Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Agh i love the series but please please stop having such a boner for Griffith.
This must be the hundreth full-page Griffith picture just to show how purdy he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The Griffith spreads are there to make us hate him even more than we already do.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first thing I thought after seeing the last page was this thread.
Was not disappointed.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Mido posted:

There isn't enough pain, pedophilia, squinting, incest, scowling, hatred, satanism, blood, rape, nor death in your fairy tail ending :colbert:

There, that's better.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Schubalts posted:

The Griffith spreads are there to make us hate him even more than we already do.

I completely agree... I hope more goes on plot wise next chapter.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Jedah posted:

There, that's better.

You forgot insanity.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
EG Release
Holly poo poo next chapter in less than 3 weeks!

Webcormac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 26, 2008

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
So is Griffith going to have to call down a meteor or something? Cause I really can't see the Kushan emperor being distracted by something and falling and dying by fall. This arc could end really stupidly.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sydnesider posted:

EG Release
Holly poo poo next chapter in less than 3 weeks!

It's so sad when we get happy with this kind of news.

I want Claymore too :(

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Edge Zero posted:

So is Griffith going to have to call down a meteor or something? Cause I really can't see the Kushan emperor being distracted by something and falling and dying by fall. This arc could end really stupidly.

Well, given Griffith's powers over fate and fortune, the Kushan emperor is probably allergic to peanuts or something. I'm curious how it's going to resolve, but because it's a foregone conclusion the emperor's going down, it's probably going to be a little stupid. Short of nuclear weapons, I don't see how a bunch of guys on horseback (even commanded by Griffith and partially composed of superhuman demons) can defeat a 30,000 foot tall monster the size of a city.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Griffith is technically an apocalyptic demon god, so perhaps he'll just brutally rape him.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well, given Griffith's powers over fate and fortune, the Kushan emperor is probably allergic to peanuts or something. I'm curious how it's going to resolve, but because it's a foregone conclusion the emperor's going down, it's probably going to be a little stupid. Short of nuclear weapons, I don't see how a bunch of guys on horseback (even commanded by Griffith and partially composed of superhuman demons) can defeat a 30,000 foot tall monster the size of a city.

Yea... being near Griffith almost broke the Emperor's mind. I think if Griffith really wanted to end it fast, he could just unmake the Emperor.

Myrmidon
Aug 27, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm thinking Griffith will transform into the Hawk of Light, similar Zodd Nosferatu's dream when he lost a horn, by sacrificing himself to destroy the emperor. After the fight he returns to his a lifeless regular body, and promptly resuscitates himself when everyone is on the edge of their seats thinking he died. Thus helping to further push his messiah angle, and the advent of his reign of terror will truly begin. :toot:

GentlemanLoser
Aug 22, 2007

IT WAS NANOMACHINES, I SWEAR, NANOMACHINES!
stupid plot theories go here -------->

Myrmidon posted:

I'm thinking Griffith will transform into the Hawk of Light, similar Zodd Nosferatu's dream when he lost a horn, by sacrificing himself to destroy the emperor. After the fight he returns to his a lifeless regular body, and promptly resuscitates himself when everyone is on the edge of their seats thinking he died. Thus helping to further push his messiah angle, and the advent of his reign of terror will truly begin. :toot:

Yeah, he's totally going to transform into a hawk of light to defeat the Emperor at some point.

maxxheadcheese
Sep 9, 2005

Noble Man
297 RAW is out:

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32891

Next chap will be out: When its done. :(

maxxheadcheese fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 12, 2008

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

That was sort of expected (the next chapter release). He's been following a steady pattern basically, where it's like there's one chapter, then another one two weeks later, then a month or 2 break, then another 2 chapters in approximately a fortnight....and then an indefinite pause with no date for the next one.

I'm not sure if this trend will ever end actually, in fact it might increase, with Miura simply trying to make sure he finishes Berserk before he dies. So yeah, we honestly might realistically still be reading this in 2020.

About the chapter itself... well good stuff as usual but it's a shame that despite the increasing periods between chapters, Miura almost seems intent on constantly upping the quality of artwork and keeping the pacing exactly how he intends, regardless of whether it means we wait weeks or months for a chapter full of tons of double page spreads of the same events and no progression. Build up and hype is great...when there's a regular schedule...

Well whatever I guess at least there'll be a manga I'm very likely still going to be reading when I'm in my 30's so I'll always have some chapters to look forward to.

Mr. Deathy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 13, 2008

Xali
Feb 6, 2006

Imagine this: It is year 2035 and Berserk has just been finished. A couple of weeks pass and a dude pops in this thread saying something along the lines of "Well, I just marathoned this over the weekend, pretty good stuff eh?" wouldn't you just wanna punch his face in?

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
Another great chapter, the scale of it all really blows the mind away.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Xali posted:

Imagine this: It is year 2035 and Berserk has just been finished. A couple of weeks pass and a dude pops in this thread saying something along the lines of "Well, I just marathoned this over the weekend, pretty good stuff eh?" wouldn't you just wanna punch his face in?

Yes, probably.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://rapidshare.com/files/122468672/Berserk_297_Binktopia_.zip.html

Scanlated.

Looks like the Hawk of Light prediction is reality

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I think that's mainly just symbolism for what the Emperor see just now, not necessarily Griffith's current form.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Evil-Genius chapter 297

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just out of curiosity why haven't there been any more Berserk anime episodes made?

I mean I can understand when they first made it originally maybe they didn't have enough money and weren't sure how people would react to it, maybe the initial ratings were low or something. But these days Berserk tops nearly every "best Anime" and "Recommend me some Anime" list or thread pretty much everywhere. Next to maybe Ninja Scroll it's one of the most well known and recognized-as-great anime's out there. So my question is given it's obvious insane popularity and nearly cult classic status why haven't the people who made the Anime or whoever is in charge over there picked up on this and cashed in by making more episodes? I can't imagine at this stage investors would be difficult to come by. So what's the deal?

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
That's actually a pretty good question. You'd think there'd be intermittent OVAs, at the least, as they're still selling the first series and there's plenty of merchandise. Also,

quote:

Next to maybe Ninja Scroll it's one of the most well known and recognized-as-great anime's out there.
:supaburn:WHAT THE HELL:supaburn:

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

-Blackadder- posted:

Just out of curiosity why haven't there been any more Berserk anime episodes made?

I mean I can understand when they first made it originally maybe they didn't have enough money and weren't sure how people would react to it, maybe the initial ratings were low or something. But these days Berserk tops nearly every "best Anime" and "Recommend me some Anime" list or thread pretty much everywhere. Next to maybe Ninja Scroll it's one of the most well known and recognized-as-great anime's out there. So my question is given it's obvious insane popularity and nearly cult classic status why haven't the people who made the Anime or whoever is in charge over there picked up on this and cashed in by making more episodes? I can't imagine at this stage investors would be difficult to come by. So what's the deal?

It's not as popular as you think.
In Japan it was a late-late-night hardcore-otaku show, and they always get pitiful ratings. Berserk was no exception. These shows are forgotten by the Japanese almost as soon as they leave the airwaves (another example: Trigun)
It's closer to the tastes of American fans, but let's face it, the show has limited mass appeal. And while it's certainly popular with teenage guys and horror/action lovers, it's far from the most popular title among English-speaking anime fans.
The manga is much better than any new season could ever be, anyways. The incredibly high level of detail that Miura puts into his art would be dimmed down considerably unless they had a huge budget (which they wouldn't).

And when was the last time that Ninja Scroll was still popular among English-speaking anime fans? A decade ago? Tastes have changed, dude.

Hatter106 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 17, 2008

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
When I used to subscribe to NewType every time a Berserk volume'd come out, it'd top the charts for that month, but never appear on it until the next release. This would be pretty common for it to be the top 3 seller for that month.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Xali posted:

This is probably how people felt about Dave Sim's Cerebus which took from 1977-2004. 100 Bullets is nearing the end with its 100th and final issue. I've been reading that one since around #60 thankfully though.

I'm sort of afraid to think about how long ago I started reading scans of Berserk though.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I think I started reading this around last year and my what a roller coaster it's been.

My god by the time the second eclipse was occuring in Albion with Casca and Guts reuniting and the prostitutes and that one knight guy and even Farnese when she had pigtails and was a bitch I was literally spending every page going "Please don't let anyone die, please don't let anyone die. :(" after what happened the last time.

And then none of them died. :unsmith:

I was hooked afterwards if only to see Guts finally cut Griffith in half. :colbert:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Xali posted:

What would suck more is that he's about to finish his final chapter, he hypes it up and the build up to the last book is more amazing than all the books combined. Then he dies in some sort of horrible freak accident and the book is never finished.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
His only legacy will be a pile of half-finished Griffith spreads.

chocojosh
Jun 9, 2007

D00D.

OG17 posted:

and there's plenty of merchandise.

Do you know where I can get an artbook or poster of Berserk? I haven't been able to find anything other than a few action figures.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

obi_ant posted:

What would suck more is that he's about to finish his final chapter, he hypes it up and the build up to the last book is more amazing than all the books combined. Then he dies in some sort of horrible freak accident and the book is never finished.

What worries me more is how much time would be spent by his now thousands of assistants will be put into photorealistically drawing the chapter. Also there's the question of where Guts' jawline will be by then.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 3, 2008

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OG17 posted:

His only legacy will be a pile of half-finished Griffith spreads.

It must be really easy to do a 3d model of griffith. We've got huge spreads of him in every angle possible.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I know it's a real 'late to the party' thing, but after years of wanting it, I've finally gotten my hands on the PS2 Berserk game. I'm loving it.

It's right up there with the Sega AM2 Macross game as far as perfectly nailing the atmosphere/style of the source material. Guts is sometimes hard to control, simply because they convey the feeling of weight to his sword so well. Every evasive dash looks more like a heaving leap, dragging the sword behind him.

Plus, severing a bucketfull of limbs and heads and torsos with every single tap of the attack button is gleeful fun.

I really hope they do a sequel to this on the PS3 once the manga is a bit further along.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
that's a very good video game trailer. I remember seeing the gameplay and it looked like a ton of fun.

Also, I saw the maxwell adams lp of the dreamcast version... ugh.... It looked awful.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

GoldenNugget posted:

Also, I saw the maxwell adams lp of the dreamcast version... ugh.... It looked awful.

The dreamcast version was nicely written (it was basically an official side-story), and had decent graphics for the time, but yeah - it really wasn't a very good game.

This is a far, far better game. Also immensely satisfying. I just killed 93 zombies, hellhounds and assorted evil things in a single combo - Guts was covered from head to toe in blood and.. err.. guts by the end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Was there ever a non-Japanese version of the game?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sindai posted:

Was there ever a non-Japanese version of the game?

No, but you don't need any japanese to play it all. Most of the menus are in plain english (this is really common in Japanese action games for some reason). The only thing I've had to look up at all is the level-up screen (you buy new abilties/stat upgrades with XP from murderation), and that was covered on GameFAQs.

The main plot is from the Milennium Falcon arc of the manga, so you should already know what most of the spoken dialogue is about. The new stuff is generally simple enough to infer from what you know about the characters, and what you see on the screen.

I really love the level of detail on the animations. A heavy attack will cause Guts to skid slightly at the end, digging his boot into the ground to stop him from spinning too far. A charged heavy attack will cause him to overbalance and actually fall over, the weight of the sword carrying him a distance.

For reference, I'm running it on an unmodded, final-model (77000 or something like that) UK PSTwo. I got myself a Swapmagic/Swap Tool set. Easiest way to get imports, I reckon. Cheap and simple to set up - the swap tool takes about a minute to install (just glue/clip into place, and it stays in permanently), and then you just boot the PS2 with the Swapmagic disc.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 6, 2008

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
Something I always wondered about the PS2 version was if you could run it by just copying the game to a hard drive and using HDLoader to start it up with something like say, my US PS2.

If this is possible, someone tell me where to buy the game pronto. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun

Revdomezehis posted:

Something I always wondered about the PS2 version was if you could run it by just copying the game to a hard drive and using HDLoader to start it up with something like say, my US PS2.

If this is possible, someone tell me where to buy the game pronto. :\

Yes you can do that.

It is weird, that game was featured at E3 a couple of years ago. Wonder what happen
with that?