Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thehustler posted:

The hole being that you aren't allowed to use amateur frequencies for broadcast? :)

I mean something periodic, like it would be active during certain parts of the day/week etc. As an example; at what point does a guy transmitting a video of a ham meet stop being a transmission and become 'broadcast'? Is there a specific length?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Epicenter posted:

I mean something periodic, like it would be active during certain parts of the day/week etc. As an example; at what point does a guy transmitting a video of a ham meet stop being a transmission and become 'broadcast'? Is there a specific length?

When it stops being 2way communication.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hm, maybe a common frequency we all use for individual video transmissions would work then.. it's just less organized. I'm just trying to think of some interesting community aspects, to where it's a little easier for goons to communicate via radio than praying we see each other's call sign at some point while randomly surfing the airwaves.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 9, 2023

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
:woop: :woop:

I've finally been issued a call sign! General KJ4EPP checking in. :)

I bet my friend at work is gonna ambush me as soon as I come in. He has a ton of experiments he's wanted to try when I got my call. I swear he's been checking the database more often that I have. ;)

I'll have to take a pic of my "shack" when I get the chance. This thread has been a massive help! The links to the study materials helped a ton. :)

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Epicenter posted:

I had a strange idea I would like to throw out there for when I am ready to experiment with VHF. How about if we (amateur radio goons in general) were to put together the radio equivalent of GBS-TV? My idea is that it would be operated from one original video stream (with user contributed content), and use as low a frequency as possible to maximize range. Internet-based repeating, as I see it, could theoretically allow extremely widespread ability to view the broadcast. :science: I wonder if there's a mode that requires less bandwidth than NTSC, (but a lot more than SSTV) to strike a good balance between range and quality.

There's probably some holes in my logic you could drive a truck through; but I'm interested to hear what anyone thinks of my idea. :)

Google for "Amateur Television". Technically, you could get on a ATV repeater and transmit video that way. There's a repeater in central Florida that outputs on 427.25MHz but the input frequency is at 1280 MHz FM. So basically, you need a way to transmit on 1280 and receive on 427.25. I think transmitting could be a problem only because gigahertz transceivers can be pricey according to what I've heard. :(

Legally, I would imagine you would be limited to like 30 seconds or something. As mentioned by previous posters, you can't broadcast. Broadcast is basically when no one else can transmit because you're tying up that frequency. It's really frowned upon in the HAM community. I know that because supposedly there's a newbie in our community that never shuts up. My "elmer" is about to tell him to STFU because he talks so much that he practically broadcasts (ties up) on the repeater.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
You COULD do it as a net.

Would kinda be loopholeish, but it would work. Maybe.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Dolemite posted:

Legally, I would imagine you would be limited to like 30 seconds or something. As mentioned by previous posters, you can't broadcast. Broadcast is basically when no one else can transmit because you're tying up that frequency. It's really frowned upon in the HAM community. I know that because supposedly there's a newbie in our community that never shuts up. My "elmer" is about to tell him to STFU because he talks so much that he practically broadcasts (ties up) on the repeater.

As far as legalities go the same rules apply for ATV as for any other mode of transmission, to the best of my knowledge. Also people who both yack all the time, and quick key the repeaters suck.

Simplex is so much cooler. 146.52 forever!

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones
well my first post to this thread..

Picked up an old Yaesu FT 707 over the weekend (even though i'm not liceneced yet, but my partner is.)

Got it for fairly cheap, as it doesn't transmit properly (looks like a busted thermistor is making the unit think it's overheating.) But the manuals for this old kit is amazing.

Just from it's manual, I'm able to work out what's going wrong and it's cause.

anyway, other things, we have a small Yaesu hand held (vx-5) and with that we can pick up a lot of HF stuff, but as it has no ssb, it's no good for some of the ham bands. But with one of our home brew mag loop antennas (I will post a pic and a description soon) we're able to pick up both wwv and wwvh from southern Australia, which is pretty cool.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

blugu64 posted:

As far as legalities go the same rules apply for ATV as for any other mode of transmission, to the best of my knowledge. Also people who both yack all the time, and quick key the repeaters suck.

Simplex is so much cooler. 146.52 forever!

So does that mean that when making an ATV transmission on a repeater, you're just as limited to a few seconds of transmission out of politeness? When I win the lottery and can buy all the gear to play with ATV, I don't want to be a dick. :)

One idea I've been toying with is buying an RC plane and placing a micro camera and micro transmitter to the plane. Then tuning in to the TV channel the transmitter transmits on and flying the plane that way. I figure if I can find a way to place an overlay on the broadcasted image that has my call sign, I'm in the clear (and of course I'd make up a little plate or something with my call to stick on the controller too).

I of course would be doing this on an empty frequency and not on an ATV repeater.

Also, I'm excited! I can hear my elmer when he's on simplex using a ghetto j-pole antenna! So we plan to try a bunch of SSTV, PSK, etc. on 2-meter simplex.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Don't know if anyone has seen it, but here is something that should get any ham tingly in the pants region:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=3vE1zk60v3E

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
There's a really good thread going over at eHam right now, for those who haven't seen it. It's titled "Endless Fun in This Hobby", and for once, everyone is getting along talking about how much they like being a ham and what they still want to learn/do before they die.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I'd love to hear if anybody else has goofy identification messages on your local repeaters.

A nearby one recently switched to a recording of a little kid who can't be older than 5 reading the repeater's call sign. Another one had a fairly normal recorded ID except the word "repeater" after the call was in a booming radio voice with a bunch of reverb. One plays the Westminster Chime in DTMF tones before announcing the time on the hour.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
All of the repeaters around here that I lurk on ID in a robot voice or cw :(

One of them (can't remember which) occasionally has a female robot voice say "Good evening" though. I'm jealous of your wacky ID repeaters.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Dog Case posted:

I'd love to hear if anybody else has goofy identification messages on your local repeaters.

A nearby one recently switched to a recording of a little kid who can't be older than 5 reading the repeater's call sign. Another one had a fairly normal recorded ID except the word "repeater" after the call was in a booming radio voice with a bunch of reverb. One plays the Westminster Chime in DTMF tones before announcing the time on the hour.

Some of the guys running the West Virginia repeaters have talked about using odd ball courtesy tones. Most obnoxiously they demoed the "Nextel" sound. Blech. The Apollo roger beep was IMO the best one and the one they used. Other than that if it was terribly obnoxious I would likely steer clear of the machine. Leave that silly crap for the 11m weenies. Also, I wonder if the Westminster chime thing would run afoul of the no music rule?

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Man, I would set up my own repeater just to hire a professional beat-boxer do a hip hop version my repeater's call sign! :D

Thunderbird_Wine
Aug 6, 2007

Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this thread for so long, I've been a Ham for about 8 months now after getting my license at the urging of a professor at my college.

Here's the obligatory shack picture:

That's a kenwood TS-520S 160-10m tranciever, an icom IC-32A 2m/40cm HT and an old radioshack HTX212 mobile 2m. I just moved so all I have right now is the Icom working. I'm debating on putting the 212 into my new car, and the kenwood is missing a few things that I need to take care of before it can transmit. Like a mic that has an actual connector and an antenna. The D-104 desk mic on the extreme left is also a work in progress. For those of you who are in the upstate NY region, I am callsign KB3PXY and am usually on any of the repeaters in the Rochester area.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Thunderbird_Wine posted:

Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this thread for so long, I've been a Ham for about 8 months now after getting my license at the urging of a professor at my college.

Here's the obligatory shack picture:

That's a kenwood TS-520S 160-10m tranciever, an icom IC-32A 2m/40cm HT and an old radioshack HTX212 mobile 2m. I just moved so all I have right now is the Icom working. I'm debating on putting the 212 into my new car, and the kenwood is missing a few things that I need to take care of before it can transmit. Like a mic that has an actual connector and an antenna. The D-104 desk mic on the extreme left is also a work in progress. For those of you who are in the upstate NY region, I am callsign KB3PXY and am usually on any of the repeaters in the Rochester area.

Your shack is far too neat for my tastes.

Pictured is a (left to right) TS-440S/AT (above is an old TNC, a Pakratt PK-232MBX that I use for RTTY and VHF packet occasionally), a Heathkit SB-200 (on top of the SB-200 is a Yaesu FT-817ND) and a Bencher paddle on loan. Mobile I run a Icom 706MKIIG into a High Sierra Sidekick.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
ARGH! As of right now, I think Echolink sucks! But, I'm saying this because I can't get validated! I don't have a land line, only a cell phone. I tried to validate anyways using the phone method and I can't! The validation page says that my phone number is not valid. But it IS valid! I checked my CORES page on the FCC website and there it is - my phone number! Rawwrrrr!

I can't use the scan-and-upload method because I haven't gotten my paper license yet, just two letters from the FCC telling me that I'm registered in CORES. I wanna Echolink with people! :(

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Dolemite posted:

ARGH! As of right now, I think Echolink sucks! But, I'm saying this because I can't get validated! I don't have a land line, only a cell phone. I tried to validate anyways using the phone method and I can't! The validation page says that my phone number is not valid. But it IS valid! I checked my CORES page on the FCC website and there it is - my phone number! Rawwrrrr!

I can't use the scan-and-upload method because I haven't gotten my paper license yet, just two letters from the FCC telling me that I'm registered in CORES. I wanna Echolink with people! :(

I would email the guys that run it. They may not have synced their database yet. I've used echolink before, it's kind of neat -- don't give up hope yet.

On a related note, does anyone know where can I upload a small mp3 to post here on the forums? It's a five second recording of my mobile to my base station I just made. This morning I got my rear end chewed out on 20m because my audio was "terrible, terrible. just awful!" I didn't think there was a loving thing wrong with my audio after listening but I figured a semi-impartial group could judge what was coming out.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
I suppose you could use tindeck for that. But, how far away was the guy you were talking to, as opposed to hitting your base station locally?

Of course it's going to sound really good when you're hitting your base from your driveway or even in town, as opposed to talking to joe in timbuktu.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

mwdan posted:

I suppose you could use tindeck for that. But, how far away was the guy you were talking to, as opposed to hitting your base station locally?

Of course it's going to sound really good when you're hitting your base from your driveway or even in town, as opposed to talking to joe in timbuktu.

Well, his comment was that it sounded like I had a spark gap generator next to the microphone. For this test, I had the engine on and revving so if it was noise getting into my transmitted audio I would think this test would actually be fairly valid. If there were QRM or QRN near me or on top of me that shouldn't have given me a bad audio report (and I mean this guy was a dick so that may have been it.) He didn't ID so I have no idea how far away he was but he was an easy S7 or S8.

Here's the test.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Would any new or prospective hams be interested in an mp3 about 30 minutes long tuning around the ham bands and the SW broadcast bands? I left my previous test running a good deal longer than I thought and tuned around the bands.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Dog Case posted:

On the local 146.76 repeater, if you touch-tone 41 you get one of these

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Hu Fa Ted- That guy was probably a dick and/or hearing something else in there probably closer to his end. There are guys that are on the local 2m repeater that don't come in that clear.

Just ignore it. I'm sure he's one of those "I have $100,000+ in top of the line gear, so it can't POSSIBLY be on MY end" guys.

And Hala, those should be required on ALL repeaters.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Hu Fa Ted posted:

Well, his comment was that it sounded like I had a spark gap generator next to the microphone. For this test, I had the engine on and revving so if it was noise getting into my transmitted audio I would think this test would actually be fairly valid. If there were QRM or QRN near me or on top of me that shouldn't have given me a bad audio report (and I mean this guy was a dick so that may have been it.) He didn't ID so I have no idea how far away he was but he was an easy S7 or S8.

Here's the test.

That was perfectly readable to me. Sure, there is noise, but that sounds completely normal to these ears.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Just out of curiosity, how do people sound on Ham Radio? They're really low frequency waves, so it sounds bad, right?

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

Just out of curiosity, how do people sound on Ham Radio? They're really low frequency waves, so it sounds bad, right?
Not necessarily, which unfortunately makes your question kinda vague. Lower frequencies do tend to have interference, just like you find on AM radio. Ham operators in the US have use of frequencies starting at 1800 kHz, which is at the upper end of the AM band (around 1700 on your AM dial). We also have frequencies all the way above 275 GHz to use, which would be about 275,000 on your FM dial (yeah, the one that goes from 87-108) :) . The audio snip that Hu Fa Ted provided a few posts above is a good indication of what the lower end sounds like. On the upper end, what you listen to on the radio in your car is a good indicator of what we use would sound like.

Edit: I just moved to a new area, so I'm finding all kinds of resources. Here is a recording of some of the activity taking place around 146 mHz.

Halah fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 14, 2008

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
on 2m everyone sounds like a radio person :colbert:

I'm not entirely joking by that. There's some weird effect the radio has on the way people talk. I noticed that I talk differently when keyed up. :)

Also, if anybody here is in North Texas and is going to Hamcom, I hope to see you there! I'll be heading out to it here shortly once I shower up and round up some breakfast and my ham buddy.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Here's an example of a commercial HF SSB operation. This is an FAA ATC directing Trans Atlantic flights. I forgot the frequency it was around 8 or 9 Mhz.

This starts off with an HF net and tunes around. There are also some AM shortwave broadcasters.

Pimblor fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 14, 2008

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Welp, it looks like the FCC isn't as juvenile as I am, and granted my vanity call application. :shobon:

Goodbye KC9GJC, hello K9CUF.

edit: Spell it backwards.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 14, 2008

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

nmfree posted:

Welp, it looks like the FCC isn't as juvenile as I am, and granted my vanity call application. :shobon:

Goodbye KC9GJC, hello K9CUF.

Hmm. I don' geddit. Explanation? See you fart?

edit: Clever clever boy. Bravo.

Pimblor fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 14, 2008

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
We've (myself and blugu64) returned from Ham-Com. I tossed some pictures up on my hosting.

Boat anchors and old men, now outdoors at Ham-Com!

Inside at Ham-Com. There were actually a few women in attendence...and a bunch of old men. It kinda smelled like old men. A lot. There were a lot of people on electric scooters.

The best electronics are from Japan. And made of wood.

I bought a new IC-208H for ~$270 from Texas Towers

Cool booth.

Terrible picture, but the FLEX-5000 is pretty awesome. Its a SDR :fap: with no knobs. :smith: Supposedly the softare to run it is open source. I chatted up one of the guys running the booth, and apparently they're looking at running on both Windows and Linux in the future. I'm tempted to send them my resume. :dance: Otherwise, I'll never be able to afford this guy at $2,700.

Eventually I was hungry. Yay Arbys!

I wasn't present to win :(

The new radio. Hot.
Also: power <----> beer

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Very cool sklnd. You're right though, the ARRL is only one letter away from what most of these guys are also a member of. There are a lot of new hams though.

Is anyone in the MD/DC/NOVA area going to the Frederick Hamfest? It's usually OK and is tomorrow. Hamgoons represent? Goonham? Hoongam?

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

sklnd posted:

We've (myself and blugu64) returned from Ham-Com. I tossed some pictures up on my hosting.

The new radio. Hot.
Also: power <----> beer

What's the name of that connector by the manual, the one that's a red plug into a white one? I need a few of those, and I've been having a hell of a time finding them.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
The cable itself is a OPC-1132

I have no idea what the connector is, though.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Snapshot posted:

What's the name of that connector by the manual, the one that's a red plug into a white one? I need a few of those, and I've been having a hell of a time finding them.
I think this is what you're looking for.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
So I've finally started getting on the air and I just now checked into my first ever net! Radio rules! :D

I tried to experiment with sending SSTV over 2 meters with a friend. He wasn't receiving my transmissions and I was wracking my brain wondering why the hell not. Turns out I kinda forgot to plug in a male-to-male cable from the sound card to the Signalink. Whoops! I need to link up with my friend again so we can try SSTV once again.

Also, as promised, a pic of my "shack". In the lower right powered up is a borrowed Kenwood TM-261. To the left of that is another borrowed 2-meter radio. This one is a Radio Shack HTX-252.

Oh, and in the upper right corner is my monkey lamp. This lamp is important. You need a fully working monkey lamp if you're gonna work greybeards on 2-meters. This is important!

(click for big)

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 16, 2008

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones
Working with the radio at my mother and fathers place is much more successful than at home. The fact that it's about 60KMs from the city helps. And it's nice to spend a night in a place without light pollution is really nice.

Anyway my partner and I set up a basic wire dipole antenna, 10 meters side to side, and strung it up around the decking out the back of my parents place.

This antenna cost us the grand cost of under $5AUD nice and cheap.

Anyway during the daylight hours, we listened in to the 20 and 40 meter bands, even picking up some guy from california, which was kinda cool.

At night the 40 Meters seemed almost unusable as there was a lot of AM stuff emanating from China, and also a repeating noise that could of been an over the horizon radar system also from China.

But 80 Meters was fairly active, and we filled many pages of my little log book with stuff we found interesting. One of the cool things was a couple of guys talking about how to build decent chokes and baluns from stuff in their junk boxes.

A good day all in all.

I so need to get myself licensed so I can start transmitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 28, 2019