Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.
Alright, so I'm trying to hook an old truck horn up to a battery and switch to create an obnoxious noise box that I can cause general mischief with. I know very little about electronics or the horn aside from the fact that it should function under a 12v power source. I'd imagine it's dc power and I know that it's a single wire horn so the body of the horn is the ground and the wire itself is the positive connection.

I figured that two 6v lantern batteries connected in a series would function but I guess they lack the amperage. Anyone know of a relatively cheap battery that would power this horn? I'm looking to spend maybe $20-$30, maybe a little more if it's unavoidable.

The horn in question (I don't see how this would help):

A friend's dad did something similar with a halogen headlight in an ammo box, but he used a motorcycle battery which cost upwards of $100. I'd imagine it wouldn't take all that much to make the horn toot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Lawn tractor battery? Hell, you can get a cheap car battery for about $40. Try going to a junkyard and getting one from a wreck.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
nm

ease fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 15, 2008

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Pissingintowind posted:

Now, after seeing a deal at Home Depot for a Ryobi One+ starter kit, I'm kind of questioning myself.
I had a very similar setup (mine came with a reciprocating saw and a flashlight) and I burned out the motors in the circular saw and drill at about the 3 year mark and out of my 4 batteries, 2 didn't last that long. (This was 2002 that I bought everything). Not major use, but I will admit that I pushed the tools rather hard (concrete screws, lots of 2x4/OSB cutting). As I need them, I've been replacing the tools with moderate grade tools (Dewalt overpowered drill and Millwaukee circular saw, both corded) and haven't looked back.

BUT I will agree with Sapper:

Sapper posted:

Get some Walmart/Sears brand tools, learn how to use them, then decide if you need better tools.

Ryobi = Home Depot's brand, and I forget Lowe's brand, but the same thing. I'd just suggest corded over cordless. Cordless is convenient, but battery replacement sucks. I love my Ryobi random orbit sander to death, and I've re-sanded a few floors and walls with it. If you kill one of the cheap tools, it's a sign that you need something better.

Citizen Scheibe posted:

A friend's dad did something similar with a halogen headlight in an ammo box, but he used a motorcycle battery which cost upwards of $100.
Go to Walmart and buy a small 12v lead acid battery for less than $50 or a 12/18v pack from a cordless tool.

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 15, 2008

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy
We just put up some new drywall in a basement and I put the first coat of primer on tonight. It's Killz 2 (the latex one). I'm just wondering whether or not I should put on a second coat of primer.

The drywall is the fancy moisture/mold resistant kind, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference either way. The walls will be painted a light color if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Citizen Scheibe posted:

Alright, so I'm trying to hook an old truck horn up to a battery and switch to create an obnoxious noise box that I can cause general mischief with. I know very little about electronics or the horn aside from the fact that it should function under a 12v power source. I'd imagine it's dc power and I know that it's a single wire horn so the body of the horn is the ground and the wire itself is the positive connection.

I figured that two 6v lantern batteries connected in a series would function but I guess they lack the amperage. Anyone know of a relatively cheap battery that would power this horn? I'm looking to spend maybe $20-$30, maybe a little more if it's unavoidable.

Are you sure it's 12V? Silly question, but depending on where you are and your definition of truck it might be 24V. If it doesn't function at 12V, I'd imagine it's knackered or 24V. Those lamp batteries should have the amperage to make some noise, but I don't want you to burn it out and blame me.

Briantist posted:

We just put up some new drywall in a basement and I put the first coat of primer on tonight. It's Killz 2 (the latex one). I'm just wondering whether or not I should put on a second coat of primer.

The drywall is the fancy moisture/mold resistant kind, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference either way. The walls will be painted a light color if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Paint a test patch and see what you think. It's almost always cheaper to put 2 coats of primer down than topcoat.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 15, 2008

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cakefool posted:

Paint a test patch and see what you think. It's almost always cheaper to put 2 coats of primer down than topcoat.
Based on previous painting with this color, I figured we'd have to do two coats anyway (maybe we're crappy painters?). Is the second coat what you're referring to as a top coat? How often is a second coat of primer needed? Is that SOP for new walls?

Haikeeba!
Jan 15, 2007

Thank you Mrs Peel, the money is on the dresser.

Briantist posted:

Based on previous painting with this color, I figured we'd have to do two coats anyway (maybe we're crappy painters?). Is the second coat what you're referring to as a top coat? How often is a second coat of primer needed? Is that SOP for new walls?

Topcoat in this case is simply the name for the "proper" paint - that is, the paint that isn't sealer, primer or undercoat.

For new gyprock or plaster walls the SOP is one coat of a sealer/primer, and then your colour. If you were using a deep colour, particularly a red one, I would say prime it, then give it a grey undercoat before the topcoat, but for a light colour you should be able to paint it straight on. I would give it two coats of topcoat, it will give you a more even colour. Doing an additional coat of sealer/primer would really only be necessary if the first coat was patchy.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Haikeeba! posted:

Topcoat in this case is simply the name for the "proper" paint - that is, the paint that isn't sealer, primer or undercoat.

For new gyprock or plaster walls the SOP is one coat of a sealer/primer, and then your colour. If you were using a deep colour, particularly a red one, I would say prime it, then give it a grey undercoat before the topcoat, but for a light colour you should be able to paint it straight on. I would give it two coats of topcoat, it will give you a more even colour. Doing an additional coat of sealer/primer would really only be necessary if the first coat was patchy.
Okay great; thanks for the explanation! I see what he meant now about the topcoat.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

Blowupologist posted:

If the house isn't a long-term investment go with the option that's cheapest and easiest to install. You've already justified why you don't care about the additional reliability or quiet, so why choose the option that's going to be a pain to work with? Just make sure installing the Chamberlain is as easy as it appears at first glance. Few things are more difficult than shoehorning a system where it doesn't want to go.

Thanks for the advice, I ran out to Home Depot and picked up a 1/2 HP Chamberlain chain drive unit. I had planned on installing this weekend, but I just got royally hosed, and I really need some help. After the problem started, we detached the garage door assembly from the chain by pulling the "manual release cable". We were still able to open and close the garage door by hand though which worked just fine, just stick your fingers underneath and lift. One big issue which will come up later is that we live in a condo with a detached garage, and the garage door is the only way in & out of the garage -- there's no other door.

While closing the garage door on Friday, my fiancee took her hand off it for a second and it went crashing shut really fast. As a result, the door has managed to wedge itself shut, and I have no easy way of getting the thing open. We tried using crowbars slid underneath the door, but all they seem to do is bend the door, it barely budges a few mm. Here's what appears to have happened:

Ordinarily there's a lever arm (colored in blue) which lets the top portion of the garage door slide back along the rail when the door is lifted (top picture). I can see just enough through the crack at the top of the garage door to see that the arm has moved forward far enough that any attempt to lift the door just wedges it tighter (bottom picture), this must have happened when the door slammed shut violently. I tried sticking a flat metal bar through the crack at the top of the door in an effort to push the arm back, hopefully letting it slide normally again. I just couldn't get enough leverage to do that unfortunately. So the door's shut and I have no easy way of opening it... gently caress.

I called a few local garage door companies and they all seem reluctant to try anything to fix it besides completely demolishing the garage door and installing a brand new one. Same thing with a locksmith company. It seems like there might be a few options:

1) Drill a hole in the wood at the top of the garage door frame, which might allow me to shove some type of rigid medal rod through there and push the sliding part of the arm backwards and back into "normal" position. It's hard to do this correctly without seeing what's on the other side, and the garage door repair places seemed to have apprehensions about doing this themselves (liability issues I suppose).

2) There's a lock near the top of the garage door which is meant to serve as a manual-release mechanism (in case the power goes out, you can use this to release the door from the chain and open your door manually). However we don't have the key to it (stupid previous owners). I thought maybe we could drill out this cylinder and possibly use the hole to lever the arm back into place. This seems like it might be harder than what I already tried doing though. We'd also have to get the lock unit replaced afterwards (which we should probably do anyway since we don't have a key to it, and it might be useful in a power outage).

3) Use a jigsaw to cut a hole in the plywood separating my neighbor's attached garage from mine (there's 4 garages next to each other as one big building) big enough to step through. I could then walk into my garage, get a stepstool, and yank the arm back into place. I'm not sure how eager my neighbor will be to let me do this though, plus I'd have to fix the hole afterwards (might not be big problem though). This would probably be the least frustrating option though since I could actually get my hands directly on the problem equipment.

Any thoughts, or suggestions I may have missed?

Endor fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 16, 2008

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd probably try #2 first, and if that fails, then #3. You don't even need it big enough to walk through - a crawl space should suffice and will be a bit easier to patch up nicely.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I would be inclined to just skip trying to fix the problem with the door, and instead go directly for option number 3 if your neighbor is open to it. If the mechanical problem is as difficult as it seems then I suspect any efforts that constrain you like that are just going to be a problem. Instead of cutting a hole in the plywood (is it seriously just a single sheet of plywood?), see if you could remove an entire section.

I don't have a lot of experience with garage doors. Can you replace a single section of the garage door? If so, I would consider cutting a hole in the garage door and then replacing that single section.

one sexy loser
Dec 10, 2007

So I'm trying to be nice and fix a door handle in my boyfriend's flat. The wood on one side has been damaged and the screws have been ripped out. What can I use to either patch up the wood and the holes (so the screws will hold again), or is this a case where a fuckton of superglue will probably be ok?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

helli bubbles posted:

So I'm trying to be nice and fix a door handle in my boyfriend's flat. The wood on one side has been damaged and the screws have been ripped out. What can I use to either patch up the wood and the holes (so the screws will hold again), or is this a case where a fuckton of superglue will probably be ok?

The best way to fix it is to get dowels of a set size. Drill out a hole the size of the dowel and glue in the dowel. Let it set overnight and then you will have a clean slate to start with. There are also other ways to go that involve setting in some kind of metal but the doweling in the cheapest way to go.

Temporary Overload
Jan 26, 2005
meh
I'm trying to clean out a filthy workshop/maintenance room at work, but the company is run by people who hate throwing anything away. There's a shelf full of random electrical wiring, and a lot of it probably dates back to the 70's or earlier. I want to scrap anything that isn't rated at least THHN/TWHN but I know I'll have to justify it to my supervisor. Is wiring rated TW or TH still up to code (for commercial building use)? How much is insulated copper wiring worth as scrap?

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005
I just took off a bunch of wall paper at my parent's house, and it took off the finishing on the drywall underneath. How should I go about re-finishing it, or do I need to put up new drywall?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

you either need to reskim with plaster - skilled work in my opinion, or re-drywall.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 21, 2008

Haikeeba!
Jan 15, 2007

tempo502 posted:

I'm trying to clean out a filthy workshop/maintenance room at work, but the company is run by people who hate throwing anything away. There's a shelf full of random electrical wiring, and a lot of it probably dates back to the 70's or earlier. I want to scrap anything that isn't rated at least THHN/TWHN but I know I'll have to justify it to my supervisor. Is wiring rated TW or TH still up to code (for commercial building use)? How much is insulated copper wiring worth as scrap?

I have no idea about US safety codes, but I do know you are sitting on a goldmine with that copper. Copper is ludicrously expensive at the moment, so take as much as you can and sell it to a scrap metal dealer.

inkwell posted:

I just took off a bunch of wall paper at my parent's house, and it took off the finishing on the drywall underneath. How should I go about re-finishing it, or do I need to put up new drywall?

Depends what you are doing over the top of it, and how badly the surface is messed up. If you are putting new wallpaper, and the surface is still relatively smooth, you might get away with putting a skim coat on over the top, same with painting - but be prepared to do extra sanding and priming. If it's very lumpy, then scrap it and just put up new drywall.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Haikeeba! posted:

I have no idea about US safety codes, but I do know you are sitting on a goldmine with that copper. Copper is ludicrously expensive at the moment, so take as much as you can and sell it to a scrap metal dealer.

Some scrap dealers may even accept it with the insulation still on.

Temporary Overload
Jan 26, 2005
meh

Blowupologist posted:

Some scrap dealers may even accept it with the insulation still on.

When I was a kid, my uncle used to collect copper scrap. He would just throw a bunch of wire on a campfire to burn the insulation off. Is that pretty much the recommended method? I'm not using wire strippers on this much poo poo.

Keep in mind that while copper is hella valuable as scrap, it's more valuable as usable wiring...

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

This one's probably easy, I just want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid.

I have a leaking petcock (hurr!) in the upstairs bathroom. It's a slow, slow leak but after a day there's a small puddle on the floor beneath it. It's the one that feeds the toilet bowl. When I spotted it I was hoping for a leaky hose going to the tank, but no luck--it's the actual valve that has a leak. :(

So, I'm guessing that the right way to fix it is:

1) Shut off water to the house

2) Open a downstairs faucet for a bit to get rid of any water sitting in the pipes above the petcock (I guess that would be only the bathroom faucets and showers that have some in them).

3) Remove petcock. The pipe is PVC so I'm guessing it has a compression fitting on it. Do I remove the compression fitting and associated nut or can I reuse it? If I have to remove it, will it be stuck on and I have to cut it off?

4) Attach shiny new working petcock.

5) Turn water on and run the faucets/showers to get the air out.

Is this about the right approach? I do all my home repairs (including working on the gas lines) but I hate dealing with water...

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

5) Turn water on and run the faucets/showers to get the air out.

Is this about the right approach? I do all my home repairs (including working on the gas lines) but I hate dealing with water...

In my experience. 5 is not really necessary. Water will force sll the air out whenever you use the taps.

My question: Is there some trick to or special tool for removing the pins on door hinges?

emanonii
Jun 22, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

3) Remove petcock. The pipe is PVC so I'm guessing it has a compression fitting on it. Do I remove the compression fitting and associated nut or can I reuse it? If I have to remove it, will it be stuck on and I have to cut it off?

I would guess that the end of the PVC is threaded (no compression nut) and that the petcock screws into it.

I agree with kapalama - 5 is not necessary. The air will work itself out.

kapalama posted:

My question: Is there some trick to or special tool for removing the pins on door hinges?

I use a nail to pop the pin out. Put the nail under the pin and tap with a hammer. Once you get it started (and if the nail isn't long enough) you can then use a flathead screwdriver on the underside of the lip of the pin. Tap the screwdriver with the hammer to get the rest of the pin out.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

emanonii posted:

I use a nail to pop the pin out. Put the nail under the pin and tap with a hammer. Once you get it started (and if the nail isn't long enough) you can then use a flathead screwdriver on the underside of the lip of the pin. Tap the screwdriver with the hammer to get the rest of the pin out.

Thanks for that (obvious in retrospect) tip: Hit it from the bottom first. (I am such an idiot.)

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
Since 2 nights ago, my toilet is sort of backing up. Let me explain:

Basically I will flush and have a clear toilet. A few hours later, some paper will come back up and be in the bowl the next time I check. The toilet seems to flush powerfully, as it should, but the water is also slightly brown. I've tried plunging, but again the toilet seems to have no problem flushing. The stuff comes back up after a few hours. Any ideas?

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

Haikeeba! posted:

Depends what you are doing over the top of it, and how badly the surface is messed up. If you are putting new wallpaper, and the surface is still relatively smooth, you might get away with putting a skim coat on over the top, same with painting - but be prepared to do extra sanding and priming. If it's very lumpy, then scrap it and just put up new drywall.

Well, my dad's a cheapass, so I guess I'm stuck re-skimming it. Do I just slather the stuff on, sand and hope for the best?

E: I already started re-skimming it with joint compound.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

inkwell posted:

Does this happen a lot? That would absolutely suck.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

kapalama posted:

Does this happen a lot? That would absolutely suck.

I don't think so. It's just that the wall paper has proboably been on the wall since the 50's. There were two layers of it, and the one underneath had a really antique looking colonial pattern. And it's kinda humid here, so that might have caused it too.

Haikeeba!
Jan 15, 2007

inkwell posted:

Well, my dad's a cheapass, so I guess I'm stuck re-skimming it. Do I just slather the stuff on, sand and hope for the best?

E: I already started re-skimming it with joint compound.

If you are using joint compound you are going to need to do a lot of sanding to get it smooth. Generally you would use top coat, or skim coat, or mirror finish (the names differ according to brands and localities). Joint compound will work, but it will be much grainier.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

Blowupologist posted:

I would be inclined to just skip trying to fix the problem with the door, and instead go directly for option number 3 if your neighbor is open to it. If the mechanical problem is as difficult as it seems then I suspect any efforts that constrain you like that are just going to be a problem. Instead of cutting a hole in the plywood (is it seriously just a single sheet of plywood?), see if you could remove an entire section.

In case anyone cares for an update, the stuck garage door problem got fixed -- I called in a professional. He used a crowbar to remove a strip of wood about 1" thick near the top of the garage door exterior that allowed him enough access to reach in with a wrench and unbolt the garage door from the metal arm connecting to the rail above. Then it was just a simple matter of lifting the door, walking in, and putting everything back into place. No permanent damage to anything thankfully, and nothing expensive needed replacing.

After that was done, he left installing the new garage door opener to me. It seems that garage door companies aren't big fans of installing discount stuff you buy from Home Depot, they'd rather sell you the equipment they stock (I don't blame them). Only took me about 3 hours for the replacement process since all the mounting points were already fine, I just unbolted all the old components and installed the new stuff. The biggest issue was that the fuckers didn't include a goddamn instruction manual. Oh sure, I'll know exactly what to do with these 80 various nuts and bolts and screws and pieces of plastic. I had to call up their 800 number and wait for half an hour, but thankfully they were able to email me a PDF of the instruction manual, and it was smooth sailing after that. Everything went correctly on the first try, and it works like a charm now!

A relatively small project in the DIY world I know, but you have to start somewhere.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

So what is the general sequence of steps for restaining a table? My parents found a decent small table for my apartment at a garage sale, but its got some unsightly scratches that are too much for a marker to cover. Is it just taking the table apart, sanding it and staining it? I plan on going for a darker color than it currently is.

Haikeeba!
Jan 15, 2007

Yep, that's pretty much it. Depending on the table you may not need to take it apart.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

ChaosBorg posted:

Since 2 nights ago, my toilet is sort of backing up.
City water or septic system? House or apartment?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Endor posted:

A relatively small project in the DIY world I know, but you have to start somewhere.

I'm glad everything got fixed up.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
In the bathroom I'm remodeling, the existing toilet flange is 1/4" below the height of the tile. I bought a 1/4" closet flange spacer (http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/107/Closet+Flange+Spacer.html). I can't for the life of me find any info on whether or not I should run a bead of silicone around the inner lip of the flange (between the wall of the existing flange and the lip of the spacer). Does anyone know?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Richard Noggin posted:

In the bathroom I'm remodeling, the existing toilet flange is 1/4" below the height of the tile. I bought a 1/4" closet flange spacer (http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/107/Closet+Flange+Spacer.html). I can't for the life of me find any info on whether or not I should run a bead of silicone around the inner lip of the flange (between the wall of the existing flange and the lip of the spacer). Does anyone know?

Better safe than sorry. I'd put a bead of the sealant down. At worst, you can scrape off whatever doesn't fit.

b0bx13
Jun 14, 2006
I want to put up a small shelf in my room, about 16" across. Problem is on one side is the closet, on the other side the wall recesses to another set of shelves, so there's only one stud, on the right side. I want the shelf to hold my bartop MAME cabinet that I built, which is around 15 lbs (we'll call it 20 for safety). Is there a way to make this work, or should I just figure out a different place/method for it?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

b0bx13 posted:

I want to put up a small shelf in my room, about 16" across. Problem is on one side is the closet, on the other side the wall recesses to another set of shelves, so there's only one stud, on the right side. I want the shelf to hold my bartop MAME cabinet that I built, which is around 15 lbs (we'll call it 20 for safety). Is there a way to make this work, or should I just figure out a different place/method for it?

There are drywall anchors rated for upwards of 50+ lbs, so you should be fine.

b0bx13
Jun 14, 2006
Awesome, thanks. And just because I'm overly paranoid, that's 50lbs for each one right? So if I have 2 brackets with 2 anchors each, that's 200lbs, right? Or am I an idiot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

b0bx13 posted:

Awesome, thanks. And just because I'm overly paranoid, that's 50lbs for each one right? So if I have 2 brackets with 2 anchors each, that's 200lbs, right? Or am I an idiot?

I'm pretty sure it means each one is rated to hold 50 lbs before they will pull out.