Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

If you've played through a really great pedal like a fulltone dp1, or even better a Hughes and Kettner tube factor you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss pedals for distortion. Most modern marshalls (hell most modern tube amps) get their distortion from a diode anyway. Metal zone into recto guy is still :psyduck: as hell though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

Synonamess Botch posted:

Yeah, it would probably solve most of your tuning problems.

The floating tremolo is most likely the cause of tuning problems, especially since Fender usually doesn't set it up right.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

juicy_J posted:

The floating tremolo is most likely the cause of tuning problems, especially since Fender usually doesn't set it up right.

True dat. You need to install 5 springs, screw the claw in tight and chuck the arm somewhere.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Gramps posted:

If you've played through a really great pedal like a fulltone dp1, or even better a Hughes and Kettner tube factor you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss pedals for distortion. Most modern marshalls (hell most modern tube amps) get their distortion from a diode anyway. Metal zone into recto guy is still :psyduck: as hell though.

I think for ultimate comedy we need to have someone get an English Muff'n and play it into an AC30 set to be totally clean. That still might not beat metal zone into recto clean though.

Howling Bells
May 10, 2007

Dear Pat Monaghan and that other guy,

We believe 'Hey Soul Sister' to be a ponderous and heartless money grab. You should be ashamed. It's not enough that you used the I-V-VI-IV chord progression, Beato, but you do it on a ukulele? It sounds like a Vonage commercial. Stop the Train!

ZombiePeanut posted:

I think for ultimate comedy we need to have someone get an English Muff'n and play it into an AC30 set to be totally clean. That still might not beat metal zone into recto clean though.

I just got this wonderful image of a toasted english muffin in all its deliciousness being plugged into a guitar. I giggled like a little girl for awhile.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?
I went on kind of a rampage and bought a few things.
This beauty:

1998 Epiphone Gibson Flying V

And then I decided that I wanted to start learning bass. So I got this:

Dean EVO XM Bass:

...and I got a Warlock, but we won't talk about that. Birthday money + Student loans = :rock:

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

communistdew posted:

Dean EVO XM Bass:

...and I got a Warlock, but we won't talk about that. Birthday money + Student loans = :rock:

The pattern on the bed made it look like it had some sort of glam rock/transvestite hight heel/boot shaped headstock. I was sorely disappointed when google informed me this was not the case.

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

Gramps posted:

Most modern marshalls (hell most modern tube amps) get their distortion from a diode anyway.

Uh, I can think of only a few "modern tube amp" that use diodes for clipping, and that's the early JCM 900s (if I recall correctly, at least) and Silver Jubilee...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hiroshima Tan Lines posted:

Uh, I can think of only a few "modern tube amp" that use diodes for clipping, and that's the early JCM 900s (if I recall correctly, at least) and Silver Jubilee...

And besides, a bit of diode clipping to add grit isn't nearly the same thing as having a distortion pedal up front of the preamp. Perhaps I'm biased because I've got a 13-strong pedal collection with 3 more on the way, but I have used a LOT of pedals, and I think that a good pedal into a good amp is a heavenly sound. Of course garbage into garbage is no good, but the fact of the matter is that you're not looking at a sacrifice but a difference - you can't get the "pedal into an amp" sound with just the amp, exactly as you can't get the "just the amp" sound with "pedal into an amp."

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

There are other examples- I have a Hughes and Kettner tube 50- my amp guy gutted it and there's diodes in there too. "Most" was probably overstating a bit though. Easy way to tell though- if the amp has lots of preamp distortion and only a few preamp tubes? There could be diodes lurking about- not that it matters.

And Agreed makes a good point- I've always wondered why nobody ever thought to build a TS808 mod to integrate into the front end of a plexi, but I guess it's just easier to get the head and pedal and call it good.

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

Agreed posted:

And besides, a bit of diode clipping to add grit isn't nearly the same thing as having a distortion pedal up front of the preamp. Perhaps I'm biased because I've got a 13-strong pedal collection with 3 more on the way, but I have used a LOT of pedals, and I think that a good pedal into a good amp is a heavenly sound. Of course garbage into garbage is no good, but the fact of the matter is that you're not looking at a sacrifice but a difference - you can't get the "pedal into an amp" sound with just the amp, exactly as you can't get the "just the amp" sound with "pedal into an amp."

I agree, as some of the best tones I've heard have been with a boosted amp. There's just something heavenly about slamming a good boost/overdrive pedal in front of a 'vintage' amp. Then again, I've always been a purist at heart and usually only have a guitar -> cable -> amp setup :ssh:

Gramps posted:

There are other examples- I have a Hughes and Kettner tube 50- my amp guy gutted it and there's diodes in there too. "Most" was probably overstating a bit though. Easy way to tell though- if the amp has lots of preamp distortion and only a few preamp tubes? There could be diodes lurking about- not that it matters.

And Agreed makes a good point- I've always wondered why nobody ever thought to build a TS808 mod to integrate into the front end of a plexi, but I guess it's just easier to get the head and pedal and call it good.

You have to remember that a lot of modern amps use ICs/diodes for things like auxiliary controls, and are intentionally kept out of the 'audible' circuit.

EDIT: The Marshall 2203KK (Kerry King signature amp) has something sort of like a built-in boost, with it having a built-in EQ boost and noise gate.

Freshwater Louie fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 14, 2008

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hiroshima Tan Lines posted:

I agree, as some of the best tones I've heard have been with a boosted amp. There's just something heavenly about slamming a good boost/overdrive pedal in front of a 'vintage' amp. Then again, I've always been a purist at heart and usually only have a guitar -> cable -> amp setup :ssh:

I only run a max of about 5 or 6 pedals into any one amp. I have individual pedal chains for each amp.

I can't wait for the Aramat Effects Dual Master, Green Machine, and Soul Patch to get here - three effect types that have been very conspicuously missing from my board, coming my way at last. And from a super guy, too. The Mojo Fuzz is a gateway pedal, make no mistake.

I don't know why I haven't had a Tubescreamer, Treble Booster, or fuzz on my board - well, I have had a Fuzz Face, but this is a Muff style fuzz. I've just been big on overdrive and distortion, I guess. And wahs. And a few effects pedals. And a couple EQs.

:q:

Lately, I haven't been plugging in my Damage Control pedals at all, and it makes me sad because they're my favorite pair of dirt - they work really well together. I've been using my THD Univalve and Randall RG120PH lately, and the Damage Control pedals were part of my Windsor pedalboard... I just haven't been plugging the Windsor up much lately. I need to pick up some more adapters, though, because I'm running more pedals than I have adapters already and with three on the way it's going to get ugly. I hate having pedals just sitting around when they could be plugged in...

Though I am very impressed also with the Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive into the Wasabi Distortion; their frequency response and general od/distortion character sound really nice into my THD Univalve. May be cliche, but with both of them engaged and the Distortion dialed back so as not to be noisy and over-saturated, it gets a very violin or cello-like sustain, sounds great for legato runs. I'm impressed partly because I had heard some disparaging things about the Wasabi Distortion ("too dry," "grainy") and while I didn't like it much through my RG120PH, it sounds great into the THD.

Some pedals don't seem to play nicely with solid state amps, while some sound great through 'em... I'll probably end up running my Damage Control pedals into the RG120PH, because they sound great with it. And they're analog, 250V dual-12AX7 distortion pedals, too. I wonder if the Solid Metal has any clipping diodes in it? Its range of gain with the stock EHX 12AX7 was quite good, but it really screams since I swapped them for Tung-Sols, and if you roll back the volume it cleans up to a fat bluesy sound. Very high dynamic range, too, and the RG120PH is a very dynamic amp for SS, good match.

It hurts me when people talk bad about pedals or say things like "I just assumed people use pedals because they can't afford good amps." I've spent more on pedals than most people do on their amps, and I'm always happy with my tone. I guess it's a matter of preference, of course, but I don't know why that means some will generalize in such a silly way.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 14, 2008

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Mr. WTF posted:

God why do you use pedal distortion when you have a marshall tube head? I've got a TSL also...2x12 combo, but I just figured people used pedals because they couldn't afford a good head (ie Mesa Boogie / Marshall / etc)...why why?

I use pedal distortion because both distortion channels on the Marshall sound like poo poo to me. I've tweaked and tweaked on both the Crunch and Lead Channels, even used a Sonic Maximizer, and they both sound way too muddy/heavy metal. I've tried alot of higher end dirt pedals, and I currently run a Jekyll & Hyde's overdrive w/ a maxon OD-9 tubescreamer on top of it, and it makes a nice creamy overdrive/distortion sound.

That is why I'm looking to get an amp with an overdrive setting to my liking, so I don't have to use pedal distortion. Just because an amp is a high quality tube head doesn't mean it sounds great to everyone. I've talked to several ex JCM2000 owners, and they all had the same problem.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Grabbed this lovely Pod XT off of ebay for £100 shipped.

Only niggle is its on firmware 1.01 so I need to get hold of a midi interface and cables to update it.

Between this and my RG7321 purchase I've fallen in love with ebay :3:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Stux posted:

Grabbed this lovely Pod XT off of ebay for £100 shipped.

Only niggle is its on firmware 1.01 so I need to get hold of a midi interface and cables to update it.

Between this and my RG7321 purchase I've fallen in love with ebay :3:

You don't need a midi interface to update- you need a usb cable hooked up to your comp and the line6 monkey software available off of the line6 website. Once you do that you can opt to buy the model packs if you want- some of the amps contained within are super good (Bogners, Silver Jubilee etc.) but all of the model packs would cost more than you paid for the unit. I haven't tried the bass pack, but I heard it's really excellent.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Gramps posted:

I haven't tried the bass pack, but I heard it's really excellent.

Of all the model packs, the bass is definitely the best.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

ESP Vintage Plus reissue, in distressed white. I'm a huge ESP whore :sweatdrop:

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

LongSack posted:

ESP Vintage Plus reissue, in distressed white. I'm a huge ESP whore :sweatdrop:

I heard those ESP strats were amazing though. How much did you get it for?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Gramps posted:

You don't need a midi interface to update- you need a usb cable hooked up to your comp and the line6 monkey software available off of the line6 website. Once you do that you can opt to buy the model packs if you want- some of the amps contained within are super good (Bogners, Silver Jubilee etc.) but all of the model packs would cost more than you paid for the unit. I haven't tried the bass pack, but I heard it's really excellent.

Unfortunatly this isnt the case with the 1.01 firmware otherwise I would've already done it. I already own the triple pack with the metal pack, classics and fx pack for my toneport and tried to move them over to the xt but no dice until its updated.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Susano-maku da! posted:

I heard those ESP strats were amazing though. How much did you get it for?

$1,229 US at a small (but awesome) shop here in town. Cheaper than I was able to find on the net, and they set up all their instruments before they sell them and offer great service.

Too early to make a definitive judgement, but my initial impressions are very positive (just got it Saturday).

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Stux posted:

Unfortunatly this isnt the case with the 1.01 firmware otherwise I would've already done it. I already own the triple pack with the metal pack, classics and fx pack for my toneport and tried to move them over to the xt but no dice until its updated.

You still shouldn't need a midi interface to update your firmware though :confused:

Also-I'm pretty sure you can't "move" your updates anyhow- you may be able to re-download them to the pod if and only if you still have your confirmation code, but that's about it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Gramps posted:

You still shouldn't need a midi interface to update your firmware though :confused:

Also-I'm pretty sure you can't "move" your updates anyhow- you may be able to re-download them to the pod if and only if you still have your confirmation code, but that's about it.

Well you do: http://line6.com/club/activateLicenseKeys/index.html

quote:

Early PODxt units with version 1.01 firmware must be updated using a MIDI interface and MIDI cables to prepare them for License Key activation. See the License Key Activation Guide for details.

And you can move model packs around from different devices as much as you want, if you go on your account and go to the license key page you can unregister them from whatever device they are registered to now, and then reactivate them on another device. You can do this as often as you want.

krisis
Oct 25, 2003

i have a light case of asparagus.

Stux posted:

This is a great starter for anyone who wants do do some basic midi.

Planning to pick one up for my G9.2tt.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Stux posted:

Well you do: http://line6.com/club/activateLicenseKeys/index.html

And you can move model packs around from different devices as much as you want, if you go on your account and go to the license key page you can unregister them from whatever device they are registered to now, and then reactivate them on another device. You can do this as often as you want.

Wow, I did not know that. My podXT must have had newer software when I got it, which is weird because I got it right when it came out.

It looks like you can use a midi cable and another podxt though- that might save you from having to buy an interface if you can find someone with a pod locally.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Gramps posted:

Wow, I did not know that. My podXT must have had newer software when I got it, which is weird because I got it right when it came out.

It looks like you can use a midi cable and another podxt though- that might save you from having to buy an interface if you can find someone with a pod locally.

I dont know anyone with one :smith:

I'm just going to grab something cheap and easy like this instead http://www.ebest24.co.uk/usb-midi-cable-adaptor-keyboard-to-pc-for-xpvistamac-2231.html

Only ever going to use it this once so should be fine

ampleforth
Dec 23, 2004

So it goes.

Zakalwe posted:

True dat. You need to install 5 springs, screw the claw in tight and chuck the arm somewhere.

A block of wood shoved up the backside locks the whole affair up nicely as well. Screw (ha) tremelos.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Wow thank you goons. On a recommendation from some guys in the amp suggestion thread, I got one of these. They are discontinued, but the guitar center in st. louis found one in iowa and had it sent there. Picked it up today.

Holy poo poo finally I've found the amp I was looking for. Great cleans and nasty JCM 800 style old school overdrive/distortion

Here she is. Crate 30 watt V-32 Palomino. This is a USA model too, not made in Vietnam. Sounds like a freight train. And because they are discontinued I got it new for 400 dollars!!

Ultraviper
Jul 26, 2007

I won the 100th Concurrent WOL Jabber Award and All I Got Was This Lousy Title!
My only instrument: a 1965(?) Fender Mustang, with an amp probably just as old (no idea, really). Got both at a yard sale, including a case, for $100. Most of the guitar has faded from its original blue to the ugliest shade of green imaginable.

Ultraviper fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 17, 2008

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Toridas posted:

My only instrument: a 1965(?) Fender Mustang, with an amp probably just as old. Got both at a yard sale, including a case, for $100. Most of the guitar has faded from its original blue to the ugliest shade of green imaginable.

You bastard. If you hate that color so much, why don't you, uh, send it my way? :)

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Toridas posted:

My only instrument: a 1965(?) Fender Mustang, with an amp probably just as old. Got both at a yard sale, including a case, for $100. Most of the guitar has faded from its original blue to the ugliest shade of green imaginable.

I'll give you $200 that's like twice the price ok

(Is that a Fender solid state?)

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Susano-maku da! posted:

(Is that a Fender solid state?)

Yeah, the Fender R.A.D. is a 20 watt solid state amp. Not worth much, about $50. Still pretty cool for the grey carpet-esque covering.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Toridas posted:

My only instrument: a 1965(?) Fender Mustang, with an amp probably just as old (no idea, really). Got both at a yard sale, including a case, for $100. Most of the guitar has faded from its original blue to the ugliest shade of green imaginable.

How much do you want for the Mustang?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Hey, I was the first to want it!

Just let us know if you decide to sell/trade, okay?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Just got back from the states, bought some stuff:

Jazz/Jb combo. Couldn't go to Santa Barbara without giving Seymour some money. Not sure yet which guitar is getting these though.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
Good choice, the SD Jazz is one of the nicest Gibson-style neck pickups I've heard.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

As someone who has terrible pickups, how do neck pickups sound under distortion? When I use mine it doesn't even sound like a guitar anymore.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Uncle Caveman posted:

Good choice, the SD Jazz is one of the nicest Gibson-style neck pickups I've heard.

Yeah I have a semi-hollow Epi LP so I'll probably throw these in there.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Oh, I forgot, I returned the Boss TR-2 and got the trem I wanted in the first place.

I really only wanted the tap function, but the other extra features are pretty handy, too. Depth is basically a mix knob. Shape controls "how fast the volume increases or decreases"- basically, where in the "pulse" is the volume swell, which can get some weird sounds going. Wave is obvious and incredibly handy of course, switching from smooth to staccato. The Rate knob adjusts speed if you don't use the tap or, more importantly, the ratio when in ratio mode, useful if you're playing 3/4 time and want to accurately set it to the beat. Killer pedal all around, I love it.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ForbiddenWonder posted:

As someone who has terrible pickups, how do neck pickups sound under distortion? When I use mine it doesn't even sound like a guitar anymore.
It varies by the guitar and the pickup itself - for instance, the neck mysterybuckers in most Epiphones do tend to get muddy & useless when pushed hard. My favorite dirty-neck sounds are a P-90, a Gretsch Filtertron (a kind of mini-humbucker,it stays bright & clear), a Fender Jazzmaster (big fat flat coil with magnet polepieces, has a really strong vowel sound) and a Danelectro lipstick tube (might as well be a bridge pickup, clangy as all hell).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

ForbiddenWonder posted:

Mine sounds fine. If the distortion is really bassy it can get muddy, but that's pretty much to be expected.

quote:

for instance, the neck mysterybuckers in most Epiphones do tend to get muddy & useless when pushed hard

Ha. Yeah, they do. And mysterybucker is my new favorite word.