Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well I don't have a license so I don't expect to do any transmitting. Well, not MUCH anyway. ;) How much power do you really need to communicate any appreciable distance? I'm not trying to cook myself with RF, here, and I will be pretty close to my equipment at all times since I don't have a lot of room. ;)

TBH I'm mostly just interested in recieving right now but it could be fun to hop on some of these frequencies with all the morse code I hear on the 'software radio', xmit a few words and see if anyone can hear me. If the FCC doesn't bust down my door, shoot me in the kneecaps and steal my radio.

At any rate I'm in Japan right now and have no earthly idea what the laws about radio transmissions are anyway. I know 2.4 GHz phones aren't permitted offbase but absolutely nothing about the shortwave radio ranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Dolemite posted:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to F5 the hell out of the FCC database page! :f5:
Or here: http://www.qrz.com/new_hams.html

Hu Fa Ted posted:

100W HF will burn,
100W HF can generate several thousand volts on an antenna, depending on what kind of design you're using. I'm currently bumbling my way through building a "magnetic" loop antenna for HF, and in investigating designs, I found one guy who set his coax on fire with 100W! (The coax in question was used as a tuning capacitor at the far end of the antenna.)

Hu Fa Ted posted:

and 5W VHF will boil your eyeballs.
It will? AWESOME

/runs off to make eyeball soup

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

nmfree posted:

Or here: http://www.qrz.com/new_hams.html

100W HF can generate several thousand volts on an antenna, depending on what kind of design you're using. I'm currently bumbling my way through building a "magnetic" loop antenna for HF, and in investigating designs, I found one guy who set his coax on fire with 100W! (The coax in question was used as a tuning capacitor at the far end of the antenna.)

It will? AWESOME

/runs off to make eyeball soup

Actually, I got a nasty RF burn when I was a kid. My future step-dad was playing CW on 20M on a butternut vertical and I dared my brother to touch the antenna. He wussed and I said pssh! Bzzt. Solid key down on 100W. That sucked.

Look into specific absorption rates (SAR) for 2M. 144 happens to be at the same SAR as the aqueous humor in yo' eye balls. I was exaggerating (slightly), but only to emphasize how dangerous 2M (VHF) is.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Epicenter posted:

TBH I'm mostly just interested in recieving right now but it could be fun to hop on some of these frequencies with all the morse code I hear on the 'software radio', xmit a few words and see if anyone can hear me.
Yeah, please don't do that. Seriously, not only is it impolite, it's also a criminal offense.

I'm guessing you're in the military, so not only do you have to deal with US licensing requirements, and then with the Japanese radio authority, as well as whatever military hoops you have to jump through to operate an Amateur station while deployed. Good luck with that.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

nmfree posted:

Yeah, please don't do that. Seriously, not only is it impolite, it's also a criminal offense.

I'm guessing you're in the military, so not only do you have to deal with US licensing requirements, and then with the Japanese radio authority, as well as whatever military hoops you have to jump through to operate an Amateur station while deployed. Good luck with that.

Well, it's not such a big deal really. Hell, figure out where the local MARS station is and you can play MARS all day. I was a Radioman in the Navy and I wasn't into ham radio at the time so the MARS station on our boat pretty much rotted. However they had tons of gear even on a little Destroyer so a shore sta should have some nice stuff.

Also, I didn't notice that bit. Yeah, don't do that. Your commander will be cheesed, and you'll give hams a lousy name. Seriously, the tests aren't that hard and none of the restrictions are that onerous unless you're just out to be a jerk. In which case just troll message boards. It's cheaper and you won't have to compete with the CB/11M fuckwads.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hear ya. I'd just like to know if my equipment works before I spend lots and lots of free time studying and taking tests trying to get a license I don't even know if I'll be able to use for anything enjoyable.

I know I can receive stuff from halfway around the world via shortwave, but I can probably only transmit in the very local area without getting some insane license, very expensive equipment and probably putting up a ginormous antenna anyway, right?

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Epicenter posted:

I hear ya. I'd just like to know if my equipment works before I spend lots and lots of free time studying and taking tests trying to get a license I don't even know if I'll be able to use for anything enjoyable.

I know I can receive stuff from halfway around the world via shortwave, but I can probably only transmit in the very local area without getting some insane license, very expensive equipment and probably putting up a ginormous antenna anyway, right?

Look, nobody will begrudge you keying up a xcvr to see if it works. Likely nothing will come of it. However, and this is key, your decision to purchase a rig should not be based on some future license potential. A lot of guys buy rigs they never use for the same reason. Ham radio is a lovely spectator sport. It's only fun if you can play, otherwise just go to the shortwave thread.

Personally, I'd give my left nut to bag a station in Japan on any frequency out here on the east coast.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

Hu Fa Ted posted:

Look into specific absorption rates (SAR) for 2M. 144 happens to be at the same SAR as the aqueous humor in yo' eye balls. I was exaggerating (slightly), but only to emphasize how dangerous 2M (VHF) is.

Erm, gonna have to disagree with you on that one.. at least according to the General-class study guide I have in front of me, it's ~1270MHz where the eyes will resonate. Other resonant frequency fun facts:

the adult human body: 35MHz if grounded, 70MHz if insulated
the adult human head: 400MHz
the baby human head: 700MHz

Bzzzzzt!

Dolemite posted:

:woop: :woop:
Congratulations! Maybe if you're lucky some random ham from your area will relay a congratulatory message to you when they see your call pop up in the database... it actually happened to a friend I introduced to ham radio. He was confused.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

McRib Sandwich posted:

Erm, gonna have to disagree with you on that one.. at least according to the General-class study guide I have in front of me, it's ~1270MHz where the eyes will resonate. Other resonant frequency fun facts:

the adult human body: 35MHz if grounded, 70MHz if insulated
the adult human head: 400MHz
the baby human head: 700MHz

Bzzzzzt!

I can't argue the point right now and everything I tried to use to verify was locked in unreadable PDFs, but I'm fairly certain about 2m being a point where nasty things happen to the eye. However, I'll include the following -- still, be safe with ham radio. A 5W HT is probably safe, but grabbing the whip of your 75W mobile while keying most likely is not.

Some IEEE doc posted:

MICROWAVES AND RADIOWAVES
Absorption in tissue increases with frequency, penetration decreases with frequency. Least favourable combination for living tissue is best for cooking (2450MHz, microwave ovens).
Higher absorption in muscle (water content) than in fat.
Below 30GHz, thermal effects only, no mutagenic effects. No possible carcinogenic effects at less than 106 GHz (i.e. ultra violet light).2
Occupational Exposure Standard - based upon generalised body heating
Limit wholebody specific absorption rate (S.A.R.) to less than 0.4W/Kg in 0.1hours in range 3 x 106 - 3 x 1011 Hz.
(Basal metabolic rate 1.3W/Kg running 5W/Kg) S.A.R. exceeding 4W/Kg can give detectable changes in core temperature and behavioural changes in animals.
At rest 100W of metabolic heat is dissipated over 2m2 of body surface (50W/m2). T.L.V. of 100W/m2 gives rise to half the heat increase incurred in walking.
Localised Heating
Human body has good blood circulation thus heat transfer and stable temperature within the body. Exception is the eye - if overheated (450C - 550C) transparent cells of lens may die and become opaque (cataract). Unlikely in humaneye below S.A.R. 30W/Kg. Epidemiology has not revealed excess human cataract from radio/microwave exposure.
Other possible hazards - vasculitus, sterility, genetic damage, central nervous system. Little evidence for serious or long term harm at community exposure.
Cardio-vascular effects - increased heart rate, above 500W/m2.
Behavioural changes noted in animals at S.A.R. above 4 to 8W/Kg. S.A.R. 0.4W/Kg gives safety factor >10.
Microwave pulses may be heard at non-damaging levels - heat - vibration due to thermal expansion -> change in electrical potential of brain.
Sources - communication, military, RF heaters, plastic welders, glue setters, short wave diathermy, etc.
Low power devices of total emission less than 7W are harmless, e.g. small radio transmitters, intruder alarms.
Microwave ovens - emission limit (BS5175, 1970) is 50W/m2
at 50mm.

edit:
Also check:
http://www.arrl.org/news/rfsafety/eval/

Pimblor fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 4, 2008

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

McRib Sandwich posted:

Congratulations! Maybe if you're lucky some random ham from your area will relay a congratulatory message to you when they see your call pop up in the database... it actually happened to a friend I introduced to ham radio. He was confused.

This happened to me. It was actually a pleasant surprise and I ended up joining the local club. Hams can be quite passionate about their hobby and will sometimes even send QSL cards to first time 2M contacts. I should also mention that some hams can be raging dickholes, it's not all cream and cherries but for the most part they are a pretty nice bunch.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Looking into this as a receiver:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140238330499&ssPageName=ADME:B:BOC:US:1123#ebayphotohosting

Any thoughts on it? I'm trying to talk the owner down to around $120. Or should I be looking into something that can transmit as well as receive? Any recommendations? Also can you expect to get the same range out of one of these portable units I keep seeing recommended, or is a boat-anchor style desk-top unit a better investment?

Thanks. :)

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Epicenter posted:

Looking into this as a receiver:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140238330499&ssPageName=ADME:B:BOC:US:1123#ebayphotohosting

Any thoughts on it? I'm trying to talk the owner down to around $120. Or should I be looking into something that can transmit as well as receive? Any recommendations? Also can you expect to get the same range out of one of these portable units I keep seeing recommended, or is a boat-anchor style desk-top unit a better investment?

Thanks. :)

As a ham it looks "meh" to me. I like how the guy cherry picked the reviews from eham though.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1190

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How about the ICOM IC-701? :)

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 9, 2023

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Sindow posted:

So what happened to this project and how come it didn't turn out how you wanted?
Because when desinging it, I made it as large as the software would allow... it didn't fit up the stairs :laugh:

I know how to fix it (cut it in half), I have the piece to put it back together when I get it upstairs, but I don't know how well it will work because I don't have an antenna analyzer to do any tuning. v:shobon:v Also, I have to build a mounting frame for it so it's not sitting on the floor.

I forgot I posted about that, actually.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Couple of notes, if you're in the North Texas area Hamcom is June 13-14. It'll be a blast. Also Field Day is June 28-29, if you've never participated in Field Day I can't tell you what to expect cause neither have I; but I hear it's fun :)
I'm hoping to find a group locally and setup a satellite (ArrowII/AO-51) station.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Windows 95? You must be doing these guys a disservice. I just got my FT-60 in the mail and the first conversation I heard on the Nashville repeater was about Windows Vista.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

backstage posted:

Windows 95? You must be doing these guys a disservice. I just got my FT-60 in the mail and the first conversation I heard on the Nashville repeater was about Windows Vista.

I swear, the last time I was on an interstate trip, it was nothing but Windows 95/98 tech support for 50 miles. It boggles the mind.

If you don't believe me though, just take a look at the system requirements of the average piece of ham radio software out there :psyduck:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

McRib Sandwich posted:

If you don't believe me though, just take a look at the system requirements of the average piece of ham radio software out there :psyduck:
There's still some very popular software out there that is still best run on Windows 3.1!!

Not to mention the large amount of software that is still DOS based!

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sindow posted:

I think they do that so they can run their software on their horrible old junk laptops that they got for $10 at a hamfest.

Speaking of which anyone checked out the Hamsexy forums yet? Those guys are all right. :)

Hamsexy is really fun and I get along with them better than anybody else.

The only problems with that site is that they're a little nationalistic/maybe a little racist at times, and they kind of condescend if you talk gear and it doesn't start with the words "My Motorola". But they are way fun and I will read a thousand posts there before I set foot on QRZ again.

And yes, hams will spend 30 hours figuring out how to get 3.1 or 95 on a P200 laptop before they go spend $199 on a modern one, haha.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah, the QRZ forums are ridiculous, and eham too. Every thread turns into a code/no-code poo poo-sling or something worse. I'll have to check out hamsexy if I can ever get it to load.

And actually I've been thinking about getting some cheap Windows laptop so I can run all that stuff... how much of it is good? I already have the G4FON Morse tutor which is pretty excellent. I've also got my eye on SDR for down the road, and it seems like Linux/GNU Radio might be the way to go there.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Jonny 290 posted:

And yes, hams will spend 30 hours figuring out how to get 3.1 or 95 on a P200 laptop before they go spend $199 on a modern one, haha.
Pft, old hardware is way more fun than new hardware. I've spent many a day slapping Debian or Slackware on a Sun Ultra 5 or a 486 laptop from somebody's closet. I'm glad these old graybeards are keepin that silicon tickin'.

Anyway, I've been meaning to look at the world of ham radio software on Linux beyond gMFSK. I've seen the options down in the kernel's menuconfig a bazillion times, but I've never had the desire to see that's there to be used until now. I think I just found what I'm going to do with my Sunday :)

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

backstage posted:

Yeah, the QRZ forums are ridiculous, and eham too. Every thread turns into a code/no-code poo poo-sling or something worse. I'll have to check out hamsexy if I can ever get it to load.

And actually I've been thinking about getting some cheap Windows laptop so I can run all that stuff... how much of it is good? I already have the G4FON Morse tutor which is pretty excellent. I've also got my eye on SDR for down the road, and it seems like Linux/GNU Radio might be the way to go there.

Seconding the love for the G4FON tutor. Just don't make my mistake and try to learn using the Farnsworth method, you really do hit a glass ceiling not too far above 5-7wpm. I'm trying to clean the slate and start over with the Koch method, but it's slow going. I actually have to un-learn the way I'm used to identifying the characters :smith:

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Hmm. Good to get the warning. I've been practicing at 15 WPM with a dit speed of 20 WPM, seems like that should be ok.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
I like NuMorse Pro, but that costs money... But it has been money well spent imo.

Seconding the QRZ forums assessment. That old saw about the internet being a magnifier for dickheads gets amplified with a 10KW AM amp over there. I loving hate their forums.

I just lost a auction for a old AM broadcast transmitter, but my current goal is to get an old RCA or Gates transmitter and start loving up 160M with beautiful studio AM quality. I have 15 acres, so I'm going to put up a rombic on 160M or maybe a curtain... Not sure which.

Pimblor fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 8, 2008

WingAttackPlanR
Apr 30, 2002

POE/OPE
I know nothing about amateur radio but recently I sat in on a proposal on cube sats and found out about this particular satellite, its actually why I started looking into amateur radio:

[url]http://www.delfic3.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=107]delfi-c3[/url]

A bunch of students at this universtiy in the Netherlands actually build the satellite and launched it on one of India's PSLV rockets. They are having radio amateurs help capture and decode signals from the satellite and relay them back to the univeristy where they have uplink capability.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

WingAttackPlanR posted:

I know nothing about amateur radio but recently I sat in on a proposal on cube sats and found out about this particular satellite, its actually why I started looking into amateur radio:

[url]http://www.delfic3.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=107]delfi-c3[/url]

A bunch of students at this universtiy in the Netherlands actually build the satellite and launched it on one of India's PSLV rockets. They are having radio amateurs help capture and decode signals from the satellite and relay them back to the univeristy where they have uplink capability.

Looks cool, can you use FM on a linear transponder?

(also great username/avatar)

EDIT: Grammar Rocks!

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 9, 2008

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So it's settled; I'm getting an ICOM IC-701 in known-working condition, with the IC-RM2 computerized remote control unit, and SM-2 desk microphone. All together it's costing just over $200. :D Now I just need to pick out what sort of antenna to get; I am strongly leaning toward these slinky-based Helitrix dealies since the best thing I have to work with as far as antenna placement is a couple big windows.

Like I said, I'm in Japan for a while and it looks like there is no good way to test for a HAM radio license while I'm here, so it'll be a while before I can transmit, methinks. Are there any unregulated bands that are OK to use? I know you don't need a license to use CB in Japan or the US, but the IC-701 won't do CB without modification, and even so I think the max power is pretty low. The IC-701 will do 100W and I think the max for CB is around 4W.

Either way I'll have fun listening. I hope I can find some cool stuff like PSK or SSTV.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

WingAttackPlanR
Apr 30, 2002

POE/OPE

blugu64 posted:

Looks cool, I can you use FM on a linear transponder?

(also great username/avatar)

Haha thanks, likewise. I have no idea on what they're doing. I'm not on the communications side of things. I don't think their satellite has any science instruments but a future one might and at that point having radio amateurs coordinate to provide complete orbit coverage and help pull down downlink data would be an amazing capability. You could make this type of science accessible to people other than well funded universities and government agencies. Imaging being a high school student and being able to relay instructions to a cheap satellite and then being able to pull down rudimentary radar weather data, magnetic field, or thermal/infrared images over your school!

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Here, I will help propel this puppy along towards its first birthday just like the SW thread. I think the satellite and EME stuff is awesome and would love to play with it. It'll probably be a while before I get around to it though. So far I am building SWR meters and antennas for 146 MHz. Anybody built an SWR meter for VHF/UHF? I am using a bridge design but apparently you have to pay a lot of attention to component size and layout at these frequencies. The one I have right now isn't really accurate at all. Next I'm going to try building it with some PCB and surface mount components, but those things are loving TINY and I'm going to need a magnifier and some tweezers.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 28, 2019

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Jose Pointero posted:

The lure of 2 meter SSB was just too great

How much activity is there on VHF simplex typically? non-FM I mean. I'm beginning to think that HF in this apartment might not be all that practical. 2m (and probably 6m, though 10m is really stretching it) is just perfect, and already setup to boot.

Also you're in the Waco area right? If work permits, and gas falls to $1.25/gal you should come up to dallas for hamcom, I think a few of us might be there as are a few hamsexy folks. I'm really hoping to find some more permanent mounting brackets and a better 2m/440 antenna for the place.

EDIT: Anyone use six meters?

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 9, 2008

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 28, 2019

corax
Jan 21, 2002

KC8WWS here. Not exactly very active; I primarily got my technician licence so the customs agents at the Canadian border would stop harassing me about the 2M radio in my dashboard. I actually had a U.S. customs agent threaten to seize my radio because he was "a ham in good standing" which in his mind gave him the authority to enforce FCC licensing rules.

But now I'm all legal. Guess I have to downgrade a couple of machines to Win95 now in order to fit in; maybe lodge a few whining, somewhat senile complaints about software incompatibility and inability to print over my local (mostly inactive) repeater.

Ehh... marine channel 16 is more interesting around here, overall.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I had a strange idea I would like to throw out there for when I am ready to experiment with VHF. How about if we (amateur radio goons in general) were to put together the radio equivalent of GBS-TV? My idea is that it would be operated from one original video stream (with user contributed content), and use as low a frequency as possible to maximize range. Internet-based repeating, as I see it, could theoretically allow extremely widespread ability to view the broadcast. :science: I wonder if there's a mode that requires less bandwidth than NTSC, (but a lot more than SSTV) to strike a good balance between range and quality.

There's probably some holes in my logic you could drive a truck through; but I'm interested to hear what anyone thinks of my idea. :)

Epicenter fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 9, 2008

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The hole being that you aren't allowed to use amateur frequencies for broadcast? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I just bought 5000 more feet of 14 gauge aluminum electric fence wire for $5.99 at Lowe's.

Ground radials much?

This house closing (June 20th) cannot come soon enough. Cannot wait to get a permanent setup (including a ladder-line-fed full wave loop, that will be freakin awesome) to get back on the air!

I think for the time being the satellite setup is going on one of those nice roof tripods. I scratched the used tower idea and am now talking again to the power company about buying a pole.