Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fap
Jul 1, 2003

roll you up into my life.
You do knit nice and straight, especially for your first project. And I want to give your doggies kisses! I still have my first swatch, which was supposed to be a square. It's more like a smiley face and has tons of dropped stitches. Whenever I'm on a difficult pattern, I break out my swatch to remind that I've come a long way. Oh, and it's great to show people who want to learn how to knit, and then show them a current or finished project. I guess I'm just a little crazy :)

Also, I lost my brand new wallet while visiting a yarn store in California, so I'm bummed. It was a pretty nice (and brand new) wallet too. :( I did pick up some Kureyon for a hat, and some Noro Taiyo too. I love the Taiyo (cotton, silk, wool and nylon), it's pretty soft. Has anyone else heard of this yarn, cause it's the first I've seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

fap posted:

You do knit nice and straight, especially for your first project. And I want to give your doggies kisses! I still have my first swatch, which was supposed to be a square. It's more like a smiley face and has tons of dropped stitches. Whenever I'm on a difficult pattern, I break out my swatch to remind that I've come a long way. Oh, and it's great to show people who want to learn how to knit, and then show them a current or finished project. I guess I'm just a little crazy :)

Also, I lost my brand new wallet while visiting a yarn store in California, so I'm bummed. It was a pretty nice (and brand new) wallet too. :( I did pick up some Kureyon for a hat, and some Noro Taiyo too. I love the Taiyo (cotton, silk, wool and nylon), it's pretty soft. Has anyone else heard of this yarn, cause it's the first I've seen it.

I just saw it for the first time on Monday (I got to go to WEBS). It's beautiful! I love Noro.

I bought $50 worth of sock yarn. I need help.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!
I like to make toys.

A brain slug on the left and an octopus on the right. I will be doing several other cephalopods.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

So cute! :D

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
oh my god that octopus is amazing!!!

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
There both amazing! I like how the underside of the legs on the octopus are a lighter color (or at least it looks that way). I'm still working on learning the purl. =/ It's by far my least favorite.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Are you up for sharing the octopus pattern or..."

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!
I got the octopus (and the others I'm planning to do) from http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_list_1&listing_id=12697476

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I made yarn! Yay for drop spindles and being too sick to knit, but not too sick to spin.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've never done intarsia, but the lure of the police tape scarf is proving impossible to resist.

1. Am I crazy? I've been knitting for awhile, but my most ambitious project to date is, like, a striped hat. Like I said, no intarsia yet, so this would be a learning project -- is it too difficult for that?
2. What yarn should I use? I can't get to an upscale LYS, but I really want to avoid Red Heart or anything similar. What's the best yarn I can get at a store like Jo-Ann Fabrics or Michaels?
3. Should I knit it in the round instead? If so, how can the pattern be converted? I would hate to do what seems logical only to realize I have the letters backwards or something.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I've never done intarsia, but the lure of the police tape scarf is proving impossible to resist.

1. Am I crazy? I've been knitting for awhile, but my most ambitious project to date is, like, a striped hat. Like I said, no intarsia yet, so this would be a learning project -- is it too difficult for that?
2. What yarn should I use? I can't get to an upscale LYS, but I really want to avoid Red Heart or anything similar. What's the best yarn I can get at a store like Jo-Ann Fabrics or Michaels?
3. Should I knit it in the round instead? If so, how can the pattern be converted? I would hate to do what seems logical only to realize I have the letters backwards or something.
The first thing I thought of when I saw your post was knitting in the round. I think it would look better and be a lot easier when the threads doesn't show in the back.

I don't see how the letters could be backwards at all. Do you plan to have them on either side, or just one side and solid color on the other?

I don't have any suggestions for yarn, because I'm not American and don't know of your fancy yarn!

And by the way, you're not crazy. Be fearless, I say! :D

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

TauntTheOctopi posted:

I got the octopus (and the others I'm planning to do) from http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_list_1&listing_id=12697476

AHA! I knew it seemed vaguely familiar. Too bad it's sold out for some reason (???).

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
That particular listing was sold. hansigurumi relisted it here: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=12724496

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

elbow posted:

Oh wow, that's awesome. I love the handles and the flap!
Do you have a pattern for this?
I've talked to Renate Alice who designed the pattern for the wine box bag, and I've translated it to English for her. If anyone is interested, I could give you her email adress for you to contact her.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Anne Whateley posted:

I haven't worked at Michaels in two years so I imagine they have a lot of new stuff, but a good cheap one is Caron Simply Soft, so long as you aren't anti-acrylic. It is a bit squeaky but it's also quite soft, comes in many colors, and is very affordable. $2.99 for 270 yds last time I checked.

Lion Brand Woolease is okay, an acrylic/wool blend, not expensive, but it's not super soft.

They have been branching out into 100% natural fibers too. I understand Patons Classic Wool is fairly popular for a craft store brand, though I've never worked with it before. Your store should have a sample swatch of most of the yarns hanging in the aisle if you want to do a little fondling before you choose.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Patons Wool is a good value, but felts really easily, so I think it would be great for a felting project but probably not that great for an intarsia project that would want to be more clear in its different colors.

edit: to Anne: I jumped right into socks after a couple of scarves, and I think the challenge of a more complicated project helped me learn a lot about knitting. (I just got my Favorite Socks book when I ordered my Starting Strength book, so hopefully I can start doing socks again!) :D

jomiel fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 23, 2008

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Drei posted:

yarn!
Acrylics are fine by me -- in fact, the pattern called for an acrylic. Unfortunately the only worsted-weight acrylic they had in the right colors was Caron One-Pound. It doesn't feel bad -- it's not Red Heart or anything -- but it's not amazing either. I might give away this scarf (if I can do it at all) and then do another one for myself; it's cool enough I should be able to get takers.

Midnight Sun posted:

The first thing I thought of when I saw your post was knitting in the round. I think it would look better and be a lot easier when the threads doesn't show in the back.
I totally agreed, but then I looked up circular intarsia and found it's legendarily difficult -- so perhaps not quite the best idea for me. Like real police tape (I'm pretty sure), I'm only going to have letters on one side, so the blank parts should go pretty quickly, and then I just have to seam it up the middle. (Not that I'm looking forward to 9' of seaming, but what are you gonna do.)

jomiel posted:

I jumped right into socks after a couple of scarves, and I think the challenge of a more complicated project helped me learn a lot about knitting. (I just got my Favorite Socks book when I ordered my Starting Strength book, so hopefully I can start doing socks again!) :D
I definitely learn by doing. The hat was the first thing I did on circs, and then I learned dpns by doing wrist warmers. This project is just going to teach me intarsia and pattern-reading at the same time, which could be interesting. I'm not sure how I'm going to find the space and time for it, either -- this is the first project I've had that's too big and complicated to be portable. I'm still nowhere near brave enough for socks, though!

W&W represent -- this week I'm signing up for a rec center with a pool, so a lot of my knitting will be done with pruney fingers!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I totally agreed, but then I looked up circular intarsia and found it's legendarily difficult -- so perhaps not quite the best idea for me. Like real police tape (I'm pretty sure), I'm only going to have letters on one side, so the blank parts should go pretty quickly, and then I just have to seam it up the middle. (Not that I'm looking forward to 9' of seaming, but what are you gonna do
Intarsia in the round is probably quite difficult, but I would rather do fair isle in the round. I did it as a 17 year old with little to no knitting experience, when I broke my leg and had nothing better to do than knit ugly hats with a lot of weird patterns. :D
So I say just go for it!

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Anne Whateley posted:

Have you looked at Knitpicks.com? It's not a local store, but they sell wool in lots of colors for starting at 1.99 a skein. I bought the color cards to keep as reference. They were cheap, a few bucks. I have been pleased with what I have gotten from them so far.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Bad Mitten posted:

Have you looked at Knitpicks.com? It's not a local store, but they sell wool in lots of colors for starting at 1.99 a skein. I bought the color cards to keep as reference. They were cheap, a few bucks. I have been pleased with what I have gotten from them so far.

Thanks for the suggestion. Their yarn colors on the website looks so dark that I've been afraid of ordering :(

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

jomiel posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. Their yarn colors on the website looks so dark that I've been afraid of ordering :(

They do seem to lack pastels. But, that isn't my taste for the most part.

logorrhea
Apr 7, 2006

My mom wants to get into spinning and dyeing her own yarn. Her birthday is coming up soon and I wondered if anyone had any ideas for a present I could get her related to that interest. So far as I know she doesn't have any items yet. Should I get her a spinning wheel? How would I buy a spinning wheel anyway? Should I get a smaller purchase, since she hasn't done any spinning yet? If I get her something smaller, what should it be?

My mom is a very advanced knitter and I know she can figure out this next interest. However, I'm all at sea as to how to help her new hobby :confused:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

logorrhea posted:

My mom wants to get into spinning and dyeing her own yarn. Her birthday is coming up soon and I wondered if anyone had any ideas for a present I could get her related to that interest. So far as I know she doesn't have any items yet. Should I get her a spinning wheel? How would I buy a spinning wheel anyway? Should I get a smaller purchase, since she hasn't done any spinning yet? If I get her something smaller, what should it be?

My mom is a very advanced knitter and I know she can figure out this next interest. However, I'm all at sea as to how to help her new hobby :confused:
A drop spindle, perhaps?

fap
Jul 1, 2003

I'd also say a drop spindle. I've always wanted one from here: http://www.goldingfibertools.com/ or from here: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5207884 Both of them are beautiful. Just don't get her one of those kits that come with fiber, the spindle I got with my kit was total crap. Buy the fiber separably off of etsy. If she needs help figuring out how to spin, send her to youtube for drop spindle video instruction. That's what I did.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

fap posted:

I'd also say a drop spindle. I've always wanted one from here: http://www.goldingfibertools.com/ or from here: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5207884 Both of them are beautiful. Just don't get her one of those kits that come with fiber, the spindle I got with my kit was total crap. Buy the fiber separably off of etsy. If she needs help figuring out how to spin, send her to youtube for drop spindle video instruction. That's what I did.

This pretty much works. You can go pretty cheap (google products returns $10 wooden drop spindles, and a few ounces of plain wool to get started is just $5 more or something), or you can get her one of those nice hand-carved spindles with some squishy hand-dyed merino to play with and a lesson or two at your LYS.

But you might want to get her some cheap wool to begin with just so she doesn't get depressed at turning pretty roving into barf on her first try! I know I would.

Oh, and my pound of Corrie cross came in the mail and I'm researching dying options. Anyone have experience with nice, easy to use dyes? Not sure if I want to invest in a bunch of colors AND the weird chemicals to mix with it AND handling equipment (extra crock pot, basters, etc) since I'm just starting out. I don't want to be limited to the Kool-Aid colors, though. I was thinking nice emerald green and black...

fap
Jul 1, 2003

Well, I was going to say Easter Egg dyes do pretty colors, but they don't come in emerald green or black. You could see what you could do with Wilton cake dyes.

Some Easter egg dyes:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Chrisknits/stash/220-wool
http://www.ravelry.com/people/AliceKathryn/stash/220-wool-2

Note: I've never dyed before.

Menolly
Feb 26, 2006

Burnin' the Heretics

Pile of Kittens posted:

This pretty much works. You can go pretty cheap (google products returns $10 wooden drop spindles, and a few ounces of plain wool to get started is just $5 more or something), or you can get her one of those nice hand-carved spindles with some squishy hand-dyed merino to play with and a lesson or two at your LYS.

But you might want to get her some cheap wool to begin with just so she doesn't get depressed at turning pretty roving into barf on her first try! I know I would.

Oh, and my pound of Corrie cross came in the mail and I'm researching dying options. Anyone have experience with nice, easy to use dyes? Not sure if I want to invest in a bunch of colors AND the weird chemicals to mix with it AND handling equipment (extra crock pot, basters, etc) since I'm just starting out. I don't want to be limited to the Kool-Aid colors, though. I was thinking nice emerald green and black...

Jacquard Acid Dyes are incredibly easy. You can use them just like Kool-Aid powder, except that you need to add vinegar and can use a cheap enamel pot like the blue-speckled tamale pot things they have at wal-mart (I paid all of $8 for mine, and a gallon of vinegar will last you a long time and will only set you back $2). I have three primary colors, turquoise, and black. I've never had a problem making any color I want. Emerald green and black can be accomplished with a bit of blue, yellow, turquoise, and obviously black.

logorrhea
Apr 7, 2006

Midnight Sun posted:

A drop spindle, perhaps?

fap posted:

Pile of Kittens posted:

Thanks to all of you! :) I think I'll be getting her a drop spindle, some cheap roving (for her first try) and some nice roving (for when she feels more comfortable with spinning). The roving from that one etsy user is amazing!

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Menolly posted:

Jacquard Acid Dyes are incredibly easy. You can use them just like Kool-Aid powder, except that you need to add vinegar and can use a cheap enamel pot like the blue-speckled tamale pot things they have at wal-mart (I paid all of $8 for mine, and a gallon of vinegar will last you a long time and will only set you back $2). I have three primary colors, turquoise, and black. I've never had a problem making any color I want. Emerald green and black can be accomplished with a bit of blue, yellow, turquoise, and obviously black.

This is good for dying yarn as well, right? Do you guys have any experience dying your own yarn? How easy/hard is it to get a decent result? (Pictures please :h: ) Lorna's Laces and all those specialty yarns look so yummy.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Anne Whateley posted:

What yarn should I use? I can't get to an upscale LYS, but I really want to avoid Red Heart or anything similar. What's the best yarn I can get at a store like Jo-Ann Fabrics or Michaels?

Don't be too afraid of Red Heart. The last scarf I knitted, I used Red Heart's "I Love This Yarn!" and although it's acrylic, I really, truly did Love This Yarn!. I've used Caron's Simply Soft on the same pattern, and I liked this stuff better. It's got a little more density to it, and it's nice and soft and has a good drape to it.

Plus, it's super warm. And cheap :)

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

Calienta posted:

My very first project ever. And I mean ever. I had never even held needles before when I decided to start on this sucker. I started back in October and worked solidly for three months before I gave up after knitting half of one little sleeve in the round - was very frustrating. I just finished it recently, so now I can work on other things.
[dog photos]
That is such an impressive first project! Seriously impressive. Most people I know made the obligatory fun-fur scarf as a first project, obviously ending up with insanely more/less stitches than they started with.

I knitted some Endpaper Mitts. I'm really happy with them, I knitted the pair in about a week; it's my second colour project.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Really pretty mittens, artificial! I'm so impress with people who can knit with both different colors AND dpns!

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.
There's no way in hell I'm ready to post anything I've made (I'm a beginner, and not a natural!), but I just want to thank the thread regulars for recommending Ravelry. What an absolutely awesome resource :)

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

Midnight Sun posted:

Really pretty mittens, artificial! I'm so impress with people who can knit with both different colors AND dpns!
Thanks! haha dpns were a breeze compared to knitting with different colours, it takes ages to get used to having a strands of yarn on both your index and another finger, but after one project you get into the rhythm of it.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I do a lot of weaving/garments in addition to knitting, and I always use Pro-Chem dyes-- http://www.prochemical.com/starterkits.htm They seem to hold a lot better than jacquard, and although you will need soda ash and/or synthrapol to use them, I think they're still cheaper and definately worth it. I've dyed whole wefts with a quarter of container, it's really concentrated stuff. And the colors are beautiful--their hot pink and ultra violet are amazing. The only color I have trouble with is red, and any non-commercial red is going to be fugitive as hell.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

So I'm making this entrelac scarf, really simple, but I've come across something I just don't get.

I'm at the first all-block row now, which started on the WS. The pattern says to pick up and purl 7 stitches, but how am I supposed to do that? Do I pick up one, move it to the left needle and purl it, pick up the next one, move it to the left needle and purl it? Right now I'm just picking them up and not purling them, since the squares are more like rectangles anyway, I figure the fewer rows the better, but am I doing this horribly wrong?

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

elbow posted:

So I'm making this entrelac scarf, really simple, but I've come across something I just don't get.

I'm at the first all-block row now, which started on the WS. The pattern says to pick up and purl 7 stitches, but how am I supposed to do that? Do I pick up one, move it to the left needle and purl it, pick up the next one, move it to the left needle and purl it? Right now I'm just picking them up and not purling them, since the squares are more like rectangles anyway, I figure the fewer rows the better, but am I doing this horribly wrong?

Pick up the loops with your left needle, it's a lot easier.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

So I do still have to purl them? Wouldn't that look weird, with the yarn half wrapped around the stitch?

I'm secretly just continuing like this :pseudo:

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Yep, you still have to purl them, if only to provide a base for your next row of knitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

After reading a Knitty article just now about picking up stitches, I've discovered that while I thought I was simply picking up stitches, I was actually already picking up and purling :downs: