Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

elwood posted:

Hello, my name is Sanjay Kumar.

The best part of that PSA was the hilarious blue-blood accent he gives the white guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

elwood posted:

Hello, my name is Sanjay Kumar.

Hi, my name is Tyrone Washington and I'm a giant stereotype.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
I found the TV version of that awesome PSA. It's not identical to the radio version, but really drat close: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_3mSW8XUZI

KrycekCrack
Aug 27, 2003
Not looking to troll or anything, but has anyone else noticed Dr. Drew's tendency on this program to dismiss bisexual behavior as either unhealthy or attention-seeking? Granted, that's often the case, what with fourteen year old girls calling in - but I have never heard him accept someone's sexuality as such and move on to the caller's problem at hand. That is, being bi always seems to be a key focus of his analysis whenever it comes up.

KrycekCrack fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 16, 2008

FruMoogle
May 27, 2006

A cow don't make ham

Phone posted:

:aaaaa: I just heard the PSA with Graham Wellington.

So... how's your apartment?

Probably better than mine. My name is... Juan Hernandez.

bigbowlowrong
Dec 15, 2006

by Ozma

KrycekCrack posted:

Not looking to troll or anything, but has anyone else noticed Dr. Drew's tendency on this program to dismiss bisexual behavior as either unhealthy or attention-seeking? Granted, that's often the case, what with fourteen year old girls calling in - but I have never heard him accept someone's sexuality as such and move on to the caller's problem at hand. That is, being bi always seems to be a key focus of his analysis whenever it comes up.
Who abused you

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

KrycekCrack posted:

He never called it attention seeking, at least to my knowledge, but he definitely says he doesn't believe in someone being born bisexual. There have been bisexual callers where he didn't find anything screwy with them, but they are in the minority.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

KrycekCrack posted:

As with a lot of things you have to keep in mind who is calling the show. The very small number of people who are, say, swingers and have a healthy relationship don't call. It's the screwballs who were abused by their step-fathers and were talked into doing it with their best friend and their boyfriend who call. Same with non-alcoholic, occasional pot smokers and people who actually like anal once in a while.

I'm sure they're out there in very small numbers, but all those activities are usually the result of trauma in the people who call the show. Look at it from Drew's point of view. He sees tons of alcoholics and many of them exhibit these behaviors as a result of trauma, and these are the same people calling the show.

Jessi Bond
May 2, 2007

Daddy's girl's a fucking monster.

FruMoogle posted:

Probably better than mine. My name is... Juan Hernandez.

Another perennial favorite -

"I'm gonna stay out of trouble!"

A few thoughts on bisexuality, which are probably going to piss off some people, but this is a Loveline thread goddamn it.

Bisexuality makes no goddamn sense. It cuts your chances of reproduction in half, while your chances of catching a disease don't change. Since Drew often examines the biological imperatives behind human behavior, he can't make evolutionary sense of bisexuality. It's possible that it's something that has further developed to keep humans from overbreeding, but who knows? (Yes, you could say the same of homosexuality, but I think Drew doesn't touch that very much because it's such a cultural hotbutton.)

Anyway, plenty of people identify as bi who really aren't. It's become a way for confused adolescent girls to feel like they "belong" somewhere while, as a bonus, pissing off their parents. Malachi Constant is right - most everyone calling the show is in some kind of chaos, and bisexuals in chaos are bisexuals who are confused about their orientation, 99% of the time.

Pezman37
Sep 13, 2005

I'd rather be rich than stupid.

KrycekCrack posted:

I also remember them saying on several occasions that a lot women have at least a brief fantasy about other women, and that, that is fine. Yeah he does have a tendency to focus on the unhealthy aspects; but people wouldn't be calling if something wasn't destructive about it in their lives, or they weren't disturbed by these feelings.

They also have talked about on several occasions that women are more "sexually pliable" and more likely to swing from one sex to the other. I got the impression that unless this leads to outright sexual acts on more than one occasion that it's fine. I have heard them being accepting of someone's bi-sexuality before, even a man's they "gave their blessing" to. Most aren't calling with a well I'm bi what do you think of that Mr. Judgmental. Listen to more and you will find it. But that's not the norm, because those that call in (this is sorta the key) usually have some sorta of issue around it.

Edit: I know you aren't trolling, and I know they usually ask questions right off the bat, but it's a talk show, and if someone called and said "hey I'm bi is something wrong with me" and they said great it's fine and hung up, that wouldn't make for a super call or a show.

Pezman37 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 16, 2008

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
Drew often says that young people who claim they're bisexual can usually be placed in two categories. Either they're gay people who don't want to fully admit it, so they hold on to the bisexual idea so they can feel slightly more normal, or they're straight people who are trying to rebel against their parents.

Adam and Drew would always tell a 14 year old who claims she/he was bi that they're too young to even know what they were anyway.

I think Drew's just really wary of bisexuals, based on his experience.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster

Bender posted:

Drew often says that young people who claim they're bisexual can usually be placed in two categories. Either they're gay people who don't want to fully admit it, so they hold on to the bisexual idea so they can feel slightly more normal, or they're straight people who are trying to rebel against their parents.

Adam and Drew would always tell a 14 year old who claims she/he was bi that they're too young to even know what they were anyway.

I think Drew's just really wary of bisexuals, based on his experience.
The first view pretty much always applies to males who call themselves bisexual. And it's true most of the gals call themselves bisexual to piss off the folks. Most of the time they call in asking if they should tell their parents they're bi when they haven't even done anything with any gal. In fact they probably never will do anything major, and they'll wind up with some abusive guy as usual.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Primae noctis menage a trois.
I listen to an episode a day at work, and finally heard the episode where Adam explains he and Jimmy's experience with pot-brownies on a flight he just got off of, and about 20 minutes into the show the Culver City Police enter the studio and administer a sobriety test for Adam, who swears up and down he's not high. It's 08-08-02.

It's interesting for several reasons:

Adam doesn't berate the cop at all, instead directing all his surly aggression right at Drew, who is kinda trying to make wise-rear end comments during the tests.

Drew, after seeing Adam fail several of the tests, is concerned that Adam shouldn't drive home after the show.

Anderson is concerned with the equipment in the room where the test is taking place.

The episode is actually a pretty good one. Towards the end it includes a smoke-alarm call plus a mason-jar joke.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Grand Fromage posted:

Judging by his statements, yes. He thinks Arabs hate everyone and are incapable of being dealt with rationally, they only respond to violence. I doubt he has any idea that places like Iran were once very popular American vacation destinations. I don't know what you're trying to prove here, since his own statements adequately demonstrate a significant lack of knowledge about the Middle East.

Carolla's Loveline years don't seem to indicate that he thinks all Arabs hate the U.S. and therefore it is impossible to engage any country in the region rationally. He has had plenty of bad things to say about conservative Arabs who partake in normalized abuse (such as female circumcision) and those who dislike western influence, but he knows there are more progressive Arabs out there and he has commented on it a time or two.

I remember a call close to 9/11 where a girl was very offended that Carolla had seemingly lumped all Arabs into one big pile of anti-U.S. sentiment when telling Drew how much he disliked the qualifiers that many clerics added after their condemnation of the attacks. Carolla was pretty quick to clarify for her that this did not mean he felt all of the Middle East was a "problem" or that everyone in the region held anti-U.S. sentiments.

quote:

I don't want to drag the thread off topic, but there's not really an argument. He knows a lot more about World War 2 than the average person but that doesn't make him a Middle Eastern scholar.

I agree with you that Carolla knows little about the Middle East, but that was not the argument you framed above. There is no arguing with the fact Carolla is no scholar on the Middle East, but he acknowledges that not all Arabs fall under the same umbrella from an ideological standpoint.

He may know little about the Middle East but he has rarely spoken out against those who hold more progressive stances in that area of the world. Passing comments that generalize along the lines of "those people..." is as far as he has gotten. When prodded he has made the distinction between those who promote hateful anti-U.S. sentiment and those who do not.

If he has explicitly said otherwise on his new show then please let me know.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 17, 2008

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.

TortillaFactory posted:

Anyway, plenty of people identify as bi who really aren't. It's become a way for confused adolescent girls to feel like they "belong" somewhere while, as a bonus, pissing off their parents. Malachi Constant is right - most everyone calling the show is in some kind of chaos, and bisexuals in chaos are bisexuals who are confused about their orientation, 99% of the time.

Well as they usually say for that, they are waving bye-bye to bi and hello to homo.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster

Bumpon10s posted:

Well as they usually say for that, they are waving bye-bye to bi and hello to homo.
No, that's just the dudes, the gals pretty much get out of the bi stage in their 20's.

Dr. Who
Aug 21, 2007

by Ozma
Let's save some babies!

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.

Graham Wellington posted:

No, that's just the dudes, the gals pretty much get out of the bi stage in their 20's.

I have always noticed that as a coin toss kind of thing, of women I have known, it seems to hover around that 50% mark.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
gently caress yes Adam's going to be hosting the American version of top gear

http://jalopnik.com/5016771/top-gear-officially-coming-to-nbc

quote:

NBC’S ‘TOP GEAR’ BUCKLES UP ITS HOSTS FOR HIGH-OCTANE PILOT FROM BBC WORLDWIDE AMERICA BASED ON INTERNATIONAL HIT FRANCHISE

BURBANK - June 16, 2008 - Television and radio comedian Adam Carolla, champion rally and drift racer Tanner Foust, and TV construction guru Eric Stromer, will lead NBC’s pilot of the international smash hit series “Top Gear.” The production will begin later this week.

Produced by BBC Worldwide America, the U.S. version of the hit franchise will mirror the UK show’s irreverent humor and camaraderie between the three presenters, epic races, outrageous stunts and challenges, unique celebrity guest participation and eccentric methods of testing cars.

"This franchise is a proven winner worldwide and the hosting team of Adam, Tanner and Eric that we have brought together for the U.S. version offers a perfect match of humor, insider know-how and priceless track experience," said Craig Plestis, Executive Vice President, Alternative Programming Development and Specials, NBC Entertainment. "We are going to create a high-powered show that, like the original, will keep viewers in every demographic clutching the edge of their seats."

“These three guys will get to drive the world’s most amazing cars, go on incredible road trips and blow stuff up. It’s a dirty old job but someone has to do it…why didn’t I get the job?!” said Paul Telegdy, Executive Vice President, TV Sales and Content & Production, BBC Worldwide America.

Jeremy Clarkson, executive producer and host of the UK “Top Gear” said: “This is fantastic news - but how on earth you lot are going to do it on the wrong side of the road I’ve no idea.”

Adam Carolla:

Television and radio personality Adam Carolla is host of the daily, nationally-syndicated radio program “The Adam Carolla Show,” based out of Los Angeles’ KLSX 97.1/ FREE FM. With partners Jimmy Kimmel and Daniel Kellison, Carolla created Jackhole Industries where he produced and starred in two hit Comedy Central shows, "The Man Show" and "Crank Yankers." Carolla also co-hosted the nationally-syndicated radio program “Loveline” with Dr. Drew Pinsky for 10 years, as well as its TV version on MTV. Carolla also recently wrote and starred in the independent, award-winning feature film, “The Hammer.” In season six of “Dancing with the Stars,” Adam became the first ever contestant to complete a Paso Doble on a unicycle. Carolla is an avid car collector and owns several classic collectible Lamborghinis, Maseratis, two Ferraris and an Audi S4.

Tanner Foust:

Tanner Foust is in high-demand as a stunt driver, with film credits including “The Bourne Ultimatum,” “The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift” and “The Dukes of Hazard.” Foust is a winning competitor in rally, drift, ice racing and time attack with multiple champion podium placements including the 2007 X Games Rally Champion and 2007 Formula Drift Pro Drift Champion. His varied race experience includes open wheel competition, the Pikes Peak Hill Climb (2002 - 2004), five Ice Racing championships and the 2005 PGT Rally Championship. He also holds class lap records at numerous U.S. road courses in Time Attack. In addition, Foust also hosted “Supercars Exposed” for the SPEED channel. Foust’s car of choice is a tricked-out M3.

Eric Stromer:

Eric Stromer, host of the HGTV show "Over Your Head," started life in construction and remodeling houses after a short acting career as a soap opera hunk was abruptly ended by a Styrofoam boulder on the set of “Santa Barbara.” For 20 years he ran a successful building company before becoming the face of HGTV’s hit show. He’s a regular on Adam Carolla’s nationally-syndicated radio show giving out construction advice, and also appears on TLC’s “Clean Sweep,” NBC’s “Three Wishes” and is a special correspondent for “The Insider.” Stromer prefers his Camry hybrid.

About the Executive Producers:

The pilot of “Top Gear” will be executive produced by Tod Mesirow and Kevin Harris. Mesirow’s background includes producing credits on “Wired Science,” Discovery Channel's “Smash Lab,” “Mythbusters,” and “Monster Garage.” He also executive produced Discovery Studio's “Overhaulin'” for TLC. Harris’ credits include “The Apprentice” and “The Baby Borrowers” for NBC.

About Top Gear:

The series, which premiered in the UK in 1977, is consistently BBC TWO’s most-watched program in the UK. The UK version of “Top Gear” is broadcast globally in over 100 countries and has been airing on BBC America since 2007. The program has been the recipient of various awards including National Television Awards, BAFTAs, Broadcast Award, Royal Television Society Awards and an International Emmy Award. Top celebrity guests have included Hugh Grant, Simon Cowell, Ewan McGregor, Helen Mirren and Gordon Ramsay. In addition to the television show, the “Top Gear” brand has achieved global success. The self-titled magazine Top Gear continues to be both the best-selling car and men’s magazines in the UK. Internationally, Top Gear is the leading motoring media brand.

About BBC Worldwide America:

BBC Worldwide America (BBCWA) is part of BBC Worldwide - the main commercial arm and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). BBCWA has headquarters in New York and Los Angeles and brings together all of BBC Worldwide’s businesses in the U.S. – including cable channel BBC America and a bi-coastal production division responsible for the smash hit “Dancing with the Stars,” which returns for its 7th season this Fall.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He's been talking about that for a while. Glad they dropped Xzibit though. I have no idea who the gently caress this Tanner Foust guy is but I'm sure he's better. Stromer and Adam have good chemistry too, it should be fun.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
We've been talking about it in AI.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn
I added a wiki page for Adam's car analogies, as well as his inventions:
http://www.lovelinecentral.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Car_Analogies
http://www.lovelinecentral.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Adam%27s_Inventions

JeansW
Aug 4, 2004
Yes. Like the jeans...

Grand Fromage posted:

He's been talking about that for a while. Glad they dropped Xzibit though. I have no idea who the gently caress this Tanner Foust guy is but I'm sure he's better. Stromer and Adam have good chemistry too, it should be fun.

It says right in the article that Tanner Foust is a stunt driver / host of a show on the SPEED channel. Which means he'll be the one that they have race the cars around a test track to compare them against other vehicles (aka the Stig, if you've ever watched Top Gear).

Top Gear is an awesome show, should be interesting to see it in Carolla's hands. He loves cars and he loves to talk, but I wonder if that kind of a show can really last on NBC? Either way, I think this would be Adam's first hosting gig on a national TV network. All his other stuff has been on cable.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

JeansW posted:

It says right in the article that Tanner Foust is a stunt driver / host of a show on the SPEED channel.

Yes, I saw that, but I've never heard of him before or seen him do anything, so he's an unknown quantity despite his four-line bio. Is he funny at all or is he going to be more of a straight man?

JeansW
Aug 4, 2004
Yes. Like the jeans...

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes, I saw that, but I've never heard of him before or seen him do anything, so he's an unknown quantity despite his four-line bio. Is he funny at all or is he going to be more of a straight man?

No idea, but according to this article: http://jalopnik.com/396266/who-is-tanner-foust he's a pretty badass racer / stunt driver, but not much of a host. Hopefully he'll spend most of his time driving and occasionally discussing the various details of how the car handled and such and leave the rest of the commentary up to the pros.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Phone posted:

We've been talking about it in AI.

Ahh, alas I do not frequent AI as I know almost nothing about cars :( I'll have to head over there so I can start learning. :)

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster
So what's the earliest Carolla will make a remark about crappy American muscle cars on Top Gear? First show?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

So what's the earliest Carolla will make a remark about crappy American muscle cars on Top Gear? First show?

Most 'car guys' are able to appreciate a multitude of cars. I drive imports, but still like a good boxy piece of American steel with a rumbling V8 under the hood.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
It's been common knowledge for quite a while now that he would be one of the hosts of the American Top Gear, but I'm fairly certain I read an article a month or so ago saying they axed it. I'm pretty sure there's a thread in AI about it too, but the search function is down and I don't feel like wading through a million pages to find it (WHY WON'T YOU loving FIX THE SEARCH FUNCTION? WHY DID I PAY $10 FOR IT? gently caress.)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Nocheez posted:

Most 'car guys' are able to appreciate a multitude of cars. I drive imports, but still like a good boxy piece of American steel with a rumbling V8 under the hood.

It's a funny thing. You are spot on about "most car guys" but at heart they're/we're all snobs the closer those outliers get to our choice. Just look at Jeremy and his beloved lambos.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster

Nocheez posted:

Yes, but we're talking about Carolla here, who's voiced his opinion on the matter many times.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jesus Christ posted:

It's been common knowledge for quite a while now that he would be one of the hosts of the American Top Gear, but I'm fairly certain I read an article a month or so ago saying they axed it. I'm pretty sure there's a thread in AI about it too, but the search function is down and I don't feel like wading through a million pages to find it (WHY WON'T YOU loving FIX THE SEARCH FUNCTION? WHY DID I PAY $10 FOR IT? gently caress.)

He answered that on TACS a couple weeks ago. It wasn't at the NBC upfronts so people assumed it was canned, but it's still on. He doesn't know exactly when it'll air but sometime this fall.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Yes, but we're talking about Carolla here, who's voiced his opinion on the matter many times.

He can recognize a poo poo car, mainly because it would be a poo poo car. He doesn't rag on American cars, but he knows the difference between a good and bad car. It just so happens more times than not, American cars cannot keep up with their Japanese and European counterparts.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Phone posted:

He can recognize a poo poo car, mainly because it would be a poo poo car. He doesn't rag on American cars, but he knows the difference between a good and bad car. It just so happens more times than not, American cars cannot keep up with their Japanese and European counterparts.

Has there actually been an American car that he has spoken highly of during his years in Loveline? Carolla has made his contempt for American cars pretty clear over the years. Muscle cars from the 70s have even received their own rants.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He's more pissed off at the owners than anything; you have to think of the blowhard who does nothing but rant and rave about a Chevelle.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster

Phone posted:

He's more pissed off at the owners than anything; you have to think of the blowhard who does nothing but rant and rave about a Chevelle.
He's ranted against both several times. Not too much, probably once a year on Loveline.

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!

JeansW posted:

It says right in the article that Tanner Foust is a stunt driver / host of a show on the SPEED channel. Which means he'll be the one that they have race the cars around a test track to compare them against other vehicles (aka the Stig, if you've ever watched Top Gear).

I doubt it, Adam has been pretty adamant its going to be a 1:1 recreation of Top Gear UK so I assume they'll have a Stig.

Judakel posted:

Has there actually been an American car that he has spoken highly of during his years in Loveline? Carolla has made his contempt for American cars pretty clear over the years. Muscle cars from the 70s have even received their own rants.

GT40's if that counts.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Cars aside, does anyone know what happened to the older Loveline Central files? I really need something to sheer me up and I have never heard a show from before 2001. Unfortunately the links for the older shows are dead at Loveline Central.

SchroedingersPhat
Jun 26, 2005
No matter where you go, there you are.

Highest Cactus posted:

Actually, im pretty sure that it was an Adam-only show.

I found the origin of the "ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa" girl laugh that sounds really mean. Its Sarah Silverman on the 2002-11-05 episode. Its within the first 15 minutes or so. When you hear it from Sarah in the episode, it sounds like a more fun laugh, but the drops make it sound more mean spirited and derisive :(

Sorry to bring this back up but I thought this was Christy Canyon? Her laugh sounded like that to me but maybe they were playing the drop or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster

Highest Cactus posted:

Actually, im pretty sure that it was an Adam-only show.

I found the origin of the "ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa" girl laugh that sounds really mean. Its Sarah Silverman on the 2002-11-05 episode. Its within the first 15 minutes or so. When you hear it from Sarah in the episode, it sounds like a more fun laugh, but the drops make it sound more mean spirited and derisive :(
Just listened, it's a drop that Anderson throws in there. It's not Sarah.

• Locked thread