Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trueblue
Oct 10, 2004
Can we still be friends?

Sad Panda posted:

I googled but couldn't find one. My request is very simple...

Basically I would like a random number generator that generates and displays a number between 2 user set boundaries (for example 1 and 30). I click next the new number pops up on screen, I click again and a new number pops up. One thing, the numbers should not repeat. It's basically for a kind of Bingo game I have my students play but all the Bingo generators I found online only generate between 1 and 75 or 1 and 90. If it were to be a little colourful (will be used with elementary school kids) I would be even happier.

Thanks!

Here you go: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/EasyBingo

It will need the .NET Framework to run but I dunno what version. Let me know if you want anything changed... sorry for the gaudy colours :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

trueblue posted:

Here you go: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/EasyBingo

It will need the .NET Framework to run but I dunno what version. Let me know if you want anything changed... sorry for the gaudy colours :)

Awesome! That seems to work nicely. 2 small things..

1. If I enter the number 100000000000 it will crash when I click apply, that is of course not important but just saying.
2. Would it be possible to make it maximisable? I usually work with computers that are connected to 42" TVs and it would be great if I could make it go in to full screen/maximised mode and have the number in a large font in the middle.

Beyond those 2 small things it's great, I'm sure my kids will love the gaudy colours!

trueblue
Oct 10, 2004
Can we still be friends?

Sad Panda posted:

Awesome! That seems to work nicely. 2 small things..

1. If I enter the number 100000000000 it will crash when I click apply, that is of course not important but just saying.
2. Would it be possible to make it maximisable? I usually work with computers that are connected to 42" TVs and it would be great if I could make it go in to full screen/maximised mode and have the number in a large font in the middle.

Beyond those 2 small things it's great, I'm sure my kids will love the gaudy colours!

Ok mate, I just uploaded a new version to that wiki page. I capped the allowable difference between the limits to 1000001, and made the form fully resizable, with some basic code to make the main number's font scale up with the window.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

marketingman posted:

I'm looking for a way of running w32tm.exe /ntte on an entire column in a csv file, and have it output to a new csv file or even the column next to the source column. Any ideas?

Can you e-mail me a sample file? nategagne AT gmail

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Something I was looking for a long time ago and still think would be could be a video game console-style command prompt. You know how most PC games have an optional console, usually accessible by pressing ~ or something similar, which drops down from the top of the screen? I'd love to have something like that in Windows, only have a command prompt come down. Bonus points for transparency options, but honestly, I'd be happy just to see it work.

It would need to either have a user-configurable hotkey or something ridiculously unlikely, such as winkey+`. I'd also like for it to be completely hidden, if possible, when not in use. Just like in the video games.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Munky_Magic posted:

What would be even cooler would be a program which detects the customer id number and reads/stores it using detection methods. Then the whole process would be automatic.

I just didn't think that was possible without some REAL heavy duty program. The customer ID numbers are hand-written in the middle of a page of other stuff. See sample.

I hate processing these dumb things, but we keep a scanned copy in the customer's account so that they can't fight us later, saying that they never picked up some particular equipment. (You wouldn't believe how many people who live in million dollar houses are completely cheap bastards!) Either I upload them specifically to each customer's account by hand, or the file names have to be perfect for the automation. I've been doing this for several years and I can't think of a better way to do it. Anyways this is probably very boring to code for :(

But THANKS, because with one minor tweak, that program would save me lots of time.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

brc64 posted:

Something I was looking for a long time ago and still think would be could be a video game console-style command prompt. You know how most PC games have an optional console, usually accessible by pressing ~ or something similar, which drops down from the top of the screen? I'd love to have something like that in Windows, only have a command prompt come down. Bonus points for transparency options, but honestly, I'd be happy just to see it work.

It would need to either have a user-configurable hotkey or something ridiculously unlikely, such as winkey+`. I'd also like for it to be completely hidden, if possible, when not in use. Just like in the video games.
Try this app: http://www.anappaday.com/downloads/2006/09/day-8-jedi-console.html

There's a link to a modded version on that page that has a couple more useful features not seen in the original.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Karthe posted:

Try this app: http://www.anappaday.com/downloads/2006/09/day-8-jedi-console.html

There's a link to a modded version on that page that has a couple more useful features not seen in the original.
Wow, I had no idea anybody actually got around to doing it. That's not bad, but I wonder why it can't just use cmd.exe. Whatever they're using in that app is a little... wonky.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I'm working on a project in my research lab that involves cell staining, with the resulting cells being run through a fluorescent microscope connected to a hi-res camera. The photograph looks something like this:

The cells in these are the bright white dots, with the extracellular media being the background. Counting one of these wouldn't be a big deal, but I have eighty of these images to count. After starting the count by hand, I realized that there might be a faster way to do this. Thanks Apps people!

This looks like a fun problem and I'm interested in working on a solution to it (even if someone has already beat me to it). Please email me at john@modillion.net so we can discuss this further. I'll need sample images and counts.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

DoggPickle posted:

The Littlest Prince, Wow, thanks! Thank you for fulfilling my app request. It is NEARLY perfect. The size of the png is fantastic. Sorry I didn't get your PM. We were away for the weekend.

The only problem I have is that I need to be able to set the date because I do them the next day (so if it always pulls today's date, then it will always be incorrect, especially Friday to Monday or over a Holiday. If you could make one more line for date, and make sure that it doesn't reset the field after each entry, that would be awesome! This silly little thing is going to save me SO much time.

Totally forgot about this, and since then I installed a fresh copy of vista and I don't know where I put visual studio. The source is on the site, so if anyone cares to change it and re-upload, that'd help (it'd be a really minor tweak). If I find time (and visual studio) while this is still in my head I'll re-install and go fix it.

the littlest prince fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 6, 2008

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

the littlest prince posted:

Totally forgot about this, and since then I installed a fresh copy of vista and I don't know where I put visual studio. The source is on the site, so if anyone cares to change it and re-upload, that'd help (it'd be a really minor tweak). If I find time (and visual studio) while this is still in my head I'll re-install and go fix it.
I'll take care of it.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

DLCinferno posted:

I'll take care of it.
Alright, I uploaded the new version and source code to the site. I didn't actually test it so let me know if it doesn't work or you want the date format changed or something. :D

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Scanned_Cable_Box_Form_Renamer

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.
Sorry to bother you almighty computer folk, but I couldn't find my way out of a paper bag if I tried this myself so I have come hoping someone can help me out with this.

I would like a foot-pound energy calculator for a Symbian S60 cellphone. Specifically a Nokia 5310 or 6682, if it matters. Either would be fine.

You can find an example here: http://www.airguns.net/calculators.php (the pinkish one). I believe the formula to be Energy = Weight * Velocity Squared / 450395 (fixed constant).

I'd really, really love this and would be very grateful to whoever could pull it off for me if anyone's interested. It'd make a lot of my chores way, way easier.

Thanks for reading my request and hopefully advance thanks to whoever fulfills it.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1212795842

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
EDIT: I am dumb.

Ramzi
Oct 10, 2004
The inner child of my soul was repeatedly gangbanged by a team of mall Santas.
Is there any way I can make my desktop background a screensaver? And is there a way I can run a program when my screensaver starts, like utorrent. In XP? If not, could someone make that?

Your HILARIOUS
Mar 15, 2003
I have a small mac app I'd LOVE to request. Anyone capable of that?

e: there are OSX ones there already. Sweet.

Want:

Small Program for OSX 10.5 that I can point to a directory and click a button.

When you click the button:

1. Any file without a 5 number code on the front of the file name will have a 5 digit number code randomly generated for it and added to the file name. Duplicates number codes are fine.

2. Files with existing 5 digit number codes will have their code scrabbled so that it has a new 5 digit code on the front of it.

3. File names are left otherwise intact.

4. Magic!

Your HILARIOUS fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 7, 2008

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I feel like I might be able to do this myself, but I don't want to accidentally mess something up...basically I have my music library, and every Artist/Album folder has an image called "albumart.jpg" which I need to rename as "folder.jpg"...can someone write a quick batch file that will recursively go through the folders and do this rename for me? Thanks in advance!

The Fold
Apr 16, 2004
I've been trying to find an app that doesn't require me to download adware at the same time to do this all evening...

What I want to be able to do is enter a search term for google images and have the resulting images downloaded for me. My reasoning behind this is I was trying to show my girlfriend a load of the 'motivational posters' but obviously having to click through each result took a while.

I'm not even sure if something like this is even possible but I thought I'd ask :)

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Electromax posted:

I feel like I might be able to do this myself, but I don't want to accidentally mess something up...basically I have my music library, and every Artist/Album folder has an image called "albumart.jpg" which I need to rename as "folder.jpg"...can someone write a quick batch file that will recursively go through the folders and do this rename for me? Thanks in advance!

This should do it for you:

code:
FOR /F "usebackq delims==" %%c in (`dir /s /b "C:\Music\albumart.jpg"`) DO ren "%%c" "folder.jpg"

Electromax
May 6, 2007

DLCinferno posted:

This should do it for you:

code:
FOR /F "usebackq delims==" %%c in (`dir /s /b "C:\Music\albumart.jpg"`) DO ren "%%c" "folder.jpg"

Thank you, kind sir.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

The Fold posted:

I've been trying to find an app that doesn't require me to download adware at the same time to do this all evening...

What I want to be able to do is enter a search term for google images and have the resulting images downloaded for me. My reasoning behind this is I was trying to show my girlfriend a load of the 'motivational posters' but obviously having to click through each result took a while.

I'm not even sure if something like this is even possible but I thought I'd ask :)
I'll take this. I've actually got it almost done, but there's some cleanup I probably won't get to until tomorrow.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

The Fold posted:

Here you go. This was a nifty idea so it made for a fun project! :)

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Google_Image_Getter

Only has a single worker thread so it isn't the fastest downloader in the world. Requires latest .NET probably.

The Fold
Apr 16, 2004

DLCinferno posted:

Here you go. This was a nifty idea so it made for a fun project! :)

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Google_Image_Getter

Only has a single worker thread so it isn't the fastest downloader in the world. Requires latest .NET probably.

You sir, are a genius! I'm amazed there wasn't already something like this out there but thanks a bunch, it works a treat!

nail
Jul 15, 2005

An update and "thanks again" :

Neurozys answered my request with Sound View. I have played with it a long time now, and have kind of worked out a method of using it to compose music. (It helps that I am not musically-minded, so I don't have a specific melody in mind. Therefore I can just make an image and sort of know if it's going to come out sounding interesting.)

I have found that the program makes no discernible distinction of hue, only brightness. So I made a simple scale to use

(It's a gray scale! :v: )
Darker colors are lower notes, and this goes from low to very high. I'm still working on understanding the way it reads pixels. Using this in the vertical orientation, it plays each note once, slowly. Turning it sideways will make it play the scale very rapidly, many times. (This is at the default setting of 1 tick per pixel.) So I make an image using only these colors, then load it up.

Thanks again, Neurozys! I'm having a lot of fun with this!

nail fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 10, 2008

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

hyperborean posted:

An update and "thanks again" :

Neurozys answered my request with Sound View. I have played with it a long time now, and have kind of worked out a method of using it to compose music. (It helps that I am not musically-minded, so I don't have a specific melody in mind. Therefore I can just make an image and sort of know if it's going to come out sounding interesting.)

I have found that the program makes no discernible distinction of hue, only brightness. So I made a simple scale to use

(It's a gray scale! :v: )
Darker colors are lower notes, and this goes from low to very high. I'm still working on understanding the way it reads pixels. Using this in the vertical orientation, it plays each note once, slowly. Turning it sideways will make it play the scale very rapidly, many times. (This is at the default setting of 1 tick per pixel.) So I make an image using only these colors, then load it up.

Thanks again, Neurozys! I'm having a lot of fun with this!

This is pretty drat cool (and if you plan to screw around with this, heed the warning that you might need to kick up the ticks per pixel to make anything sound half-decent).

BikeThief
Aug 13, 2003

It's for real, I'm going to steal a pair of wheels.
I'm looking for a way to reposition the start bar, based on screen resolution. Basically, when my tablet pc is in landscape, I prefer the bar to be on the bottom, but when in portrait, it's easier to get to the bar at the top.

An app to assist with this would stay in the tray, waiting for a resolution change. When the specific resolution is activated, the program moves the start bar to one of the four positions.

Sort of what I'm envisioning:

link: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1213063761

BikeThief fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 10, 2008

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

BikeThief posted:

I'm looking for a way to reposition the start bar, based on screen resolution. Basically, when my tablet pc is in landscape, I prefer the bar to be on the bottom, but when in portrait, it's easier to get to the bar at the top.

An app to assist with this would stay in the tray, waiting for a resolution change. When the specific resolution is activated, the program moves the start bar to one of the four positions.

Sort of what I'm envisioning:

link: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1213063761
I was taking a look at this and ran across this quote from a moderator on the MSDN forums:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2086164&SiteID=1

Eliot - MSFT posted:

After doing some thorough research, I am afraid that there does not seem to be a way to programatically change the location of the taskbar. The taskbar is a user set control. As such, good user experience dictates that a user-set control, well, stay where the user leaves it and in the same state.

There is some detection about the taskbar that you can do and have your application react to whether the computer is orientated to landscape or portrait and where the taskbar is located.

...so it doesn't sound like it is possible, at least easily. If anyone does know of a way I'd be interested in hearing.

BikeThief
Aug 13, 2003

DLCinferno posted:

I was taking a look at this and ran across this quote from a moderator on the MSDN forums:

...so it doesn't sound like it is possible, at least easily. If anyone does know of a way I'd be interested in hearing.

:( That's depressing. It'd really make start bar stuff nicer to use on a tablet. Ah well...

Edit: looking around in the googles, i did find this http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=494273 The people in there are talking about grabbing a handle to the xp task bar using FindWindow and then moving it yourself.

BikeThief fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 10, 2008

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

DLCinferno posted:

I'm no programmer (in this context), but doesn't the last statement of your quote say that what BikeThief wants can be done:

Eliot - MSFT posted:

There is some detection about the taskbar that you can do and have your application react to whether the computer is orientated to landscape or portrait and where the taskbar is located.

BikeThief posted:

Basically, when my tablet pc is in landscape, I prefer the bar to be on the bottom, but when in portrait, it's easier to get to the bar at the top.

I know BikeThief suggested doing it by resolution, but I'm sure there would be other ways to do it.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

kapinga posted:

I'm no programmer (in this context), but doesn't the last statement of your quote say that what BikeThief wants can be done:

I know BikeThief suggested doing it by resolution, but I'm sure there would be other ways to do it.
Detecting the resolution I can do. What the quote says is you can detect information about the taskbar and move your application accordingly...not the taskbar.

BikeThief posted:

:( That's depressing. It'd really make start bar stuff nicer to use on a tablet. Ah well...

Edit: looking around in the googles, i did find this http://www.gamedev.net/community/fo...topic_id=494273 The people in there are talking about grabbing a handle to the xp task bar using FindWindow and then moving it yourself.
Hmm, that's more encouraging. I'll take a look.

Mad Brahmin
Dec 29, 2004
The only way I know how to move the taskbar is in XP and it's rather ugly. Set byte 13 of HKCU\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2\Settings to a value of 0-3 (ABE_LEFT, ABE_TOP, ABE_RIGHT, ABE_BOTTOM) then kill Explorer. When it comes up again the bar should be in it's new position, but it may be missing a few tray icons. Here's an example of the above in c:

You might want to backup that registry key just in case something messes up and kills your task bar since this was quickly thrown together.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/images/6/63/MoveTaskbar.zip

BikeThief
Aug 13, 2003

Mad Brahmin posted:

The only way I know how to move the taskbar is in XP and it's rather ugly. Set byte 13 of HKCU\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2\Settings to a value of 0-3 (ABE_LEFT, ABE_TOP, ABE_RIGHT, ABE_BOTTOM) then kill Explorer. When it comes up again the bar should be in it's new position, but it may be missing a few tray icons. Here's an example of the above in c:

You might want to backup that registry key just in case something messes up and kills your task bar since this was quickly thrown together.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/images/6/63/MoveTaskbar.zip

Hm. Well, tried that out. It does work, though one time when moving the task bar, it brought explorer back with a crashed active desktop. Other than that, it works. It just isn't ideal, I suppose. Thanks for the effort, though.

adwkiwi
Nov 16, 2004

I understand perfectly. And I don't care.
I have a :science: project I need a little help on.

I need to pull (x,y) coordinates out of an A3 Wacom intuos^2 tablet at the maximum possible sampling rate and dump them into a text file of some kind. I'm going to be using the tablet as a 2D motion measurement system, and I need a position time series of coordinates that I can then take off and analyse.

Some Googling revealed the Wacom PC developers page, which lead me to the vTablet page on SourceForge. I downloaded the code but its all a bit weird, the file extensions are all truncated (.TX_ instead of .txt, for instance) and I'm not sure what the means. setup.exe does successfully install the demo (apparently online here in IE form only, but I couldn't get IE to let me run it). Regardless, as far as I can tell vTablet is a bit of code that you can embed in some other code and use to call up the data out of the tablet.

Now, my basic need is to figure out a way to use vTablet to send position data as fast as possible into a text file. I might eventually need to run this via Matlab or possibly Labview, because I'm going to need to trigger the recording from an external response box. I'm looking for a) an app that can pull position data into a text file, and b) advice or suggestions on how to get Matlab to talk to vTablet. I hope that makes sense :)

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

DLCinferno posted:

Alright, I uploaded the new version and source code to the site. I didn't actually test it so let me know if it doesn't work or you want the date format changed or something. :D

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Scanned_Cable_Box_Form_Renamer

Awesome! Thank you both very much! You even made a little drop down calendar to pick the correct date. Seriously, thanks guys. It is perfect.

Praxton
Apr 21, 2005

I'd really love a small notepad like application that writes from right-to-left with a font that has mirrored letters. Always on top and minimizes to system tray would be a plus also.

Quick concept pic:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1213816466

Praxton fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 18, 2008

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Praxton posted:

I'd really love a small notepad like application that writes from right-to-left with a font that has mirrored letters. Always on top and minimizes to system tray would be a plus also.

Quick concept pic:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1213816466
Can I ask what in the world this would be used for?

Praxton
Apr 21, 2005

DLCinferno posted:

Can I ask what in the world this would be used for?

Ok, but the answer is kind of stupid. I've always wrote mirrored in notes to myself or in my journal. For some reason it's much easier for me to write and read that way. I just want to be able to do the same when I make notes on my computer :(

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Praxton posted:

Ok, but the answer is kind of stupid. I've always wrote mirrored in notes to myself or in my journal. For some reason it's much easier for me to write and read that way. I just want to be able to do the same when I make notes on my computer :(
Haha, actually that's kinda cool. I wish I could write in mirrored text.

I *think* this will actually be pretty easy, I'll pick it up later today or tonight.

TTC
Feb 19, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I'm a PC Technician, and would like a way to keep track of what i'm doing, and for how long i'm doing it.

What i'm thinking, is I a simple timer program, with the ability to generate a .txt file in the same program so I can take notes of what i'm doing. And a "finish" button to save the job text file with the time spent logged as well as the date, customer and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

DLCinferno posted:

Haha, actually that's kinda cool. I wish I could write in mirrored text.

I *think* this will actually be pretty easy, I'll pick it up later today or tonight.
Unfortunately, it seems textbox controls don't support mirroring. :( I'll keep playing with it, but no promises.

• Locked thread