Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I finally beat a level 4 song. Yeah, I'm pretty much a pro now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.
I finally passed Setsugekka [a].

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I cleared the 5th Dan course. Still no AAAs, but Turning The Motor Over [H] is mocking me with my score 2 away from a AAA.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Lynx Winters posted:

I cleared the 5th Dan course. Still no AAAs, but Turning The Motor Over [H] is mocking me with my score 2 away from a AA.

Changed for me. :smith:

therealNeoS
Jul 13, 2001

Lynx Winters posted:

I cleared the 5th Dan course. Still no AAAs, but Turning The Motor Over [H] is mocking me with my score 2 away from a AAA.

Love me some Jeff Coote :buddy:

Laser Cruster [h] is just not fun sometimes, well, it's just the ending.

Anybody AAAed Scorpion Fire [h] yet?

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

therealNeoS posted:

Anybody AAAed Scorpion Fire [h] yet?

Nope but I managed to Hard Clear it a few days ago, only got 6 11s left to Hard clear in GOLD.

Also as those who have been checking bemanistyle daily for updates (like me) would know location tests for IIDX16 have been announced. New IIDX is EMPRESS.

http://www.konami.jp/am/locationtest/2dx16/

And the first location test is... TOMORROW. Is it just me or is Konami really enjoying keeping a lid on things until the last minute lately?

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

Fishious posted:

And the first location test is... TOMORROW. Is it just me or is Konami really enjoying keeping a lid on things until the last minute lately?

They did that with GOLD's and TROOPERS' location tests too - the loctests have always been a day or two after the initial announcement.

I'm excited! I don't want to judge the entire game on the splash image - It's pink as hell, at any rate.

Booker Z
Dec 12, 2007

SHINING WIZARD

Hahahaha, this logo is amazing.

~*empress*~

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

more like

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
They may as well call it GOLD Ver.B

CORGI ORGY
Feb 26, 2007

Silhouette posted:

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Holy poo poo. That's frigging pink.

EDIT: Considering it took them 15 games to finally have a Green theme I guess this explains why it took so long. "After we use green we have to make it totally gay poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo."

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 24, 2008

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Hahahhahahaa that theme is loving hilarious. I suppose they haven't had a purposely gay theme yet.

Why "empress"? The only girls I've seen playing IIDX are random asian chicks at pmall who suck horribly, and some of my friends who are equally bad.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Zo posted:

Hahahhahahaa that theme is loving hilarious. I suppose they haven't had a purposely gay theme yet.

Why "empress"? The only girls I've seen playing IIDX are random asian chicks at pmall who suck horribly, and some of my friends who are equally bad.

More girls play in Japan than you'd think, actually. Most I've seen are pretty good.

Also, one of the best players (at least top 3, I'd say) in the US is a girl.

Diggy Mo
Oct 12, 2006
I hope this theme is not an excuse to put poor generic Jpop on the songlist.

Red Rocket Rising and Honey Punch was decent on Gold, but Treasure Heart, Guilt and Love, High School Love, that Japanese Yoshitaka song? Ugh.

More Osamu Kubota and Akira Yamaoka.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Booker Z posted:

Hahahaha, this logo is amazing.

~*empress*~

Wooooooow.

Well, this ought to be interesting. Female voice saying hard queer?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Code Jockey posted:

Wooooooow.

Well, this ought to be interesting. Female voice saying hard queer?

I'm more looking forward to a IIDX Butterfly remix. They can't not do it with that logo.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Zo posted:

I'm more looking forward to a IIDX Butterfly remix. They can't not do it with that logo.
Well, they did have Butterfly (Delaction Remix) in a recent Pop'n style, but who knows if Konami still has the license or is interested in re-acquiring it since it didn't show up in either DDR Supernova.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Xythar posted:

Also, one of the best players (at least top 3, I'd say) in the US is a girl.

CStarFlare?

Fusbolito McGiggola
Dec 21, 2005
I'm just getting pissed at myself now. I've been stuck on 11s now for 3 styles, and it feels like I could break through, given enough effort, but repeating songs ad infinitum just isn't for me. The only 12s I've managed to beat are Innocent Walls [h] and Concertino in Blue [a].

And still some 11s escape me, like Laser Cruster[h].

Does anyone have any experience with going back and relearning the way they play? I'm currently only using my left hand for 1 and 2, and my right hand for the rest, and I'm pretty sure it's holding me back, but :effort:

If someone else has had experience re-training themselves, I'd love to hear about it, whether it was worth it, etc.

Also, IIDX Empress, heh. Butterfly -Delaction Remix- would only be the tip of the iceberg.

therealNeoS
Jul 13, 2001

Dewgy posted:

CStarFlare?

Last I heard CSta lived in North Dakota and was a guy.

He's good at IIDX because what else is there to do in ND?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Dewgy posted:

CStarFlare?

No, Krystal/Schala/Garnet/Nebel/whatever the heck she calls herself this week

For example, see:
http://iidx.cc/cs/wr/view.cgi?no=3&mode=7a

or the fact that she 100k'd Nightmare Carousel EX in Pop'n.

Really I only even put the "top 3" qualifier in because I don't know if Ryry/Ryan2dx/Madek or Jadin/Hood are currently better or not, due to the fact that the best players seem to randomly private their scores on a daily basis to the point where any kind of objective comparison is very difficult if not impossible.

edit: I believe she's also hard cleared everything, including Mei [a]

Xythar fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 24, 2008

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Diggy Mo posted:

Red Rocket Rising and Honey Punch was decent on Gold, but Treasure Heart, Guilt and Love, High School Love, that Japanese Yoshitaka song? Ugh.

More Osamu Kubota and Akira Yamaoka.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK. :mad: High School Love is awesome, and the notechart for Treasure x Heart is loving fantastic. Red Rocket Rising and Honey Punch were the lovely J-Pop songs of GOLD.

And after watching the beatnation Live Summit DVD, I hate Akira Yamaoka. A lot. He just seems like a huge douchebag.

And I want an IIDX version of Butterfly ~Upswing~ from DDR 3rd Mix for Empress please. :3

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

No way, Akira Yamaoka is the best. His set was the most entertaining by far.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I absolutely love the 'Empress' logo.

And High School Love was great in PnM 14.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Xythar posted:

No, Krystal/Schala/Garnet/Nebel/whatever the heck she calls herself this week

For example, see:
http://iidx.cc/cs/wr/view.cgi?no=3&mode=7a

or the fact that she 100k'd Nightmare Carousel EX in Pop'n.

Really I only even put the "top 3" qualifier in because I don't know if Ryry/Ryan2dx/Madek or Jadin/Hood are currently better or not, due to the fact that the best players seem to randomly private their scores on a daily basis to the point where any kind of objective comparison is very difficult if not impossible.

edit: I believe she's also hard cleared everything, including Mei [a]

please leave this kind of lovely discussion on boards like VJA and bemanistyle so i don't have to see it :-(

pollinosis
Jun 9, 2006
gesundheit4u
Does anyone have tips on how to stop controller keys from sticking? I've wiped the tray and keys with a wet paper towel and tried using both cereal box cardboard and a credit card for the cut outs inside the plungers.

It seems really random as to which keys stick. Right now, the 2, 4, and 5 keys are sticking. Before I opened it and cleaned it out (again), keys 1-4 and 7 would get stuck. I really have no clue what to do now besides starting to save up for an ASC.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

pollinosis posted:

Does anyone have tips on how to stop controller keys from sticking? I've wiped the tray and keys with a wet paper towel and tried using both cereal box cardboard and a credit card for the cut outs inside the plungers.

It seems really random as to which keys stick. Right now, the 2, 4, and 5 keys are sticking. Before I opened it and cleaned it out (again), keys 1-4 and 7 would get stuck. I really have no clue what to do now besides starting to save up for an ASC.

You could get one of the US controllers, they stick less.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

pollinosis posted:

Save up to get an ASC, the US controller feels like total mush. I've completely ruined myself for home controllers since playing in the arcade and I find an ASC much more comfortable to play too, like I can play for a LOT longer without my hands/wrists starting to hurt.

In the meantime, there's a lot you can do to stop sticking like key shaving, greasing, etc, etc, etc. Also look into a de-humidifier because if it's hot and sticky the controller's gonna stick. Some decent tips over here on VJA, even if some of them are kinda old: http://vjarmy.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.
You can play a lot longer without your wrists hurting? That's really strange. A properly-modified KOC will always take much less force to push down than arcade keys with microswitches.

No offense, but I recommend not listening to Dewgy.

Just shave the edges of the keys with a razorblade.

Some of us feel like spending a lot of money on an ASC, you don't have to. Besides, my Dao ASC gets sticky keys too. The problem doesn't ever just go away.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Giudecca posted:

You can play a lot longer without your wrists hurting? That's really strange. A properly-modified KOC will always take much less force to push down than arcade keys with microswitches.

It's about controller height and wrist position actually. I have to have my hands "floating" over a KOC of any kind because the keys sit well above the table I have the controller on (by about an inch, give or take, but the ASC or the actual arcade panel lets me actually rest my hands and forearms on something since there's a larger playing surface, making it a much more comfortable and less stressful position to keep my hands in for hours at a time. It's called "ergonomics", I recommend looking into it sometime.

If you seriously think keypress weight is adding any tangible kind of stress you're a loving pussy. You're not going to kill yourself on 0.5g pushbuttons. :eng101:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Giudecca posted:

Some of us feel like spending a lot of money on an ASC, you don't have to. Besides, my Dao ASC gets sticky keys too. The problem doesn't ever just go away.

Xythar posted:

You could get one of the US controllers, they stick less.

I'm confused. Does it have to do with high level play that makes all controllers stick? I know that the Japanese KOCs tend to stick from time to time, but my US controller never sticked and it got like a year and a half of use. However, that year and a half was me working up my way to passing half of the 8s from beginner, instead of playing 14s all day or whatever it is you guys do.

Dewgy posted:

It's called "ergonomics", I recommend looking into it sometime.

That sounds a lot more like a problem with the height of your table than KOCs.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

helopticor posted:

That sounds a lot more like a problem with the height of your table than KOCs.

It's not really. There's like a foot of extra space in the arcade that's pretty much level with the keys, as opposed to a smaller controller where the keys are always an inch above the table.

Also I have a US KOC and it's never stuck once, so it works OK, it just hurts my wrists really quick because of the height issue. Maybe it doesn't matter so much to other people because of playstyle, but for me it makes a huge difference. It's hard to relax when you don't have a comfortable way to rest your wrists.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

helopticor posted:

I'm confused. Does it have to do with high level play that makes all controllers stick? I know that the Japanese KOCs tend to stick from time to time, but my US controller never sticked and it got like a year and a half of use. However, that year and a half was me working up my way to passing half of the 8s from beginner, instead of playing 14s all day or whatever it is you guys do.

It's a combination of high level play and controller design. More often you press keys = more chances of it sticking. The US controller is better designed to avoid the sticking issue than the old KOC. My Konami ASC hasn't stuck on me yet either.

Also, I just realized that now the tag for this thread is very appropriate. :v:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kimcicle posted:

Also, I just realized that now the tag for this thread is very appropriate. :v:

Between the Empress logo and MY BUTANS I totally agree. :laugh: I love my USKOC, but my experience with JKOCs is pretty limited.

So I guess I'm not alone getting wrist pains after extended play. That's usually what gets me and the only reason I end up stopping playing most nights - my goddamn right wrist starts getting badly fatigued. I notice it's way less when I play two handed, though, which is understandable. Play height is an issue and I think I'm going to buy a cheap keyboard stand this weekend, I've been playing while sitting down on the floor with the KOC at half-chest level on the coffee table, and I can usually go for an hour to an hour and a half playing 5/6s before I have to take a break.

I've been taking the advice of this thread and playing more "open" two handed - not dedicated fingers to keys, just keeping a mental image of where the keys are and playing whatever buttons with whatever fingers. It's harder, but I'm finding that once I get into the right groove it's way better. Holy crap. I'm getting through patterns I would get eaten alive playing fixed two hand / one handed.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Dewgy posted:

It's about controller height and wrist position actually. I have to have my hands "floating" over a KOC of any kind because the keys sit well above the table I have the controller on (by about an inch, give or take, but the ASC or the actual arcade panel lets me actually rest my hands and forearms on something since there's a larger playing surface, making it a much more comfortable and less stressful position to keep my hands in for hours at a time. It's called "ergonomics", I recommend looking into it sometime.

If you seriously think keypress weight is adding any tangible kind of stress you're a loving pussy. You're not going to kill yourself on 0.5g pushbuttons. :eng101:

I play on my PC, which is normally equipped with a recliner for TF2/Starcraft/etc.

But when I turn on IIDX, I have to switch to a steel folding chair or it's not fun to play at all because my wrists are too low when I'm playing in the recliner on my lap.

Playing on your lap is also not recommended, but if you can get it to the right wrist height and sit up straight it's not a handicap.

I used to play on a bar stool with a table an inch or so above my knees, that was perfect for my height. But now that I've been on my lap for a while I can play either style.

But yeah, ergonomics and wrist height are super important. There's plenty of songs I can barely pass in the recliner that I do great on in the steel folding chair.

US KOCs own don't waste your money on a box of buttons.

Mod the buttons though, no razorblades jsut some cardboard underneath...c'est magnifique.

*~EMPRESS~*

Mint Mania IIDX
Aug 21, 2007

by Fragmaster

Elephunk posted:

*~EMPRESS~*
The interface is so sparkly pink, and I love it. Also, THE SHINING POLARIS -kors k mix-. Read that a couple of times, and let it set in.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Mint Mania IIDX posted:

The interface is so sparkly pink, and I love it. Also, THE SHINING POLARIS -kors k mix-. Read that a couple of times, and let it set in.
Did I miss a link in this thread? If there's any videos I'd certainly love to see them. (I don't hang around the other IIDX forums to get 'em)

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

Did I miss a link in this thread? If there's any videos I'd certainly love to see them. (I don't hang around the other IIDX forums to get 'em)

Be prepared to squint.

And then some loctest videos:

V2 [h]
smooooch [h]

HAZARD MODE is a forced hard life bar that is flashing. The second you break combo you instantly fail. Oni mode meets IIDX. Anothers were not available in Standard or Free mode, but they were avilable in HAZARD MODE...which is sort of a problem, since you know, break combo and fail. B4U and V2 did not have anothers in HAZARD MODE.

(all this stuff is copy/paste from elsewhere on the internets)

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 25, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Squint indeed, blimey. Thanks though! I know there are at least a couple others here who don't follow VJA/BMS.