Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Altered State posted:

That's very nice, my friend Hope those pickups sound real nice.

I hear a lot of good things about those Orange amps, and I've really been wanting to try one, but I don't believe there are any dealers in my area. Could you tell me anything about them?

Not much to tell, the Tiny terror is about as simple as it gets. One channel with volume, gain and tone knobs.

Quiet (bedroom levels with sleeping children nearby) it will give you nice cleans and subtle to heavy preamp distortion. Medium levels you get you more of the same but with some really good punch and dynamics. Set the gain at noon, dime the volume and you get awesome crunchy poweramp distortion. Warning though it's very loud for 15 watts. Switching it to 7 watts will get it to the power amp breakup earlier.

Cleans are very useable but it may have trouble keeping up with a loud drummer. It won't give you a myriad of different sounds but it have some amazing light to heavy crunch sounds when pushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Altered State posted:

I hear a lot of good things about those Orange amps, and I've really been wanting to try one, but I don't believe there are any dealers in my area. Could you tell me anything about them?
I was a band with someone who had one of those for awhile. It was stunning, especially when he hooked his Rickenbacker to it - with a bright, clean sound right out of the 60's. I was shocked by the range of tones he was able to get - bright cleans, some nice classic distortions, and even some heavier rock distortion.

If you can get past the price tag, they're really nice.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Imaduck posted:

If you can get past the price tag, they're really nice.

I'm a total Orange fanatic. They're amazing, but yeah, they're pricey as gently caress.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Vintage Oranges are some of the best amps.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

AE posted:

STLOUISGOON

Do you post on GTP?

What is GTP ?

Back to the Orange discussion.....drat do I want one so bad.

This is the head I want

The cleans are very clean, and when you put it on the dirty channel, you have a kickass crunchy sound. Turn on a tubescreamer while you are on the dirty channel, and you have the crunch that I dream about in my sleep. I'm going to own this thing soon enough.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

What is GTP ?

Back to the Orange discussion.....drat do I want one so bad.

This is the head I want

The cleans are very clean, and when you put it on the dirty channel, you have a kickass crunchy sound. Turn on a tubescreamer while you are on the dirty channel, and you have the crunch that I dream about in my sleep. I'm going to own this thing soon enough.

Yeah, this and it's combo version caught my eye. Sadly I doubt I'll afford one of these unless I win the lottery or something. :smith:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I know it aint any new fancy amp but...

Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax Silver Plating With Gold Plating in Bell. Warmest Brightest sound ever (yes the silver does make it sound different, it resonates differently with the horn).

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Kadler posted:

I know it aint any new fancy amp but...

Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax Silver Plating With Gold Plating in Bell. Warmest Brightest sound ever (yes the silver does make it sound different, it resonates differently with the horn).

That's absolutely gorgeous. I'd love it if you could post some sound samples of how that silver plated sax sounds versus a conventional sax; I've got barely any experience with such horn instruments at all.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Plastic coverplates, but decent reeds and a nice little case. At least good for a backup/travel set. And only 30 bucks, a drat steal.

Arthur
Nov 28, 2005

It's like those miserable psalms, they're so depressing...

I realised I'd wanted a Virus for about 10 years, so I figured that particular itch wasn't going to go away. Needless to say it's a fantastic bit of kit!

AE
Jul 7, 2006

by Shine

Marshall JCM900 1960B. Bought it used. The only thing wrong with it is cosmetic, and it's the tear in the tolex on the back. The price was so disgusting.

$310 shipped punch me in the dick loving sign me up.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Arthur posted:

I realised I'd wanted a Virus for about 10 years, so I figured that particular itch wasn't going to go away. Needless to say it's a fantastic bit of kit!

Oooh, I'm gonna acquire one of those some day. They're so sweet! And the TI part is just awesome.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

How are those Orange Crush amplifiers? I know they're lower-end models, but I've found some pretty affordable ones and I was thinking of getting the 30W model to mess around with. I found a few on ebay for around $100.

Are they worth checking into, or should I just save my cash and go for an expensive one in the very far away future?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Altered State posted:

How are those Orange Crush amplifiers? I know they're lower-end models, but I've found some pretty affordable ones and I was thinking of getting the 30W model to mess around with. I found a few on ebay for around $100.

Are they worth checking into, or should I just save my cash and go for an expensive one in the very far away future?

The micro-crush fuckin' sucked. Then I bought a Pignose and it's not exactly the best either, so maybe I don't know poo poo.

Also I've had this guitar since November but I finally got around to doing what I've wanted to do with it:

You can't really see it but there's two roller knobs under the pickups for volume AND tone, and I replaced the lovely switch. The roller knobs are right where I need them for quick access and they're infinitely more responsive than the original single volume pot. I get a whole taper now instead of zero or maximum! v:kiddo:v:pipe:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

I picked all of this up in the last year or so.
Epiphone Explorer bass, refinished in matte black, korina body. Sounds decent, has a nice accent but I plan to upgrade the pickups to EMG's. Slowly going to 80's metal it by changing the hardware to black as with the scratch-guard.

Epiphone Jack Casady, always wanted one of these, beautiful bass, sounds magnificant with a set of fresh strings and is a demon when turned up, for a passive bass it doesn't do too badly.

Squire Deluxe Jaxx V bass, was in the market for a 5 string and came across one of these, playing it for the gently caress of it. Never thought I would buy a Squire, but this is a drat fine bass. The active pickups really kick out the poo poo.

Ashdown MAG300 w/4x10. Simple, I just needed something loud that wasn't crap.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Epiphone Jack Casady, always wanted one of these, beautiful bass, sounds magnificant with a set of fresh strings and is a demon when turned up, for a passive bass it doesn't do too badly.

How do you like the Vari-Tone? Also, the JC sounds absolutely wonderful with flatwounds.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It's 2nd-hand and the reverb doesn't work, but a new tank is only about $20. On the plus side it's got new tubes in it. JJs in the preamp, Fender Groovetubes for the poweramp.

Great clean sound. The distorted channel is nothing special, but I didn't buy it for that anyway.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Isn't she lovely?

Smells like old man B.O., but sings sweetly like an angel. ;-*

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Oh? Is that A CARDBOARD BOX WHAT THE gently caress

Let's see what we got here...

What...?

Yep, there's two there.

The gig bag is awesome.

loving sexy.

noblystabbed
Jun 25, 2006

talls.donjis.com

hamaien posted:

Oh? Is that A CARDBOARD BOX WHAT THE gently caress
Does that little guy really put out enough volume/power to be used at like a bar gig?

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
drat man congrats on the Tiny Terrors. Hope you can get a good mileage on them.

Question, why two?

I'll probably get an Agile AL-3000 by the end of July, that's if I manage to find on in a sunburst or completely white+gold hardware by that time. There's the AL-3100 CSB wide but it's just too wide for me.

boobstastegreat
Aug 9, 2004
yum
Glad I can finally post here.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

noblystabbed posted:

Does that little guy really put out enough volume/power to be used at like a bar gig?

Yes, this little fucker gets loud.

Steiler Drep posted:

drat man congrats on the Tiny Terrors. Hope you can get a good mileage on them.

Question, why two?

Friend got one at the same time.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

boobstastegreat posted:

Holy jeezus that's beautiful. Who made it?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

AstroZamboni posted:

Holy jeezus that's beautiful. Who made it?

Looks like a Carvin Icon to me.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

boobstastegreat posted:

My god.

boobstastegreat
Aug 9, 2004
yum
It is indeed a Carvin Icon. IC6W Walnut topped alder with maple neck. I like it!

Mishra
Dec 12, 2007

My babies, and their new rack. Now the fun begins with trying to dial everything in to where I like it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
finally decided to get myself some acoustic drums (been playing on electronic for too long).

Gretsch Maple Renown, i loving love it.

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Lechtansi posted:

Those are absolutely gorgeous.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Mishra posted:

My babies, and their new rack. Now the fun begins with trying to dial everything in to where I like it.

I see you brought your weighted companion cube. That was a wise decision.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I've got to try out one of those Tiny Terrors come Monday. I always thought they were a practice amp or something until I actually looked them up. The only thing that worries me a bit is there doesn't seem to be much in the way of an EQ, but I guess they gotta sound good or they wouldn't be so popular, right fellas ?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I've got to try out one of those Tiny Terrors come Monday. I always thought they were a practice amp or something until I actually looked them up. The only thing that worries me a bit is there doesn't seem to be much in the way of an EQ, but I guess they gotta sound good or they wouldn't be so popular, right fellas ?

There's no EQ because it's a very simple circuit but it sounds great with high volume & especially at high gain. I've never felt the need for an EQ playing through my friend's Tiny Terror but I guess you could always get a pedal for that.

There's a 1x12 TT combo coming out later this month too, definitely gonna try that out.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Lechtansi posted:

Drums look great, though I can't say I completely understand the vertical ride placement on the left. Still, Gretsch makes some great drums, and you've got some good cymbals, too, especially if that's a K Custom Dark hanging vertical like I think it is.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Noxville posted:

There's no EQ because it's a very simple circuit but it sounds great with high volume & especially at high gain. I've never felt the need for an EQ playing through my friend's Tiny Terror but I guess you could always get a pedal for that.

There's a 1x12 TT combo coming out later this month too, definitely gonna try that out.

The only thing the TT needs is this:

I have to find someone who can do this.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I've got a Marshall TSL 60w head running through a 412 1960cab A. I only use the clean channel on my Marshall and run the distortion through my pedals anyways. Can the Tiny Terror push my big cab ? Probably a stupid question. I'd like to replace my big marshall cab with a smaller orange cab anyways though. The TT combo sounds loving awesome though.

logistik
Sep 11, 2001

I'll give you a TKO from Tokyo!
Picked this guy up the other day. Sounds like an angel IMO

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

grahm posted:

Drums look great, though I can't say I completely understand the vertical ride placement on the left. Still, Gretsch makes some great drums, and you've got some good cymbals, too, especially if that's a K Custom Dark hanging vertical like I think it is.

Thanks. Its actually a K Custom Dry ride and i love it. I really like having two rides and i've been messing around with the placement of it vs. the k custom hybrid china and i really like this setup. I play on it with my left hand which is cool because i can use both rides at the same time or use it on off beats while playing the hi hat with my right.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 8, 2008

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

hamaien posted:

loving sexy.

Man, you should totally give me one of those.

I'm pretty interested in these Orange amps now thanks to the earlier discussion. Tell me all you can about the Tiny Terrors, if you don't mind. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Altered State posted:

Man, you should totally give me one of those.

I'm pretty interested in these Orange amps now thanks to the earlier discussion. Tell me all you can about the Tiny Terrors, if you don't mind. :)

I'm not that well-versed in explaining tone verbally, but I can get some sound clips later tonight.