Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

LooseChanj posted:

I think where Vetinari is concerned, *everyone* is protoge material. But my main logic here is that Vimes would be so reluctant a politician he'd actually be pretty good at it. Sort of the inverse of Douglas Adams "anyone who wants power shouldn't be allowed to have it". Plus he's the kind of bastard who won't be able to retire and will end up working till the day he dies.

I have a somewhat different take. I think he'd get too frustrated with the pragmatic, back-stabbing reality of being leader of the city. Vimes and von Lipwig both have their parts to play, but they need to be in the right role. Vimes is ideally positioned, and I think he'd be happier, and more effective, in his current role, than as Patrician.

von Lipwig's ability to pull the wool over peoples eyes, and to influence them so artfully that even when they know they are being played they often don't mind, seems ever more valuable in the increasingly 'open' (in terms of publicity, information exchange, and so forth) society in the city. If Vimes were Patrician, can you imagine the continual poo poo-storms there would be between him and, for example, the free press? :)

Edit: I'm not saying he would be a *bad* leader, as such - he'd be a principled leader, a strong, consistent one, but right here and now (if you will) he is not the right man for the job - he isn't a *politician*, and the fact is the city does need a good politician (in addition to other qualities) in charge. von Lipwig is the better fit.

magimix fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 9, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

magimix posted:

If Vimes were Patrician, can you imagine the continual poo poo-storms there would be between him and, for example, the free press? :)

Yes, and they're only a further confirmation that he's the right man for the job, at least in terms of us readers. :roflolmao:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

LooseChanj posted:

Yes, and they're only a further confirmation that he's the right man for the job, at least in terms of us readers. :roflolmao:

Oh, I totally agree it would make for excellent reading ;) But as you know, my edit was written as if we were two members of, say, the Assassin's guild, discussing the future governance of the city, over Port and Cigars :cheers: :clint:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

magimix posted:

But as you know, my edit was written as if we were two members of, say, the Assassin's guild, discussing the future governance of the city, over Port and Cigars :cheers: :clint:

Yes, what works when you're on the inside is so rarely what amuses those on the outside.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Capn_Marrrrk posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Lancre is based on the region (and it's size) where Pterry grew up, but with more cliffs.

Lancre is Lancashire. Or at least I always assumed it was. Pratchett was born and raised in Buckinghamshire though, so I guess it might not be. I think the witches are something very very english and it's hard for readers from other countries to relate to them. I was brought up in a rural town in Derbyshire and every single archetype from the novels is there. It's like reading your childhood, but with magic.
I've also been floored by the revelation that Llamedos is Sod em all backwards. It just seemed so authentically welsh that I never even thought about it.

Although I can't really think of people to play most of the discworld characters I can say without a doubt that I wouldn't want any Americans doing it. It's just not right.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

magimix posted:

I have a somewhat different take. I think he'd get too frustrated with the pragmatic, back-stabbing reality of being leader of the city. Vimes and von Lipwig both have their parts to play, but they need to be in the right role. Vimes is ideally positioned, and I think he'd be happier, and more effective, in his current role, than as Patrician.

von Lipwig's ability to pull the wool over peoples eyes, and to influence them so artfully that even when they know they are being played they often don't mind, seems ever more valuable in the increasingly 'open' (in terms of publicity, information exchange, and so forth) society in the city. If Vimes were Patrician, can you imagine the continual poo poo-storms there would be between him and, for example, the free press? :)

Edit: I'm not saying he would be a *bad* leader, as such - he'd be a principled leader, a strong, consistent one, but right here and now (if you will) he is not the right man for the job - he isn't a *politician*, and the fact is the city does need a good politician (in addition to other qualities) in charge. von Lipwig is the better fit.

The only problem with Moist is his pathological need for adrenaline. Not that him accidentally conning A-M into starting the first Disc World War or its equivalent at a Patrician danger level doesn't present some interesting storyline possibilities. Vimes would resign in disgust to track down who actually shot Archduke Franz Ferdinand, arrest the culprit, and browbeat each country's government into a peace treaty before he'd let any of the action get rolling.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Vimes would resign in disgust to track down who actually shot Archduke Franz Ferdinand, arrest the culprit, and browbeat each country's government into a peace treaty before he'd let any of the action get rolling.

Like... Jingo?

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

The_Doctor posted:

Like... Jingo?

Um, yeah. Yeah, but with more explosions or something. After Vimes finishes, everyone nervously looks around and finds something peaceful to do somewhere else. After Moist finishes, something big is smoldering wreck and society has to radically reorder itself around a new con that has improbably come true.

Jingo, Small Gods, Thud!, Monstrous Regiment... He might have touched on this theme before.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Taear posted:

Lancre is Lancashire. Or at least I always assumed it was. Pratchett was born and raised in Buckinghamshire though, so I guess it might not be. I think the witches are something very very english and it's hard for readers from other countries to relate to them. I was brought up in a rural town in Derbyshire and every single archetype from the novels is there. It's like reading your childhood, but with magic.
I've also been floored by the revelation that Llamedos is Sod em all backwards. It just seemed so authentically welsh that I never even thought about it.

Although I can't really think of people to play most of the discworld characters I can say without a doubt that I wouldn't want any Americans doing it. It's just not right.

I'd argue that. Growing up in rural midwestern America, I relate to the witches just fine. Small town life isn't that different here, after all. :v:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd argue that. Growing up in rural midwestern America, I relate to the witches just fine. Small town life isn't that different here, after all. :v:

I think this is mostly true with perhaps one exception: you don't really understand the crucial and central importance of tea, and why putting the kettle on is the correct response to any crisis.

shadok fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 18, 2008

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
How long does it usually take for a new discworld to show up in mass market paperback?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

LooseChanj posted:

How long does it usually take for a new discworld to show up in mass market paperback?

Typically about nine months.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

shadok posted:

Typically about nine months.

How long ago did Making Money come out? I don't really plan on buying the hardcover, but I'm up to Night Watch and I'm nearly caught up on discworld.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

LooseChanj posted:

How long ago did Making Money come out? I don't really plan on buying the hardcover, but I'm up to Night Watch and I'm nearly caught up on discworld.

September/October last year. The paperback just came out.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I wonder, has there been any word yet as to which holiday the Going Postal tv movie will be shown on? All I've been able to find is a vague 2009.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Emerson Cod posted:

I wonder, has there been any word yet as to which holiday the Going Postal tv movie will be shown on? All I've been able to find is a vague 2009.

Probably Easter, as that is when the last two have both been aired.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Dead Alice posted:

Probably Easter, as that is when the last two have both been aired.

I thought Hogfather aired around Christmas? But yeah, I guess Easter makes sense. I suppose I was hoping for it to be a New Years surprise.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How did the other two fare? I'm hoping Going Postal will be a good watch.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Emerson Cod posted:

I thought Hogfather aired around Christmas? But yeah, I guess Easter makes sense. I suppose I was hoping for it to be a New Years surprise.

You're right, it was christmas for Hogfather, but it was easter here by the time it filtered through the :filez: to me.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Tain posted:

How did the other two fare? I'm hoping Going Postal will be a good watch.

Hogfather was a really close adaption of the book and had pretty decent effects for a made for TV production. The main complaint I've heard about Hogfather is accent the actor who plays Teatime used.

I haven't see Color of Magic yet but the main thing I remember people bitching about was the Patricians voice. Apparently he speaks with a slight lisp which is an homage to the way Pratchett speaks but some people disliked it.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
Hogfather's awesome, my only criticism was the first part is dead slow (not a problem for me as I loved taking it all in, but it is a flaw of the film).

Colour of Magic isn't very good by virtue of those two books being very light on serious plot. For the film production, they stripped back on all the high fantasy parodies and dumbed it down to the basic sequence of events, which, truth be told, wasn't very interesting. David Jason won me over as Rincewind, though, and Sean Astin as Twoflower was similarly brilliant.

MajorMajor
Nov 11, 2005

Some people say you are Henry Fonda.
I found this column written by Terry Pratchett via Neil Gaiman's blog. It's actually a pretty touching piece about still finding that sense of higher order and peace without believing in God. He only mentions Alzheimer's briefly, but you can still get a sense that he has accepted it while still holding onto the hope that a cure will be found.

Link to article

Terry Pratchett in the Daily Mail posted:

There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.

But it is true that in an interview I gave recently I did describe a sudden, distinct feeling I had one hectic day that everything I was doing was right and things were happening as they should.

It seemed like the memory of a voice and it came wrapped in its own brief little bubble of tranquillity. I'm not used to this.

As a fantasy writer I create fresh gods and philosophies almost with every new book (I'm rather pleased with Annoia, the goddess of Things That Get Stuck In Drawers, whose temple is hung about with the bent remains of bent egg whisks and spatulas. She actually appears to work in this world, too).

But since contracting Alzheimer's disease I have spent my long winter walks trying to work out what it is that I really, if anything, believe.

I read the Old Testament all the way through when I was about 13 and was horrified. A few months afterwards I read The Origin Of Species, hallucinating very mildly because I was in bed with flu at the time. Despite that, or because of that, it all made perfect sense.

As soon as I was allowed out again I borrowed the sequel and even then it struck me that Darwin had missed a trick with the title. If only a good publicist had pointed out to him that The Ascent Of Man had more reader appeal perhaps there wouldn't have been quite as much fuss.

Evolution was far more thrilling to me than the biblical account. Who would not rather be a rising ape than a falling angel? To my juvenile eyes Darwin was proved true every day. It doesn't take much to make us flip back into monkeys again.

The New Testament, now, I quite liked. Jesus had a lot of good things to say and as for his father, he must have been highly thought of by the community to work with wood - a material that couldn't have been widely available in Palestine.

But I could never see the two testaments as one coherent narrative. Besides, by then I was reading mythology for fun, and had run into Sir James G. Frazer's Folklore In The Old Testament, a velvet-gloved hatchet job if ever there were one.

By the time I was 14 I was too smart for my own God.

I could never find the answers, you see. Perhaps I asked the wrong kind of question, or was the wrong kind of kid, even back in primary school.

I was puzzled by the fact that according to the hymn, there was a green hill far away 'without a city wall'. What was so unusual about a hill not having a wall? If only someone had explained ...

And that is how it went - there was never the explanation.

I asked a teacher what the opposite of a miracle was and she, without thinking, I assume, said it was an act of God.

You shouldn't say something like that to the kind of kid who will grow up to be a writer; we have long memories.

But I'd asked the question because my mother had told me about two families she knew in the East End of London. They lived in a pair of semi-detached houses. The daughter of one was due to get married to the son of the other and on the night before the wedding a German bomb destroyed the members of both families who were staying in those houses in one go, except for the sailor brother of the groom, who arrived in time to help scrabble through the wreckage with his bare hands.

Like many of the stories she told me, this had an enormous effect on me. I thought it was a miracle. It was exactly the same shape as a miracle. It was just ... reversed.

Did the sailor thank his god that the bomb had missed him? Or did he curse because it had not missed his family? If the sailor had given thanks, wouldn't he be betraying his family?

If God saved one, He could have saved the rest, couldn't He? After all, isn't God in charge? Why does He act as if He isn't? Does He want us to act as if He isn't, too?

As a boy I had a clear image of the Almighty: He had a tail coat and pinstriped trousers, black, slicked-down hair and an aquiline nose.

On the whole, I was probably a rather strange child, and I wonder what my life might have been like if I'd met a decent theologian when I was nine.

About five years ago that child rose up in me again and I began work on a book, soon to see the light of day as Nation. It came to me overnight, in all but the fine detail.

It is set on a world very like this one, at the time of an explosion very like that of Krakatoa, and in the centre of my book, a 13-year-old boy, now orphaned, screams at his gods for answers when he hasn't fully understood what the questions are.

He hates them too much not to believe. He has had to bury his own family; he is not going to give thanks to anyone. And I watched him try to build a new nation and a new philosophy.

'The creator gave us the brains to prove he doesn't exist,' he says as an old man. 'It is better to build a seismograph than to worship the volcano.'

I agree. I don't believe. I never have, not in big beards in the sky.

But I was brought up traditionally Church of England, which is to say that while churchgoing did not figure in my family's plans for the Sabbath, practically all the Ten Commandments were obeyed by instinct and a general air of reason, and kindness and decency prevailed.

Belief was never mentioned at home, but right actions were taught by daily example.

Possibly because of this, I have never disliked religion. I think it has some purpose in our evolution.

I don't have much truck with the ' religion is the cause of most of our wars' school of thought because that is manifestly done by mad, manipulative and power-hungry men who cloak their ambition in God.

I number believers of all sorts among my friends. Some of them are praying for me. I'm happy they wish to do this, I really am, but I think science may be a better bet.

So what shall I make of the voice that spoke to me recently as I was scuttling around getting ready for yet another spell on a chat-show sofa?

More accurately, it was a memory of a voice in my head, and it told me that everything was OK and things were happening as they should. For a moment, the world had felt at peace. Where did it come from?

Me, actually - the part of all of us that, in my case, caused me to stand in awe the first time I heard Thomas Tallis's Spem In Alium, and the elation I felt on a walk one day last February, when the light of the setting sun turned a ploughed field into shocking pink; I believe it's what Abraham felt on the mountain and Einstein did when it turned out that E=mc2.

It's that moment, that brief epiphany when the universe opens up and shows us something, and in that instant we get just a sense of an order greater than Heaven and, as yet at least, beyond the grasp of Stephen Hawking. It doesn't require worship, but, I think, rewards intelligence, observation and enquiring minds.

I don't think I've found God, but I may have seen where gods come from.

That articulates my position and (lack of) belief almost perfectly. The guy can string a hell of a sentence together.

edit:
This was the headline and subtitle that Daily Mail used. It's like they didn't even read the article :rolleyes: :

quote:

I create gods all the time - now I think one might exist, says fantasy author Terry Pratchett
As a child, Terry Pratchett questioned everything, but didn't always get the answers he craved. The best-selling fantasy author grew up not believing in a supreme deity - until the day the universe opened up to him as he was preparing for another spell on a chat-show.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

MajorMajor posted:

edit:
This was the headline and subtitle that Daily Mail used. It's like they didn't even read the article :rolleyes: :

You know it's that kind of poo poo that pisses me off. I think they may have read it, or skimmed it at least, but didn't understand it. I wonder how people like this can get a job writing professionally when they hardly pay any attention to detail.

The article was fantastic. The world needs more Pterrys. Or should that be Pterries. Ah gently caress it.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

quote:

I create gods all the time - now I think one might exist, says fantasy author Terry Pratchett
As a child, Terry Pratchett questioned everything, but didn't always get the answers he craved. The best-selling fantasy author grew up not believing in a supreme deity - until the day the universe opened up to him as he was preparing for another spell on a chat-show.

:wtf::wtf: That pissed me off so badly. What the christ Daily Mail?! :argh:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

:wtf::wtf: That pissed me off so badly. What the christ Daily Mail?! :argh:

The Daily Mail does and has done a lot worse than misquoting Terry, but that typifies their editorial style neatly.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
In the middle of Night Watch right now, and I think this may actually the funniest discworld novel I've read. Even if it does center around an absurd sci-fi cliche.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

LooseChanj posted:

In the middle of Night Watch right now, and I think this may actually the funniest discworld novel I've read. Even if it does center around an absurd sci-fi cliche.

Is there any Discworld book that isn't at least partly based around a cliché? That's half the fun.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Having grown up in Lancashire I'd say you're right but also wrong. Witch mythology is particularly heavy there, even the public footpaths through the fields and hills (and even bus companies) have little witches pointing the way.

That said, it's not *all* Lancashire, while it's rather hilly it's hardly mountainous until you get to the Pennines, and a whole lot of other references don't directly apply. If anything I'd say it's an amalgamation of hilly village life set in Lancashire history which will no doubt find parallels everywhere. Isn't that what most Pratchett locations are all about?

magimix posted:

From past experience I'd say Vimes can be placed into a lot of roles in which you wouldn't expect him to fit. He started out as a street-level bobby desperate to avoid doing any work, and now he's Commander of a rather significant force and a Duke. It seems that whenever Pratchett hits us with another Vimes upgrade at the end of a book, I think "What? That doesn't sound very Vimesey", only to find out it works fine. I wouldn't be especially surprised if he wound up replacing Vetinari. "Oh and you're the new Patrician" is exactly the kind of surprise he likes hitting Vimes with.

Besides, there already *have* been poo poo-storms between Vimes and the free press, wouldn't be a massive change.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Arachnamus posted:

I wouldn't be especially surprised if he wound up replacing Vetinari. "Oh and you're the new Patrician" is exactly the kind of surprise he likes hitting Vimes with.

Besides, there already *have* been poo poo-storms between Vimes and the free press, wouldn't be a massive change.

I can see it now, Vimes, as his fisrt act as Patrician, reinstates Vetinari as Patrician :jerkbag:

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I can see it now, Vimes, as his fisrt act as Patrician, reinstates Vetinari as Patrician :jerkbag:

Thats exactly what you would say though isn't it, seeing as you're the next man for the job :raise:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Bah, the reluctant successor will be King Carrot I and you all know it.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Entropic posted:

King who?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Entropic posted:

It does seem that any of the main contenders could be classed as "reluctant".

Zodiac_Mindwack
Jun 15, 2008

withak posted:

I think Lancre is just generic British-Isle hillbilly with no particular cultural cultural origin.
I live in North East Lancashire and I suspect that Lancre is a mixture of here (in the Pennines with all the witch culture, stone circles, fairie and poo poo) and Cumbria, in particular what used to be Cumberland. Lots of small gods. Lots of small-scale intercine rivalry. But maybe that's just me.

I am deeply saddened about Pterry's diagnosis of Alzheimers. God. Such a young man.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

That's it Goons, we're curing this ourselves.

This is horrible though, some of the worst news I've heard in a long while. Here's hoping that he can get at least another 15 years though.

The average 'normal' progression from diagnosis to death is around 7 years for in Alzheimer's Disease, but can - exceptionally - be up to 20 years. Say a few prayers.

Zodiac_Mindwack fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 14, 2008

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

LooseChanj posted:

King who?

The 7 foot guy with the strawberry birthmark, a sword that can cut through anything, and is universally loved by all in Ankh-Morpork, who then chooses to be a copper because he wants everyone to follow the law 'because it's the law' rather than 'because they like him' is a piss take of every 'much loved' king in a fantasy story.

Also, when Vimes is made a Duke Carrot is there, and everyone knows, but says nothing as not to upset the status quo

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

ibroxmassive posted:

Also, when Vimes is made a Duke Carrot is there, and everyone knows, but says nothing as not to upset the status quo

Oh, I know who Carrot is. I just didn't know he was the rightful heir to A-M's throne. And neither does anyone else. :colbert:

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

LooseChanj posted:

Oh, I know who Carrot is. I just didn't know he was the rightful heir to A-M's throne. And neither does anyone else. :colbert:
I think you'll find that "everyone" knows in A-M - reference is made to the fact in a few books post Guards Guards. Feet of Clay, for example.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

machine gun wedgie posted:

I think you'll find that "everyone" knows in A-M

And I think you'll find that no one ever admits it.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
So far I think the list is;

Veternari
Angua
Vimes
Sybil ('Cos she knows everything Vimes does, even if he doesn't tell her)
Fred Colon (In Men at Arms he pontificates about who would want a really sharp sword)
Carrot
Carrots Dad (Sending him off to find his fortune)
Drumknott

and probably a few more. Edward D'Eath knew, but he's dead now. Lord Downey maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Honestly between Carrot, Moist and Vimes the only real way I can see AM run after Vetinari is some combination of all three.

As Patrician though it would have to be Vimes, Carrot coming up as king would be really strange considering how much of Discworld is deconstructing happily ever after kindly king type stories and how much we've heard about Vimes despising kings.

I could see Moist doing it somehow if AM was an actual democracy, he's no despot but a talent for screwing with people and having them not mind makes him pretty perfectly electable.