Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

nmfree posted:

I think this is what you're looking for.

That's it, thanks. Now for a trip to the electronics supply store around here to see if they stock 'em.

Oh, did the EchoLink net ever get off the ground?

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

Dolemite posted:

Google for "Amateur Television". Technically, you could get on a ATV repeater and transmit video that way. There's a repeater in central Florida that outputs on 427.25MHz but the input frequency is at 1280 MHz FM. So basically, you need a way to transmit on 1280 and receive on 427.25. I think transmitting could be a problem only because gigahertz transceivers can be pricey according to what I've heard. :(

There's been a group of ATV guys on 14.230 the last week or two that I keep hearing... so there's aways HF for ATV too... now I just need to figure out how to receive/decode the secret signals! :tinfoil:

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006

Dog Case posted:

I'd love to hear if anybody else has goofy identification messages on your local repeaters.

A nearby one recently switched to a recording of a little kid who can't be older than 5 reading the repeater's call sign. Another one had a fairly normal recorded ID except the word "repeater" after the call was in a booming radio voice with a bunch of reverb. One plays the Westminster Chime in DTMF tones before announcing the time on the hour.

147.27 in Auburn, NC (the Johnston Amateur Radio Society) has a local TV news anchor reading the ID that shows up periodically. He does IDs for the station and also announcements for the nightly net in that deep news anchor voice...

I kinda like it actually... all the other ones use CW ID as far as I've ever heard...

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
Welp, I got my official "welcome to Ohio" in the mail today. Crap, that reminds me, that's one more place I need to update my address...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Jose Pointero posted:

Nice radio! I didn't know those had dropped in price, they were like $350 I think last time I checked. Gonna upgrade it to D-Star? My club is going D-Star crazy at the moment and they've been trying to get me to buy one. I keep telling them that if they drop the price of the drat chip, I'll sell my IC-2100 and get the 2200H.
I didn't think I could upgrade this model to D-Star. Hmmmmmm.

elmwood
Aug 22, 2004

Your story has become tiresome.
I don't know if it's appropriate to point it out in this thread or not, but I'm getting rid of an Alinco DJG1-T 2m handheld with a sick battery. Otherwise, it works quite well.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2877532

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I didn't pickup too much stuff this year at hamcom. A new antenna for my HT (Comet BNC-24), an MFJ-550 Telegraph Key, and a 20m CW QRP transceiver kit from Vectronics. When I realized that I could have a QRP rig with a key for under $30, I had to jump on it. Fun fact about the QRP rig, it's crystal locked to 14.060 ;) I'll be building it and learning morse code real soon now. Then I'll berate all of you hams about how only people who use CW are 'real hams'™.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs

elmwood posted:

I don't know if it's appropriate to point it out in this thread or not, but I'm getting rid of an Alinco DJG1-T 2m handheld with a sick battery. Otherwise, it works quite well.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2877532

Thanks for the heads up ;)

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bladernr posted:

There's been a group of ATV guys on 14.230 the last week or two that I keep hearing... so there's aways HF for ATV too... now I just need to figure out how to receive/decode the secret signals! :tinfoil:

oooo. This sounds fun. Does anyone know what mode/protocol is used for ATV on HF? I imagine there is very little bandwidth available, but even SSTV quality or lower) at a respectable framerate would be awesome to play with.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 28, 2019

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

Jose Pointero posted:

Sooooo, I wanna learn code. Or at least start trying to. What's the easiest way to learn it? I recall someone talking about different methods a few pages back. Care to elaborate?

Sure thing. There are a couple schools of thought for learning Morse. The first, and the one I recommend against (from personal experience) is the Farnsworth method. This method gives you the characters at the speed you want to learn, but the spaces between characters are very large at first, and get smaller as you progress. The problem with this method is that with the long interval between characters, you tend to think about the dots and dashes instead of learning the overall sound of the character. So when you move from 5 to 15wpm, you have no time to think about what you heard; at that speed, the response has to be instinctive.

Enter the Koch method. Koch has you learn Morse at both full character speed AND full word speed, the catch being that you start with only two letters. So a program will put out "M" and "K" at 20wpm for a few minutes and you just keep copying between them until you have instinctively learned the sound of each character. Once your copy accuracy on two letters is 95% or so, you add a new character, and so on. The fact that you are forced to learn the character sound instead of the dot/dash content is why Koch works so well. Almost everyone agrees that Koch is the superior method to learn, but back in the pre-computer days, technical limitations made it very hard to practice that method (the Koch theory itself dates back to around WWII, I think).

Whew, wall of text.

edit: as for trainers, I recommend the free Koch trainer by G4FON, where I stole a lot of the info in the above paragraphs from.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

Hu Fa Ted posted:

Your shack is far too neat for my tastes.

Pictured is a (left to right) TS-440S/AT (above is an old TNC, a Pakratt PK-232MBX that I use for RTTY and VHF packet occasionally), a Heathkit SB-200 (on top of the SB-200 is a Yaesu FT-817ND) and a Bencher paddle on loan.

The 817 is such an awesome radio... it's just perfect for any sort of portable excursion. Practically the closest you can ever come to having an all-mode HT.

quote:

Mobile I run a Icom 706MKIIG into a High Sierra Sidekick.

I definitely need to pick your brain on this one. I bought a Sidekick some time ago as it was the best compromise for operating a single continuous-tuning HF antenna in my apartment... but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to properly connect (read: minimally gently caress up) the antenna motor leads to the radio. In my case I bought the RF Control external auto tuning package so that I could use the 7000's tune button to automatically tune the Sidekick to the right place without manual adjustment.

I thought the Sidekick manual would come with installation tips, but sadly the documentation was only basic stuff about the antenna, even though I bought the install package from them. Anyway, I would love to see more pics of your mobile setup, specifically how you rigged the motor leads to your control box / radio.

In other news, OP updated with (I think) all the new hams that have posted in here from page 8 onward. Added Dolemite's freshly-minted callsign to the list, too!

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006

blugu64 posted:

I didn't pickup too much stuff this year at hamcom. A new antenna for my HT (Comet BNC-24), an MFJ-550 Telegraph Key, and a 20m CW QRP transceiver kit from Vectronics. When I realized that I could have a QRP rig with a key for under $30, I had to jump on it. Fun fact about the QRP rig, it's crystal locked to 14.060 ;) I'll be building it and learning morse code real soon now. Then I'll berate all of you hams about how only people who use CW are 'real hams'™.

Good luck with that during the bottom of the solar cycle... :hurr:

Seriously though... enjoy that. My CW skills have become almost non-existant. I can still usually decipher local repeater IDs, but no way I could do a QSO at this point. I'm going to have to find time and just relearn it from scratch, I think.

I have a Pixie II crystalled for 75m that pumps out the awe inspiring sum of 250mW. I have some friends who design and build stuff like this and use them to work Europe and other DX on Field days...

There's just something funny about a tiny QRP CW rig in an Altoids tin plugged into a 20 monoband yagi that's pearched atop a 100 foot tower... heh...

If you are really into the QRP and especially the QRPp stuff, check out the The Knightlites. It's a qrp club here in NC that I am loosely affiliated with (though I haven't been to a meeting in ages) and the members are from all over the world.

There's also NJQRP as well that is pretty well known too.

Now that we're on the upward side of the next cycle (or at least finally rock bottom between the two) I'll probably have to start pulling down my QRP stuff and dusting it off and relearning CW.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

McRib Sandwich posted:

edit: as for trainers, I recommend the free Koch trainer by G4FON, where I stole a lot of the info in the above paragraphs from.

Thanks for the link! I've been telling myself that I can't get a HF rig until I upgrade my license, but I think I'm going to add "Learn CW" to my checklist.

This seems to work in Wine for any Linux geeks in here. Only problems I've come across is that the QRM function doesn't work, and sometimes when you hit start you get blasted at a million WPM for about 10 characters before it drops back to normal speed.

Also what the hell is this "Hihi" thing. I understand it's the radio equivalent of "J/K", but where did it come from/what does it mean?

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

McRib Sandwich posted:

I definitely need to pick your brain on this one. I bought a Sidekick some time ago as it was the best compromise for operating a single continuous-tuning HF antenna in my apartment... but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to properly connect (read: minimally gently caress up) the antenna motor leads to the radio. In my case I bought the RF Control external auto tuning package so that I could use the 7000's tune button to automatically tune the Sidekick to the right place without manual adjustment.

I thought the Sidekick manual would come with installation tips, but sadly the documentation was only basic stuff about the antenna, even though I bought the install package from them. Anyway, I would love to see more pics of your mobile setup, specifically how you rigged the motor leads to your control box / radio.

I didn't go for the "auto tune" box. Mostly because it doesn't auto tune poo poo! All it does is automatically put a low power carrier out. You still have to stare at the drat SWR meter and rock the buttons. I am going to throw together something with my Arduino to do automatic tuning. It's too dark out to take pics of the mount, but it's a standard trunk lid lip mount. Not terribly stable either.

For a semi permanent / non-mobile installation realize you're going to need a set of ground radials for it. It's not a terribly efficient antenna *with* ground radials / good ground plane but it does work. I wasn't terribly interested in a 15' whip on a tuner that seems to be the alternative for mobile HF.

If you still want pics, I can post 'em or have any specific questions I can try and answer them. Also, the guys at High Sierra are pretty helpful. (They better be for a $600 antenna.)

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

McRib Sandwich posted:

stuff about the Koch method

Excellent info, but just be warned the Koch method isn't for everybody. For some reason or another I just could not get into it. It really frustrated the crap out of me. I can copy about 18WPM so long as you don't send prosigns, numbers or punctuation. :hurr: Seriously though, I am boning back up on CW so I can get the dust out of this Bencher.

I'll throw another shout for NuMorse Pro. I spent forever looking at all the free stuff and I hated it, basically I wanted Mavis Beacon Teaches Morse Code and I think it compares favorably. I really like it and the guy that wrote it is super nice, he's sent me replacement keys like 3 times over the course of 4 years.

Dog Case posted:

Also what the hell is this "Hihi" thing. I understand it's the radio equivalent of "J/K", but where did it come from/what does it mean?

HIHI sort'a kind'a sounds like laughing when sent as CW. Another fun word is Tennessee.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, my Slinky-Dipole antenna arrived, but I am still waiting on the ICOM IC-701, IC-RM2 and the desk mic. In the meantime I hung it in the best place I really have, suspended at the top-center of a big window with some nylon cord, and stretched out the 2 slinky ends in Inverted-V configuration to the corners of the window and secured them there. I wonder how well this will work?

I've heard good reports using slinky-antennas with SWL, so I think this should do OK? The rest of the building is cement or cinderblock which IIRC is very bad for radio signals to pass through, so the window is probably my best bet.

For transmission I've been told an antenna tuner is crucial-- is that so? It seems I can adjust the antenna 'length' by changing how far I stretch the slinkys. I could run them horizontally and attach them to the hooks my curtains use so I could easily slide them in small increments. Or is that still not enough and I need a real tuner?

In that case what sort should I get? I've seen them go for $140 and that's almost what my radio/control unit/mike cost. I'd prefer something cheap, really. I think I've heard of people tuning with just an adjustable capacitor. Workable?

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

Hu Fa Ted posted:

I didn't go for the "auto tune" box. Mostly because it doesn't auto tune poo poo! All it does is automatically put a low power carrier out. You still have to stare at the drat SWR meter and rock the buttons. I am going to throw together something with my Arduino to do automatic tuning. It's too dark out to take pics of the mount, but it's a standard trunk lid lip mount. Not terribly stable either.

I should clarify my last statement a bit. I bought the sidekick, plus the 7000 Tune Control and the 7000 Screwdriver Control from the Better RF company. That combination of devices actually *does* allow you to tune screwdrivers just by pushing the tune button. You're 100% right that High Sierra's box actually doesn't do poo poo, though.

quote:

For a semi permanent / non-mobile installation realize you're going to need a set of ground radials for it. It's not a terribly efficient antenna *with* ground radials / good ground plane but it does work. I wasn't terribly interested in a 15' whip on a tuner that seems to be the alternative for mobile HF.

If you still want pics, I can post 'em or have any specific questions I can try and answer them. Also, the guys at High Sierra are pretty helpful. (They better be for a $600 antenna.)

:sigh: I was hoping I could get away without the radials, since this antenna is inside my apartment. The idea was that when I get a car (more like if, given gas prices), I could convert to mobile with the same antenna.

Anyway, I bought this package, but the problem I'm having is that I can't figure how to best connect the bare wires in the "high sierra special coax" to the plug style that is installed on the antenna. As you can see from the pictures of the package, it did come with a pigtail with a ferrite bead that ends in bare wire, but just soldering bare wires together on a high-strain line like that integrated coax sounds like a horrible idea. It also came with a four small red tubes, about the size of the wires themselves, and I'm wondering if that has something to do with hooking them up. If I can snap a picture of one, I'll throw it up here.

Did you end up buying the same package for mobile installation? Mostly what I could use is advice on how to not craptastically connect the motor leads to the other end, so pictures of that part of your setup would be great. I googled around for pictures of other Sidekick setups, but no one shows how they ran the wires to the antenna motor. Hell, I have half a mind to throw some powerpoles on that bitch and call it a day, but I think the wires are too small to crimp.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

McRib Sandwich posted:

I should clarify my last statement a bit. I bought the sidekick, plus the 7000 Tune Control and the 7000 Screwdriver Control from the Better RF company. That combination of devices actually *does* allow you to tune screwdrivers just by pushing the tune button. You're 100% right that High Sierra's box actually doesn't do poo poo, though.

:sigh: I was hoping I could get away without the radials, since this antenna is inside my apartment. The idea was that when I get a car (more like if, given gas prices), I could convert to mobile with the same antenna.

Anyway, I bought this package, but the problem I'm having is that I can't figure how to best connect the bare wires in the "high sierra special coax" to the plug style that is installed on the antenna. As you can see from the pictures of the package, it did come with a pigtail with a ferrite bead that ends in bare wire, but just soldering bare wires together on a high-strain line like that integrated coax sounds like a horrible idea. It also came with a four small red tubes, about the size of the wires themselves, and I'm wondering if that has something to do with hooking them up. If I can snap a picture of one, I'll throw it up here.

Did you end up buying the same package for mobile installation? Mostly what I could use is advice on how to not craptastically connect the motor leads to the other end, so pictures of that part of your setup would be great. I googled around for pictures of other Sidekick setups, but no one shows how they ran the wires to the antenna motor. Hell, I have half a mind to throw some powerpoles on that bitch and call it a day, but I think the wires are too small to crimp.

drat. You found the gizmo I was looking for and of course it doesn't look like it works with a 706. Do you know how hard it is to tune that antenna at 60mph?! :colbert:

You can run it without radials. It will present a good SWR to your rig. However, you will get gently caress all out. The problem here is that these screwdriver antennas are basically vertical whips acting like a dipole. Without the ground image, you are literally going to get less than half efficiency. In the apt though, in lovely band conditions every contact will be a savory victory. :)

Ok, well this is interesting. See the kit I got, didn't come with bare pigtails. It came with the plug on the Side Kick to drive the motor. The plug on the Side Kick is actually sort of standard. I would recommend against powerpoles only because they suck at weather resistance. My recommendation would be to seriously go to your local Autozone or Pepboys or whatever and find that plug. They use them on those little solar panels to trickle charge batteries. Those red tubes may be heat shrink tubing. Use a Western Union splice and a hot iron and solder that bitch up. If you want, send me an email at tinnitusrigormortis@gmail.com or send me a PM and we can get together.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Epicenter posted:

So, my Slinky-Dipole antenna arrived, but I am still waiting on the ICOM IC-701, IC-RM2 and the desk mic. In the meantime I hung it in the best place I really have, suspended at the top-center of a big window with some nylon cord, and stretched out the 2 slinky ends in Inverted-V configuration to the corners of the window and secured them there. I wonder how well this will work?

I've heard good reports using slinky-antennas with SWL, so I think this should do OK? The rest of the building is cement or cinderblock which IIRC is very bad for radio signals to pass through, so the window is probably my best bet.

For transmission I've been told an antenna tuner is crucial-- is that so? It seems I can adjust the antenna 'length' by changing how far I stretch the slinkys. I could run them horizontally and attach them to the hooks my curtains use so I could easily slide them in small increments. Or is that still not enough and I need a real tuner?

In that case what sort should I get? I've seen them go for $140 and that's almost what my radio/control unit/mike cost. I'd prefer something cheap, really. I think I've heard of people tuning with just an adjustable capacitor. Workable?

Well here's the deal. The subject of tuners is (next to dropping morse code) one of the most hotly contested topics in ham radio.

That being said. If your rig is happy with its load a tuner doesn't do poo poo. IF and only if, your fancy schmancy solid state rig won't put out max power on your cheeseball bedframe you hooked it up to, a tuner is where it's at. However, not all tuners are created equal. Some tuners especially the MFJ variety tend to release magic smoke when tuning your bedframe. Some, like an old Johnson Matchbox that are copies of better tuners, will hum along with a solid key down at 1500W.

If you can change the resonance of the slinky by altering its length and you are happy with that arrangement, by all means, stop there. However, if this gets to quickly be a pain in the rear end (and it will) get a tuner.

All of this though is irrelevant if your antenna isn't efficient. An antenna can be efficient with a high VSWR, cf. rhombics. A rhombic is one of the most desirable (next to a beam or log periodic at 1/4 wave length high or better) and is most efficient when it is non-resonant i.e. terminated requiring the use of a tuner.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If not a slinky antenna what is the best choice for indoor use on a small budget? The windows are all I have to work with and I cannot mount anything outside in any way. In the future perhaps (at my next residence) but not here.

Also, any recommendations for a cheap-ish tuner doing 100W or lower? This is sort of an entry level setup so I am not expecting wonders. Not doing 1.5kW either ;)

Thanks!

Epicenter fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 18, 2008

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 28, 2019

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Epicenter posted:

If not a slinky antenna what is the best choice for indoor use on a small budget? The windows are all I have to work with and I cannot mount anything outside in any way. In the future perhaps (at my next residence) but not here.

Also, any recommendations for a cheap-ish tuner doing 100W or lower? This is sort of an entry level setup so I am not expecting wonders. Not doing 1.5kW either ;)

Thanks!

Wait I'm confused, are you just going to receive or are going to get a license to transmit. If you're just receiving then an antenna tuner won't do jack for you. If you're going to be transmitting then get a tuner and a license, or just jump on CB.

As for cheapish tuners I've been oogling the LDG Z-100. Though I'd like some opinions on it too ;)

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't have a license yet but I intend to get one when I return to the US-- since it seems I can't get one here in Japan :( So when I do I'll need a tuner, I figure.

As for CB-- I know I can use it unlicensed, within certain power constraints, but I don't think I can modify my IC-701 to do CB :( It's made for HF. You can expand the bands a little, but not too much. A doc I found said this:

quote:

Grounding pin 14 on the rear panel accessory connector will extend the frequency ranges to:

Band - Extended coverage - Factory coverage
----------------------------------------------
160m - 1.0 - 3.0 MHz - 1.8 - 2.0 MHz

80m - 3.0 - 5.0 MHz - 3.5 - 4.0 MHz

40m - 7.0 - 9.0 MHz - 7.0 - 7.5 MHz
7.3 - 7.5 MHz Receive Only

20m - 14.0 - 16.0 MHz - 14.0 - 15.2 MHz
14.35 - 15.2 MHz Receive Only

15m - 21.0 - 22.0 MHz - 21.0 - 21.5 MHz

10m - 28.0 - 30.0 MHz - 28.0 - 30.0 MHz
29.7 - 30.0 MHz Receive Only

Just barely won't cover 27 MHz :( The IC-RM2 allows direct frequency entry, but I don't think I can program settings outside the defined ranges. Without some hacking anyway.

Epicenter fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 18, 2008

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Jose Pointero posted:

Damnit, I need to do the application for my plate...y'all are making me jealous. I'm kinda afraid too though, because isn't having a radio operator plate the equivalent of having a sign that says "HEY THIEVES CHECK DIS CAR FOR LOTS OF EXPENSIVE RADIO poo poo"? I should just go ahead and get a drat alarm installed.
Eh, I figured the antenna on my car would probably give it away anyway. I keep it in the garage at night, and the mobile rig has a detachable faceplate, so why not?

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My IC-701 arrived! :D I'm picking up lots of static, some garbled voices and faint RTTY/CW. I'll need to play with my antenna placement (a lot) I think. But at least everything works; even the IC-RM2.

EDIT: I hear lots of conversations in Japanese. But there's this loud horrible squeal covering almost every one of them that is strong enough to make out-- and it sounds like the same loud squeal on each one. Some kind of jamming? :(

EDIT 2: I also just heard a burst of distorted, traditional chinese-sounding music over the Japanese voices. I've heard of that jamming signal, actually.

Epicenter fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 18, 2008

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Epicenter posted:

My IC-701 arrived! :D I'm picking up lots of static, some garbled voices and faint RTTY/CW. I'll need to play with my antenna placement (a lot) I think. But at least everything works; even the IC-RM2.

EDIT: I hear lots of conversations in Japanese. But there's this loud horrible squeal covering almost every one of them that is strong enough to make out-- and it sounds like the same loud squeal on each one. Some kind of jamming? :(

EDIT 2: I also just heard a burst of distorted, traditional chinese-sounding music over the Japanese voices. I've heard of that jamming signal, actually.

You have RFI somewhere in or near your shack. I can't think off the top of my head what it is, start turning stuff off and see if it goes away. Watch the MUF graphs to cross Japan and the West Coast of CONUS and choose a band below it.

http://www.spacew.com/www/realtime.php

Don't use your ham radio for CB, especially in Japan. They have different CB allocations and I have no idea if Uncle Charlie over there is more or less stringent than the FCC here.

If you're on base see if there are any VE's over there. Watch for old Radioman Chiefs (I guess they're IT's now) or your nearest service equivalent and ask them if they know any hams. (Or go to the MARS station.) You should be able to get tested and get your license with an FPO/APO and then you can go to Japan's Ministry of Telecom (or whatever the hell it is) and apply for a foreign license with your newly granted General.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Epicenter posted:

That's Firedragon/Firedrake, and it's the bane of my loving SWL life, being in Taiwan.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The mess of Japanese voices, dual, loud regularly-distant squealing tones (like RTTY but no recognizable pattern and closer together frequency-wise) and japanese/chinese music is around 7,189,900 hz.

Here's some recordings. Maybe someone can tell me what the crazy loud data mode I'm hearing is? It sounds like data, anyway. I would agree it's RF but it's such a regular tone.

And I swear that is an OPERA SINGER in there covering up whatever should be audible.. along with the horrible screeching tone.

http://www.epicgaming.us/forumjunk/radio/

ick pik
Oct 4, 2007
Blood, blood, money, money, drink, drink, drink!

ick pik fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 6, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

ick pik posted:

KC9FBI checking in here.

Is that a vanity callsign or luck of the draw?

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I replaced the Slinky Antenna with a (Shielded!) coax TV cable and the reception is ten times better. If I spoke Japanese I could make out over a dozen different signals I'm receiving which all sound like broadcasts.

But.. I don't know why it sounds so much better. Especially since this is a shielded loving cable and no signal should be getting into the core of it. The horrible squealing is still on most stations, even with everything nearby I could turn off, off.

I hear LOTS of signals like this all over the bands that sound like a data mode, but I don't recognize it and none of the modes in MixW seem to match it either. Could someone be so kind as to give it a listen and point me in the right direction?
http://www.epicgaming.us/forumjunk/radio/signal.ogg

Epicenter fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 18, 2008

Thunderbird_Wine
Aug 6, 2007

Epicenter posted:

The 701 is a nice rig for it's age, just be very, very careful with the rotary VFO on that radio. It likes to break if you so much as look at it the wrong way. I almost bought one but a Ham friend talked me out of it because of this problem. Wouldn't hurt to keep a spare one around

Of course, if it's already been replaced (which is very likely) then you're golden

I'd guess that the coax jack in the wall is providing a better RF ground and is allowing you to pick up signals better than the slinky antenna that you're using.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

Epicenter posted:

oooo. On a hunch, I hooked up the antenna jack to the TV-style coax jack on the wall. I wasn't sure if it went to a cable box or the huge TV antenna. Turns out it's the antenna-- and probably an amplifier boosting the signal. I'm hearing LOTS of stuff in Japanese now.

The only downside is if I accidentally hit "Transmit", I think I'd destroy a lot of people's TVs. I taped over that part of the switch to be on the safe side but I should find something more foolproof, methinks.

EDIT: Upon further investigation unplugging the line from the wall jack had no effect-- so the cable itself is somehow acting as an antenna. I'm not 100% sure how since the shielding should block any signals. That a TV coax line sounds better than the slinky-antenna is worrying.

A few pictures of your setup, if possible, would probably help us give you some pointers on setting up your rig / antennas.

Also, NEVER, EVER transmit without being hooked up to an antenna that you're sure is appropriate for the band you're tuned to (or worse, transmitting without any antenna at all). Doing this will reflect power from your finals right back into them. If they're tubes, your tubes will get fried and need to be replaced. If they're transistors, well, just hope that they still make new ones of the type, or consider your radio TX bricked. Newer radios will try to dial back the power before you blow up your rig, but older radios have no such safeguard.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've read the IC-701's band switch is what goes bad most often. It's in EXT all the time right now, since I have the external controller setting the frequency. I figure this will help keep it alive and ticking, and if it dies I can just hardwire it to EXT. :) That's the plan anyway.

The coax line isn't hooked up to the wall anymore but I am getting better reception, still. (WTF) I wonder what these strange (data?) modes I hear are though, I can't make any sense of them.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is the area I have to work with. Limiting, I know. I added some info to try and explain how things are set up. Forgive the MSpaint-ery.

EDIT:

Epicenter fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 19, 2008

ick pik
Oct 4, 2007
Blood, blood, money, money, drink, drink, drink!

ick pik fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 6, 2014

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

ick pik posted:

Luck of the draw. Everyone in my class had similar callsigns and I just turned my test in at the right time I guess.

True story, the guy in line next to me got the suffix OMG by luck of the draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, all I can seem to pick up is Japanese radio broadcasts (when I'm lucky), a lot of noise, horrible squealing all over the bands, and a data mode I can't identify. I think I need a better antenna if I'm going to be able to use this thing indoors. Does anyone have recommendations? The slinky works like absolute poo poo. I wish I hadn't spent $40 on it. A piece of wire works BETTER but even that gets me jack for signal. :(

Thanks.