Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I've got the same pair of Grados as shown above. They sound loving amazing. The only annoying thing is that sometimes a few pieces come loose so you gotta do a bit of messing around to keep them from falling around. Other than that they are great pieces of equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titpussyasscum
Dec 2, 2004

every time i come here i get lost as fuck

Canned Weenies posted:

It's probably not a matter of the headphones so much as the head. I don't have a freakish watermelon head or anything, but they put a lot of pressure on my ears after a couple hours. I suppose it's a matter of individual fit. They really do sound great, I use them for everything.

I would expect any pair of supra-aural headphones to be uncomfortable on my ears after a long time. The pair that I have now definitely do. I was wondering if this was especially so with the Grado's.
Thinking again about the discomfort after extended use, I am tempted now to go for something else

The Dark Wind posted:

I've got the same pair of Grados as shown above. They sound loving amazing. The only annoying thing is that sometimes a few pieces come loose so you gotta do a bit of messing around to keep them from falling around. Other than that they are great pieces of equipment.

Is the bass okay? I tend to use too much bass in my mixes if I cant hear it

Where is the headphones thread?

titpussyasscum fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 30, 2008

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hey man, what's the question? I will try to help if I can.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

titpussyasscum posted:

I just read a user review on the AD700s that said that they are lacking in bass a little bit. Is this also true of the Grado's? This concerns me a little bit.

I couldn't say without hearing them again. I doubt either of them have enough bass for doof-doof lovers.

I own a pair of AD900s though, and I love them to bits.

titpussyasscum
Dec 2, 2004

every time i come here i get lost as fuck

Agreed posted:

Hey man, what's the question? I will try to help if I can.

Would you say that the Grado SR80's are lacking in bass the way that AD700's apparently are? I tend to use too much bass when mixing if I can't hear it.

Are the Grado's pretty comfortable after extended use? Being super-aural headphones I would imagine they would become uncomfortable, but how would you judge their extended-use-comfort against other super-aural headphones?

I want to buy some Grado SR80's, can you convince me not to? Should I buy AD700's instead?

Do you look anything like the guy in your avatar?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Going to go one by one, responses in bold.

titpussyasscum posted:

Would you say that the Grado SR80's are lacking in bass the way that AD700's apparently are? I tend to use too much bass when mixing if I can't hear it.

It isn't that they're bass-shy so much as treble heavy. However, you can compensate somewhat for their unique frequency response, while still taking advantage of the extremely quick drivers that go with the trebly territory. How, you ask?

Are the Grado's pretty comfortable after extended use? Being super-aural headphones I would imagine they would become uncomfortable, but how would you judge their extended-use-comfort against other super-aural headphones?

When adjusted properly, they're very comfortable and you can more or less wear them all day. The older Grado manuals had a little drawing of a stick figure guy bending the headband out to accomodate his head, and that's exactly what you're supposed to do. It's a steel band, you're not going to hurt it - they're supposed to sit lightly, with just enough force to keep them on your head when you turn it as you normally would.

I'll expand on my earlier comment, because it has to do with comfort as well. If you reverse the earpads on the headphones and put a layer of electrical tape around the edges it helps the enclosure and driver couple more effectively to the air between it and your ear drum, it reduces the treble brightness a bit and boosts the bass at the same time, resulting in a more neutral sound. Many people also find this more comfortable than the standard configuration, as well. While I had my SR-225s, I used them in this way exclusively and loved them. I also tried the yellow Sennheiser pads that a lot of Grado users rave about, and they were alright, too - certainly very comfy, but it seemed to compromise the sound quality compared to the Grado pads.

I want to buy some Grado SR80's, can you convince me not to? Should I buy AD700's instead?

I think you should buy what you want to buy. However, it might be worth looking into a pair of Alessandro MS-1s instead of the Grado SR-80. The MS-1 use a modified SR-125 driver, and have a somewhat more balanced frequency response while sacrificing none of the quickness of the stock Grado drivers. Plus, they're only $99.

Do you look anything like the guy in your avatar?
Not even a little bit :)

As to the "use too much bass when I can't hear it" thing, you should make sure to listen on other sources as well before you consider the mix done. Production with headphones is tricky and problematic, even when you're using great headphones. Very expensive, complex DSPs can be used to accurately simulate the soundstage of speakers in a room through headphones (although I don't see why someone hasn't done something using convolution reverb, seems like it would be a great application of that technology), but even then, you're not getting the full picture and you would be well advised to check it out all around. A big part of doing audio work with headphones is getting deeply used to their quirks so you know what a good mix sounds like on them. It can help to just listen to a lot of music with them to get a feel for what familiar recordings sound like through the peculiar lens of your headphones.

Doogie Howser M.D.
Nov 24, 2007

Korg padKONTROL MIDI controller

Doogie Howser M.D. fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 31, 2008

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Wait, why are people mixing with headphones?

Anyway, my new latest purchase just came in the mail today:

I know they're not the most original things in the world, but drat if they're not beautiful. They sound great too!

I am always wary when people sell things as "mint" or "perfect condition" on ebay, but this thing doesn't even look like it was touched. With case and shipping it cost me less than $500; can't beat that.

noblystabbed
Jun 25, 2006

talls.donjis.com

Imaduck posted:

Wait, why are people mixing with headphones?

Anyway, my new latest purchase just came in the mail today:

I know they're not the most original things in the world, but drat if they're not beautiful. They sound great too!

I am always wary when people sell things as "mint" or "perfect condition" on ebay, but this thing doesn't even look like it was touched. With case and shipping it cost me less than $500; can't beat that.
That thing is purdy! And yeah, why ARE people mixing with headphones?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
Not really a 'purchase' but it's in my studio so I get to play plink plonk on it anytime I want:

My friend's Wurlitzer, not sure of the model (200? 200A? It's the one with the internal speakers) - he's letting me use it while he's off at college, since I loaned him a guitar for a few years....

...which coincidentally has recently returned home:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

noblystabbed posted:

That thing is purdy! And yeah, why ARE people mixing with headphones?

I cant speak for anyone else, but I'M saving up for a pair of mackies so I don't have much of a choice :v:

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.
Something came in the mail today. What could it be? We know 1 thing for sure...

Any guesses yet? This narrows it down some.

Getting closer...

There it is!

Looks like I'm number 175.

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

Ichron posted:

Getting closer...

There it is!

Jesus. No guitar should ever be that sexy.

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.

Darth Fungus posted:

Jesus. No guitar should ever be that sexy.

I have seriously never seen a guitar this hot. As soon as I uncovered it, I just stared at it.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Ichron posted:

Getting closer...

Gorgeous guitar, but it would have been nice if they'd included the month in that title

PixieRocker67
Apr 3, 2008

by Fragmaster
This is my baby.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Ichron posted:

I have seriously never seen a guitar this hot. As soon as I uncovered it, I just stared at it.

Yeah, I just said that outloud. Nice buy. :)

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Ichron posted:

Wow, I thought the diablo was just something goons talked about or pined for. That's a fine looking SG, and I don't even typically like them. Maybe it's the carved top...

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T
I would much prefer a normal SG over a Diablo. Different strokes I guess v:shobon:v

accident sorry :(
Dec 11, 2002
I'm stupid*
Hey, what's in the box... wait, this isn't TFR!

Oh hey, look at that, that looks just exactly like a keyless irish flute in blackwood & silver by Dave Copley!

Why yes, that's exactly what it is!

I really wish I had a better camera. It's a lovely flute.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

mono posted:

Put 12ax7's in this

Im already playing through a MESA F-30, so I have plenty of gain, you think 5751'a would be a better choice?

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
The Korg Radias has gone on sale for $599 in Canada. Not sure if the new price has hit the USA yet, but both Tom Lee and Long and Mcquade are selling it for that now.

Combined with a "we pay the GST" sale (5% discount) and took this one home for $570 yesterday. :)

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.

Los Padre posted:

Wow, I thought the diablo was just something goons talked about or pined for. That's a fine looking SG, and I don't even typically like them. Maybe it's the carved top...

I like the SG, but was always kind of indifferent to it. Something I wouldn't mind having, but could do without just as well, but then I saw the Diablo and I've been thinking about it since it was unveiled and I decided it was time to just go ahead and get it. Pictures really don't do it justice. If you see it up close, it's so much better even.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
At first I was really opposed to the Diablo, but I definitely like it a lot more these days. Still not an SG guy, but I dig it.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

accident sorry posted:

Hey, what's in the box... wait, this isn't TFR!

Oh hey, look at that, that looks just exactly like a keyless irish flute in blackwood & silver by Dave Copley!

Why yes, that's exactly what it is!

I really wish I had a better camera. It's a lovely flute.

Pure effing sex. The former flautist/Bodhran player in my band played one of these. He sucked rear end, but the flute made him sound almost halfway decent.

accident sorry :(
Dec 11, 2002
I'm stupid*

AstroZamboni posted:

Pure effing sex. The former flautist/Bodhran player in my band played one of these. He sucked rear end, but the flute made him sound almost halfway decent.

Thanks. :) It isn't an Olwell (I hope to get on his list later this year), but it's a lovely flute.

I've been a whistle player for ages, but have only been serious about the flute for maybe two years. So I still kinda suck too, but I have a good teacher. :fh:

I'm headed to Swannanoa for a week with Kevin Crawford too, which should be a blast.

AE
Jul 7, 2006

by Shine

I went in looking for a semi-hollow so I could start learning jazz on a non-EMG 7-string, and they just name-dropped Albert King until I bought the V.

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!

AE posted:

I went in looking for a semi-hollow so I could start learning jazz on a non-EMG 7-string, and they just name-dropped Albert King until I bought the V.

Good choice. I love the pickups in those things! They're hot as hell.

Also I don't mean to hijack, but can anyone tell me why just the faded cherry V's are discounted when I go into GC? I'd really like a white one to be honest but not at the current prices.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

mr_package posted:

The Korg Radias has gone on sale for $599 in Canada. Not sure if the new price has hit the USA yet, but both Tom Lee and Long and Mcquade are selling it for that now.

Combined with a "we pay the GST" sale (5% discount) and took this one home for $570 yesterday. :)

This combined with the dollar/euro rate is just obscene - we pay 1520 USD for this.

Congrats - it's a really nice synth :).

StevieRayVonEric
Nov 15, 2005

by Fragmaster

noblystabbed posted:

And yeah, why ARE people mixing with headphones?

I mix on monitors but switch back and forth between them, stereo speakers, computer speakers, and headphones to make sure that it sounds good on all of them and not just thru monitors.

noblystabbed
Jun 25, 2006

talls.donjis.com

StevieRayVonEric posted:

I mix on monitors but switch back and forth between them, stereo speakers, computer speakers, and headphones to make sure that it sounds good on all of them and not just thru monitors.
I forgot about this. That is perfectly legitimate, not that you needed me to tell you :downs:

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
Not so much a purchase but I won a set of custom wound pickups from a local pickup winder here in Australia. His name is Mick Brierley and he really went out of his way to make sure I got exactly what I wanted.

I decided to get a Zebra set with a 7.5k Alnico 2 Neck and an 8.2k Alnico 2 Bridge, scatter-wound with mismatched coils. I've had fairly high magnets in there before Alnico 4 and 5 and I'm really liking the extra mids the 2's bring.

Plus they're sexay!

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Tiny Terror :rock:

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

qball posted:

Not so much a purchase but I won a set of custom wound pickups from a local pickup winder here in Australia. His name is Mick Brierley and he really went out of his way to make sure I got exactly what I wanted.

I decided to get a Zebra set with a 7.5k Alnico 2 Neck and an 8.2k Alnico 2 Bridge, scatter-wound with mismatched coils. I've had fairly high magnets in there before Alnico 4 and 5 and I'm really liking the extra mids the 2's bring.

Plus they're sexay!

That's very nice, my friend Hope those pickups sound real nice.

I hear a lot of good things about those Orange amps, and I've really been wanting to try one, but I don't believe there are any dealers in my area. Could you tell me anything about them?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Altered State posted:

That's very nice, my friend Hope those pickups sound real nice.

I hear a lot of good things about those Orange amps, and I've really been wanting to try one, but I don't believe there are any dealers in my area. Could you tell me anything about them?

I can tell you they are the cats rear end. A dealer here in St. Louis has an AD-30 head (30 watts) and it loving smokes with a tubescreamer. It's 1300 new though I can't afford it.

AE
Jul 7, 2006

by Shine

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I can tell you they are the cats rear end. A dealer here in St. Louis has an AD-30 head (30 watts) and it loving smokes with a tubescreamer. It's 1300 new though I can't afford it.

STLOUISGOON

Do you post on GTP?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Please convince me not to buy one of these. A local store has one, a 1958 Duo-Sonic. I don't think they'd do a trade so I'd probably have to sell that PRS outright first.

I'm totally nuts over these old offset-body Fenders these days. What underrated instruments, I swear. Goddamn.

UberNoke
Jul 20, 2004

Are you injecting dope into your scrotum!? You can tell me! I’m hip!

Ichron posted:

Getting closer...

There it is!

Congrats man, those El Diablo's are true beauties. Pictures don't even do them justice.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Carbohydrates posted:

Please convince me not to buy one of these. A local store has one, a 1958 Duo-Sonic. I don't think they'd do a trade so I'd probably have to sell that PRS outright first.

I'm totally nuts over these old offset-body Fenders these days. What underrated instruments, I swear. Goddamn.

Well... This is coming out soon.

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303050589

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Susano-maku da! posted:

Well... This is coming out soon.

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303050589

Yeah, this just got posted on Offset. Tempting, even though I traditionally hate basswood and that bone-white neck looks awful. Still, managed to talk myself out of the original one seeing as the shop wanted $3k and wouldn't budge. Thanks but no loving way. I'd rather grab a nice jag for that price.