Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

drat, that's truely epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Apocron posted:

What does the curse do exactly?

One of three main possible effects, but the DM could've made up a new one just for Belkar. If you factor in the fact that it's a progressive curse instead of an instantaneous one, it might be even more severe.

* -6 decrease to an ability score (most likely Strength).
* -4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks.
* Each turn, the target has a 50% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no action.

Man I've been waiting for Belkar's comeuppance for so long. :)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I like Belkar and he's a funny addition, but drat if he hasn't had this coming on for ages. I also think it links very well with one of the points that was made earlier; Roy controlled Belkar and limited the damage he did to the world and (possibly) himself. Haley is smart and a decent leader, but she can't reign him in the same way.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Every single dull, slow, or pointless moment in this comic since Roy's death has just been redeemed thanks to the village of "Lickmyorangeballshalfling."

Goddrat, that was a brilliant setup/execution.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cog05 posted:

Guys, clearly Belkar was using a 4th Edition power when he stabbed the oracle.

The oracle was a minion, only 1 hp.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This has to be my favorite strip in the entire comic. There's a few others that come close, but this one is just awesome in so many ways.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
I'm not even mad about the lame-rear end Elan crap that's been going on, if this is what he's actually been using his brainpower for.

Looks like Team Haley just took a turn for the pacifist, though.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

But Belkar has had the most badass scene of the comic thus far (site's down, or I'd link to him killing like a hundred hobgoblins in one comic)
Not to turn this into a PYF thread, but I disagree.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
The new update is not for the faint of stomach.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Sefer posted:

The new update is not for the faint of stomach.

I am jacking that curse so hard for some future game. Puking forever is the best-worst thing I can think of.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh wow, it's so silly and childish and immature...and yet I can't seem to stop laughing about it. I really hope the plot continue to pick up pace, I'm really enjoying reading it again lately.

:barf:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

SlimGoodbody posted:

I am jacking that curse so hard for some future game. Puking forever is the best-worst thing I can think of.

And it would work so perfectly, no one would want to help you and everyone would know you were being punished.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I figured it'd just be a copout with Roy saying the activation code and thus deactivating it and having Shojo's automessage go like "Roy has now deactivated the mark" and the party realizing he's around and then him communicating in a psuedo-morse code by activating and deactivating the mark.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Affi posted:

I figured it'd just be a copout with Roy saying the activation code and thus deactivating it and having Shojo's automessage go like "Roy has now deactivated the mark" and the party realizing he's around and then him communicating in a psuedo-morse code by activating and deactivating the mark.

That would actually be pretty funny. Poor Belkar :v:

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Bah, that's sorta disappointing. It's just a lift of the Exalted "every time you open your mouth out come worms" spell. :/

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

wodin posted:

Bah, that's sorta disappointing. It's just a lift of the Exalted "every time you open your mouth out come worms" spell. :/

Which is a ripoff of Wormwood's wormspeakers if you think about it.

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

terminal mehmet posted:

Which is a ripoff of Wormwood's wormspeakers if you think about it.

And really, this might just be the tip of the iceberg for the curse. Next up Belkar could gain crippling arthritis.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Detetsu posted:

And really, this might just be the tip of the iceberg for the curse. Next up Belkar could gain crippling arthritis.

Why, then he'd just be ripping off old people!

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Awesome: nauseated was possibly the most humiliating status effect in 3.X.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
The new strip, she is up:

Belkar dodges another bullet.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Jesus Christ can we please just get the Order back together and move on with the plot?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Uh, that's what they're working on.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

terminal mehmet posted:

Uh, that's what they're working on.
Can it be worked on quicker, please? While it was great seeing Belkar get his comeuppance, even for a second, the party's been split for 86 drat strips now. That's more than long enough.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Bah, I'm rather disappointed with the 'hand wave' erase here. I was hoping that the memory enchantment would be gone. :\

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You're looking at it wrong.

The Oracle is a loving genius. Belkar killed him. The Oracle rigged it so that Belkar's mark activated. And now, Belkar has no idea that it's the mark that's making him sick. He won't go looking for a cleric to turn it off because he just doesn't know.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

He'll probably figure it out real quick the first time a remove disease spell fails to work. Which he'll definately go looking for once they reach a city, since he'll have been sick that whole time.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Calaveron posted:

Jesus Christ can we please just get the Order back together and move on with the plot?

There's so much complaining about OOTS its hard to imagine that there was any point where people actually liked it. What main plot are we actually talking about? The vague goal of 'stop Xykon'?

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Wolfsheim posted:

There's so much complaining about OOTS its hard to imagine that there was any point where people actually liked it. What main plot are we actually talking about? The vague goal of 'stop Xykon'?

The main plot where the entire party is in the same place, all alive, and working towards the same goal, vague though it may be.

And I don't hate this part, I just think that it would be nice if they eventually got past "Looking for Haley" and "Trying to get Roy revived" because it's starting to wear thin.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

This reminds me of when things were thick on plot and everyone was complaining that they couldn't wait for it to get back to light-hearted one-offs that were only lightly connected to the main plot again.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Oh well it still is my favorite storybased webcomic, and the last one made me laugh. I wonder if we'll see the party go to some dwarf country at some point. Belkar should be wondering whatever happened to his letter.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I like the slight nod at the rogue propensity to hoard outfits that never get used. In nearly every game I've run, I've had a rogue who will steal and buy outfits for disguises they may eventually want to use (nobleman, merchant, guard, professor, etc), and yet they remain in their leather armor for literally their entire gaming life.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

terminal mehmet posted:

This reminds me of when things were thick on plot and everyone was complaining that they couldn't wait for it to get back to light-hearted one-offs that were only lightly connected to the main plot again.

Hey pal, you got a complaint to lodge or what? Because if you don't I'm afraid you must leave the internet.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey pal, you got a complaint to lodge or what? Because if you don't I'm afraid you must leave the internet.

I just took a survey on my internet usage. Don't turn me into a liar!

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Renoistic posted:

Oh well it still is my favorite storybased webcomic, and the last one made me laugh. I wonder if we'll see the party go to some dwarf country at some point. Belkar should be wondering whatever happened to his letter.

I'd count on it. One of the gates (Kraagor's) is very likely in the dwarven lands, and we have yet to deal with Durkon's whole prophecy thing where returning to his homeland will spell doom for his people, plus the oracle said he'll return posthumously.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SlimGoodbody posted:

I like the slight nod at the rogue propensity to hoard outfits that never get used. In nearly every game I've run, I've had a rogue who will steal and buy outfits for disguises they may eventually want to use (nobleman, merchant, guard, professor, etc), and yet they remain in their leather armor for literally their entire gaming life.
That's what I like about the Dying Earth game; the rules assume that every character wants to go out of their way to eat good food, booze it up, gently caress, brag, and amuse themselves with petty arguments, and if you want to do otherwise you have to buy resistances to vice. And if you spend all your time eating iron rations and sleeping in your armor, your pools never refresh.

Um, new Parson's Klog, if anyone cares. Long wait, very little art in it.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Oh hey, new update!

It explains many things.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Oh thank the LORD that wasn't just a time-waster. What a loving relief. I strongly approve of where this has been and now appears to be going.

I wonder what Roy's going to recall from being dead, if anything.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I guess this does mean that Belkar is not going to get out of this as easily, in the long run.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Halloween Jack posted:

Um, new Parson's Klog, if anyone cares. Long wait, very little art in it.

It's kind of weird how OOTS has been updating more and Erfworld has been going glacially. Maybe they're actually done by the same person :tinfoil:

Though, seriously, if you can't update faster than Goblins, you need to rethink this webcomic thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

ZorbaTHut posted:

if you can't update faster than Goblins,

hey, Goblins has a guaranteed update on Friday! because he decided not to post the lastest two-pager all at once...