Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Maybe he meant "Yes, indirectly". He killed Roy with the ring, Miko by driving her insane, and while he didn't TECHNICALLY kill the horse, he did indirectly cause it to join the Choir Invisible. That leaves just the Oracle and V to get offed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Mylan posted:

Rich has been pretty good about attention to detail and callbacks before. Besides, the Oracle clearly understands the intent behind the questions, or he wouldn't have prodded Roy to rephrase his. Belkar clearly meant "Am I going to kill one of these people." If it turns out giving Roy the ring counts, that's a weak cop out. Ditto for antagonizing Miko to the point where she goes off and puts herself in a position that leads to her death.

On the other hand, Roy misunderstanding his question led to some seriously huge problems, whereas I get the feeling the Oracle would be deeply amused by Belkar misunderstanding his question.

"Ha ha, yeah. 'Responsible'. Yeah you'll be responsible for all of them! :v: :v: :v:"

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

PepRally posted:

I'm sure the oracle would see that coming.

But if he saw that Belkar was going to kill him, would he be able to stop Belkar from killing him? :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

New strip

Man, I love Belkar.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

New strip

Man, I love Belkar.

I dunno, Roy gets about six :h:s for that series of yo mama jokes.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Well, that answers that question:

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Oh Belkar, you so stabbity.

Rich really takes a lot of liberties with Belkar's 1d3+ Str, doesn't he? Even with an enchanted dagger, Belkar does a LOT of damage.

Let's see... Crit x 2... + 3 Str... + 3 enchantment... Even then, that's like 12 damage, tops, right? Maybe 14-16 if kobold is a favoured enemy.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Critical multiplier doubles the damage from flat bonuses such as STR and enhancements. And we already know the kobold isn't a high level cleric anyways, so whatever works, I suppose. Guess the guy knew that Belkar was going to kill him, and like any prophecy, attempting to avoid it only made it come true. Still, I can't help but think that Belkar has been a hindrance to this group more often than an asset.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

NutShellBill posted:

Oh Belkar, you so stabbity.

Rich really takes a lot of liberties with Belkar's 1d3+ Str, doesn't he? Even with an enchanted dagger, Belkar does a LOT of damage.

Let's see... Crit x 2... + 3 Str... + 3 enchantment... Even then, that's like 12 damage, tops, right? Maybe 14-16 if kobold is a favoured enemy.

Flat footed.

Sneak attack.

All you need to know.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Belkar is a Ranger/Barbarian... where is he getting sneak attack from?

Anyways, this is one of those "don't think too hard about it things".

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It's also entirely possible that the Oracle is a level 1 commoner who happens to have a nifty Deux Ex Machina ability, seeing as it's established he's not a cleric of any measure.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

LightWarden posted:

Belkar is a Ranger/Barbarian... where is he getting sneak attack from?

Anyways, this is one of those "don't think too hard about it things".

...Shut up. I forgot that he was originally a ranger, and Haley was the rogue.

Uh.. Maybe Belkar picked up a rogue level while they were helping the resistance. Or perhaps he was technically raging when he stabbed the oracle. Or maybe he took a feat that gives him a wannabe sneak attack.

Or maybe I suck at remembering things and he just killed a level 1 commoner and something.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
They might be playing fast and loose with the coup de grace rules. Perhaps considering flat-footed to mean helpless.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Vicissitude posted:

They might be playing fast and loose with the coup de grace rules. Perhaps considering flat-footed to mean helpless.

I did that sort of thing all the time. I'd just have decreed that he'd stabbed the guy in the heart and the wound was fatal, sod whatever the rules say.

(Plus Burlew doesn't exactly follow the rules strictly anyway).

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Sefer posted:

Well, that answers that question:

I am now 100% convinced that Rich reads this thread.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Geshtal posted:

I am now 100% convinced that Rich reads this thread.

I'm pretty sure most of the stuff we post here gets posted over and over again in his official forums which he definitely does read and has admitted are a source of infinite frustration for him.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Optional rule for instant kill maybe? That one with the whole if you roll 3 crits in a row it's an instant kill thing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Why is any of this more likely than the notion that he had roughly four hit points?

A.) He's coasted to all this on an ability he never had to train or earn, so there's no motivation to gain levels.
B.) He doesn't need any actual skills or class abilities for this beyond Profession to pull this kind of thing off.
C.) Kobolds have a Constitution Penalty.

Between his in with the Big Bad Kobold God or whomever, and insane oracle money, he could lease out actual competent spellcasters to produce all the other effects and beasties he might need to put his business in it's current state.

He's probably an Expert, or a Wizard with maybe one or two levels at best.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
Guys, clearly Belkar was using a 4th Edition power when he stabbed the oracle.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Cog05 posted:

Guys, clearly Belkar was using a 4th Edition power when he stabbed the oracle.

No, he's used that power for years now.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

evilsake posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the stuff we post here gets posted over and over again in his official forums which he definitely does read and has admitted are a source of infinite frustration for him.

Have you read his forums? I used to browse them before I discovered the OotS thread here. It's 10% discussion and 90% OMG LOL that was the best comic ever! Elan is SOOOOOOO cute!! :suicide:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mylan posted:

Have you read his forums? I used to browse them before I discovered the OotS thread here. It's 10% discussion and 90% OMG LOL that was the best comic ever! Elan is SOOOOOOO cute!! :suicide:

I tried to browse them and quit for this exact reason. Several months later I found this thread and THANK YOU Something Awful for once again proving that you're the best forum on the internet.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Mylan posted:

I used to pop in pretty regularly when Haley's speech was messed up to see what she was saying or if there was a dnd joke I didn't understand. It wasn't bad as far as webcomic forums go but yeah, the cheerleading is pretty annoying.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Christ, he's pumping them out fast lately:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That is the best name for a village ever.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ahahaha oh that's just beautiful!

You know, if the kobold oracle had enough foreknowledge to prepare for this sort of thing, I'd think he'd have prepared enough to have a cleric on hand to raise him after Belkar kills him.

He did seem pretty calm as he died. :)

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Somehow, I feel as though this applies.

:master:

Well played, Kobold oracle, well played.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

I'm really curious how he got all the kobolds to build a village there, especially with that name. Did he bribe them, or just use his Oracular powers to insist it was a good idea?

I'm probably way overthinking this.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Wow, now that I did not see coming. Haley's in a real bind now. No answers from the Oracle to help reunite the party or speed Roy's ressurection along, and Belkar won't be much of a help in a fight anymore either.

Way too early to tell, but I wonder if the activated curse will remain long enough to actually teach Belkar a lesson? Not in an alignment shift kinda way, just that he needs to be a little smarter about being a dick?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
What does the curse do exactly?

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

Apocron posted:

Mark of Justice reference. "He'll get sicker and sicker until he'll be incapable of hurting anyone."

Man, Belkar's had that curse on him for almost half the entire run of the comic so far. I didn't realize the Azure City plotline started that long ago.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

ZorbaTHut posted:

Mark of Justice reference. "He'll get sicker and sicker until he'll be incapable of hurting anyone."

I guess from that description that the curse is a slow progressive penalty to THAC0 and damage.

Remind someone who hasn't played since 2E - successive castings of curses don't usually have a cumulative effect, right? So Belkar is now free to do what he likes until the curse really starts kicking in?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

I guess from that description that the curse is a slow progressive penalty to THAC0 and damage.

Remind someone who hasn't played since 2E - successive castings of curses don't usually have a cumulative effect, right? So Belkar is now free to do what he likes until the curse really starts kicking in?

A DM can pretty much free form that poo poo (which would be funny because Belkar would try to rules lawyer it). And Thac0 is old, dead and dumb. :colbert: Just a to hit penalty now.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Wow, that really is the best name for a village ever.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Wait, shouldn't the mark of justice have gone off when he killed that merchant?

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

terminal mehmet posted:

Wait, shouldn't the mark of justice have gone off when he killed that merchant?

It has to be in a populated area, I think it was "within one mile of a city, town, etc."

It's actually kind of nice to Belkar get some comeuppance. I hope it lasts until Mr. Scruffy can overpower him.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Apocron posted:

Anything the DM wants it to do, but ability damage is pretty much the most common. Belkar will probably just slowly waste away.

And it probably hurts like a bitch, too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/markOfJustice.htm

It works like bestow curse.

Also, Haley should just go ahead and kill him now. He's been nothing but trouble.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

greatn posted:

Looking at the way it can be removed, couldn't someone who could raise Roy potentially get rid of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

greatn posted:

Also, Haley should just go ahead and kill him now. He's been nothing but trouble.

But Belkar has had the most badass scene of the comic thus far (site's down, or I'd link to him killing like a hundred hobgoblins in one comic)