Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

About 10 pages back there was a short discussion on IIDX on HDLoader boxes and that certain hard drives acted up while others didn't. Is there anyone here who can point to drives that *don't* dole out wonky timings? Gold is the first style in years to interest me.

I've heard good things from seagate drives, but I've never owned an HDL myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
My experience running various styles on a brand new Maxtor 320 gig 7200rpm [8 or 16 meg cache, I can't recall]... uhh... I forget the model...

I get very slight desync on some songs, but nothing terrible unless I'm paying way too much attention to it - normally I don't even notice. I've had lockups randomly on DistorteD [maybe 1 out of every 50-75 songs?] and one the other day on Happy Sky, but other than that things work flawlessly.

Interestingly, when I used to run an old-rear end 40 gig 5400rpm Maxtor, the OEM bundle kind, I had zero desync and no lockups. Who knows?

I would've bought a Seagate, but if I recall, Fry's was out of huge Seagate IDE drives when I went to get my replacement after catching the old 40 gig on fire. Maxtor might have a bad rep, but as far as using them in my PS2 goes, they've treated me well so far.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Quick question - can PS2 Guitarfreaks use a Guitar Hero controller? I've got all 3 of the official PS2 GH controllers. Oh god someone please say yes, I can't recall if it's been mentioned

Bongzilla
Oct 16, 2007

by Fragmaster

Code Jockey posted:

Quick question - can PS2 Guitarfreaks use a Guitar Hero controller? I've got all 3 of the official PS2 GH controllers. Oh god someone please say yes, I can't recall if it's been mentioned

It can, but the three fret buttons it uses aren't all next to eachother.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Bongzilla posted:

It can, but the three fret buttons it uses aren't all next to eachother.

Interesting. I might just rewire my GH1 controller for GF then, since I only ever use my GH2 controller for Guitar Hero games...

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I just picked up Beatmania US last week on a whim and I'm have a total blast even thought the track list is less than stellar. I've been a big fan of Bemani games after I got hooked on DDR a while back. So in the near future I want to start importing different styles from Play-Asia after I get a little bit better, what's the best / easiest way of playing imports? I was looking into getting the Memor32 but I'm not even sure that's going to work, anyone have suggestions?

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

Mest0r posted:

I just picked up Beatmania US last week on a whim and I'm have a total blast even thought the track list is less than stellar. I've been a big fan of Bemani games after I got hooked on DDR a while back. So in the near future I want to start importing different styles from Play-Asia after I get a little bit better, what's the best / easiest way of playing imports? I was looking into getting the Memor32 but I'm not even sure that's going to work, anyone have suggestions?

getting a fliptop with Swap Magic disks is a really reliable and cheap way to go about it, if you don't want to worry about internal soldered mods :)

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I've read quite a bit of this thread, but I didn't see the information I was looking for. Apart from arcades and the poorly reviewed PS2 game, is there a way to play the Beatmania games? I've never played one but they look pretty fun.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Godmachine posted:

I've read quite a bit of this thread, but I didn't see the information I was looking for. Apart from arcades and the poorly reviewed PS2 game, is there a way to play the Beatmania games? I've never played one but they look pretty fun.

You could import the Japanese games, but you would need a modified PS2 and a controller to play them with (such as the one bundled with the poorly reviewed PS2 game)

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Godmachine posted:

My favorite is arcades but of course it's kind of expensive to learn the game there :v:

If you can dance through the archaic ritual required to get Lunatic Rave 2 working, it's a pretty good simulator for PCs. It has mouse control for the menus (awesome) and search/replay functions too, which bumps it up above the imports in my opinion.

Easiest way is to mod your PS2 and import the japanese games, but you might as well buy the "poorly reviewed PS2 game" anyways for the nearly free controller, if you can find it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
If you've got a fat PS2, network adapter, spare Seagate / Maxtor HDD and some patience, there's always hard drive modding, too. Safer than chipping, and it saves wear and tear on your drive. Of course, as you've read in this thread, it can be rather finicky..

e. this too involves importing the games, and ripping them onto the HDD with your PC.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
I use swap magic with my slim PS2 and my old PS2. It is really easy. You could upgrade to something else later if you get sick of using a boot disc all the time.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

Godmachine posted:

For the best and most reliable experience you really should get a fliptop for your PS2, as well as a copy of Swap Magic. This will erase any doubts that you'll suffer from timing issues associated with playing from a hard drive.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Thanks to GOLD, I now know who I'm gonna call when something's weird in my neighbor food.

I'd probably be have AA'd Ghostbusters by now if I wasn't laughing so hard.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

For the best and most reliable experience you really should get a fliptop for your PS2, as well as a copy of Swap Magic. This will erase any doubts that you'll suffer from timing issues associated with playing from a hard drive.

I had a friend break 3 PS2's trying to install the flip top/slide tool... i don't know how, but it apparently isn't risk free.

DSMArisen
Sep 10, 2007
Make it make money!

empathe posted:

I had a friend break 3 PS2's trying to install the flip top/slide tool... i don't know how, but it apparently isn't risk free.

You don't use a flip top and a slide tool, you use one or the other. Once a flip top is installed (properly), there is a little to no chance of it breaking the PS2. A slide tool, however, is a piece of plastic that is used to physically open the PS2 tray without using the eject button or whatnot. I've never used one, but the reason for it is because I thought that yanking open my disc drive can't be good for the system.

tl;dr : Flip top's won't break PS2's, slide tools probably can.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

DSMArisen posted:

Yeah, this.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

DSMArisen posted:

You don't use a flip top and a slide tool, you use one or the other. Once a flip top is installed (properly), there is a little to no chance of it breaking the PS2. A slide tool, however, is a piece of plastic that is used to physically open the PS2 tray without using the eject button or whatnot. I've never used one, but the reason for it is because I thought that yanking open my disc drive can't be good for the system.

No, he didn't do both simultaneously.
He broke 2 with slide tool.
Broke one with flip top.

I think he just fails at PS2 modding.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Lynx Winters posted:

Thanks to GOLD, I now know who I'm gonna call when something's weird in my neighbor food.

I'd probably be have AA'd Ghostbusters by now if I wasn't laughing so hard.
Foo ya gonna call? Seriously, as fun as the note chart is on [A], yeah. The song also really, really deserves its own video rather than one of the stock generic ones.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

Foo ya gonna call? Seriously, as fun as the note chart is on [A], yeah. The song also really, really deserves its own video rather than one of the stock generic ones.

Speaking of stock generic videos, I'm really glad that Last Message is back but I miss the ultra-distracting video. I'm not sure if I'll end up doing better because I'm not looking down some chick's shirt, or worse because I'm not forcing myself not to look down some chick's shirt. Either way, I miss looking down some chick's shirt and wish this version would let me.

what the christ did i just type

KNTain
Mar 14, 2006

like a pink monkey bird
I've put about five hours into Gold at this point.

That's the most I've put into a new style so quickly since, like, 7th or 8th. I think I like IIDX again. This is awesome.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

KNTain posted:

I've put about five hours into Gold at this point.

That's the most I've put into a new style so quickly since, like, 7th or 8th. I think I like IIDX again. This is awesome.

Same, taking a break at the moment because my arms feel like they're going to fall off. Enjoying the LED album right now which is pretty nice.

Also looks like PA is shipping the posters seperately again, got my pack poorly packed and minus a poster.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DSMArisen posted:

I used a slide tool for 3 years+ and it never broke the ps2.

The thing that DID break it was when I brought my ps2 somewhere and forgot to take the slide tool, and tried to make my own with a piece of plastic shaped in a similar way. It worked for getting the door open, but a few days later a piece that broke off the makeshift one dislodged a connector ribbon.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Fun fact: You get to learn the insides of your PS2 pretty well by playing these games.

Also it's entirely possible if you have a fat PS2 to do the whole Swap Magic thing without any purchases, but it's a bit of a pain to do because there's like six extra steps and you need a bunch more discs. :P

Ie: My "swap magic" used to be my memory card, a copy of Vandal Hearts, a copy of Mr. Mosquito, and Metal Gear Solid 3. And my PS2 was always lidless.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

I'm kind of surprised there's a video with Elebits in it considering it's a Wii-exclusive game.

I think Sequence Cat is my favorite in this mix.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Up until now, I've kept myself completely distant from Gold - I didn't want to know a drat thing about it until the minute it booted up.

I am totally floored by it. The UI is the most beautiful game UI I have ever seen, and the song list is unbelievable. Hooray eurobeat as far as the eye can see! I have played ~6-7 hours of it so far and I've only found one or two songs that I don't like [mostly just because of note charts that kill me / annoy me]. Everything else is just incredible. And maybe it's me, but the timing seems quite a bit more forgiving in this version - I'm AAing songs I've never played before in 5.

And... they brought back Drivin'. :D

e. Sequence Cat is awesome, but I can't possibly say "____ is my favorite so far". I began adding stuff to my favorites list, and then I realized that I was adding every single song that I was playing. :sweatdrop: Man this is good.

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.
I ordered legit copies of DistorteD and GOLD because I am now using a JPS2 instead of a modded one. Right now all I have is RED. If anyone wants to find me on VJ Army:

http://vjarmy.com/iidx/viewuser.php?user=2383&style=red

I promise that I'll start updating with new scores, definitely in the next 30 hours or so. If anyone's around my level (AAA most level 7 and under, doesn't play Normal/Light7 ever, clear a small handful of 12's) please be my rival!

Let me clear out the old Light7 scores though. Ugh.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Fishious posted:

Same, taking a break at the moment because my arms feel like they're going to fall off. Enjoying the LED album right now which is pretty nice.

Also looks like PA is shipping the posters seperately again, got my pack poorly packed and minus a poster.

That's why I only get my LEs through Himeya. They get your LE in, slap a new mailing sticker and send it right out. Mine came in on Saturday (but I was at AKon so I didn't get a chance to pick it up till today), everything was in great order. The poster is very shiny too.

While playing, I've started to chip away at the wall that I was currently facing; I've passed two 11* songs last night (Halfway a Promise [a] and Blind Justice [a]) with a 72% ending on another (Gold Rush [a]).

The song list on this style is a lot better than DistorteD.

I miss the mid-song grope in Last Message though. :(

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kimcicle posted:

The song list on this style is a lot better than DistorteD.

I miss the mid-song grope in Last Message though. :(

God you're telling me. I am totally blown away at how much better this is than DistorteD, and I really liked DistorteD.

And I have a special place in my heart for Last Message - somewhere I have an ancient flash animation of some little anime maid chick waving a fan set to that music, it was one of the first things I ever saw on 4chan back when it was first starting out. :shobon:

e. oh my god this is incredible, I'm in tears

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 3, 2008

mes
Apr 28, 2006

What's the most reliable website to get Swap Magic in the US? I'm growing tired of the lame song list in the US version.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Why do I get the feeling I'm the only IIDX player on the entire internet who has trouble fielding loving 7s in Light7/Normal? :( Inferiority complex goin' on over here. Anyone else suck as much as me?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Why do I get the feeling I'm the only IIDX player on the entire internet who has trouble fielding loving 7s in Light7/Normal? :( Inferiority complex goin' on over here. Anyone else suck as much as me?

7? 7?

Look, buddy, I can barely clear 1/3rd of the 6s. Don't even start on 7s. :arghfist::(

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I think getting stuck (plateauing) is a lot worse than not being able to clear whatever for the time being.

gently caress you, 11s, I will never clear any one of you.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I was stuck on 7s for a little while and then it suddenly clicked and now I'm knocking out 8s[h] and making dents in 9s[h]

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I totally got an A in Scorpion Fire the other day, though. :c00l:

L7

photo kiosk of life
Aug 31, 2004

Not the best role model.

Zo posted:

I think getting stuck (plateauing) is a lot worse than not being able to clear whatever for the time being.

gently caress you, 11s, I will never clear any one of you.

I have been stuck here for the past 1-2 years. gently caress those songs. To date I've only cleared one 11 I think.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I've been stuck in 10s for the longest time now. I have beaten a few but it's not consistent and they mostly have poor scores. Maybe Gold will give me enough motivation to push through and get up to 11s.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

I'm still stuck on 8s, and to date the only 9s I've passed are Giudecca once, quasar once, and ay carumba!! twice somehow. Gold's 8s are kicking my rear end for the most part.

I have been playing on and off since 2003.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Mest0r posted:

What's the most reliable website to get Swap Magic in the US? I'm growing tired of the lame song list in the US version.

Safest thing to do is find one that handles CC info over a secure transfer and is also ships from within the US. I've gotten burned ordering from Bumfuck, China and other eastern countries of ill repute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Lynx Winters posted:

I'm still stuck on 8s, and to date the only 9s I've passed are Giudecca once, quasar once, and ay carumba!! twice somehow. Gold's 8s are kicking my rear end for the most part.

I have been playing on and off since 2003.

I've been finding that Gold seems harder overall than DistorteD [at least at my sissy-pants kindergardener level] but the timing window seems generous enough to compensate. Which means I can pass many 6s and harder 5s that I might not have in prior styles, and that I'm now either AAing or coming within a few points of AAing songs I could only get midrange As on before.

I -love- the fact that the results page now lists how close I was to the next level, AND how I compared to my best score [with that badass linegraph comparison]. I just wish they'd add progressive scan, god Gold would be amazing with it... but I wonder if it'd screw up timing or require a whole different timing scheme.

e. I feel bad saying anything should be added to Gold, though. They did everything right, I've yet to find a real "Well, this kind of sucks" situation with it. Bemani knows how to do a sequel / series.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 7, 2008