Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Also, don't spend any more time in Arcade mode than you need to. Beatmania US is one of the few iterations where it's necessary to first play - not necessarily complete - a song in Arcade mode before it will appear in Free. After you've played all songs in Arcade, start screwing around in Free. You can play as many songs as you like without hitting the credits and it'll still record your scores.

I'm surprised that BMUS is also the only iteration where you can save replays.

Replay functionality is always reserved for spinoff games for some reason. Sort of like how in Pop'n, only Best Hits lets you save them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I'm surprised that BMUS is also the only iteration where you can save replays.

You can save replays in training in other styles. I just did it in 6th.

EDIT: Whoops, shows what I know. It disappeared right after I left Training.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 8, 2008

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Dewgy posted:

You can save replays in training in other styles. I just did it in 6th.

...to your memory card?

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Man, thank god this controller can take a beat... or a drop kick... and the whole bundle is only $30 if something does happen to it.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

Godmachine posted:

Man, thank god this controller can take a beat... or a drop kick... and the whole bundle is only $30 if something does happen to it.
Well that's one way to loosen up the turntable.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I don't think my hands are made for this. I've tried numerous angles for my hands and nothing seems to help. I've been stuck on the same level 3 song for hours now. Even on practice, at speed 1, I can't hit this poo poo.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Godmachine posted:

I don't think my hands are made for this. I've tried numerous angles for my hands and nothing seems to help. I've been stuck on the same level 3 song for hours now. Even on practice, at speed 1, I can't hit this poo poo.

You sound exactly like me back in the day. :D

Seriously you'll get better, it just takes practice and a LOT of patience. There's a reason why people say the learning curve is near-vertical..

Also, try turning the speed up. You'd think it makes things harder, but it'll space the notes out enough to make them much more readable. I can't play anything below 300bpm without high speed turned on, and I keep it around 2.5 for most songs. I'd recommend at least 1 while you're learning, but it totally depends on the song speed. Refer to Guidecca's awesome as hell speed chart for that.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
It's going to be that way for a long time. And you'll wonder why the hell you should put up with something so frustrating. And you'll tell yourself you'll never develop the manual dexterity to hit the keys in any sort of proficiency.

And then one day you'll full combo a 200 bmp song and it'll all start clicking. You'll see stars and possibly even your own death. Time becomes tangible. Love becomes a flavor. The flowers will start talking to you. Rainbows will fall from your pockets. Your voice will become melody incarnate. You'll take a step outside and see your future wife holding your only son, and it will become clear: you were a Beatmania expert this entire time.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

It's going to be that way for a long time. And you'll wonder why the hell you should put up with something so frustrating. And you'll tell yourself you'll never develop the manual dexterity to hit the keys in any sort of proficiency.

And then one day you'll full combo a 200 bmp song and it'll all start clicking. You'll see stars and possibly even your own death. Time becomes tangible. Love becomes a flavor. The flowers will start talking to you. Rainbows will fall from your pockets. Your voice will become melody incarnate. You'll take a step outside and see your future wife holding your only son, and it will become clear: you were a Beatmania expert this entire time.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

The first paragraph was me then; a young, brash, reckless youth. "gently caress this", I'd say to my TV, "gently caress this, and gently caress you, stupid obscure music game."

The second paragraph is me now. I no longer consider myself a separate entity from my USKOC; it is as much an extension of me as I am an extension of it. I am one with it. It is one with me. When I'm flying through some cheesy eurobeat song at 160 BPM highspeed 2.5, it's as if God himself was typing a new version of the bible, seven keys at a time.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I like to play this game too.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Godmachine posted:

Use your thumbs, loosen up everything, and just relax. If you tense up it's harder to figure out how to hit weird chords.

Also play with two hands.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dewgy posted:

Also play with two hands.

Yeah, this. I started playing one handed because I figured it'd be easier, but you'll hit a rather nasty wall of "how the gently caress am I supposed to do this with one hand" eventually. I can play both ways now, and I'm getting better two handed, but yeah, life'll be easier if you just start out two handed.

e. Also, make good use of training mode. You can tweak the poo poo out of the speed, and by combining play speed with highspeed settings, you can slow the song down while still keeping a decent pace to it. This is how I beat Xepher L7 in Happy Sky - grinding it in training until I got the really hard parts down. Now I can play it in my sleep. Play it slow, then once you're able to clear it well, ramp up the speed, play again, etc.

It's also funny how you'll passively pick up skills as you go. I can now clear chords and chord combinations that I couldn't before, and I'm not sure why. :iiam:

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 9, 2008

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.
I spent about four months getting to Level 6. Then I found exactly how much each speed mod was worth, and started using a towel if I couldn't use speed mods to get up to at least 550 bpm. In about a week, I was playing "flashing 7's" (mostly level 9, some 10, pre Happy Sky scale).

Then I kind of stuck around and played casually for a year or two, not improving a lot, not playing often, until one day I picked it up and started using Random. After I started using Random, I passed my first Level 12 (A [a]) a few weeks later.

You'll progress at different points. But there are almost no Level 11-12 players who do not use constantly use Random, use both hands and both thumbs, and calculate their speed mods and Sudden+ precisely. If you're serious about getting good at this game, take advice from those who are already really good.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Giudecca posted:

I spent about four months getting to Level 6. Then I found exactly how much each speed mod was worth, and started using a towel if I couldn't use speed mods to get up to at least 550 bpm. In about a week, I was playing "flashing 7's" (mostly level 9, some 10, pre Happy Sky scale).

I'm not entirely convinced that you aren't some kind of Beatmania playing robot from the future. I wasn't before, and thanks to this post I continue to wonder. :colbert:

e. I really need to take up Sudden+. I'm starting to understand the advantages of it, whereas before I always just thought "So I don't see as much of the screen, so what?"

therealNeoS
Jul 13, 2001

Giudecca posted:

Then I kind of stuck around and played casually for a year or two, not improving a lot, not playing often, until one day I picked it up and started using Random. After I started using Random, I passed my first Level 12 (A [a]) a few weeks later.

You'll progress at different points. But there are almost no Level 11-12 players who do not use constantly use Random, use both hands and both thumbs, and calculate their speed mods and Sudden+ precisely. If you're serious about getting good at this game, take advice from those who are already really good.

Sud+ and Random is for pussies :colbert:

Kidding, I rarely use Sud+, but I use mirror a lot :D

I just finished unlocking all the Song Select music in IIDX GOOOLLD, random is the only option.

Also, I unlocked the second announcer voice. It's sure not the same as the stock voice saying HARD QUEER.

Oh and mnemonic sucks.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

This is the first CS release I've been "out of the loop" for, having procured a very nice setup on my PC a couple months back. Still don't have a strong desire to go find a copy just yet.

I'm jealous that one of the first 11s you passed was Vanessa, Xythar - did you use random?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

therealNeoS posted:

HARD QUEER

Uhhh, care to explain? I want to hear this! I don't think I've ever heard it say anything, or maybe I'm not paying enough attention.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Like an Accident posted:

This is the first CS release I've been "out of the loop" for, having procured a very nice setup on my PC a couple months back. Still don't have a strong desire to go find a copy just yet.

I'm jealous that one of the first 11s you passed was Vanessa, Xythar - did you use random?

Actually I just hard cleared it too :v: I think I got like 11 bads and 15 poors on that run, or around that.

Nope, no random. I think it'd be much harder with it.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Oh my friends, I haven't given up. Granted I can B some level 4s an utterly fail some level 3s, I still have hope.

So lets call the white keys 1-4 left to right, then the black keys ABC from left to right. This is how I try to play:

Left Thumb for 1 2
Left Index for A
Right Thumb for 3 4
Right Index for B C

Sometimes I'll try using the bottom-most joint of my index fingers for 1 4, but that just confuses my hands. The biggest problem is hitting odd combos like 2C or something. After that, scratching is a pain. However, I've read once you mod the record, it's a cinch because pinky scratching becomes a viable option.

therealNeoS
Jul 13, 2001

Code Jockey posted:

Uhhh, care to explain? I want to hear this! I don't think I've ever heard it say anything, or maybe I'm not paying enough attention.

Insert IIDX Gold CS. Start up Free Mode. At the song select, scroll to HARD CLEAR.

Enjoy him saying HARD QUEER.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

therealNeoS posted:

Insert IIDX Gold CS. Start up Free Mode. At the song select, scroll to HARD CLEAR.

Enjoy him saying HARD QUEER.

Nice. Now if I could find a way to rip that out for a new SMS alert sound for my phone...

And yeah, godmachine, that's basically my two-hand pattern too - I tend to dominate the keyboard with my right hand because it's my strongest, and scratch-heavy segments kill me two handed. I tend to try to switch to one handed during those segments, makes it easier as long as I can do the switch fast enough. Kind of like trying not to gently caress up star power in GH [if you're tilting instead of hitting select]

Some songs I play both ways - Era (nostalmix) L7 is a good example. I can easily full combo the first part two handed, then switch to one handed for the second part [the super slow part] and the rest. Then again, there's tons of time to do so, there's a huge silent gap between segments. I'll play Car of your Dreams L7 the same way, because the intro's just easier for me two handed, but the end isn't.

Get used to the "I can clear some level X but some is impossible". There are still 5s that totally destroy me, but I've been beating more and more 6s [and I've full combo'd a ton of 5s too]. I've come to accept that difficulty in IIDX is... three dimensional? You can't just trust the given difficulty level and song level [l7, h or a], each song has its own feel and challenges. All 5s are not alike, nor are 6s, and difficulty will fluctuate quite a bit between styles.

In closing, gently caress you, AA. I'll never beat you, will I? :smith:

photo kiosk of life
Aug 31, 2004

Not the best role model.

Godmachine posted:

Oh my friends, I haven't given up. Granted I can B some level 4s an utterly fail some level 3s, I still have hope.

So lets call the white keys 1-4 left to right, then the black keys ABC from left to right. This is how I try to play:

Left Thumb for 1 2
Left Index for A
Right Thumb for 3 4
Right Index for B C

Sometimes I'll try using the bottom-most joint of my index fingers for 1 4, but that just confuses my hands. The biggest problem is hitting odd combos like 2C or something. After that, scratching is a pain. However, I've read once you mod the record, it's a cinch because pinky scratching becomes a viable option.

You're really limiting yourself by designating fingers to keys. If possible, try using all of your fingers instead of just 3 or 4 fingers. Sometimes I'll use my left pinky to hit the left-most key, but other times I may just use my left middle finger. It all pretty much depends on the song and how the key patterns are.

And yeah, mod the turntable. I used wax paper when I first bought it at release and it's still going just fine.

setzer
Feb 25, 2007
I find it kind of hilarious that this thread has 1000+ responses

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
So I just cleared every level 3 song, with mostly Bs. Jesus I hate Higher.

I'll try using more fingers Kiosk. While I noticed it during 3, level 4 is certainly showing me the flaws of my system.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

photo kiosk of life posted:

You're really limiting yourself by designating fingers to keys. If possible, try using all of your fingers instead of just 3 or 4 fingers. Sometimes I'll use my left pinky to hit the left-most key, but other times I may just use my left middle finger. It all pretty much depends on the song and how the key patterns are.

And yeah, mod the turntable. I used wax paper when I first bought it at release and it's still going just fine.

Seconding this. While there's no such thing as the perfect way to position yourself, I've found that there are three very important things to keep in mind while you figure out what's best for you.

One, the most important thing of all, it needs to be comfortable for you. 3s and 4s are a huge challenge when you first start, but think of the harder stuff in your future. I don't mean the top-level ultra hard stuff, but things a couple levels ahead of you. They way you play right now might work for what you're doing, but will it make your hands cramp up and die when the game starts throwing more notes at you?

Two, being able to hit any key at a moment's notice. This doesn't mean you have to keep one finger on every button at all times. Lord knows I don't, but I'm nowhere as good as a bunch of people in here. Don't jump ahead and start using every finger for any given key, but train yourself in a couple new hand positions until they also become muscle memory. You're going to see some weird patterns that'll make your brain and fingers hate each other for a while, so having the flexibility of both will let you understand them a lot faster. This goes double when you start using Random.

Three, no matter where your hands are, you need to be able to hit the turntable while pressing keys on the same hand. Start now. Don't be like me, where you move your whole hand to scratch leaving the other hand to cover all the keys. A large part of my being stuck on 8s and really easy 9s is because I'm retraining my left hand to scratch and hit notes at the same time. Train yourself early to hit at least the two keys closest to the turntable while scratching.

#1 takes precedence over the other two, and obviously everybody learns to play differently, but if I had the various pieces of advice that I crammed into three points back when I first started I'd probably be a lot better than I am at this point because for as long as I've been playing I pretty much suck compared to how well I could be doing.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Xythar posted:

Actually I just hard cleared it too :v: I think I got like 11 bads and 15 poors on that run, or around that.

Goddamnit. I've played Vanessa around 20 times today and I still can't pass it. :suicide:

DSMArisen
Sep 10, 2007
Make it make money!
Limiting certain fingers to certain keys is the main thing that has prevented me from breaking the 11 barrier for the last 2 years or so. I can play wonderfully with left on 123 and 4567, but the second that a pattern gets too heavy on the 121212 or 67676767 trills I loving lose it.

Trying to get out of the habit is like learning how to be ambidextrous, it's really really hard...

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

setzer posted:

Wow, there's something just wrong about seeing you here.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

setzer posted:

Hi setzer :buddy: .

I met you at candyball last year , you had a crazy pop'n tattoo.

I still don't believe you can clear IIDX 12s on a Pop'n ASC.

e: fixed the spelling of 'tattoo' and resisted the urge to delete my entire post and replace it with

"I find it kind of hilarious that you have a pop'n tattoo"

Elephunk fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 10, 2008

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

It's very very funny that the culmination of all of IIDX (at that point) is headlined by a guy name "Michael a la mode."

SLEDLAKE had me cracking up too.

My skills aren't what they used to be, and I haven't updated my VJARMY scores since 10th. I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Thanks to you guys I spend like 15 minutes last night making my PS2 call me a queer [or a hard queer]

Mint Mania IIDX
Aug 21, 2007

by Fragmaster

Like an Accident posted:

I still don't believe you can clear IIDX 12s on a Pop'n ASC.
Unless you're Robo.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

It's very very funny that the culmination of all of IIDX (at that point) is headlined by a guy name "Michael a la mode."
Honestly, there are few things that would be nearly as entertaining.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
It's ok to bind fingers to keys when you're just starting, it really does take a lot of hand to key familarity to be able to move your hands like you have to when tackling some awkward arrangements, many of which you won't encounter until you start playing level 9+ songs and random. Don't try to force some universally approved playstyle on yourself just go with what comes naturally, you'll adjust to things as they come along.

Thumbs are important though, I wish someone told me to use thumbs when I started and even though I don't feel like I need to start using them now I certainly don't recommend playing thumbless for anyone.

Xythar posted:

Actually I just hard cleared it too I think I got like 11 bads and 15 poors on that run, or around that.

Vanessa is a really good song to try to random cheat with those double scales, if I got a good left to right arrangement on it I could see myself raising to a AA. I cleared the Another on a good random so yeah.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Went to the arcade tonight and beat the gold version of captivate on hyper. I don't know how since I can't beat hardly any 9's, yet I beat a hard 9 hahaha

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

There are two new versions of Captivate on IIDX Gold, and one old one. Two of them are 9's on Hyper, and one is a 9 on Another, and while the one from GuitarFreaks/DrumMania (Sabaki) is pretty hard, the other two are pretty easy 9's. If you passed Sabaki, good job.

Some very easy arcade 9's to me are:

Hyper:

Abstract
D.C. Fish
Eden
Giudecca
Gold Rush
Himawari
Love Shine
Murmur Twins
Nijiiro
Quasar
Rise'n Beauty
Rising in the Sun
Soldier's Waltz
Xenon

Another:

Ageha
Eko Jiji
Heaven Above
Low
Music to Your Head
Nasty!
Rugged Ash
Spark!
Star Field
Ultimate
We are Diskko Yottsu Uchi Inochi
Winning Eleven 9 Theme
Yoshida San

The ones I bolded I consider to be extra easy, with Nasty! [A] probably being the easiest 9 in IIDX.

Giudecca fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 12, 2008

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Posting to say I passed like five 11s today and one of them was Quasar [a]!

I finally feel like I've broken through the 11 wall, which is awesome. Now to deal with the 12 wall, which is... um... pretty hard.

edit: well that was quick

Xythar fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 12, 2008

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

I can't loving pass Scream Squad, and here are the 12's I have already passed:

Concertino in Blue [a]
Due Tomorrow [a]
Erasermotor Phantom [a]
Fascination Maxx [a]
Gigadelic [h]
Hype the Core [a]
Icarus [a]
Innocent Walls [h]
Kagonotori [a]
Laser Cruster [a]
One or Eight [a]
Please Don't Go [a]
Ristaccia [a]
Sakura [a]
Shounen A [a]
Solid State Squad [a]
V [a]

I don't know what to try and pass next, but it probably won't be Scream Squad. I can't come out of it with more than... 15%. On several occasions I've kicked the poo poo out of the [H] and gotten really excited and been like, "Wow, I passed Scream Squad [a]!" before I realized I didn't.

Yeah. gently caress Scream Squad. You know what else to gently caress? Just a Little Smile. But that's another complaint for another day.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

GOLD is so great. It's got far more style than DistorteD and a much better song selection.

In an effort to get at least some of my skill back, I'm playing through all the Dan courses until I fail. I got 100% on all of the "green" courses (I guess you'd call them beginner Dan courses or something) and 99% on 1-Dan so far.

Scales still kick my rear end. I hope to have those figured out once I get back to my old 9-10 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Giudecca posted:

I can't loving pass Scream Squad, and here are the 12's I have already passed:

I don't know what to try and pass next, but it probably won't be Scream Squad. I can't come out of it with more than... 15%. On several occasions I've kicked the poo poo out of the [H] and gotten really excited and been like, "Wow, I passed Scream Squad [a]!" before I realized I didn't.

Yeah. gently caress Scream Squad. You know what else to gently caress? Just a Little Smile. But that's another complaint for another day.

Huh. It was like my third 12, after one or eight [a] and Innocent Walls 7K.

I can't do JALS though, that poo poo is hard. I need to get more practice at it.