Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Code Jockey posted:

I've been finding that Gold seems harder overall than DistorteD [at least at my sissy-pants kindergardener level] but the timing window seems generous enough to compensate.
It's entirely possible they used looser timing on Gold songs, but just so you know (in case you don't) timing windows are defined by the artist/note charter for each song. The IIDX staff is extremely against changing the windows on any previously published song, a prime example being Gambol. It wasn't until IIDX RED that they actually fixed Gambol Light 7. (but kept 7 key the same, and if you REALLY want something amusing, play it on Another using the training mode or an expert course ;) ) (and if you are unaware of Gambol, its timing windows are horrifically broken, getting a AAA on 7 key Gambol is an achievement enjoyed by very few people)

quote:

Bemani knows how to do a sequel / series.
After fourteen tries... well, I'd hope so. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

LiquidRain posted:

It's entirely possible they used looser timing on Gold songs, but just so you know (in case you don't) timing windows are defined by the artist/note charter for each song. The IIDX staff is extremely against changing the windows on any previously published song, a prime example being Gambol. It wasn't until IIDX RED that they actually fixed Gambol Light 7. (but kept 7 key the same, and if you REALLY want something amusing, play it on Another using the training mode or an expert course ;) ) (and if you are unaware of Gambol, its timing windows are horrifically broken, getting a AAA on 7 key Gambol is an achievement enjoyed by very few people)

No kidding?

Well I'll be damned. Maybe I'm just getting better, then? :v: That's really interesting [both about Gambol, and the dynamic timing window thing]

SirLarr
Mar 21, 2003

High tech, low class.
I missed the boat on the quote train but I'm going to chime in and say that I sure do hate Slake still.

Also Texture was the one good Slake song.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
The 11 lineup in GOLD is a bit easier then DDs, and 12 lineup is probably a bit easier too not sure though since it's not like I can pass many of them anyway.

However what really is harder is GOLD 10th dan, my arms are dead before I even get to Golden Cross [A].

I don't think the timing is easier, GOLD just seems to have a lot of easy to time mid range songs.

Mint Mania IIDX
Aug 21, 2007

by Fragmaster

LiquidRain posted:

a prime example being Gambol
Gambol is nothing more than a joke that Konami played along with, so it's probably not the best example.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Fishious posted:

The 11 lineup in GOLD is a bit easier then DDs, and 12 lineup is probably a bit easier too not sure though since it's not like I can pass many of them anyway.

Definitely. Blind Justice [a] and Halfway of Promise [a] don't really feel like 11*s.

As for the timing thing, I want to find an unpatched 9th style machine. If you play General Relativity, it bases its timing off the song right before it. Playing it as the first song after booting up a 9th style machine will result in an unplayable song: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xpUX-Dq7K78

GAMBOL is a funny one; first it was on 1st Style then it jumped to beatmania THE FINAL (where it still had lovely timing).

To me it feels like GOLD's timing is better in sync with songs. If you want bad timing, go play 5th style or something.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I'm actually starting to climb over the 11 wall now which is pretty cool!

As well as a bunch of new one-time clears I can actually clear a bunch of 11s consistently now, like Laser Cruster (nonrandom) and Vanessa on GOLD. I even got Sense 2007 after going through a few randoms, ironically before any of the anothers other than Blind Justice.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

kimcicle posted:

As for the timing thing, I want to find an unpatched 9th style machine. If you play General Relativity, it bases its timing off the song right before it. Playing it as the first song after booting up a 9th style machine will result in an unplayable song: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xpUX-Dq7K78

That's hilarious, was the "timing based on previous song" thing intentional? (some kind of relativity pun or something).

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Hahaha that's hilarious. What if you boot up the machine, play General Relativity, then play it again? Will the machine collapse in on itself after the laws of physics break down inside of it?

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
So after getting my cherry popped with rhythm games with Rock Band, and after reading this thread so much, I'm pretty serious about getting everything I need to play these games. Just need a few things clarified:

-What the best modding method to use play these games?
-Will the standard US Beatmania controller work with the Japanese games?
-Will the actual Japanese discs be needed or can a burnt copy work?
-What are the best Beatmania games, based on what you've guys have played?

Sorry for asking so many noob questions, but I don't know much about playing Japanese games.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Godmachine posted:

So after getting my cherry popped with rhythm games with Rock Band, and after reading this thread so much, I'm pretty serious about getting everything I need to play these games. Just need a few things clarified:

-What the best modding method to use play these games?
-Will the standard US Beatmania controller work with the Japanese games?
-Will the actual Japanese discs be needed or can a burnt copy work?
-What are the best Beatmania games, based on what you've guys have played?

Sorry for asking so many noob questions, but I don't know much about playing Japanese games.

The standard US Beatmania controller will work with all of the games.

I had a big PS2 and used the fliptop+swap magic method, and now I have a slim PS2 and use the "plastic pieces to block two sensors and dremelled cover to trigger the third sensor and swap magic method."

On an unmodded Japanese PS2, you need the original discs. On a modded PS2 I imagine burned discs would work but I don't see why you'd want to make a copy since the laser will have a lot more trouble reading a burned disc.

I probably like Happy Sky (12th style) the best, but I haven't gotten a chance to play Gold yet, and I imagine everyone will tell you to get that.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Honestly, it seems that a lot of imported games are rather costly, considering there are quite a few Beatmania games. Are the game menus even in English?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Godmachine posted:

Honestly, it seems that a lot of imported games are rather costly, considering there are quite a few Beatmania games. Are the game menus even in English?

I've put significantly more than an hour per dollar into Happy Sky. Also, a lot of the game menus are in English, and there are so few menus that anyone (including myself) would be happy to make a guide for it (if there's not already one in this thread/on gamefaqs).

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Before you go balls deep and order a bunch of mixes, see if Beatmania US is to your liking. It's the worst representation of the series but it's going to give you an idea of what to expect as far as presentation, style of music and difficulty. IIDX is a lot like smoking: nobody the gently caress enjoys their first cigarette, so you keep smoking cigarettes until, god drat it, you can't stop smoking cigarettes.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
That's actually really good advice Dr. Video Games (PhD). I'll grab a Beatmania bundle and check it out first. Thanks.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I don't know man, I took my first hit at the arcade and went home scrambling for any way to get my fix and now I'm balls deep in this poo poo.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
The closest Beatmania machine is probably in the Chicago area which is 45 minutes away. And that's not even a guarantee.

In other news, I found the US version bundle for $30 in excellent condition. I'll be rocking that poo poo tonight.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Godmachine posted:

The closest Beatmania machine is probably in the Chicago area which is 45 minutes away. And that's not even a guarantee.

In other news, I found the US version bundle for $30 in excellent condition. I'll be rocking that poo poo tonight.

Well worth it, and keep in mind with as much fun you have with it it's the worst one. Anything you get from there is going up. :)

Also personally I'd recommend 8th Style or Happy Sky, but I'm more of a Pop'n man so take my advice with a grain of salt if you will. :P

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.
Nice avatar, Godmachine.

If you decide to import the games, what I would do is mod your US PS2. Whether you have a thick or slim, there are easy ways to soft-mod it. Much cheaper than getting a modchip.

And while you're still new to the games, I would VERY STRONGLY suggested getting the older games since they're cheaper, and appreciating them while you still can. They have a lot of classic licensed songs that will probably never be re-released. In my opinion, 3rd Style and 6th Style are the best games to begin with because they have unique licenses and a much lower difficulty curve.

When you get to be extremely good at the games, you'll need the more intricate speed mods and Sudden+ of IIDX RED and forward, plus the music from RED and on is quite different from the old IIDX fare and you'll like it a lot more.

As for advice, though, I would suggest beginning to regularly use the RANDOM modifier as soon as you can. This is similar to SHUFFLE on DDR if you've ever played it - it switches the positions of the 7 keys and will get you used to harder patterns and make progressing much easier later on.

You also need to learn the correct values of the speed mods and learn to read at the maximum speed you can comfortably read, and no less. More than any other music game, your speed modifiers in Beatmania are vital to improving your scores.

For 3rd Style:
Hi-Speed 1: x2.0
Hi-Speed 2: x3.0
Hi-Speed 3: x4.0

For 4th Style:
Hi-Speed 2: x2.75
Hi-Speed 3: x3.5

For 5th Style:
Hi-Speed 2: x2.5
Hi-Speed 3: x3.0

For 6th through 9th and Beatmania US:
Hi-Speed 2: x2.5
Hi-Speed 3: x3.0
Hi-Speed 4: x3.5

For the newer games:
HS 0.5: x1.50
HS 1.0: x2.00
HS 1.5: x2.25
HS 2.0: x2.50
HS 2.5: x2.75
HS 3.0: x3.00
HS 3.5: x3.25
HS 4.0: x3.50
HS 4.5: x3.75
HS 5.0: x4.00

So as you've probably figured out, multiply the song's BPM by your modifier, and that's how fast the notes will scroll. I have hundreds of AAAs and can pass a handful of Level 12 songs on Another, and to this day I still keep a little slip of paper by me while I play PS2 that tells me what speed to use on what BPMs.

So find a comfortable speed. "Hey, I can read 150 bpm on Hi-Speed 3, but 155 bpm on Hi-Speed 3 is too fast, so I should probably stick to 450 for my max read speed. That means I should use Hi-Speed 4 on anything slower than 130, HS3 up to 150, HS2 up to 180, and HS1 up to 225." And if you find yourself stuck at a wall and unable to pass any new songs, start trying faster speeds.

Giudecca fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 7, 2008

Major Burns
Jul 25, 2007

Godmachine posted:

I'm looking to get into beatmania IIDX,where's the best place to buy it,preferable online?
I'm in europe by the way.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
What is everyone's read speed anyways? I try to keep it at 450bpm but can go anywhere between 400-500. I haven't been using sudden though, which I suspect might let me finally break the 11 wall. I just can't get used to it.

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.
I read at 595 CS games, 560 arcade.

Some Cool Guy
May 14, 2007

by angerbotSD
I recently tried to play the latest installment of this series at a local arcade...it loving curbstomped me.

I would have played Pop'N Music, but some wretched little shits pulled the buttons out of the machine. Who does that?

Any advice on getting better? Beginner mode loving sucks, because they cut like 3/4 of the song list off, but I'll do it if it's the only way.

Mint Mania IIDX
Aug 21, 2007

by Fragmaster

Some Cool Guy posted:

Any advice on getting better? Beginner mode loving sucks, because they cut like 3/4 of the song list off, but I'll do it if it's the only way.
beatmania US has Beginner as a difficulty below Normal/Light7, so that's a perfect way to start. That way, you're not stuck playing 5.1.1. L7 for 123423492 years.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Some Cool Guy posted:

I recently tried to play the latest installment of this series at a local arcade...it loving curbstomped me.

I would have played Pop'N Music, but some wretched little shits pulled the buttons out of the machine. Who does that?

More importantly HOW did they pull the buttons out!?

They're supposed to be bolted down on the inside. :pwn:

Also I'd recommend just playing 1s and 2s to get started with. If you know anyone with a home version, give yourself a few hours with it. Not an option, start yourself off on easy stuff with autoscratch or Easy on. However I really strongly say once you begin to get even the slightest bit better, stop using AS or Easy or anything like that, because it'll become a crutch later on.

Gotta take the training wheels off early, y'know.

Some Cool Guy
May 14, 2007

by angerbotSD

Mint Mania IIDX posted:

beatmania US has Beginner as a difficulty below Normal/Light7, so that's a perfect way to start. That way, you're not stuck playing 5.1.1. L7 for 123423492 years.

That's the main problem, I don't really have access to anything besides the one Beatmania machine. Which is here, I might add.

I'll be sure to get pictures of the Pop'N and its missing buttons next time I'm there.

And I fully agree with the training wheels comment, I played beginner on DDR all of once, then I moved up to light 3's and 4's. I'm still not terribly good, but I can play most of the songs without falling on my rear end.

Beatmania, however, left me with aching fingers and a broken soul. And the name of a song that sounded like it fell out of Initial D.

That song was Night Flight to Tokyo. Why in the HELL do I find Super Eurobeat songs catchy?

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
So, I found a whole stack of brand new Beatmania US games at the EB near me for $30. I played for about an hour.

Thus far, the game is really fun. But holy poo poo, it's hard. I'm literally doing beginner poo poo and I find it very difficult to get above a C on anything. Then poo poo like Toxic ruins me.

Still, I'm keeping at it. Just which the keys were closer together. I can't figure out how to position my hands yet.

Mint Mania IIDX
Aug 21, 2007

by Fragmaster

Godmachine posted:

Still, I'm keeping at it. Just which the keys were closer together. I can't figure out how to position my hands yet.
That's something I struggled with for a long time. Practice makes perfect, and also, I think all the console versions have a Training Mode you can use. Slow down the song, and learn to hit things slowly. SCG, you could use that too.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Zo posted:

What is everyone's read speed anyways? I try to keep it at 450bpm but can go anywhere between 400-500. I haven't been using sudden though, which I suspect might let me finally break the 11 wall. I just can't get used to it.

Roughly 450-500 for me, but it's hard to tell because I also always use assloads of sudden+. I've gotten really dependant on it lately for timing and never have less then 200, I think it's mostly because I look where the note combo is when I play while it seems that lots of people look at the middle.

As for starting advice, the best advice I ever got was to just keep on playing. There's very few ways that you can really screw yourself and lock yourself into bad play habits, it's all just practice.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Godmachine posted:

That's pretty close, actually. There are a lot of people who have to drive 5+ hours to get to the closest machine who'd envy you. (Not to mention people in Europe for whom the closest machine is in Italy)

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Godmachine posted:

Get used to going two-handed. One-handing's for showboating and is generally only for freakish giants with hands the size of flour tortillas. I use my right hand for the four leftmost keys and my left for the others plus turntable.

photo kiosk of life
Aug 31, 2004

Not the best role model.

Godmachine posted:

So, I found a whole stack of brand new Beatmania US games at the EB near me for $30. I played for about an hour.

Thus far, the game is really fun. But holy poo poo, it's hard. I'm literally doing beginner poo poo and I find it very difficult to get above a C on anything. Then poo poo like Toxic ruins me.

Try switching from one player side and two player side to see which one you're more comfortable with too. when you start remembering where the keys are and don't panic as much or anything, it gets much easier.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Get used to going two-handed. One-handing's for showboating and is generally only for freakish giants with hands the size of flour tortillas.

I take it you've met FoxxyIchibo? :v:

Also if anyone has the opportunity to play IIDX in widescreen, DO IT. Set it to Arcade view in options, it's gorgeous. :D

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Yeah, I said "gently caress off" to playing 5 key. Just jumped into 7 and I don't want to look back.

How in the LIVING loving CHRIST do I skip past the credits after playing 3 loving SONGS!? Better yet, is there a way to quit a song? Or should I just set the controller down and read a magazine?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Godmachine posted:

Yeah, I said "gently caress off" to playing 5 key. Just jumped into 7 and I don't want to look back.

How in the LIVING loving CHRIST do I skip past the credits after playing 3 loving SONGS!? Better yet, is there a way to quit a song? Or should I just set the controller down and read a magazine?

Press start?

Actually that's how you quit a song, too. But you have to hold it for a little bit for that to work.

EDIT: Also you go back to five key and play Ska a-go go. DO IT NOW.

It's retardedly hard and you will probably fail. Fun stuff. :D

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
....hold down Start... eh?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Godmachine posted:

....hold down Start... eh?

Does beatmania US have in-song speedmod switching? It's been a while. If it does you have to hold down start and select to quit the song.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Does beatmania US have in-song speedmod switching?

Hahahahaha

(no)

But yeah, press Start to skip the credits I would imagine.

You should play 5 key too, it has some songs that aren't in the 7 key mode (Metal Gear Solid theme, etc)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Get used to going two-handed. One-handing's for showboating and is generally only for freakish giants with hands the size of flour tortillas. I use my right hand for the four leftmost keys and my left for the others plus turntable.

Maybe that's why I'm good at it. :v: I have enormous hands, I think my wedding ring is like a size 14 or 15?

But also, I like showboating at conventions. :D

Also, Godmachine, I hear you on the difficulty - I wasn't able to break out of beginner for months. Just stick with it - it's seriously worth it. You'll eventually get to the point where you'll be halfway into a song, in the middle of some 500 note streak, and you'll suddenly think to yourself "How the gently caress am I doing this?" I still can't understand how someone like me, with the sense of rhythm and coordination of a kid with downs, can pull off some of the songs I can pull off.

Also, in my experience, Red's beginner mode was probably the best thing for me while I was still learning. Great selection of songs, and the difficulty is nicely distributed. Happy Sky had a good beginner mode too. BMUS's... ehhh, it was okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Also, don't spend any more time in Arcade mode than you need to. Beatmania US is one of the few iterations where it's necessary to first play - not necessarily complete - a song in Arcade mode before it will appear in Free. After you've played all songs in Arcade, start screwing around in Free. You can play as many songs as you like without hitting the credits and it'll still record your scores.

I'm surprised that BMUS is also the only iteration where you can save replays.