Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Penguin Radar posted:

That pic makes them look very tame, the red is loving bright firetruck red. I bought them online, and they looked a little more discrete in the pics, not quite as loving clown like.

So you bought red camo trousers and DIDN'T expect them to be clown like? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Penguin Radar posted:

After sliding along the road in normal jeans, I decided it was time to invest in some proper pants. Behold!:

Those don't look like they have any armor in them at all? How are they proper pants?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Are those actual motorcycle pants with some kevlar and maybe armor? Or are they just army style cargo pants?

Penguin Radar
Oct 22, 2005

Yeah, I probably should have added that. They're called Draggin's, and are completely kevlar lined. I've seen videos of how they test these things by dragging dummies behind a car on a runway, and they hold up pretty well.

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007

Manawski posted:

I'm 6'2" and about 170#, so I'm pretty spindly. Are there any choices better than others for a 2 piece leather suit, or do I pretty much need to piece one together on my own?

It seems like all of the one pieces are totally out of the question for me, as the correct height would screw up my chest size (38") and the right chest size has it so I should be about 5'8".

Am I looking at going to a tailor, or can I get close without blowing a ton of money?

I'm 6' and 135# and face a similar problem

wrightme43
Jan 8, 2007

"Nuke a gay baby whale for Jesus!"

pr0zac posted:

Those don't look like they have any armor in them at all? How are they proper pants?

They really are not. I should of had my leather pants on. They did fine in a low side slide, had I jammed on the front brake and slammed down, or the rear and spit off the top there would of been no armor to protect my joints. I thought when I hopped up my rear end was going to be ripped up, but the kevlar layer did fine. I have my dirt bike knee armor to wear under them.

I also have Fieldsheer perf. leather pants, fieldsheer booster pants, the fieldsheer highland II suit, and j. rocket mesh pants.

The upside to the kevlar pants is they are comfy, and look nice. What had happened is over time I found myself just wearing jeans, boots, leather jacket, helmet and gloves for trips into town or to go meet with people. I figured these were better than just wearing jeans. I sure didnt mean to test them out, but I did, and I was impressed with how well they held up.

Wearing them out railing on Hwy 28 thru NC, GA, and SC was not really smart. I have a thread on the fz6 forum that disects the wreck, causes, effects, how I put myself in a position to wreck, the line selection that made it impossible to complete the turn in my lane with my skill level.

I will copy and paste it.

There is a whole lot more discussion with the rest of the people that were there. These are the most important points.

If If IF IF its ok with the mods I will link the whole thread. In the space of two hours I crashed, then less than a mile from the house we had rented, leading, a lady waves us by, she (in jeep cherokee0 is behind her husband in a truck. We pull out to pass and her husband turns left in front of us all. I stopped, the bike behind me was two with a givi case. He did a two up stoppie into my foot and rear tire. No one was hurt impact at approx 5 mph No damage to bodies but the bikes to a hurting. The bike behind him was a 08 R6 and his rear wheel only missed his front when it came down by inches. All in all we had a great time, but it could of been very bad.

I have 18,xxx miles experince on the FZ6 and 10,xxx on the ninja 250, plus many hours on the XR200R. I have read and read, and spent many hours practicing. Basicly I messed up and my gear saved my rear end.

My wreck was me. I wrecked my bike. I did it right. But I wrecked it. I apexed in the wrong spot, and then had to turn it more. I did not see that turn went tighter and tighter.
Had there been oncoming traffic I would probley not be alive to speak with you all.

I could of grabed some rear brake and wrecked. I could of grabbed some front brake and wrecked. I could of run wide across the double yellow into oncoming lane (this is one thing that happened when I first started and I made big deal of never doing it again. I would ride into the ground first). I could of been hanging off before entering the turn.

I did what I read to do in that situation. I leaned it in further instead of using survival reactions.

How it could of been avoided.

PRACTICE FREAKING TRAILBRAKING AND GET GOOD AT IT!!!!!!!!!
Do not run a pace faster than you feel good about on the street. NO MATTER WHAT EGO SAYS!!!!!!!!!!!! I had said at least twice I did not feel comfortable at the pace, other people did not either. I wont ride with fast groups of more than three on the street again, and even then the spacing needs to be larger for ME!
IF YOU CANT SEE WHERE IT GOES..... ITS A DECREASING RADIUS even when it isnt. That simple. I put my bike in the wrong spot and it was not going thru that corner in my lane with my skill level.
I was worn out.
I was very very hungry and my legs and arms get trembley when I get that hungry. We were going for food because I was really really hungry.
I was very very thirsty.
It was more than one thing that put me in a position to crash.

I am fine. My bike is hurt. I could be dead!!
Thats MY COMPLETE AND TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY!!!
I could of stopped went my own way.

In the future for me and only for me. I will not ride with in a group with out a pretrip discussion of rules, skill levels, and speed. That simple.

I feel looking back and thinking almost nonstop about it our group should of been split up into smaller sections based on skill and comfort level.

Who does every single thing that lead up my crash come back to?

ME!!

I did it. I made a HUGE HUGE HUGE withdrawl from my Luck bag. I have worked alot on my Skill bag. Now I need to work on several more things.
I need track days, and I need riderskills training with instructors working with me. I learn well. I love to learn.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Anuv posted:

Dang, I didn't think a pair of riding jeans would hold up like that. Gonna go get a pair tomorrow.

What brand/style of riding jeans were they?

wrightme43
Jan 8, 2007

TurboLuvah posted:

What brand/style of riding jeans were they?

Shift Torque jeans. Kevlar long shorts inside, and the knees down to the mid shin. 99.95$ from motosport dot com shipped 2 day air.
The 30 waist fits to 32, the 32 waist fits to 34. 34 inseam in all the sizes so they are long standing but fit good riding.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

wrightme43 posted:

PRACTICE FREAKING TRAILBRAKING AND GET GOOD AT IT!!!!!!!!!

I agree with everything you say except this. If you're coming in too hot to a DR corner, there is no way that by the time the corner tightens up on you, you're going to be able to trailbrake your way to save it. You have a limited amount of traction, and if you haven't correctly identified the DR corner at entrance, you're going to be going way too fast for your brakes to save you. Plus you're going to be transfering weight to the front, screwing up the ideal weight distribution, causing your max available lean to be lower, and increasing your chances of washing the front in a situation where you're already demanding a lot of the front tire.

Trailbraking correctly demands a different line, a different approach, and honestly, you shouldn't be trailbraking on the street. Why bother? You don't win anything for trailing it deep into the corners, no lap timer, no trophy, just get your braking done early and safely.

IMO, you did everything right, as long as you stayed on the gas. Shutting off the throttle midcorner will cause the front to wash as well, because weight will transfer up to the front.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 9, 2008

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Though I think its stupid when people refer to things like Draggin' jeans as proper motorcycle protective gear, I definitely see the use for slow speed riding around town and could see myself getting some if not for one thing, they are all ugly as hell. Kind of defeats the purpose of something you can wear off the bike. Someone really needs to make a pair in a cut and wash that actually looks good. Maybe I'll buy some kevlar fabric and make my own.

wrightme43
Jan 8, 2007

I stayed on the throttle I was trying for every bit of ground clearance I could get.
I may be wrong on the trailbraking. Here is why I thought that.

I have been setting my speed before entrance. Maybe I could of braked in the entrance as I saw it tighten up. I dont know. I just want to learn to do it on the track. I think if I could of lost a few mph I could of made it thru. I dont know that for a fact. I do believe if I had that skill practiced and learned it would of been one more thing I could of used. Again I may be wrong and I am still learning and will be as long as I ride.
The guys that were behind me said I did right. Its really hard to sit here and say for sure. I want to at least put it out there so others can learn from my screw up. The main cause more than anything was Ego. I do know I didnt take part in any of K. Codes described Survival Reactions. I wanted to close the trottle and grab some brake really really really bad. I knew it would just make it worse though.

I wanted to stand it up and run into the oncoming lane but thats just stupid too. I put myself in a really really bad spot.

I never lost traction untill the rear wheel was up off the ground.

wrightme43
Jan 8, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Though I think its stupid when people refer to things like Draggin' jeans as proper motorcycle protective gear, I definitely see the use for slow speed riding around town and could see myself getting some if not for one thing, they are all ugly as hell. Kind of defeats the purpose of something you can wear off the bike. Someone really needs to make a pair in a cut and wash that actually looks good. Maybe I'll buy some kevlar fabric and make my own.

I think these look good. Thats what I have.

http://www.motosport.com/street/product/SHIFT-TORQUE-STREET-JEANS/?catalogId=109289&refine=1&sBrand=Shift&srchHistoryURL=u0yfs5dj||parentCategoryID~3^superParentCategoryID~category_root^parentCategoryName~Sport^categoryID~418^categoryName~Gear@71yqhlqw||parentCategoryID~418^categoryID~448^categoryName~Pants%20and%20Chaps@1z6m6ios||sort_field~Name%20(Ascending)@b9ilhx5h||refineType~1^sub_attr_name~Brand^refineValue~Shift

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

wrightme43 posted:

I stayed on the throttle I was trying for every bit of ground clearance I could get.
I may be wrong on the trailbraking. Here is why I thought that.

I have been setting my speed before entrance. Maybe I could of braked in the entrance as I saw it tighten up. I dont know. I just want to learn to do it on the track. I think if I could of lost a few mph I could of made it thru. I dont know that for a fact. I do believe if I had that skill practiced and learned it would of been one more thing I could of used. Again I may be wrong and I am still learning and will be as long as I ride.
The guys that were behind me said I did right. Its really hard to sit here and say for sure. I want to at least put it out there so others can learn from my screw up. The main cause more than anything was Ego. I do know I didnt take part in any of K. Codes described Survival Reactions. I wanted to close the trottle and grab some brake really really really bad. I knew it would just make it worse though.

I wanted to stand it up and run into the oncoming lane but thats just stupid too. I put myself in a really really bad spot.

I never lost traction untill the rear wheel was up off the ground.

Well, then...sometimes you just make a mistake and it comes to bite you in the rear end. I've made that same mistake you did once before and I just got lucky...glad you're alright and that the bike isn't completely hosed.

The problem with trailbraking into the really decieving corners is usually there isn't enough time in the corner, and you're on the wrong line for it anyways, and you should already be at maintenence throttle once you put it into a corner. The only way to handle blind corners correctly is to treat them as blind corners, and come in slowly until you know what's around that corner. Trailbraking may save you from a DR corner, if you know it's there and to trailbrake in, but trailbraking into every blind corner is just...silly. Trailbraking also won't save you from a car that's drifting over the DY, a sudden patch of oil or antifreeze or gravel...

Honestly...sounds like you did everything great. Sucks that you went down, but sometimes it happens. Get up, brush yourself off, start getting your kicks out on the track, and keep the street for cruising :)

I should also note that I trailbrake very, very little as a whole, and have no issues. Some people are obsessed with dragging the brakes up to the apex and then powering out, and for the most part, they end up sitting on the brakes when they should be on the gas (A group trackday riders excepted). It's a tool, and I only find it useful when I'm coming in really, really hot, and I'll trail them maybe 1/3rd of the way through the corner if that's the case.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 9, 2008

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

wrightme43 posted:

I think these look good. Thats what I have.

http://www.motosport.com/street/product/SHIFT-TORQUE-STREET-JEANS/?catalogId=109289&refine=1&sBrand=Shift&srchHistoryURL=u0yfs5dj||parentCategoryID~3^superParentCategoryID~category_root^parentCategoryName~Sport^categoryID~418^categoryName~Gear@71yqhlqw||parentCategoryID~418^categoryID~448^categoryName~Pants%20and%20Chaps@1z6m6ios||sort_field~Name%20(Ascending)@b9ilhx5h||refineType~1^sub_attr_name~Brand^refineValue~Shift

The wash ain't bad, but they are baggier than my textile overpants. Thats the issue, its either grandpa light blue wash, or hip-hop star baggie. Kevlar is cheap on ebay though: http://tinyurl.com/6z22uq , so I might see if I can convince my seamstress friend to sew some into jeans I already have, since I already own kevlar thread.

Edit: (anyone have 1.45 mil I can borrow?) : http://tinyurl.com/62k53g

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

wrightme43 posted:

...I should of had my leather pants on.
...but it could of been very bad.
...I could of grabed some rear brake and wrecked. I could of grabbed some front brake and wrecked. I could of run wide a...

Glad you are okay.

However, it's "could have" and "should have not "could of".

Sorry, just bothered me. :)

wrightme43
Jan 8, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Glad you are okay.

However, it's "could have" and "should have not "could of".

Sorry, just bothered me. :)

LOL man, I am fron Ky. You guys are just lucky at least half the words are spelled sorta right. LOL

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Bird-o-matic posted:

I'm more or less that size, and I found the Teknic suits fit pretty well. I haven't tried very many brands, but there are definitely off the shelf one and two piece suits for skinny people.

I'm glad you mentioned Teknic, I found a pretty awesome deal at Iron Pony

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Manawski posted:

I'm 6'2" and about 170#, so I'm pretty spindly. Are there any choices better than others for a 2 piece leather suit, or do I pretty much need to piece one together on my own?

It seems like all of the one pieces are totally out of the question for me, as the correct height would screw up my chest size (38") and the right chest size has it so I should be about 5'8".

Am I looking at going to a tailor, or can I get close without blowing a ton of money?

Some guy on SVRider is starting a business geared at making "inexpensive, not cheap" custom leathers. Link to SVRider thread. His website is a mess right now. Not sure where he's at right now, but it might be worth looking into if you're willing to wait a while.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Zenaida posted:

Some guy on SVRider is starting a business geared at making "inexpensive, not cheap" custom leathers. Link to SVRider thread. His website is a mess right now. Not sure where he's at right now, but it might be worth looking into if you're willing to wait a while.

poo poo $425 for a one piece. I'll wait and see the quality of the stuff, but I don't think I could pass that up!

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Zenaida posted:

Fuckin' A. The detailed measurements you have to get made actually make me very hopeful for this guy. A fully custom-tailored one piece leather suit for <$500? Beanstalks rejoice :woop: :toot: Sure, it probably won't be Vanson, but this looks well worth the wait.

Edit: There's also this guy and he seems to get good reviews as well, but the website he has is equally lovely.

Manawski fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 10, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
i dig his logo.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

pr0zac posted:

The wash ain't bad, but they are baggier than my textile overpants. Thats the issue, its either grandpa light blue wash, or hip-hop star baggie. Kevlar is cheap on ebay though: http://tinyurl.com/6z22uq , so I might see if I can convince my seamstress friend to sew some into jeans I already have, since I already own kevlar thread.

Shift makes another style called the Lodown. Not sure why they're cheaper than the Torque model, but they also have Kevlar in rear end/hips/knee areas, and they're drat good looking jeans. I have them in both the regular blue and indigo colors, and I can take pictures of how they look if you want.

I've had the Teknic Rage and Teknic Warrior aramid-reinforced jeans, and the Shift Lodown ones are, so far, the best-looking ones, at least on me. No one's suspected that they were anything but a regular pair of (in my opinion) stylish jeans. They're kind of a boot-cut style, I think.

Fake edit: whatever, I took a picture. They're filthy with chain grease and whatnot, but you can mostly tell they're pretty standard non-Grandpa jeans:

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

A guy out here in the pay makes custom leathers similar to Spartan for the same price. It's good stuff, and gear is gear.

Yeah Manawski linked to Tilt's stuff. I know several people with them and they all Love Tilt's stuff.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

TheTrend posted:

A guy out here in the pay makes custom leathers similar to Spartan for the same price. It's good stuff, and gear is gear.

Yeah Manawski linked to Tilt's stuff. I know several people with them and they all Love Tilt's stuff.

Do you know if any of those people had a fall on those leathers?

It would seem that Tilt and Spartan are pretty much the same 'idea' but with different designs. I'm considering talking to Tilt just because he has options for reinforcement panels and has more operational time with people testing the suits.

It was all looking good until that one guy crash tested his leathers (which were a first-run, I guess) and blew some seams out. The leather itself looks like it held up really well, given the speed of the crash that guy made (65mph). Of course someone had to start bitching about full grain vs. top grain leather at that point. Thread-making GBS threads ensued, and the thread hasn't been posted in since 5/31. I think I might send Tilt an e-mail to see what's up because they seem to offer more options for customization.

He said that he's reworking (or has reworked) the panels that came apart, so it really shouldn't be an issue anymore. Maybe I can get a copy of the pattern to see if they fixed the panels around the rear end-area.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Nate Falls posted:

Shift makes another style called the Lodown. Not sure why they're cheaper than the Torque model, but they also have Kevlar in rear end/hips/knee areas, and they're drat good looking jeans. I have them in both the regular blue and indigo colors, and I can take pictures of how they look if you want.

I've had the Teknic Rage and Teknic Warrior aramid-reinforced jeans, and the Shift Lodown ones are, so far, the best-looking ones, at least on me. No one's suspected that they were anything but a regular pair of (in my opinion) stylish jeans. They're kind of a boot-cut style, I think.

Fake edit: whatever, I took a picture. They're filthy with chain grease and whatnot, but you can mostly tell they're pretty standard non-Grandpa jeans:

Seconding the recomendation for these. I have a pair of Draggin Jeans and they are definitely the grandpa/midwestern line dance jeans. I bought a pair of the torque jeans for my brother and he loves them. Far more stylish and I think the protection is just as good.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Manawski posted:

Do you know if any of those people had a fall on those leathers?

It would seem that Tilt and Spartan are pretty much the same 'idea' but with different designs. I'm considering talking to Tilt just because he has options for reinforcement panels and has more operational time with people testing the suits.

It was all looking good until that one guy crash tested his leathers (which were a first-run, I guess) and blew some seams out. The leather itself looks like it held up really well, given the speed of the crash that guy made (65mph). Of course someone had to start bitching about full grain vs. top grain leather at that point. Thread-making GBS threads ensued, and the thread hasn't been posted in since 5/31. I think I might send Tilt an e-mail to see what's up because they seem to offer more options for customization.

He said that he's reworking (or has reworked) the panels that came apart, so it really shouldn't be an issue anymore. Maybe I can get a copy of the pattern to see if they fixed the panels around the rear end-area.

Ummm I know one guy who races AFM crashed and broke his collar bone but apparently the suit held up well. I don't know if it will handle more than one crash maybe 2. Daniel (tilt ) doesn't resew patches as far as I know. There was a thread on barf about one of his early run (very first run iirc) blew a seem in a 65 mile an hour get off when the guy landed on his rear end. There was a poo poo storm over it, but its no different than any other suit really. an 1100 dollar dianese will blow a seem just as easy as a $500 tilt suit will. But the added reinforcement and a lot of his stuff is all taken from crash R&D and in all honestly his $500 suit is probably just as good as anything up to $1000 big boy stuff because their poo poo is all patter cut anyway.

I came very very VERY close to pulling the trigger on a Tilt suit, i just got a cheaper suit which is why i went the other way, but i'm selling that tz-1 set and am giving Daniel a call. I wouldn't wear anything i wouldn't reccomend to some one else :)

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
SportBikeTrackGear has some good suits on super sale if you're the right size (38 or 40) and you want/don't mind Green or Yellow. I don't personally like the white graphic crap but it has its purposes I guess. Their service is highly praised on several different motorcycle forums I am on. I'd buy the yellow one if I wasn't so broke and didn't need other things first.

LINK

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Fieldsheer has a pretty cool graph if you're wondering about the comparison between 600D Carbolex and leather and so on. There's a few other materials out there but 600D Carbolex seems pretty common for most textile jackets from various companies.

Hopefully this hasn't been posted, of course.

Penguin Radar
Oct 22, 2005

pr0zac posted:

Well, I know what I'm doing from now on. I thought kevlar was hella expensive, but that looks to be literally the same stuff my camos are lined with. I'll just buy a couple of pairs of my usual jeans and get Mum to line them for me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I've met daniel from tilt and he seems like a good guy, willing to learn from the other makers and modify his suits accordingly. He's fitting 2 of my friends who are afm racers, and made a crapload of modifications to suit their requests.

I'd trust his stuff as well as I'd trust any 425$ suit. It's a one shot suit, pretty much no matter what, and repairing it will be a lost cause. Way better than anything else you can get for that kind of money, and it'll fit better, which is very important for good protection. I had a 1000$ Joe Rocket suit, but the arms were so drat big in an accident I would have no elbow armor. Useless.

I've seen suits tear seams on 1100$ Dianese suits in low speed accidents, and I've seen 300$ AGV suits take 80mph offs and look like they were untouched. It just depends. Buy the best gear you can afford, first in fit and then in brand name, and rest is luck.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 10, 2008

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Do they make good reinforced jeans for girls?

edit// well, really, I'm just trying to find any sort of female riding pants. I have no idea what is good and what is not when it comes to women's apparel

iroc_dis fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 10, 2008

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

iroc_dis posted:

Do they make good reinforced jeans for girls?

edit// well, really, I'm just trying to find any sort of female riding pants. I have no idea what is good and what is not when it comes to women's apparel

These aren't jeans though :v:

p.s. these are for real on my list of poo poo to get

e: newenough.com has a pretty good ladies' section. I shop there for most of my stuff.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

teknicolor posted:

These aren't jeans though :v:

p.s. these are for real on my list of poo poo to get

e: newenough.com has a pretty good ladies' section. I shop there for most of my stuff.

Haha I'm not sure she needs Dainese track pants quite yet

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

iroc_dis posted:

Haha I'm not sure she needs Dainese track pants quite yet

What conditions will she be riding in? Commuting? Rain? Hot weather?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Just got back after buying A* SP-1's, A* SMX-4's and a Shoei XR-1000.

The boots are ok'ish. Left boot is digging my ankle a bit, but the right isn't; my right arch is a little sore, but the left isn't :confused: Otherwise they're fine.

The gloves are a very snug fit, but the next size up had a lot of bunching around the joints/palm. I reasoned that it's better to let it stretch to my hand than to start on a poor fit.

The helmet is fine, great fit.

Should I be concerned with these thoughts?

E: Oh yeah, I didn't buy any mainbody gear yet, because he recommended I look into textiles more. I went up there looking for leathers but I have a bit of doubt now.

kcer fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 10, 2008

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Leathers offer the best all round protection. If you can afford them then you probably should. However they're not always as comfortable in adverse weather (both hot and cold), and if you are planning on spending most of your time riding in 40c+ or 0c then you might want to reconsider.

Textiles can protect well, but check out the abrasion chart that French Canadian just posted. It gives you an idea of what to expect in a slide. If you hit anything then you're probably buggered anyway.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

teknicolor posted:

What conditions will she be riding in? Commuting? Rain? Hot weather?

Riding on the back of my bike for short trips of < 4 hours and in mainly hot weather.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Argh so I caved in and cancelled my order for that nearly all-black Alpinestars jacket, after hearing from various people, including the forums, that I will likely melt in the heat.

It's still leather, but the silver color and large amount of perforations should hopefully keep me a lot cooler (also this thing is pretty drat flashy aheh).

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2132

I just hope it fits. I got the smallest size they have, but I don't quite match all the measurements. I may just have to deal with my short arms, unless I also get a textile jacket that has sleeve adjustments.

Such as...

http://www.revzilla.com/product/fieldsheer-track-paddock-ii-textile-jacket

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

iroc_dis posted:

Riding on the back of my bike for short trips of < 4 hours and in mainly hot weather.

Ok here's a small list, organized by type:

Mesh:
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/ladies_venture_air_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html
http://www.newenough.com/protective..._overpants.html
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/ladies_mesh_tex_2_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html (I have these, they fit pretty well, I have big hips and a small waist)

Textile:
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/ladies_ballistic_7_motorcycle_pants.html
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/ladies_ht_2_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html

Leather:
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/ladies_sport_tour_leather_motorcycle_overpants.html

What I'm trying to say is that there are lots of ladies things available. Newenough has a great return policy too, so if they don't fit she can get something that does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I bought my girlfriend these:
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/river_road/ladies_mojave_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html
for riding on the back of my bike. They are so hilariously good quality for $30 its nuts. I'm almost jealous seeing as I spent 4 times as much for some Joe Rocket overpants that are no better if not worse.