 50 in the highway and drive through a pot hole or even a tiny crack on the road, my Jeep starts shaking really bad (feels like the tires are gonna come off or are loose). I have to practically stop in the middle of the highway for it to stop, and then I can start driving again. It's really aggravating and dangerous as hell.

Everyone's been telling me I'm gonna get ripped off if I take it to a mechanic cause I'm a girl. I guess I wanna know if anyone's ever had this issue so I can at least have an idea of what's wrong with it and how much it would cost to fix it. Right now money is a bit tight :(

That's the shake of death and off the top of my head I don't know the suspension component that causes it most often, but it can be caused by any number of worn suspension and/or steering items.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Hobo Camp posted:

Jeep death wobble!

Check your track bar. It's the most common source for DW to occur. It could also be a mixture of tire pressures, worn out suspension components, misalignment, unbalanced tires all leading into a bad shake. But more often than not it's a bad or loose track bar.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

MrZig posted:

Jeep death wobble!

Check your track bar. It's the most common source for DW to occur. It could also be a mixture of tire pressures, worn out suspension components, misalignment, unbalanced tires all leading into a bad shake. But more often than not it's a bad or loose track bar.

or a blown/worn steering stablizer

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

All you kids out there...

I need new tires, so broke.

Pacific Rim Job posted:

"I thought Jeeps couldn't go off-road like Hummers. Can they, Mommy?"

I towed out a Hummer this winter who had high centered himself.... backing out of his driveway over the drift from the snowplow.

Sour Grapes fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 3, 2008

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
I got a Cherokee....

...and not a wussy unibody one either. This thing is big, ugly, 8 feet wide, it has a 360 cube V8 with a 4 barrel, dual glasspack exhaust, and a motherfuckin' frame. Pics tomorrow.

Also, someone tell me places to find FSJ poo poo. Thanks.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Hell yeah, baby! That's what I'm talking about! What year and drivetrain?

BJ's Offroad has great performance parts and TeamGrandWagoneer can probably handle most of your resto needs. Between those and the IFSJA forums, you can find any part you could need.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

My dad's new ride. 2.5" Skyjacker lift and a few other odds and ends. More pics here.

http://images2.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/viewall.pl?dir=1079_105157

Oh, and this will be a work truck. He's unsure about whether to lose the chrome or not...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Veeb0rg posted:

or a blown/worn steering stablizer

A blown/worn steering stabilizer should not cause death wobble. A properly working stabilizer can hide DW, but it won't cause it. It's worn out, or out of spec, suspension components.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

RexSS345 posted:

My dad's new ride. 2.5" Skyjacker lift and a few other odds and ends. More pics here.

http://images2.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/viewall.pl?dir=1079_105157

Oh, and this will be a work truck. He's unsure about whether to lose the chrome or not...

If he's going to beat the piss out of it, I'd probably lose the chrome if I were him. It's going to flake off and then rust from underneath. How is driving one of those things? I got in one at a dealership and the clutch pedal had HUGE amounts of movement till it hit the floor, and it felt pretty damned light as well. Something which would take a while to get used to, I'd think.

Speaking of wranglers, what's the general consensus on YJ's? I might sell my '89 XJ and buy a YJ next year. I'd get one with the 4.0L and AX15 only.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Hell yeah, baby! That's what I'm talking about! What year and drivetrain?

BJ's Offroad has great performance parts and TeamGrandWagoneer can probably handle most of your resto needs. Between those and the IFSJA forums, you can find any part you could need.

1974. It has a TH400 automatic, so it is Quadra-Trac. The PO said it has a low-range but he removed the knob you pull to engage it? So I don't know. Are these supposed to have a center diff-lock? How do I engage low and the diff lock if it has one? There are no levers in the floor (column shift auto)?

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Disciple of Pain posted:

1974. It has a TH400 automatic, so it is Quadra-Trac. The PO said it has a low-range but he removed the knob you pull to engage it? So I don't know. Are these supposed to have a center diff-lock? How do I engage low and the diff lock if it has one? There are no levers in the floor (column shift auto)?

Ok. So I found out what the deal is. It has (or should/will) a cable-operated low-range unit on the back of the transfer case. The BW1339 transfer case has a limited slip inside of it. It can be locked, however. Apparently there is a knob in the glove box that controls a vacuum-actuated "EMERGENCY DRIVE" that locks the center diff. Apparently the LSD is good enough that locking the center diff is rarely needed off-road.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

MrZig posted:

Speaking of wranglers, what's the general consensus on YJ's? I might sell my '89 XJ and buy a YJ next year. I'd get one with the 4.0L and AX15 only.

A TJ is a better Jeep all the way around. The YJ has probably the worst ride that I've ever seen. Just about everything in the TJ is an improvement, most notably the suspension and livability.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

ZippySLC posted:

A TJ is a better Jeep all the way around. The YJ has probably the worst ride that I've ever seen. Just about everything in the TJ is an improvement, most notably the suspension and livability.

Yeah. I don't know what it is, but YJs have a worse ride than even the otherwise much less refined CJ7/5/3/2/MBs. Actually a military-sprung M38A1 (military CJ5) probably comes real close, but most of those leafs are sagging by insane amounts after the USFS/ranchers have over-loaded them for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
Alright. Because I love AI so much (and my dog really had to pee) I went out in a god drat monsoon to take pictures of the beast for you guys. Be impressed:

It is free of any serious rust... except for the rockers. Oh god the rockers. They are pretty much gone. At one time someone tried to bondo some fiberglass over the rust holes or something and... it ended poorly. Luckily replacement rockers are $45/side. Not bad, and I'm confident enough in my welding skill to weld them in. That said, until I get and install them... is there any reason why I can't run around with these just cut off? Yes you would be able to see more frame, but do they really DO anything? I'm also thinking of just saying gently caress the rockers and bolting/welding on some 2 or 3 inch steel box-tube. It will save me the problem of loving up my newly repaired rockers on rocks and such.

I think that my transfer case chain might also be slipping. I really got on the gas hard making a left turn going to work and for a moment it felt/sounded like the rear driveshaft came loose and was spiraling into the floor behind me. Obviously it didn't, but it was pretty violent. Although it may have just been wheel hop. With this stiff suspension if might feel like that - my Tacoma will hop the wheels and it can be pretty violent with all that gaining/losing traction over and over.

Edit: oh yeah - $500... and those tires are *brand* new. I could probably get $250 for them. They are pretty nice M+S tires.