Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Yoozer posted:

To contribute with another bit; here's something I've found out that I think was a technique in the 90's. With software synthesizers and sample libraries and all that it's easy to forget one of the biggest studio workhorses in the early-mid-90's studio - the sampler. Even if it only has the memory of a goldfish, it's still usable, since here's what you can do:
Best tip ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Mr. Pharmacist posted:

In Fruity Loops, how do I get it to let me make really precise changes in Fruity Slicer (like the bar starts right on the pixel you click on) rather than just going from the start of each box? I know it used to do this but I opened it up again today and I can't make those precise placements anymore.

Well this might not be all that helpful if you are dead set on using Slicer but if you have FL Studio 8 you should use Slice-X which lets you move the start and end points of each slice to wherever you want. Plus its just generally 10 times better than Slicer in every way imaginable.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Blinn posted:

Sup everyone; I've just recently got into making some tracks based on samples and here's a track I've been working on for a few days as I'm learning and working with that. Any comments or criticism would be much appreciated!

Samples are from Brothers Johnson, Kool & The Gang and Stewart Copeland so far, if anyone's interested.

Edit: Obviously the ending is a bit sudden cos it's not finished. It was all done in Reason.

this sounds pretty good, great arrangement and such, but it wouldnt hurt to work some more on the mixing. The low end in particular is very lacking, theres almost nothing there.

Mr. Pharmacist
May 20, 2008

WanderingKid posted:

Well this might not be all that helpful if you are dead set on using Slicer but if you have FL Studio 8 you should use Slice-X which lets you move the start and end points of each slice to wherever you want. Plus its just generally 10 times better than Slicer in every way imaginable.

EDIT: Sorry, I was talking about the Piano Roll. The sounds on each slice automatically go to each 16th note and won't allow me to place any faster beats.

Mr. Pharmacist fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 20, 2008

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

this sounds pretty good, great arrangement and such, but it wouldnt hurt to work some more on the mixing. The low end in particular is very lacking, theres almost nothing there.
Low-end sounds alright to me, but maybe reconsider those bells that come in around the halfway point. They just don't seem to fit in with the rest of it.

I love the little side-chained interlude with the filter enveloping though. I know side-chaining is used on everything now, but I'm still a sucker for it. :)

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

This is something I've been doing over the last couple of days. It's a trance track...I was kinda aiming for something that sounds like Anjunabeats, but IMO it kinda drifted away from that and ended being more riff driven.

http://www.demoralised.org/trance_thingy.mp3

I quite like it so far....although I'm totally lost as to where to go next. So far I've only got upto the first drop, so it needs another breakdown+buildup+drop etc. I'm reluctant to just repeat what i've got so far....i think i might change it completely for the second breakdown. The last 32 bars are just me fecking around with Effectrix...they can be ignored.

This is my first stab at a trance track, so i'm curious as to what people think!

edit: hmmmm something seems to have acted up when Audacity converted it to MP3....there's some weird time-stretchy sounding glitches at the beginning. don't know what happened there.... :confused:

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 21, 2008

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Mannex posted:

Low-end sounds alright to me

I dont mean to derail and be a pedantic dick but if you listen to simmilar looped housey tracks, like uhm.. maybe stardust or any of that other filtered disco housey stuff you'll see what I mean. The bassline doesnt carry, it just sorta sits there between 100-400 with no real presence.
Maybe that was the intention of this production, or that he's not going for the filtered discohouse sound at all, but in my opinion atleast tracks like these need a real presence in their basslines. Sounds much better on the dancefloors too!

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

moron posted:

This is something I've been doing over the last couple of days. It's a trance track...I was kinda aiming for something that sounds like Anjunabeats, but IMO it kinda drifted away from that and ended being more riff driven.

http://www.demoralised.org/trance_thingy.mp3

That's really well produced in my opinion, I don't listen to much trance though. Personally, I think its pretty much fine as is, and ready to be mixed into the next track after the drop.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
This is really very solid. The only thing I disliked was the too-heavy sidechaining during the main part and especially when the kick sets in in the break. The chord progression is a bit stale (although I shouldn't complain, I've used it myself.. twice, probably :D), but you're doing well with. I like the little stumbling fills in the beginning, better than a snare roll ;)

Anyway, I feel like this could benefit from something that's not sidechained to the kick, because it's got this kind of awkward pumping that's coming a bit too early. Good work otherwise.

edit: thanks to whoever fixed the smilies that broke the line height!

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Mr. Pharmacist posted:

EDIT: Sorry, I was talking about the Piano Roll. The sounds on each slice automatically go to each 16th note and won't allow me to place any faster beats.

Piano roll is easy. Theres a tab near the top of the screen with 'Line' written in it. Click that and set it to 'none' and you can freely move around note triggers in the piano roll and make them any length you want. If you just want a finer degree of quantisation set it to '1/4 step' - this will let you stick 32 and 64th notes in the piano roll using the default timebase (96 PPQ).

If you find the resolution is too low (even when zoomed in fully) you can also double (or quadruple) the timebase in the options menu to make the time interval in the piano roll finer so that all the note triggers get longer and easier to work with when you are having to click around tiny triggers with the default timebase.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Thanks for all the kind words.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

I dont mean to derail and be a pedantic dick but if you listen to simmilar looped housey tracks, like uhm.. maybe stardust or any of that other filtered disco housey stuff you'll see what I mean. The bassline doesnt carry, it just sorta sits there between 100-400 with no real presence.
Maybe that was the intention of this production, or that he's not going for the filtered discohouse sound at all, but in my opinion atleast tracks like these need a real presence in their basslines. Sounds much better on the dancefloors too!

I'd like to hear more about this- I think you're right that it's lacking a little bit in the bass section. Can you give me any advice into how I might fix that? Since the mix I posted I've added a +4 dB spike to the 85hz region to try make it have more kick and have written a sub-bass line. I've also EQed the samples I used to boost their bass a little more, but if you can think of anything else I'd love to hear it.

Can you give me a timestamp about those bells Mannex? They may already be in the sample in which case the best I can do is EQ them out but I kind of like how everything fits together. I also added a rhodes to the original sample so you may be talking about that.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

This is really fun.

I'm finding whatever they did to Live 7 has made it a lot easier to work with as a DAW and not just a live thing. Thank god for the 14 day demo -- I probably would have never dug into it like this if they didn't have it. I'm going to have to see if I can't find a cheap copy on Craigslist or something. I've also found that not bothering with transmitting MIDI via rewire to Reason, and instead just using the keyboard directly in Reason and only recording the output makes life a lot easier.

Although I'm not sure that Live 7 being easier to use is necessarily a good thing for me, because the results turned out a bit weird.

EDIT: Fixed the broken mp3

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 22, 2008

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

WanderingKid posted:

Piano roll is easy. Theres a tab near the top of the screen with 'Line' written in it. Click that and set it to 'none' and you can freely move around note triggers in the piano roll and make them any length you want. If you just want a finer degree of quantisation set it to '1/4 step' - this will let you stick 32 and 64th notes in the piano roll using the default timebase (96 PPQ).
also if you hold alt while you drag, it lets you move it around freely. i like doing it this way so i don't have to keep turning the snap on and off

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
This is a little ditty I've been working on lately, any comments on things that don't sit well when listening would be appreciated. I'm not really an electronic listener (I own a few albums here and there but it's not really the only genre I enjoy listening to or playing) so I have a hard time hearing whether or not certain synths fit or if there's a better sound I can work with. I made this entirely in FL Studio 8 XXL.

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Blinn posted:

Can you give me a timestamp about those bells Mannex? They may already be in the sample in which case the best I can do is EQ them out but I kind of like how everything fits together. I also added a rhodes to the original sample so you may be talking about that.

Sorry about that. Completely slipped my mind. 1:07 and 2:11. They just sound a little too... "sega genesis"?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Blinn posted:

Thanks for all the kind words.

I'd like to hear more about this- I think you're right that it's lacking a little bit in the bass section. Can you give me any advice into how I might fix that? Since the mix I posted I've added a +4 dB spike to the 85hz region to try make it have more kick and have written a sub-bass line. I've also EQed the samples I used to boost their bass a little more, but if you can think of anything else I'd love to hear it.

Layering in another bassline is your best bet. Make sure to EQ it in the 60-120 region somewhere and cut a hole for the bassline though. Compress to taste.

Feel free to email me at kai at phear dot com if you want further assistance.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

seiken posted:

I stumbled across this thread just after pretty much finishing my latest track, it's a cool breakbeat/housey type thing. Opinions welcome.

gorilla warfare
anyone else got any feedback on this?

VVV When you say you get pretty bored is that because of lack of variation/too long, or is it just not your style, or something else? I've tried to make it interesting the whole way through and no two 32-bar sections are the same, but I guess the bassline never changes. Thanks for your reply.

edit: here's another one I finished a sec ago, it's very different
morbid

seiken fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 22, 2008

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

seiken posted:

anyone else got any feedback on this?
the intro is really weird because it sounds like its gonna be all trancey, and then you switch it up and then have a pretty decent drop. i'd say drop that first whole spacey part. its an alright track, but i get pretty bored with it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

squidgee posted:

I'm going to have to see if I can't find a cheap copy on Craigslist or something.

I wouldn't get software like Live over CL.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Can I get some help here with some stuff? I have questions...

I made this with Live.

Please give me advice!

It's the first electronic music thing I've ever made, and I'm actually really proud of it despite how simple it is. I don't want to be a famous producer or anything, I just really, really like electronic music.

How do I get more sounds to work with? Should I get Operator or Analog for Live? Should I get Reason? I've used them all as demos and actually have no idea how to get the sounds I want to come out of them. Synths seem extremely complex to me, but Live seemed impossibly complex at first, too. Is there some online guide out there I can read to help me learn how to program synths?

What are some really good SVTs to download? Free or pay are both fine. (I'm on OSX)

How do I make my stuff more "complex" without being chaotic? How can I make my beats and bass more interesting?

The Arpeggiator in Live outputs very quietly, almost to the point of being unusable. How do I fix this? Am I using it wrong?

OMGWTFAOLBBQ fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 23, 2008

Sock It
Feb 17, 2006

by Fragmaster
Right now I'm mixing on Audacity, which is a pain (to say the very least). It's hard for me to beat match, there's no BPM analyzer, I can't set markers easily, and I have to guess and estimate for a lot of manipulation. It's not that Audacity is a bad program, but I'm beginning to get the feeling that's it's entirely the wrong one.

I've tried a handful of other programs, but they're all to expensive and intimidating (ableton, traktor, and a few others). Reaper seems easy enough, but maybe too easy. I'd like to do some beat matching myself, but Reaper automates the entire process. The only caveat to all of this is that I want to stay below 70 dollars.

Can anyone recommned a software suite that might help me learn DJing better?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Sock It posted:

Right now I'm mixing on Audacity, which is a pain (to say the very least). It's hard for me to beat match, there's no BPM analyzer, I can't set markers easily, and I have to guess and estimate for a lot of manipulation. It's not that Audacity is a bad program, but I'm beginning to get the feeling that's it's entirely the wrong one.

I've tried a handful of other programs, but they're all to expensive and intimidating (ableton, traktor, and a few others). Reaper seems easy enough, but maybe too easy. I'd like to do some beat matching myself, but Reaper automates the entire process. The only caveat to all of this is that I want to stay below 70 dollars.

Does Virtual DJ cost like 30 bucks at most?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Sock It posted:

Reaper isnt an easy program, it just doesnt work how you are wanting it to work, and I doubt most standard DAWs would either.

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Synths seem extremely complex to me, but Live seemed impossibly complex at first, too. Is there some online guide out there I can read to help me learn how to program synths?
This guide helped me out a lot.

http://www.beatportal.com/topics/c/guide-to-synthesis/

After you get through those, learn to use the sampler. Using all synth presets makes it sound really cheap.

There's a free but versatile plugin called Synth1 that you can download.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to include another chord progression/section in your song, just to switch it up a little.

Mannex fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 23, 2008

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Mannex posted:

After you get through those, learn to use the sampler. Using all synth presets makes it sound really cheap.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to include another chord progression/section in your song, just to switch it up a little.

So, I should get Live's built in Sampler instrument, or something else?

Where can I get Synth1 for OS X? Google gives me a bunch for Windows. Does it matter?

Thank you!

OMGWTFAOLBBQ fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 23, 2008

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

What are some really good SVTs to download? Free or pay are both fine. (I'm on OSX)
I cant listen to your track right now, but stick with live - it's certanly good enough.

Here's some free vsts to start with - http://www.vstplanet.com/Instruments/VST_Synthesizers.htm

You can occasionally find an absolute gem and you can do good things with them, with effort.

As far as paying vst's go - look up the native instruments synths, there are 4 in this pack but you can get them seperatly. http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=kompletesynths Really good range of techy sounds.
The korg one's are pretty good too, more traditional sounds.

For one shot sounds/sample based stuff, you can either stick to using impulse (it's good enough, but not the best) or get another sampler.

Native instruments battery is meant to be incredible, but i've not had chance to play with it yet.

Sock It
Feb 17, 2006

by Fragmaster

Stux posted:

Reaper isnt an easy program, it just doesnt work how you are wanting it to work, and I doubt most standard DAWs would either.

Well, the problem is that I don't know what I want, since every program seems to have more features than I need. It's a bit intimidating, knowing so little, yet not really having the tools to learn.

Ideally I'd like two virtual 'decks' where I can adjust tempo/speed to beatmatch, fade in and out, apply effects, etc. I don't really need any sort of MIDI functionality.

I've tried Ableton, which seemed too complicated
Reason (I think?), which didn't run well on my crappy computer
Reaper, which didn't seem exactly right

Virtual DJ looks sort of right, but I haven't had a chance at the trial yet. Anyone have an opinion on it?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Sock It posted:

Well, the problem is that I don't know what I want, since every program seems to have more features than I need. It's a bit intimidating, knowing so little, yet not really having the tools to learn.

Ideally I'd like two virtual 'decks' where I can adjust tempo/speed to beatmatch, fade in and out, apply effects, etc. I don't really need any sort of MIDI functionality.

I've tried Ableton, which seemed too complicated
Reason (I think?), which didn't run well on my crappy computer
Reaper, which didn't seem exactly right

Virtual DJ looks sort of right, but I haven't had a chance at the trial yet. Anyone have an opinion on it?

Thats all Traktor is. What about it did you find intimidating.

Virtual DJ and Cue are similar programs but I found them to be total poo poo compared to Traktor

Sock It
Feb 17, 2006

by Fragmaster

Terrible Horse posted:

Thats all Traktor is. What about it did you find intimidating.

Virtual DJ and Cue are similar programs but I found them to be total poo poo compared to Traktor

I'll try Traktor again, since I've learned a little more than when I first tried it.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I just got an Alesis Ion off eBay. The wait until I can mess with it is going to kill me :(

Counterlogic
Mar 31, 2006
A young pathfinder with too much on his mind.

Mannex posted:

The guy who wrote that (among all the other) beatportal synthesis guides is my Synthesis I teacher at my local community college right now. =) He knows his poo poo and he's a really cool guy. Check out his book "The Remixer's Bible" (by Francis Preve...) if you like the stuff he has up on beatportal. I haven't actually gotten a copy yet but from just knowing him I can highly recommend it already.

He's got some really cool progressive/electro/tech tracks coming out soon through Beatport if you're interested in that kind of stuff too...

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden
I'm using Ableton Live 7.0 and I am trying to lay down a basic drum track. I see a lot of presets under Impulse and I'm using my keyboard to record. Is there a way to put in multiple drum kits under on track?

If I go into a preset under Impulse, I see 8 slots that I can use, but I want to drag the individual slot and combine to mix and match.

For instance, I want to have one track with 8 different types of drums that I choose. I'm kind of tired of making multiple tracks for each little Impulse preset setting and there's got to be a better way.

Edit:

For instance instead of having to load up a whole another track to use other drum effects, I want to replace A-Snare with a different kind of kick-drum from another preset. I have no midi controller and I've tried to use the drum rack but when I use the drum rack it defaults to the first drum so if I use Drum Rack all I can use is the first A-Kick and that's it :(

Found it! I just had to find the .wav sample and add that instead :doh:

Adrenochrome fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 25, 2008

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Can't you drag the samples off of the impulse and into the drum rack, so that you can get whatever preset impulse sounds you want in there?

Packed Tightly
Mar 3, 2007
I'm using Ableton to DJ, and it works great with two tracks - I have enough buttons and knobs on my midi controller to do everything I want to do. I want to start branching out to more tracks (hopefully 4), but I'm running in to the problem of not having enough space left of my controller.

What I want to be able to do is have different presets saved so that one preset controls certain things in Live, and then when I switch the preset, the same knob or button controls something different.

I've been looking for ages for how to do this, but I'm drawing a blank. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might accomplish this?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Packed Tightly posted:

What I want to be able to do is have different presets saved so that one preset controls certain things in Live, and then when I switch the preset, the same knob or button controls something different.

You cant do this within live because it doesnt support midi layers yet, but you might be able to do it with your midi controller software. I know on the pad kontrol you can have 20 layouts on it, switching through with a button at the top. Instead of making the midi signal do something different, it makes each button send a different signal.

There may well be a third party tool for this.

What controller are you using anyway? I cant think of many that are too small to do more than 3 tracks at once.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

cubicle gangster posted:

You cant do this within live because it doesnt support midi layers yet, but you might be able to do it with your midi controller software. I know on the pad kontrol you can have 20 layouts on it, switching through with a button at the top. Instead of making the midi signal do something different, it makes each button send a different signal.

There may well be a third party tool for this.

What controller are you using anyway? I cant think of many that are too small to do more than 3 tracks at once.

cant he assign 2 tracks to the same controls with different channels? my controller switches between channels pretty swiftly.

also where the gently caress have you been you fag, broke my heart :smith:

stfu salad
Feb 28, 2005

"I created the universe, the automobile, and even your father's narrow urethra!"
I'm really riding the fence on ordering the M-Audio Axiom 25 off of Amazon for $160. I know it is in the OP, but can anyone else give me a nice run down of how it is working for them nowadays?

See, I'm a complete new fish in the digital music area and just got a copy of Ableton Live 6 to play around with. Should I go ahead and get a small MIDI controller or should I just get familiar with the software first?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Packed Tightly posted:

I'm using Ableton to DJ, and it works great with two tracks - I have enough buttons and knobs on my midi controller to do everything I want to do. I want to start branching out to more tracks (hopefully 4), but I'm running in to the problem of not having enough space left of my controller.

I've been looking for ages for how to do this, but I'm drawing a blank. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might accomplish this?

If your MIDI controller has "recall" functions, can't you just do it that way?

stfu salad posted:

I'm really riding the fence on ordering the M-Audio Axiom 25 off of Amazon for $160. I know it is in the OP, but can anyone else give me a nice run down of how it is working for them nowadays?

See, I'm a complete new fish in the digital music area and just got a copy of Ableton Live 6 to play around with. Should I go ahead and get a small MIDI controller or should I just get familiar with the software first?

You've just got yourself a MIDI controller. Can't remember what the features are on the Axiom 25 (I've got the 61) - but doesn't it have the drum pads and rotary controls? Try those out first...

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

stfu salad posted:

See, I'm a complete new fish in the digital music area

Are you completely new in terms of using a keyboard, too? If not, you might want to get something bigger (e.g. the Axiom 49).

Ableton gets a lot better with a means of control. Sure, at first you're fumbling around wondering what the hell you should assign things to, but then you discover how the Macro Map stuff works and you'll be hopping on your chair, giddy with the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Yoozer posted:

Are you completely new in terms of using a keyboard, too? If not, you might want to get something bigger (e.g. the Axiom 49).

Ableton gets a lot better with a means of control. Sure, at first you're fumbling around wondering what the hell you should assign things to, but then you discover how the Macro Map stuff works and you'll be hopping on your chair, giddy with the idea.

This, its one of those "WHY DIDNT I GET INTO THIS BEFORE" kind of things, when you finally aquire a controller.
You should in my opinion though get something with atleast 4 octaves, and plenty of knobs and faders. But dont get the Edirol PCR-50 because I did and my F#2 isnt working :smith:

• Locked thread