Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

CanuckBassist posted:

I'm not sure how to delete an icon unless you do it manually with the icons file, which is a pain.

The only way I know of is to use Customize to "hide" the icon (or Categories to put it under another icon).

Also, just to state the obvious, if the icon is a web bookmark (or whatever they call them), when you get the icons "wiggly", there'll be an X in the upper left of the web bookmark icon which will delete it if tapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

CanuckBassist posted:

Have you tried clicking on the dialog box? :)

The keyboard will automatically pop up whenever you click on a box that you can type in.

That's exactly what we were trying to do, finally it took (small dialog box).. the first few times we tried it didn't work.

Also, thanks for the tips on moving icons around, we did notice the bookmark had an X when you grabbed it, so that's gone, and we figured out how to remove apps in the installer.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Okay, so if the new iPhone is $199, why is the iPod Touch more expensive?

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Aatrek posted:

Okay, so if the new iPhone is $199, why is the iPod Touch more expensive?
The iPhone 3G is being subsidized and you're required to have a two-year contract with AT&T and activate the phone at the store.

16GB iPod touch = $399

16GB iPhone 3G = $299 + required two-year AT&T contract ($30+/month data + $39.99+/month voice) = ~$1978.76

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Ah.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You know, even with all the iPhone hype right now, I'm still more than happy with my Touch. I don't need the phone part, I have a seperate Blackberry (which is FAR better than the iPhone in my mind), and the Touch is thinner and has as better screen than the iPhone anyways.

I'm a little pissed we're being charged for the new software, but TBH I'm more concerned about the continuation of jailbreaking. With all the new "official" apps, will us jailbreakers or whatever you want to call us still be able to modify our Touches to whatever end we want?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
How much in total would an early adopter have paid for each update?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dr Tran posted:

How much in total would an early adopter have paid for each update?

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but there was the "January software update" which cost $20 (all of the benefits of which you can get for free if you jailbreak), and then this recently announced "iPhone 2.0 software update" for $9.99.

So $29.99.

It does seem kind of odd to me that you (apparently) have to buy the 2.0 update just to access the AppStore. Especially since they had already announced that the AppStore was coming before they released their last model (the one with the January Software Update included).

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Can anyone post up some battery life experiences with the 32gb iTouch? It seems as if it eats all its power in 4hours on standby (far longer on power off). Does that seem about right? Seems a bit low compared to the iPhone 8gb someone at work uses and I think I can get 6-8 off my classic playing music with the screen dimmed.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Dvlos posted:

Can anyone post up some battery life experiences with the 32gb iTouch? It seems as if it eats all its power in 4hours on standby (far longer on power off). Does that seem about right? Seems a bit low compared to the iPhone 8gb someone at work uses and I think I can get 6-8 off my classic playing music with the screen dimmed.

I have a 16gb iTouch, so it's not exactly the same. I can leave it on standby for days, and there will still be some battery left.

syrairc
Sep 13, 2006
wait what
I have my 16gb touch on for 9 hours at work every day, it goes through about 2/5 of the battery. Standby it'll stay for days. I can't see why the 32gb would be any worse. Jailbroken with apps draining battery?

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
I've got an 8GB touch and it seems to eat through batteries pretty quickly. I think keeping it on Wi-Fi doesn't help. Mine will chew through the battery even on stand-by mode.

For some reason sometimes it feels worse than others.

Also, the $9.99 update is going to come out in July I'm sure. But what will it do besides give me access to an AppsStore?

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee

VibrioCholera posted:

I've got an 8GB touch and it seems to eat through batteries pretty quickly. I think keeping it on Wi-Fi doesn't help. Mine will chew through the battery even on stand-by mode.

For some reason sometimes it feels worse than others.

Also, the $9.99 update is going to come out in July I'm sure. But what will it do besides give me access to an AppsStore?

I've got an 8GB touch as well and mine seems the same way.

I'll get the 2.0 update, but I'm hoping it will include the extra apps that came out at the start of the year.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I just got a 32 GB touch yesterday with the student iMac discount. For $200, how could I pass it up?

I've scanned the thread very quickly, but looked at the past several pages more closely.

1. I'd like to know if anyone has, and likes using the Touch with a skin from Best Skins Ever. I loved the skin on my 5th gen iPod, but I'm worried it will very negatively impact the usability of the Touch.

2. Good god, I can't believe it's still such a pain in the rear end to get cover art onto the ipod, especially for a device that emphasises it so prominently, if you don't use iTunes to manage your collection. It's even worse now, for some reason it's taking me 10 seconds of ID3 tag writing PER TRACK to add cover art.

To make this go faster, I could see deleting all the music already, then importing my collection to iTunes, but I don't want the art written as tags to my MP3s. I just wish iTunes could read folder.jpg or something as it transfers. Lame.

It's a great little toy otherwise, but as an mp3 player, probably less functional than my 5th gen, heh.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

syrairc posted:

I have my 16gb touch on for 9 hours at work every day, it goes through about 2/5 of the battery. Standby it'll stay for days. I can't see why the 32gb would be any worse. Jailbroken with apps draining battery?

I do have it Jailbroken, but what apps could possibly be draining it, it's definitely on a wifi network though either at home or at my wife's job.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

VibrioCholera posted:

go to iphone.com, and click the 2.0 software icon near the bottom of the page (looks like a highway sign)

teethgrinder posted:

1. I'd like to know if anyone has, and likes using the Touch with a skin from Best Skins Ever. I loved the skin on my 5th gen iPod, but I'm worried it will very negatively impact the usability of the Touch.

BSE on the Touch works great. I don't notice it interfering with the touch screen at all. Have had one on mine since about the middle of January.

edit: for you Jailbreak guys with apparent battery problems, after you set it up, did you turn off SSH?

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Dvlos posted:

I do have it Jailbroken, but what apps could possibly be draining it, it's definitely on a wifi network though either at home or at my wife's job.

I don't remember if this is an option, but are you leaving WiFi on even in standby? Maybe that's the problem.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

edit: for you Jailbreak guys with apparent battery problems, after you set it up, did you turn off SSH?

Didn't mess with this, I'll fumble through the settings and try to find this?

CanuckBassist posted:

I don't remember if this is an option, but are you leaving WiFi on even in standby? Maybe that's the problem.

My wife doesn't turn off Wifi she just hits standby...

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Dvlos posted:

My wife doesn't turn off Wifi she just hits standby...

I just looked through my wifi settings. I didn't find anything useful, so I guess the wifi turns off automatically.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I didn't even realise the AppStore was open!

Are there apps yet for unit conversion (the Converter jailbreak app is fantastic, I basically want that)? That's the only jailbreak app I use, and I think the jailbreak has been causing my iPod Touch to crash recently, so I'd like to just go straight with it from now on. I would've asked about a better calculator, but I see the 2.0 firmware sorts that out already.

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
Question to pose to you touch owners with a backstory:

I have a 30gig brown zune, upgraded from a 4gig ipod mini. Fantastic device, but after awhile the syncing is horribly screwed up multiple times and podcasts are getting spit out all over the place, not on the zune, or missing entirely even if they are downloaded.

My impressions of the Itouch 32gig, which I'm considering:

-potential emulator for classic games.
-tons of storage for music.
-Q: how is the podcasting work with Itunes? I'd never really done any of it before until I got my zune. that's a big factor in my purchase.
-wifi.
-Q: hows the in-pocket operating like? is it difficult?

That's basically it. Is the Itouch what I'm looking for? All of those features sound fantastic. Thanks goons!

edit: saw that theres an app for in-pocket touching. awesome.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Litch991 posted:

-Q: how is the podcasting work with Itunes? I'd never really done any of it before until I got my zune. that's a big factor in my purchase.
You can DL iTunes and try it out yourself. It works alright. You can subscribe to podcasts through their podcast directory or manually add one yourself. Then you go into a menu to select which podcasts you want iTunes to sync to your iPod.

iTunes can be a bit wonky, however. I have mine set to delete podcasts I've finished listening to, but it doesn't always do it. And sometimes it "deletes" podcasts by removing them from iTunes but not deleting the data. I was wondering why I was "missing" gigabytes of space on my harddrive and discovered several 400+MB video podcasts were still buried in the iTunes folder rather than having been deleted. And sometimes when iTunes looks for a new podcast release it'll suddenly list all the old podcasts to DL and I have to manually remove them. :argh:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

CheshireCat posted:

You can DL iTunes and try it out yourself. It works alright. You can subscribe to podcasts through their podcast directory or manually add one yourself. Then you go into a menu to select which podcasts you want iTunes to sync to your iPod.

iTunes can be a bit wonky, however. I have mine set to delete podcasts I've finished listening to, but it doesn't always do it. And sometimes it "deletes" podcasts by removing them from iTunes but not deleting the data. I was wondering why I was "missing" gigabytes of space on my harddrive and discovered several 400+MB video podcasts were still buried in the iTunes folder rather than having been deleted. And sometimes when iTunes looks for a new podcast release it'll suddenly list all the old podcasts to DL and I have to manually remove them. :argh:

That really annoys me also. I don't know why it does that.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I haven't used it for several new versions of iTunes, but I found it would delete podcasts on sync if I listened to them ... but even when I didn't finish them. It was pretty annoying.

Man, this touch would be infinitely greater if free wi-fi was more common. The only real hotspot near my work is totally oversaturated. Pages rarely even load on my laptop.

If you're in Toronto though, you can give this a try:
http://auth.wirelesstoronto.ca/hotspots_map.php

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

Toiletbrush posted:

Look what I've ordered!

http://www.dlo.com/products/hshell_touch_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=1196292295164488

Better be as robust as it looks.

clear cases look slick as hell... until some pocket crap gets under it :smith:

The rubbery skin I bought my girlfriend's touch looks better most of the time. Except when I've just finished cleaning mine.

jhnrksn
Mar 7, 2003

Someone at work just got an ipod touch 32gb 1.1.4 (4A102). They want me to jailbreak it for them and install some cool apps on it because I'm the department IT person. Since I love loving with things like this I agreed to do it.

I can't seem to figure out what the best program for doing this is now. There is ZiPhone, pwnage, iLiberty+ and iPlus.

I've skimmed the thread, but I am having difficulty finding anything about jailbreaking the ipod touch 1.1.4. All the guides I find are months old for older versions, or for the iphone and not really sure if there are any differences. I'm not an iphone/ipod touch/itunes user at all so I am not too familiar with some of the versions and terms being thrown around.

What do I need to know before doing this to the ipod touch? What's the best and easiest program to use (from Windows)? Will anything be broken after (like the youtube breakage mentioned on the last couple of pages), or irreversable? Can anyone point me to a current guide?

Edit: From what I can tell, iLiberty+ is the best out there right now, with version 1.3 supporting all ipod touch models.
http://www.modmyifone.com/forums/ip...-ilibertyx.html (post date is May 21, 2008, so pretty recent)

Anything else I should know before liberating this thing?

jhnrksn fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 13, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dvlos posted:

Didn't mess with this, I'll fumble through the settings and try to find this?

I installed an app called "Services" that lets you toggle the WiFi, BlueTooth, EDGE, and SSH services.

edit:

Litch991: the Touch is pretty much unusable from your pocket (unless there's an app out there that I don't know of)

jhnrksn: I would recommend using ZiPhone. It really is completely painless. Press "go" and wait, pretty much. edit2: nothing is irreversable. At worst, you restore the default firmware through iTunes.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 13, 2008

jhnrksn
Mar 7, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

jhnrksn: I would recommend using ZiPhone. It really is completely painless. Press "go" and wait, pretty much. edit2: nothing is irreversable. At worst, you restore the default firmware through iTunes.
Are there any negatives to doing this with an ipod touch? I thought for some reason ziphone isnt reversable, while iliberty+ is? Also, is all the talk about downgrading bootloaders and youtube breaking and the thing crashing while typing only applicable with the iphone?

Edit: this looks like a decent explanation of ziphone for someone who was handed an ipod touch just hours ago and isnt up to date on the various ways to jailbreak it:
http://lifehacker.com/370532/jailbreak-any-iphone-or-ipod-touch-in-45-seconds

I'll use ziphone. Thanks.

jhnrksn fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 13, 2008

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I installed an app called "Services" that lets you toggle the WiFi, BlueTooth, EDGE, and SSH services.

I'll check this out thanks, I just noticed that Apple is releasing apps for the iTouch (if they were before I didn't notice this sorry) are these apps already available through the Jailbroken installer? The only thing I saw on the background image they used is Bejeweled, I'm sure my wife would love that.

MrBishop
Sep 30, 2006

I see what you did there...

Soiled Meat
Following up to my post on the previous page, I sent my new 16 gig Touch back to Apple, and just got it back yesterday. According to their techs, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, despite the fact that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it to respond. Well, apparently they did something to it, because it's been working fine since I got it back.

Well, almost fine. I plug it in last night, start to sync it, and about 3 songs in it stops, with some message about the iPod timing out, or being unreachable, or some poo poo. After screwing around with it for about an hour, I try plugging the cable directly into a USB port in the computer instead of through the powered USB hub (which, by the way, worked fine for syncing a brand new 8 gig Touch). Now, it syncs without error. Don't know why the 16 gig does't like that hub, but whatever, it seems to be rocking now. I'm wondering now if it was something about syncing through the hub that messed up the Touch the first time around.

Just thought I'd through this out there in case anyone else has trouble sync'ing through a hub.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
^ It's possible the hub wasn't providing the full voltage of an actual USB port.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
I just got an iPod Touch through work, and since I largely don't care for iTunes I've been trying to find a good alternative to it, but the handful I've checked don't seem to work for the Touch.

Are there any good progams I can use instead of iTunes and also, are there any that will do on the fly conversion from WMA to AAC? A large portion of my music collection is non-DRM WMAs and having to convert them to AAC/MP3 just to use on my Touch sees a little silly. Something that would let me drag and drop my WMA onto the iPod and have it convert before being transferred would be awesome, though I'm not sure if that exists.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Anyone else having trouble installing apps? I can't get the "Services" app to download.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Clear the queued up downloads and then try and install it again; if there is a broken download sitting in the queue then nothing else will be downloadable until this is rectified, and you will keep seeing the failed message.

If it keeps happening you may need to restore and re-jailbreak the ipod, my installer kept crashing a couple of weeks back and I was only able to fix it via firmware restoration.

To a question of my own - my ipod will sometimes crash back to springboard while playing music, seems to be fine after a hard reset but after a few days of use it will crash occasionally. Is this a side-effect of the jailbreak? I used ZiPhone, are the other methods known for greater stability?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

RandomCheese posted:

To a question of my own - my ipod will sometimes crash back to springboard while playing music, seems to be fine after a hard reset but after a few days of use it will crash occasionally. Is this a side-effect of the jailbreak? I used ZiPhone, are the other methods known for greater stability?
This seems to be happening to me almost once every day or two now. I'm tempted just to go back to the normal firmware and not jailbreak it just to stop it happening.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

RandomCheese posted:

Just a guess here, but I can't see how that would happen because of Jailbreak. From what I know, the Touch doesn't allow running background programs, so while it's playing music, it's just playing music.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

RandomCheese posted:

Mine does this while playing movies, and the research I've done on other boards leads back to lovely USB controllers on most motherboards loving up the sync process. I haven't gotten one yet, but apparently any $15 PCI USB card will solve the problem.

E: Does anyone have a non-safari recommendation for a messaging client that does MSN? I tried MobileChat but couldn't get it to connect.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 15, 2008

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Just a guess here, but I can't see how that would happen because of Jailbreak. From what I know, the Touch doesn't allow running background programs, so while it's playing music, it's just playing music.

I wouldn't think so either, but it was worth asking. I think background processes are allowed though, as I have seen it mentioned with some emulators that it is best to fully quit out of the app and not just jump back to the springboard as it will keep the CPU going at 100%, draining the battery prematurely. I would like some task manager-esque app though, to see what is actually running.
I do have apps like SummerBoard running, so there must be some sort of system files being affected by this app as it does its theme-change thing.

McCheese posted:

Mine does this while playing movies, and the research I've done on other boards leads back to lovely USB controllers on most motherboards loving up the sync process. I haven't gotten one yet, but apparently any $15 PCI USB card will solve the problem.

Does yours do it at the same point every time? If so, I could believe the USB thing, but mine will play up with songs it has played perfectly a dozen times before, and then play them again fine post reboot.

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006
Crossposting this from a thread I made in Coupons:

Weezy88 posted:

So I've been looking around for the best deals on an iPod touch as of lately and this is a very good deal. It is shipped and sold by B&H, which most goons prefer for camera equipment because of the nice prices and super fast shipping. I can vouch for them actually, having ordered all of my camera equipment there with excellent service and shipping time.

This deal has free UPS ground shipping, and I figure you can get free shipping with Amazon, but it's that super saver poo poo that takes a while.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520652-REG/Apple_MA627LL_A_iPod_touch_16GB_Wi_Fi.html

Now this one does not include the software update, BUT that update can be purchased and downloaded via itunes for $20 bucks, which puts the total price at $360 with the update, which is a stellar deal. Although you don't really need the update, it's good to know you still come out cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

RandomCheese posted:

Does yours do it at the same point every time? If so, I could believe the USB thing, but mine will play up with songs it has played perfectly a dozen times before, and then play them again fine post reboot.

Yeah it does, and if I do a restore it will do it in different parts of a movie or a completely different song. So I guess yours is something different.

• Locked thread