Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AhhYes posted:

Glad to hear that. It was/is a concern of mine, but it's been so great that I'm starting to not care if it'll cost more to own.

They used to be sorta iffy. They're reliable nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Phat_Albert posted:

They used to be sorta iffy. They're reliable nowadays.

So is there anything that you oh-so-knowledgeable ones would recommend as far as routine maintenance?

Is there anything Ducati-specific that I ought to keep an eye out for?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Just have all service done, or do it yourself, at the recommended intervals. DO NOT put off changing the timing belts.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

WTFBEES posted:

These aren't any more real than the pixels on your screen, but they sure are nice to look at.

C'mon new 2 strokes!

Hmm that mnaked bike has a very striking resemblance to an ER6-N

http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/images/Various/ParisShow2005%20045ER6nABS.JPG

but that faired bike looks hotttttttt :O

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

AhhYes posted:

So is there anything that you oh-so-knowledgeable ones would recommend as far as routine maintenance?

Ducati has made strides to reduce maintenance on their bikes so you don't have to take it in as often. However, when you do take it in, it's gonna be expensive because it's a Ducati. If you can take the time to do it yourself you can save a boatload of cash, but you might also void your warranty.

EDIT: Ugh, this is the wrong thread to ask in too, sorry. You should probably take it to the Megathread.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I posted this in the Bike Gear thread but I think it's relevant here too.

Apparently she was wear boots but an 18 wheeler did a burnout on her boot or something like that. If you don't wanna see scroll really fast to the bottom of the page.
:nms: :nms:

https://wi.somethingawful.com/14/145e67081f625731f7084efdc2a6e698dbe08fe8.jpg#via=salr
https://wi.somethingawful.com/c5/c581ff08730dfd11d22892f5c7bd1930f9da8ce2.jpg#via=salr
https://wi.somethingawful.com/f9/f99a6801f8b8b8c926bce400c62dc7dcf595dab1.jpg#via=salr
https://wi.somethingawful.com/57/57b5c856e6c088f737ff9b23965a6baeff3cd914.jpg#via=salr
https://wi.somethingawful.com/19/192fd76e44b875df97d49fa63f259b78cdce9316.jpg#via=salr
https://wi.somethingawful.com/80/80ed946f6dfcd77bbe0ddfe142b6d9179c9c27d7.jpg#via=salr
https://wi.somethingawful.com/27/278a9f6ce0e19395868b6aa5458058a305212d93.jpg#via=salr
https://wi.somethingawful.com/cd/cd1ba03f14b6c30d0bde218c688a77fe0250a6b0.jpg#via=salr
https://wi.somethingawful.com/18/18b338364c19d42b6ae76359348a7fc421163d3a.jpg#via=salr
https://wi.somethingawful.com/cf/cf7b353147e2663c3f70fa1e82f7aed729b1a88d.jpg#via=salr

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 14, 2008

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
That is a loving tragedy

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

To the bone. I'd probably throw up if I saw my foot in that kind of shape. And the chicken skin look of the skin graft isn't much better.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Doctor Zero posted:

If you can take the time to do it yourself you can save a boatload of cash, but you might also void your warranty.

In the US, unless they offer the service and parts free of charge, they cant void your warrenty if you have someone else or yourself do the work. Regardless of what it says in the owners manual. Just keep record of what you do and when, so you can prove it was done.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Jesus loving Christ. NMS that poo poo dude.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Jesus christ, that is insane. I've also never seen a skin graft directly after it's done. Unreal.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I always wear my boots. Always. I'm never going to take the fuckers off now.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

I posted this in the Bike Gear thread but I think it's relevant here too.

This is why you wearing proper riding boots.

You're a loving prick, you know that? For two reasons. One, posting questionably NWS material in here without warning. Two, get your story straight, SHE WAS WEARING loving BOOTS. What happened is the truck that hit her essentially did a burn out on her boot, THROUGH THE BOOTS.

Here's the most original post about this I could find and if you read the discussion they say she was wearing Alpinestar Boots. Also the rash on her side in one of the pics is from a different accident.

http://niketalk.yuku.com/topic/54494/t/Hot-model-rides--motorcycle---crashes--PICS-WARNING.html?page=1

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Two, get your story straight, SHE WAS WEARING loving BOOTS. What happened is the truck that hit her essentially did a burn out on her boot, THROUGH THE BOOTS.

I'm interested in hearing about how the gently caress she got in a tangle with an 18-wheeler and ended up doing okay.

Also thanks Optimus Matrix for posting that loving poo poo without warning us.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

You're a loving prick, you know that? For two reasons. One, posting questionably NWS material in here without warning. Two, get your story straight, SHE WAS WEARING loving BOOTS. What happened is the truck that hit her essentially did a burn out on her boot, THROUGH THE BOOTS.

Here's the most original post about this I could find and if you read the discussion they say she was wearing Alpinestar Boots. Also the rash on her side in one of the pics is from a different accident.

http://niketalk.yuku.com/topic/54494/t/Hot-model-rides--motorcycle---crashes--PICS-WARNING.html?page=1

haha get your loving panties out of your vagina. I got the pics in my email from someone else saying she wasn't wearing boots.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

AhhYes posted:

As others have said, do not put off scheduled maintenance. Also, valve service. Desmodromic valves on Ducatis take more time/money to service than standard spring-operated valves. 2v motors cost a bit more, 4v motors cost quite a bit more.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

OptimusMatrix posted:

haha get your loving panties out of your vagina. I got the pics in my email from someone else saying she wasn't wearing boots.

And somehow you failed to notice that several of the pictures that you posted clearly show her in boots?

You, my friend, are a genius.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Holy poo poo, thanks for the nightmares.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Nate Falls posted:

And somehow you failed to notice that several of the pictures that you posted clearly show her in boots?

You, my friend, are a genius.

Apparently you translate promotional model shoots to what she actually wears when she's riding when the fourth photo down shows her wearing jeans and some type of soft shoe.

You, my friend, are an idiot.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Apparently you translate promotional model shoots to what she actually wears when she's riding when the fourth photo down shows her wearing jeans and some type of soft shoe.

The question is, why haven't you edited your post, yet? Seriously, link those photos and :nms: them.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

The question is, why haven't you edited your post, yet? Seriously, link those photos and :nms: them.

Edited to reflect what some guy said on a forum that he doesn't know the girl personally but that he got those pics from a friend. And I have the NMS at the top

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
They should make you look at that kind of poo poo before you can get you endorsement.

A few good motorcycle crashes in this vid, but the one at 2:50 is epic "oh poo poo".

http://www.break.com/index/awesome-compilation-of-racing-crashes.html

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

OptimusMatrix posted:

That "soft shoe" could be any of a number of different low-top riding boots/shoes, all of which are a good deal more protective than a regular shoe. So unless you can actually identify those shoes, get off my balls.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Man, as horrible as that is, I can only assume it could have been much worse. In my mind if an 18 wheeler meets any part of my body its generally going to be destroyed beyond recognition, the foot seemed generally whole. I'm not going to lie though, I've never seen bones through a foot like that before.

They did a hell of a job on that skin graft, comparing the last skin graft picture to the first skeleton foot picture is like a night and day comparison.

Edit: If that doesn't push you to buy boots there is a video of a guy wearing no gear at all low siding into a guardrail. It shows his foot literally ripped off and hanging by the skin. The day after I saw that I chose to screw lunch money for the next 2 weeks and buy boots.

Trintintin fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 14, 2008

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Edited to reflect what some guy said on a forum that he doesn't know the girl personally but that he got those pics from a friend. And I have the NMS at the top

Having the emoticon at the top doesn't excuse you from the fact that they should have been linked in the first place.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'll tell you what's nms; the fact that she looks like a man.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Holy poo poo, was that guy okay? He looks like a goner.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
9/11 never forget.

We got ground zero,

The towers,

flames all over the place,

fire truck design (and obligatory theme-centric license plate),

and yeah, the eagle is crying.

Long story short, Turtle Parlor and I were taking a trip up to Chimney Rock and were greeted by this bike. I would hate to know how much that cost in air brushing.

Oh and something awesome: 1941 BMW R-bike with 4-speed shifter. That thing was loving cool.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
It was a beautiful day in Seattle, so Grizled and I decided to go for a ride.

So I got my gear on...

While he waited...

Then 'walked' over and hopped on the back :(

Maybe in another month I can take my own bike again.

Crutching down the street in full leathers got a few 'wtf' looks.

Zool fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 15, 2008

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

zool you're the man. We're riding this week man. I'm back!

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

God I am so loving FAT I'm such a loving FATTY ARGRHHGRGHRHGHG

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

GriszledMelkaba posted:

God I am so loving FAT I'm such a loving FATTY ARGRHHGRGHRHGHG

Yeah, I didn't really want to point it out, but you are really letting yourself go. (Want to go get some Dick's?)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ripoff posted:

Oh and something awesome: 1941 BMW R-bike with 4-speed shifter. That thing was loving cool.
R12, made from 1936 or so until the end of ww2. 750cc side-valve, 18hp. first production bike to have telescopic front forks i think. for the longest time, this was BMW's best selling model of all time. like 150,000 of them. the R1200GS may or may not have beaten that by now, i don't remember.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Zool posted:

Yeah, I didn't really want to point it out, but you are really letting yourself go. (Want to go get some Dick's?)

FYI that flame cane is in reference to you

This is what you use to get around you hick House wanna-be

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I tried to take a similar posed shot of the Valkyrie with it restored, from what I had from when I bought it. So...

Before:

After:

Oh yeah. Much better!

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007

pr0zac posted:

While we are on the ridiculous looking bikes topic:

TheTrend posted:

This guy lives near me. I've seen it a couple times. It's pretty neat in person if a bit insane.

Saw this bike today near where I live. Sorry for the crappy pic.

pseudohippy
May 3, 2007
nevermind, that picture looked like rear end.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

unknown poster posted:

Saw this bike today near where I live. Sorry for the crappy pic.

COMPLETE ANKLE EXPLOSURE

I can already hear the sound of ankle bone being filed down on concrete :barf:

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I went to Advanced Motorsports with a friend and got some pics of the DesmosediciRR and 1098R.

Click for bigger

*edit*

:argh: STUNTERS! :argh:

bung fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 18, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oh man I think I found my next bike

Honda FMX650

Of course I'd want something for distance touring, maybe a Cagiva Raptor 650? :D

Italian styling, Suzuki drivetrain.