Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

hamaien posted:

I'm not that well-versed in explaining tone verbally, but I can get some sound clips later tonight.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. I look forward to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster

Altered State posted:

You are a gentleman and a scholar. I look forward to it!

Chiming in to support the posting of those clips. My band (that I play drums for) leaves their amps at my house, so I can play around with them whenever I like. There will, however, come a time (most likely around winter 08) where they won't be there anymore, and I need to find something for myself. The tiny terror is something I've been considering, so it will be AWESOME to hear it in action.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

noblystabbed posted:

Does that little guy really put out enough volume/power to be used at like a bar gig?

For future reference, power is not a measure of volume it is a measure of energy consumed per unit time. It has little to do with how loud the amp can actually get. Ever notice that cheaper 120 watt amps can't compete with the headroom and volume of a well designed more expensive ~30-50 watt amp?

I like the tiny terror. I've only used one a handful of times (friend's), it gets pretty raunchy in very orange fashion.

I mostly mic my amps and use them as personal monitors and this is plenty loud for that purpose, but I think doing a live gig with one of these things is kind of taking it out of it's element. It's definitely best suited to the recording environment, imo.

Edit: I should say that by taking it out of it's element I mean that it really has one tone, and that one tone it does really well, but it's not going to change much in the middle of a song. If you need more than one channel, say a clean channel, or a tighter sounding lead channel, you're going to need to bring another amp, a bit overkill for a standard bar gig.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 9, 2008

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
The great thing about Mandolin Cafe is the fact that a lot of builders post there, and people who visit a lot, and have the right tools and experience, frequently get around to learning to build instruments themselves.

This leads to a lot of relatively new builders setting up show and building instruments as a side-job. In turn, that can make Mandolin Cafe an excellent place to find new builders who are not yet ridiculously priced, even for custom instruments, and reviews of new builders from people who have purchased instruments from them.

My previous gear acquisition, the order for which started this thread, was made in this way. And I'm preparing to pull the trigger on another custom order.

The fellow began building about a year or more ago, and has made a number of instruments, some of which I thought looked like rear end, but since he started making them to sell, he's really branched out and come up with some great designs.

This is his newest offering...

Although what you're seeing there is an electric mandolin, what I'm going to have him build for me is actually a baritone 4- or 5-string mandolin version of this, tuned GDAEB. Imagine the neck about 4.5" longer than this one, but otherwise identical (except for the stereo jack he's got installed beside the mono).

Now come the months of waiting and saving...

Grumio posted:

Charangos are carved from a single piece of wood (usually Jacaranda or Naranjillo, with other woods in the really high-end models. That being said, the "original" charangos use a hollowed-out Armadillo as their sound box :(

I was looking for one of these on my last trip down to Mexico. Somehow I missed the part where they were Bolivian instruments.

I knew a couple guys who played these when I was back at FSU. After reading about how armadillos carry Hansen's Disease (a.k.a. leprosy) I was a little more standoffish to the instruments, even though I'm sure that I was just being a pussy.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
I just pulled the trigger on this bad boy:

Reverend Daredevil with Mean 90's and a Reverend hard case. Should be here in a few days!

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

GrAviTy84 posted:

For future reference, power is not a measure of volume it is a measure of energy consumed per unit time. It has little to do with how loud the amp can actually get. Ever notice that cheaper 120 watt amps can't compete with the headroom and volume of a well designed more expensive ~30-50 watt amp?
Err, no.

100 watts coming out of one amp's speaker terminals is exactly the same as 100 watts coming out from another amp's speaker terminals. In essence, if they both have the same amount of output power - measured in the same way - using the same speakers, then the loudness will be exactly the same.

There are some caveats to this though:
- First and foremost power is not measured in the same way between all amps; some companies will try to fudge their numbers by using a measure that makes their amp look more powerful than they really are. This has been discussed to death on these forums and I won't derail here.
- There is not a linear relationship between power and loudness; that is to say, outputting 200 watts of power is not going to be twice as loud as output with 100 watts of power - not by a longshot. You'd be surprised what little difference there is between a 50 watt amp and a 100 watt amp.
- Also of note is that power is often measured based on how much power can be output before a certain level of distortion is reached. In solid state amps, distortion is usually undesired. In tube amps, it is desired. Therefore, people don't usually mind pushing their tube amps into points where it is distorted. I'm oversimplifying here, but this has been discussed to death on these forums as well, so I won't go into it.
- "Better" quality amps are often more efficient than cheap ones. Therefore, their ratio of input/output power may be much lower than cheap amps. Input voltage is the number that you will usually see written on the back of an amp, near the power cord. This, however, is not a reliable measurement of output power and when someone says "I have a 30 watt amplifier" they usually mean output wattage, not input.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail but I just wanted to clear that up.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Walter posted:

This is his newest offering...

Although what you're seeing there is an electric mandolin, what I'm going to have him build for me is actually a baritone 4- or 5-string mandolin version of this, tuned GDAEB. Imagine the neck about 4.5" longer than this one, but otherwise identical (except for the stereo jack he's got installed beside the mono).

Now come the months of waiting and saving...

When it arrives, I will pay you $1,000,000 dollars to have sex with your mandolin.* That thing is seriously beautiful. What's it setting you back? And just WHAT THE HECK are ALL THOSE BLOODY KNOBS FOR?

*Disclaimer: will not actually do this.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 9, 2008

The Sandwich Maker
Feb 19, 2008

You want a sandwich? Have a sandwich. Have a danish.

PoorPeteBest posted:

I just pulled the trigger on this bad boy:

Reverend Daredevil with Mean 90's and a Reverend hard case. Should be here in a few days!

Now I see the real reason why you didn't wanna trade for my Hagstrom and I don't blame you for one second. Tell me all about it when it gets in!

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

AstroZamboni posted:

When it arrives, I will pay you $1,000,000 dollars to have sex with your mandolin.* That thing is seriously beautiful. What's it setting you back? And just WHAT THE HECK are ALL THOSE BLOODY KNOBS FOR?

Only thing holding me back is the waiting period. I'm waiting to hear from him so that we can work out the basics, but I'm just waiting for the go ahead and I'm going to send him the deposit. It's about a 6 month wait.

And for that particular instrument, there're extra knobs because he installed a stereo jack as well as a mono, and so there's (I think) a knob to blend the two, and a knob to control just the stereo jack.

One Arm Manny
May 17, 2008

PoorPeteBest posted:

Reverend Guitar

I think you're going to really like that guitar! I piked up a Reverend Rumblefish bass shortly before I registered. It plays better than a lot of the bigger name basses I have tried. They make some really nice instruments. Sadly, they don't make the basses anymore.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Just bought off eBay a "Circuit bent 4 step sequencer oscillator synth."

Sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra35lfA5RBM

Looks like this:

First synth type of thing for me, and I'm really excited to use it.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

ogopogo posted:

Just bought off eBay a "Circuit bent 4 step sequencer oscillator synth."

Sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra35lfA5RBM

Looks like this:

First synth type of thing for me, and I'm really excited to use it.

Wow that's pretty sweet. I really like all the blinking lights - and the crazy selection of sounds you get is amazing.

Too bad they sell in Canadian dollars :(. I long for the days when that was a good thing...

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I did some trading/ebaying recently and came up with the following:

Boss DD-20. More delay time than I'll need, but it's got four preset banks, which is what I was really after.

MXR/CAE MC401 Boost. Picked up the MC402 for real cheap a few weeks ago and loved the boost, but hated the OD. Unloaded the 402 for the 401 and now we're happy again.

EHX Stereo Pulsar. A real interesting tremolo pedal that lets you choose between square and sawtooth waveforms, and then which side of the wave to weight. Anything past about 11' on the rate knob is too fast to be useful, but so far I'm really digging the effect.

Boss RC2 Loop Station. 16 minutes of recording time into 11 banks and built-in drum accompaniment. So far I've just been using it as a practice tool, recording myself playing a verse/chorus and then punching out and soloing over the loop. I've got a couple of "Hey can you play guitar for our reception/party/whatever" situations coming up and this is going to be great.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

bisticles posted:

EHX Stereo Pulsar. A real interesting tremolo pedal that lets you choose between square and sawtooth waveforms, and then which side of the wave to weight. Anything past about 11' on the rate knob is too fast to be useful, but so far I'm really digging the effect.
The Pulsar is the most interesting Trem out there - like most EHX stuff, you can get some ridiculous sounds with the knobs set to the extreme. It's almost like a ring mod.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Uncle Caveman posted:

The Pulsar is the most interesting Trem out there - like most EHX stuff, you can get some ridiculous sounds with the knobs set to the extreme. It's almost like a ring mod.

I liked the warmth of the tube-driven EHX Wiggler better tbh.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

3toes posted:

I liked the warmth of the tube-driven EHX Wiggler better tbh.

The Wiggler is so cool, but I couldn't really justify the cost, considering how little I honestly use a tremolo.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

bisticles posted:

The Wiggler is so cool, but I couldn't really justify the cost, considering how little I honestly use a tremolo.

My roommate got one for $95 shipped on eBay not too long ago. Sounds amazing through his Big Muff Pi all creamed up and poo poo.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Wow, it's like effects/pedal week here.

Just got these two yesterday:

Really like the delay and the sound I get from the trem is cool, but it's proving difficult to fine-tune its timing- that's why I wanted a tap-tempo trem before. That one may not last.

cloudnine
Jul 13, 2007

by Peatpot
She's not much, but she's mine.

Yamaha 2335.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Squire Deluxe Jaxx V bass, was in the market for a 5 string and came across one of these, playing it for the gently caress of it. Never thought I would buy a Squire, but this is a drat fine bass. The active pickups really kick out the poo poo.

I tried one of these at Guitar Center today and I was really surprised at just how nice of a bass it was. They had it listed for $300 new, but I didn't ask for a quote or anything. How much did you pay for yours?

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster
got a little Fender today:

I thought that the small size would be awkward, but its actually pretty comfortable to play.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Carbohydrates posted:

Wow, it's like effects/pedal week here.

Just got these two yesterday:

Really like the delay and the sound I get from the trem is cool, but it's proving difficult to fine-tune its timing- that's why I wanted a tap-tempo trem before. That one may not last.

do you plan on using the carbon copy as an ambiance-maker, rather than a straight up delay, considering it doesnt have tap?...Ive always been interested in these, but havent had a chance to try one out for myself.

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001
I've been bass-scouring on ebay for a friend's little brother who's been playing upright for the past year but wants to get an electric. Picked up a Kramer Focus 7000 for 200$ shipped on ebay. Got it today. Nice neck, nice punch, lots of tone options, with a p in the front and their double-j pickup in the back, and the ability to do phase inversion with a switch.Seems like a great starter bass, it's got lots of growl, even when played through a lovely peavey keyboard amp which I am considering donating to him as a bass amp.
Ebay Picture:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

do you plan on using the carbon copy as an ambiance-maker, rather than a straight up delay, considering it doesnt have tap?...Ive always been interested in these, but havent had a chance to try one out for myself.
I've been using it for a lot. I made a little tape mark where I need the delay set for the one song I use it to dub with, but I'm mostly using it for ambiance and occasionally slapback. Again, like the tremolo, a tempo switch would be nice, but it's not nearly as important for me as it is on the tremolo. In fact, I'm officially returning the trem because of that lack of feature.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

One Arm Manny posted:

I think you're going to really like that guitar! I piked up a Reverend Rumblefish bass shortly before I registered. It plays better than a lot of the bigger name basses I have tried. They make some really nice instruments. Sadly, they don't make the basses anymore.

Thats a lovely bass, my guitarist bought a Reverend guitar recently, though I think he regreats the purchase now I'm still a big fan of it.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Carbohydrates posted:

Dammit, this came out like a month after I bought EHX's #1 Echo. This is everything I want in a delay and nothing extra (except the mod). Does it have any noticeable volume drop when you turn it on (like the EHX), or is it just smooth as butter?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
No volume drop at all. It's incredibly sweet.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Well, I don't like to count my chickens before they've hatched, but I'm going to anyway because I'm excited.

I'm currently talking to Keith from https://www.aramateffects.com about putting me together a few pedals. You may recall that I've been very happy with the Aramat Mojo Fuzz, and it just so happens that the whole lineup of Aramat gain-related pedals are things that I: A), do not have, and B) really want. You guys may or may not know that he is currently dealing with a very pernicious brain cancer, and I am extremely sad that such a talent is going through such hard times, but I am also honored that he has said that he has time to make me a few pedals (everything is on a "email me and ask" basis with him, now, so it was kind of an iffy prospect). I'll either be getting just two, or three, depending on whether he feels up to putting three together for me.

All his pedals are on this page, so I won't bother re-linking it for each one.

Either way, I'm definitely getting the following two:

Aramat Effects Green Machine modified TS-808

Actually, the one he's making for me is his new issue of this circuit, no longer called the Treble Master. It's now the Dual Master, and has not only the modified Rangemaster circuit, but also a toggle for an even, warm clean boost for full-range boosting.

and hopefully also the third,

Aramat Effects Soul Patch, a thicker fuzz than the Mojo Fuzz (it seems somewhat less popular, but the people who like it, REALLY like it - they keep describing it as super "hairy;" despite my great deal of experience with all sorts of OD and distortion pedals, I'm a relative newbie to Fuzz so I'm pretty excited at the prospect of finding out what the hell it means for a Fuzz to be hairy versus less hairy).

I am most looking forward to the two sure things, because a Treble Booster and a Tubescreamer are two very conspicuous absences from my pedalboard as of late. The Soul Patch would be an awesome addition if he's feeling up to it, but if he isn't, I'll understand (and start trying to trade for one).

I was going to go with a purely computer-based setup, but then I found out that if you run pedals in front of your DI box, the modelers are of such a complexity and authenticity that you get a very realistic response from the pedal-amp combination... Not to mention that I'll be hanging on to two of my real amps anyway.

My wife has already agreed that it's a good idea, and we're both unusually sad (given that we have never met him in real life) at the fact that this really nice guy who makes great stuff is suffering so badly. I take a bit of comfort, small though it is, at the fact that these pedals are all fairly simple circuits, and even given the high quality parts he's using in them, he's making a good profit on each model which will hopefully help him cover some medical expenses. I might send something extra to try to help in that regard, because he really is as nice as he can be and life just isn't fair.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Trigger pulled.

I took a stroll up into tax free New Hampshire yesterday and finally picked up a Highway One Upgrade Strat and a pod 2.0. This was all after getting lost in the ghettos of Nashua. The best part is that I payed less than the sticker price of the guitar for both the pod and guitar. Ended up only spending $700 in cash after two gift cards and that 10% coupon GC is doing right now. The Laptop is brand new too so I thought I'd include it also.

Glamor Shot:

What's the best way to clean a fretboard without taking the strings off?

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 13, 2008

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Thoogsby posted:

Glamor Shot:

I really love anything Fender when it's just cream/maple fretboard or black/white pickguard; looks fantastic in contrast to the heaps of tasteless bright crap sold as starter guitars.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Thoogsby posted:

Trigger pulled.

I took a stroll up into tax free New Hampshire yesterday and finally picked up a Highway One Upgrade Strat and a pod 2.0. This was all after getting lost in the ghettos of Nashua. The best part is that I payed less that the sticker price of the guitar for both the pod and guitar. Ended up only spending $700 is cash after two gift cards and that 10% coupon GC is doing right now. The Laptop is brand new too so I thought I'd include it also.

Glamor Shot:

What's the best way to clean a fretboard without taking the strings off?
I've got the same DV9700. =)

You can try FastFret for cleaning the frets, but not really when it comes to cleaning the fretboard. http://www.zzounds.com/item--GHSMSFF

Dig the HWY1 Strat. I have a HWY1 P Bass myself... ahh such a dream and I never thought I'd be a P guy.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Took another picture that shows off the paint a little better. I had mixed feelings about the flat black but I love it now.

I have to stop playing it because I'm ripping the skin off of my fingers. Should I be worried that my Squire seemed to hold tune longer than this guy? Maybe it's because I can bend so much easier but it seems to lose tune quickly.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Did you change the strings, or are they the same ones that were on in the GC?

By the way, I had a highway 1 telecaster, and I'll tell you now that the finish is going to fade very fast in certain spots, and it's going to look gorgeous when it does.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I did not change the strings. Should I?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Yeah, it would probably solve most of your tuning problems.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Change the strings and make sure you A) wind them properly and B) stretch them properly

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

I'm still figuring this beast out, but I just got the CompactFlash card so the real fun can begin.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I've got a Marshall TSL 60w head running through a 412 1960cab A. I only use the clean channel on my Marshall and run the distortion through my pedals anyways. Can the Tiny Terror push my big cab ? Probably a stupid question. I'd like to replace my big marshall cab with a smaller orange cab anyways though. The TT combo sounds loving awesome though.

God why do you use pedal distortion when you have a marshall tube head? I've got a TSL also...2x12 combo, but I just figured people used pedals because they couldn't afford a good head (ie Mesa Boogie / Marshall / etc)...why why?

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Mr. WTF posted:

God why do you use pedal distortion when you have a marshall tube head? I've got a TSL also...2x12 combo, but I just figured people used pedals because they couldn't afford a good head (ie Mesa Boogie / Marshall / etc)...why why?

Still doesn't beat the guy running a metal zone into a dual rectifier's clean channel. I think that was this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

ZombiePeanut posted:

Still doesn't beat the guy running a metal zone into a dual rectifier's clean channel. I think that was this thread.

Good christ it certainly doesn't. It's like sawing the neck off of your les paul and taping on one you drew on a piece of paper to use instead.