Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BAM!
Jun 23, 2007

Bumpon10s posted:

You know, the place where you can rent books. What is that called, the book house?

But it's weird, because the word "book" isn't in "library."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eb
May 6, 2003
The May 12 episode of TACS is pretty good. Includes DAG.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
I know this is an odd request, and I don't expect people to go searching. But I'm looking for a quote from Dr. Drew about how people aren't all that unique, and that dealing with trauma will manifest certain and clear signs in people. He'll usually say something to that effect when he's explaining how they can gamble based on someone's voice or story. So if you guys run across a show with one of those, I would appreciate if you would post the date.

Bonus points if it includes the bit about how it goes against the American notion that everyone is "special."

E: Just to be clear I'm not looking for one specific instance, just something in the area.

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 14, 2008

Shiggen
Apr 8, 2007
The episode with Marylin Manson has that. Also you hear a lot of weird stuff about Manson's past, some things expected and unexpected. 2003-10-08. The whole show dr. drew is trying to crack manson but manson is dodging them and has a hard time gambling on this girl's past near the end of the show.

Iceman
Aug 23, 2003

This may have been pointed out already but this episode is really good: http://shows.lovelinearchive.com/Loveline%20-%202004-02-10%20(Dr.%20Bruce%20and%20Guest%20-%20John%20Mayer).mp3
I usually don't like Bruce episodes but John Mayer is really funny and seems to "get" the show. It's one of the better Lovelines I've listened to in a while.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Rabbi Schmuley Boteach (2001-06-05) is a phenomenal guest. I really wish he would have had a bigger role in the show--definitely would make a great third host. I'm impressed how well he addresses issues and makes some pretty good jokes/analogies.

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.
Rabbi Schmuley was a riot. He has this gentle sensibility and took Aceman's jokes and ran with them completely.

Anyway check this, didn't see it in this thread (?) so I thought I'd let it out:

How to be a Genius Without Even Trying: A Conversation with Adam Carolla

LA Times columnist Meghan Daum deconstructed Adam's sense of humour in a (positive! :-O) article, now he's agreed to come and speak with her at some cultural center.

Everything from "life hammer" rants to junior colleges. 59 minutes :-D

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn
By the way, I didn't see this answered in the thread, but I might have missed it. Regardless:

Someone asked what the song with the kids singing is, the one that Drew sings along to often. It's a segment of "Gossip Folks" by Missy Elliot. Rest of the song is pretty lovely though.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

This is one of the more amazing pieces I've heard.

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.
Forgot to mention: wonderful Danny Bonaduce rant at the end where he basically explains he never wanted Danny in the first place, it wasn't his decision and Danny was basically a corporate's choice douche hired to entertain the dumb people. :cool:

MajorMajor
Nov 11, 2005

Some people say you are Henry Fonda.

The Pantheon posted:

Rabbi Schmuley was a riot. He has this gentle sensibility and took Aceman's jokes and ran with them completely.

Anyway check this, didn't see it in this thread (?) so I thought I'd let it out:

LA Times columnist Meghan Daum deconstructed Adam's sense of humour in a (positive! :-O) article, now he's agreed to come and speak with her at some cultural center.

I was there to see this in person. It was indeed awesome. :c00l:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sept 11, 2003: Nobody is in the studio when the show goes on air.

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
I listened to an episode of loveline because of this thread, downloaded the 44 gb torrent and been listening at work ever since. I'm really fascinated with the way Adam and Drew can dissect a caller almost immediately.

The other day I was talking to a girl at a party who was "involved" with one of my friends. My friend was treating this girl like complete crap but she kept coming back and showing interest. So (after a few drinks), I basically blurt out "Why do you put up with this crap, where's your dad?" I predicted her situation at home and hit the nail right on the head. Her biological father left when she was very young and she hadn't seen him since. My girlfriend says I missed my calling in life since I'm a (nerd) engineer. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I hope I'm not the only rear end in a top hat asking girls "Where's your dad!?"

JeansW
Aug 4, 2004
Yes. Like the jeans...

The Pantheon posted:

Thanks for that link. I really liked what Adam was saying about when people project everything onto other people then nothing is ever their fault and they have no reason to change anything in their life.

Does anyone else have any Adam or Drew recordings outside of Loveline? Any university speaches or other radio shows?

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video

Homers BBBq posted:

I do this ALL THE TIME, although silently. I look at people's behaviors and think "I'll bet their stepfather got to them at a young age" or something like that. I've never actually confronted anyone about it though.

Loveline's also seriously helped me examine my own behavior and has made me analyze why I do certain things. It was (is?) an amazing program, and Adam and Drew deserve a lot more recognition than they get.

Stryker can suck a dick, though.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

JeansW posted:

Thanks for that link. I really liked what Adam was saying about when people project everything onto other people then nothing is ever their fault and they have no reason to change anything in their life.

Does anyone else have any Adam or Drew recordings outside of Loveline? Any university speaches or other radio shows?

I posted this a few pages back, but here it is again:

Here's some links that aren't strictly Loveline related, but I recently found them searching for Adam and Drew on the NPR site. I subscribe to several NPR podcasts, and I love the idea of Adam on NPR shows:

Adam on "Talk of the Nation" discussing why he created "The Man Show" and the idea of "The New Machismo". - Funny because Adam is intellectualizing on NPR and debating with callers and the editor of Details and Spin magazines. Also, he asks a caller for his TV when he says he doesn't watch TV anymore, and he berates a caller who says "The Man Show" leads to rape. You might need a RealAudio alternative to hear it. (47 minutes, January 2000)

Adam discusses Crank Yankers on "All Things Considered" and how it's possible to record the calls. (7 minutes, March 2003)

Dr. Drew on "Fresh Air" - Drew is interviewed about his book "Cracked" and discusses Adam's contribution to Loveline to the brainy NPR audience. About 13 minutes in he starts talking about Adam, and betting on callers. I work in TV, and have shot and edited lots of interviews, and this kind of thing is what makes me think Drew is not a media doctor, but a real doctor. The way he doesn't interrupt the host when she is saying things that he doesn't necessarily agree with, and the way he answers the "hooking up" question shows me that he's not putting on a front to push his show, but really trying to give knowledge to people. Also, his anecdote at the end about discussing sex with his kids is great, and not the sort of thing Adam would put up with on Loveline. (24 minutes, September 2003)

Adam is interviewed on "Morning Edition" about replacing Stern. (4 minutes, January 2006)

Adam is briefly discussed and interviewed about replacing Stern with his own morning show. (5 minutes, April 2006)

The Hammer is reviewed 9:56 in. - Sort of a lukewarm review. (~2 minutes, March 2008)

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Phone posted:

Sept 11, 2003: Nobody is in the studio when the show goes on air.

Stuff like this totally substantiates Anderson's complaints about Loveline being essentially "college radio", but at the same time is the reason why the show is so awesome. No one really gave a poo poo and that made it great.

Dingus Egg
May 23, 2005

Legend has it the world was hatched from a dingus egg.

The Pantheon posted:

This was awesome, really captured Adam's style and wit perfectly.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Riptor posted:

Stuff like this totally substantiates Anderson's complaints about Loveline being essentially "college radio", but at the same time is the reason why the show is so awesome. No one really gave a poo poo and that made it great.

I always loved Adam's rants about how it was a nationally syndicated popular radio show, yet no one ever kept recordings of the show in the studio. That, and the "we'll send you out a windbreaker" thing. Has anyone actually made a Loveline windbreaker? I think that would be a badass idea.

I'm slowly filling the wiki out as I work my way through shows, I encourage others to do the same.
http://lovelinecentral.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.
i-. i would love a loveline windbreaker.
cafepress anyone?

also gw liface. i started, but gotta get some more shows done as i listen to them.

Jagfire
Aug 16, 2003

Boing!
If anyone was just listening to the stream (09-28-2004), a caller named Chloe called in about chasing after older guys. She said she was an actress for independent films, and named one as "Painted Forest," a paintball movie. She then went on to mention she'd tried to date this guy named Shannon...

The Treasure of Painted Forest
Chloe Dykstra
Shannon McKain

Turns out Chloe's pretty hot. She said she was 16 to Adam, so that'd make her 20 now. I don't know where the current Loveline Wiki project is, but maybe someone can add this.

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.
hahahha nice. remember when Mary Carey called? i think that might've been 2003 or 2004. it was really interesting, she went into her bad family problems and like how her father was retarded or something?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

The Pantheon posted:

hahahha nice. remember when Mary Carey called? i think that might've been 2003 or 2004. it was really interesting, she went into her bad family problems and like how her father was retarded or something?

07-27-2003

She and her retarded Dad were also on the Adam Carolla Show (01-23-2008). You should try to find that one, it was painful to listen to.

elwood fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 28, 2008

The Extrapolator
Dec 14, 2006

Now what the fuck are some of these god damn questions?
f

The Extrapolator fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 30, 2016

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

elwood posted:

07-27-2003

She and her retarded Dad were also on the Adam Carolla Show (01-23-2008). You should try to find that one, it was painful to listen to.

Wow, that was surreal to hear after watching Celebrity Rehab. She mentions being a ballerina when she was a kid and Drew suggests she go into treatment for all the the problems caused by her (literally) retarded parents and her issues about sex. She also denies doing any drugs other than diet pills. Little did he know he'd get to know her problems so intimately.

Also it's their first night in the new studio and it gets off to a rocky start.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Homers BBBq posted:

I'm really fascinated with the way Adam and Drew can dissect a caller almost immediately.

It is pretty telling that Drew can hit the nail on the head despite not being a psychologist. I see quite a few people that have experienced trauma daily due to my job/major and they all exhibit predictable patterns of behavior.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Double post.

fishbone
Sep 25, 2003

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER posted:

By the way, I didn't see this answered in the thread, but I might have missed it. Regardless:

Someone asked what the song with the kids singing is, the one that Drew sings along to often. It's a segment of "Gossip Folks" by Missy Elliot. Rest of the song is pretty lovely though.

This is incorrect. The song they play is actually Double Dutch Bus by Frankie Smith. Missy Elliot sampled from it for Gossip Folk.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7kYtliQs0tc

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

fishbone posted:

This is incorrect. The song they play is actually Double Dutch Bus by Frankie Smith. Missy Elliot sampled from it for Gossip Folk.

Oh hey that's cool then. I liked that segment but the rest was terrible.

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.

fishbone posted:

You are correct on where missy got it, it is Double dutch bus, but they use that part of missy's song on the show, not Frankie Smith.

fishbone
Sep 25, 2003

Bumpon10s posted:

You are correct on where missy got it, it is Double dutch bus, but they use that part of missy's song on the show, not Frankie Smith.

I could swear that I heard a show where they discussed the clip in depth with Anderson, and played more for Drew. Maybe that was the only time they played the actual song though.

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

fishbone posted:

I could swear that I heard a show where they discussed the clip in depth with Anderson, and played more for Drew. Maybe that was the only time they played the actual song though.

Yeah listening to the original one it was definitely the segment from Gossip Folks that they played because it had the beat over it. I haven't heard the part you're talking about but it could very well be true.

I still love Drew half-singing along to it though.

"Mewzi hmmm hmmm hmm hmmm mhmm eh zoo? Mah kizzer. Hmm hmm. It's hmm hmm. It's all rizzight."

PaisleyOrangutan
May 26, 2008

by The Finn

Judakel posted:

It is pretty telling that Drew can hit the nail on the head despite not being a psychologist. I see quite a few people that have experienced trauma daily due to my job/major and they all exhibit predictable patterns of behavior.
I think they called this the polar bear theory. When one wants to learn about the behavior of polar bears they don't observe every bear, just like fifty. Then they can accurately predict the behavior of the bear population based on the behavior of those fifty. I believe it was coined in response to people who were offended by Adam and Drew doing this so well. People would be like "You can't know, everybody is unique, etc."

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Three more of my favorite episodes:
Dan Finnerty is a funny guy. They also have a hysterical almond argument.

http://rapidshare.com/files/107364720/Loveline_-_2005-06-01__Guest_-_Dan_Finnerty_.mp3

Cary Elwes & Leigh Whannell make for an AWESOME episode. I love it when guests had never heard the show before, but have a blast doing it once they understand what it is. Their humor goes well with Adams.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119039597/Loveline_-_2004-10-27__Guest_-_Cary_Elwes___Leigh_Whannell_.mp3

And Andy Richter should have been Adams replacement!

http://lovelinecentral.com/mp3/2004/Loveline%20-%202004-05-09%20(Guest%20-%20Andy%20Richter).mp3

And here's a semi-recent episode with Seth Green:

http://rapidshare.com/files/104327062/Seth_Green.mp3

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard

Jubs posted:

Cary Elwes & Leigh Whannell make for an AWESOME episode. I love it when guests had never heard the show before, but have a blast doing it once they understand what it is. Their humor goes well with Adams.

This is awesome. As Adam says "finally guests that have some life in them".

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.
Is anyone still seeding the torrent in the OP, or is there another link?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Homers BBBq posted:

I do this all the time. A friend of mine started dating a girl who set off alarms as soon as I met her. I was really unsurprised when they ended up breaking up shortly afterwards because she had done a whole bunch of chaotic stuff. Turned out that her family was incredibly bad. The very first time I met her I could see her self-destructiveness and people pleasing and I just wanted to pull out a dollar and start gambling.

Astroturf Neckbeard posted:

Loveline's also seriously helped me examine my own behavior and has made me analyze why I do certain things. It was (is?) an amazing program, and Adam and Drew deserve a lot more recognition than they get.
Drew once went in depth explaining about how we reconstruct in the way we live our lives our childhood traumas. It really struck a chord with me and I realized that several times lately when I'd screwed myself in personal and professional situations that it closely resembled some things I'd gone through as a child. I was unconsciously reassembling those situations, and it was doing me no favors. I'm trying to do better now. As soon as I have good insurance it's therapy therapy therapy.

Reciprocator posted:

Is anyone still seeding the torrent in the OP, or is there another link?
Just try googling around, only takes a minute. Look for the big 44ish gig one. I know it's out there somewhere because I'm still seeding it.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Since this thread is getting a little lively again, I'd like to pimp Dr. Drew's other radio show. Dr. Drew Live is a noon-time AM show he host alone, and lately with Bob Forrest on Tuesdays. It's generally more heady than Loveline, and he's talking to a more educated audience than the usual confused teenager he gets on Loveline.

He covers diverse topics on the show, interviewing a Lincoln biographer one hour, then a reporter covering the Democratic primaries the next. Also, he takes Loveline-style calls throughout, but it's refreshing to hear people who actually understand what he's talking about rather than the typical 19-year-old with two kids who Adam used to get so frustrated with.

It's funny, he still does bad radio, I'm constantly amazed how poorly he throws the show to commercial, sometimes obviously talking slowly and saying nothing in order to get to the point where he can go to commercial, but he gets to talk about all the things Adam (and Stryker) wouldn't let him during Loveline, and use big words without having to dumb things down.

You can subscribe to it via iTunes or just listen on the above mentioned website.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Malachi Constant posted:

Wow, that was surreal to hear after watching Celebrity Rehab. She mentions being a ballerina when she was a kid and Drew suggests she go into treatment for all the the problems caused by her (literally) retarded parents and her issues about sex. She also denies doing any drugs other than diet pills. Little did he know he'd get to know her problems so intimately.

Also it's their first night in the new studio and it gets off to a rocky start.

Here is Mary Cary + mum + retarded dad on The Adam Carolla Show:

part 1

part 2

part 3

elwood fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 31, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RitualConfuser
Apr 22, 2008
The archives are great; I haven't listened to the show in years but I'm reminded about Adam's rants frequently.

My favorite loveline moment was when Adam was singing the NO CANNOT HAVE song over the System of a Down song. I was literally in tears after hearing it. The story/rant about the Lebanese (?) restaurant was hilarious by itself but the song put it over the top. Does anyone know exactly which show this was from?

Mq posted:

Is it the one where girls sounds really apathetic and whiny and Adam launches into the rant that goes something like "Jesus, I wonder how people can go through life like this. I reckon people around you get used to it after a while:
- <enthusiastic father voice> Hoooney, breakfast !
- meeeh
-Do you want toast?
- meeeeeh
-Alright!
-mhhhm"

Only it's longer. If anyone knows where this is from it would be greatly appreciated. It was pretty funny.

I thought this was from 2001-06-14 show w/ Patton Oswalt & Brian Posehn but I couldn't find that rant. The caller was Stephanie with the vagina bumps. She had her radio on in the background with the previous nights show playing. It took a few minutes of Adam and Drew repeatedly asking to get her to put her phone up to the radio. She just kept responding with sounds of annoyance or silence.

A couple of other people already mentioned it but the rest of that show itself is also classic. Patton and Adam talking about the The Greaseman is hilarious. Smackey smackey!

• Locked thread