Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

My latest project; a mohair wrap. If you want to keep your sanity, don't knit with hairy yarn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Midnight Sun posted:

My latest project; a mohair wrap. If you want to keep your sanity, don't knit with hairy yarn!

true dat. Back when I started knitting, I got sick of scarves and decided to learn how to knit lace! So I picked some ridiculously complicated pattern (all sorts of crazy cast ons, didn't know how to read charts, etc), and some tiny laceweight fluffy pink mohair (what was I thinking? I dont like pink or fluffy!) and started along my merry way before getting SO FRUSTRATED. To add insult to injury, mohair is super hard/impossible to frog, especially if you suck at knitting, so I just ended up throwing what I had used away...

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I will definitely try some more advanced lace, but NOT with mohair... I have some Kauni yarn that I'll use for something pretty...

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I did the mohair lace thing too, but luckily I quit two pattern repeats in because I could not get the stitch count to stay what it was supposed to be. I'm so lazy I never even tried to frog it. I think it's still on the needles in my stash box.

I'm still tinking my shawl. I did a whole round worth (809 stitches I think) and then I found the mistake (at least one of them) and now I'm pulling out just that row. No way am I going to do another entire round just to get back to where the mistake was made. I'll have a giant float in the back to be my working yarn for re-knitting this row, and then I can just go back and pick up again with the knit even round.

If I don't stab myself in the eye with the needles first.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

This is a fugly nest tote:

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Midnight Sun posted:

This is a fugly nest tote:

Oh! is that knitted or crocheted? I've been looking for a pattern for a knit bag like that for ages (I came into a bunch of kitchen cotton, and one can only make SO MANY WASHCLOTHS)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Micomicona posted:

Oh! is that knitted or crocheted? I've been looking for a pattern for a knit bag like that for ages (I came into a bunch of kitchen cotton, and one can only make SO MANY WASHCLOTHS)
It's knitted, the pattern is here. Elisa's Nest Tote from the purl bee.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Midnight Sun posted:

It's knitted, the pattern is here. Elisa's Nest Tote from the purl bee.

Oh my god, perfect! This is just what I've been looking for. Thanks! I will post pictues when I'm done.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Micomicona posted:

Oh my god, perfect! This is just what I've been looking for. Thanks! I will post pictues when I'm done.
Good luck! :)

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I don't think this is off topic. Mazzmatzz the creator of those cool Doctor Who knits is in trouble.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7400268.stm

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Viewers Like Me posted:

I don't think this is off topic. Mazzmatzz the creator of those cool Doctor Who knits is in trouble.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7400268.stm

Weird. Did she not put the "this is for personal use only!" disclaimer at the bottom? How is she responsible for other people ripping off her pattern and selling it without giving due royalties to the character creators (BBC) and the pattern creator?

fap
Jul 1, 2003

roll you up into my life.
I finished a booga bag around a week ago: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/antipop21/booga-bag
I felted it a little bit more after I took the picture. It was my first time felting anything and I was nervous that I'd overfelt it. Is that possible?

Did anyone see the Yarn Harlot on her book tour that just ended? I saw her in Indy and she was great!

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I'm still tinking my shawl. I did a whole round worth (809 stitches I think) and then I found the mistake (at least one of them) and now I'm pulling out just that row. No way am I going to do another entire round just to get back to where the mistake was made. I'll have a giant float in the back to be my working yarn for re-knitting this row, and then I can just go back and pick up again with the knit even round.

If I don't stab myself in the eye with the needles first.

I realized I hadn't started a new half-pattern repeat in a triangle section of my mohair shawl - 8 rows later. I decided to only tink back 4 rows because I could live with 2 right-side rows being pattern-less. It took me over an hour per row to knit back, and just last night I was able to start reknitting that section. I was hoping to try to finish it in time to wear to the symphony tonight, but obviously that ain't happening.

Mohair! :argh:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Kalista posted:

I realized I hadn't started a new half-pattern repeat in a triangle section of my mohair shawl - 8 rows later. I decided to only tink back 4 rows because I could live with 2 right-side rows being pattern-less. It took me over an hour per row to knit back, and just last night I was able to start reknitting that section. I was hoping to try to finish it in time to wear to the symphony tonight, but obviously that ain't happening.

Mohair! :argh:

Oh God, I feel your pain. I really, really do. I'm still halfway through tinking my stupid thing, and it's not even mohair.

I should have used lighter color yarn, perhaps. Or maybe I should have just thrown myself in front of a bus.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience
Tent and Anniversary sale at Webs in Northampton, MA this weekend! They will also have local farmers selling fleeces and their own yarn nearby. If you are within a few hours, you should make the trip. It's about a 2 hour drive from NH for me. I went to their sale last time and made out like a bandit.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

fap posted:

I finished a booga bag around a week ago: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/antipop21/booga-bag
I felted it a little bit more after I took the picture. It was my first time felting anything and I was nervous that I'd overfelt it. Is that possible?

Did anyone see the Yarn Harlot on her book tour that just ended? I saw her in Indy and she was great!
Your booga bag is so cool!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

What's with the mohair hate? I made a green mohair scarf (see Moss Scarf on my ravelry account, FeedMeACat), and it was no trouble at all. It's boucle and not-very-tight wool that gives me guff.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Pile of Kittens posted:

What's with the mohair hate? I made a green mohair scarf (see Moss Scarf on my ravelry account, FeedMeACat), and it was no trouble at all. It's boucle and not-very-tight wool that gives me guff.

I don't hate it, but trying to knit it back stitch by stitch? It was a really big pain in the rear end, what with the mohair bits entangling themselves with the prior 2-3 stitches, making it difficult to cleanly unknit them without the assistance of cuticle scissors. I can't imagine actually removing your needles, ripping back a few rows and picking up stitches again - I think it would be impossible with a mostly-mohair blend.

It's the perfect yarn for this pattern though, and I'll use it for other lace/scarf patterns as well. I think it would be great in a cowl/smoke ring project too, if you don't mind mohair in your eyelashes.

Kalista fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 18, 2008

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I actually had an idea I'd like to bounce by my fellow knitters. I recently was invited to put a piece in a local 'eco-fashion' show. For the past week or so I've been hoarding old sweaters and frogging them completely back to balls of yarn. I was thinking of grouping them by color, and knitting with 8-10 balls at once on very large needles and making a very, very big cable. Just a cable. Then I'll probably make it into some kind of garment, but my main concern now is--will it be terribly difficult to knit with that many strands at once? Will I get all tangled? Should I spin them together into a mega-yarn before attempting this? (I've never spun before...)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Does anyone know of any good online guides/videos to learn how to spin with a (top whorl) drop spindle?

I think I understand it, but there seem to be different techniques out there, particularly when it comes to the way the yarn needs to be hooked onto the spindle.
I have yet to actually buy a spindle and roving, so maybe it'll become clear once I can actually practice it, but I'd just like to read some more about it.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Goldaline posted:

I actually had an idea I'd like to bounce by my fellow knitters. I recently was invited to put a piece in a local 'eco-fashion' show. For the past week or so I've been hoarding old sweaters and frogging them completely back to balls of yarn. I was thinking of grouping them by color, and knitting with 8-10 balls at once on very large needles and making a very, very big cable. Just a cable. Then I'll probably make it into some kind of garment, but my main concern now is--will it be terribly difficult to knit with that many strands at once? Will I get all tangled? Should I spin them together into a mega-yarn before attempting this? (I've never spun before...)

I've seen people do it before, I'm sure it's possible without any spinning. I was actually accosted by a crazy guy in a Papa Gino's once who was doing that. He was nuts but the blanket he was knitting looked cool. :)

I think really the key is giant needles. And patience.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I've seen people do it before, I'm sure it's possible without any spinning. I was actually accosted by a crazy guy in a Papa Gino's once who was doing that. He was nuts but the blanket he was knitting looked cool. :)

I think really the key is giant needles. And patience.
Try these! :)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

How do you even USE those?! I'm imagining I'll need to teach my boyfriend synchronized knitting to get anything done with those.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Pile of Kittens posted:

How do you even USE those?! I'm imagining I'll need to teach my boyfriend synchronized knitting to get anything done with those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJInPvYajEQ

How about sychronized crane-knitting?

No, seriously, Dave Cole is awesome.

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Goldaline posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJInPvYajEQ

How about sychronized crane-knitting?

No, seriously, Dave Cole is awesome.

Whoa, I'm speechless, that was something else.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Midnight Sun posted:

Try these! :)

That looks awesome! :D

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I've finally finished my first lace project: Fern and waves in Kauni yarn.

Quite a different experience from knitting with bulky yarn and felting.

fap
Jul 1, 2003

Midnight Sun posted:

I've finally finished my first lace project: Fern and waves in Kauni yarn.

Quite a different experience from knitting with bulky yarn and felting.

Wow, that is so beautiful!

Too bad I can't do lace yet. I'd love to make something classy for my mom.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

fap posted:

Wow, that is so beautiful!

Too bad I can't do lace yet. I'd love to make something classy for my mom.
Why can't you do lace? Just give it a try, you'll be surprised with yourself. :)

fap
Jul 1, 2003

Midnight Sun posted:

Why can't you do lace? Just give it a try, you'll be surprised with yourself. :)

My yarn overs aren't right, haha. I'm going to be doing the Swallowtail Shawl as soon as I get some stuff off the needles.

logorrhea
Apr 7, 2006

Midnight Sun posted:

Wow, this is gorgeous, can I get some more information about this project? What pattern did you use and how much mohair did it take? I have some beautiful mohair that I want to knit into an airy wrap just like this one :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

logorrhea posted:

Wow, this is gorgeous, can I get some more information about this project? What pattern did you use and how much mohair did it take? I have some beautiful mohair that I want to knit into an airy wrap just like this one :)
It's super simple. I used 2 skeins of Garnstudio Vienna, that's 206 yards (188 m). Use big needles, for this I used 7mm. Cast on an odd number of stitches, I think I CO 29. Slip the 1st stitch, then *(yo, k2tog), repeat from * to end of row. Repeat row 1 until the wrap is the desired size, then bind off.

Midnight Sun fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 4, 2008

logorrhea
Apr 7, 2006

Midnight Sun posted:

It's super simple. I used 2 skeins of Garnstudio Vienna, that's 206 yards (188 m). Use big needles, for this I used 7mm. Cast on an odd number of stitches, I think I CO 29. Slip the 1st stitch, then *(yo, k2tog), repeat from * to end of row. Repeat row 1 until the wrap is the desired size, then bind off.

Thank you! I'm going to start on this Friday. I'll post when (if) I finish :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I had to knit another Fern and Waves because I had made a lot of mistakes on the first one and I wasn't happy with it. This was a gift for my sis' birthday today.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Alright so I picked up knitting not to long ago, Im finishing up my second piece, once I get some good pictures I will post them. Anywho there is this videogame I really like and I wanted to make a cat doll from it. After seeing all the critters you can make on here, I was wondering if anybody knew of a good pattern to make one like it. Now either im blind or just have no idea where to look any help would be awesome.

Here are two pics one is a larger shot of the cat so you can see his shape the other is a size reference.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
How about http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTkate.html ?

And awesome work as usual, Midnight Sun! Have you tried adding beads? I think some clear or silver beads would look great in that scarf--like dew drops on leaves.

I haven't been doing any knitting at all :( Too much gaming recently.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks, jomiel. :)

I don't think I have the patience for beads, and seeing as I knit a lot at work (at night), the lace pattern is a bit too advanced for night time/interrupted knitting anyway.

But I agree that it would look really good, though! :)

Calienta
Apr 4, 2008
My very first project ever. And I mean ever. I had never even held needles before when I decided to start on this sucker. I started back in October and worked solidly for three months before I gave up after knitting half of one little sleeve in the round - was very frustrating. I just finished it recently, so now I can work on other things.

And let me tell you, some patterns that say they're for beginners ... LIE.

Preston pouting because he's pissed he has to pose for pictures.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Wow, first project ever!? :aaaaa:

That's awesome, so cool! Love the colors and you knit so neatly!

And yay for boxers. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calienta
Apr 4, 2008
Thank you! Yes, first project ever! My teacher was pretty surprised when I wasn't dropping my needles and that my tension was perfect. I must be a natural (hoowahh).

And yay for boxers indeed :) Sweater boy is a Boston Terrier mix but the feet in the back belong to my boxer.