Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

guppy posted:

Also, GNV FLA is out today :) Bought it off Amazon MP3 this morning. Very good, much better than the last couple. Standout track is clearly "Does The Lion City Still Roar?" but there's a lot of great stuff on it.

Didn't get it at the show? It was only $10.

The Ft. Lauderdale show only got SL, Mustard Plug and LTJ. I'd like to see Goldfinger, never seen them live and don't like them enough to go to one of their headlining tours.

Half of SL and Mustard Plug were walking around talking to people after they played. I didn't stay after LTJ was done, but JR and Buddy generally talk to the crowd, and sometimes Vinnie comes out a lot later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
Goldfinger are still doing the Twinkie thing? Like, in 2008? Egh.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Didn't get it at the show? It was only $10.
I didn't, and probably should have.

Vinnie was saying that he was going to reduce the price to $1 because "no one is buying the drat thing." Not sure if he was joking or not.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I support LTJ probably more than any other band. I believe I own every full-length CD they have (including Greased and the first Goodbye Blue & White) as well as random merch. I'm really really pissed I didn't buy the evo kid/mickey mouse shirt at the FL Friends tour.

Oh, and drat you brits.

The bonus track you get isn't that bad either (Antidote for the Underdog). It leans a bit more into a IWOTC sound, but it would have been the second best song on IWOTC if it was on there (behind PS Shock the World). http://youtube.com/watch?v=0drzb_F_Sbs

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 25, 2008

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Well it seems the Warped Tour has out done themselves again. Someone managed to walk backstage and walk out with Aarron Barrets new Epiphone guitar. Seems like there isn't even a reason to have security there.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

guppy posted:

Westbound Train - Very good but not a good choice for this tour. Way more traditional ska than the other three, which is fine and all but it's not what most of the crowd came to see. Still, I thought they were really good and I'm gonna look into their albums.

Might I recomend "Transitions", I think it's a lot better the "Five to Two"
Other bands alone the lines of Westbound Train would be Eastern Standard Time, and Go Jimmy Go!, so chech them out while you're at it

e: fixed poor choice of words

Backno fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 25, 2008

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Backno posted:

They're both very good albums and each has its own killer tracks. Get them both.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Oh, and drat you brits.

The bonus track you get isn't that bad either (Antidote for the Underdog). It leans a bit more into a IWOTC sound, but it would have been the second best song on IWOTC if it was on there (behind PS Shock the World). http://youtube.com/watch?v=0drzb_F_Sbs
Yeah, I am irritated that it isn't on the U.S. version. I don't really get why they do things like this.

I too am not big on IWTOC, but I think the best track off it is "A Still Life Franchise."

mix.lunar posted:

Well it seems the Warped Tour has out done themselves again. Someone managed to walk backstage and walk out with Aarron Barrets new Epiphone guitar. Seems like there isn't even a reason to have security there.
Oh that is loving ridiculous.

Backno posted:

Noted, thank you

The Banana Pee
Feb 16, 2007

Bana - not long enough. Bananana - dammit!
*Shudders* I am ashamed for liking ska now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/switch/them/joe.shtml

SinSalvador
Dec 27, 2007

The Banana Pee posted:

*Shudders* I am ashamed for liking ska now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/switch/them/joe.shtml

We haven't really got anything resembling a ska scene where I live, but is it typical for people who listen to ska to go out of their way with the whole ska-fashion like these people? I don't have a problem with wearing scene-specific clothing, but what they do seems excessive.

In other words, will I be beaten up at Ska Weekend for not wearing a porkpie hat?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

SinSalvador posted:

We haven't really got anything resembling a ska scene where I live, but is it typical for people who listen to ska to go out of their way with the whole ska-fashion like these people? I don't have a problem with wearing scene-specific clothing, but what they do seems excessive.

In other words, will I be beaten up at Ska Weekend for not wearing a porkpie hat?

At least that kid recognized The Specials and Madness. Rest of it was poo poo, though.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

SinSalvador posted:

no one there will give a poo poo.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Actually there was a kid at LTJ/Suburban last night who was trying entirely too hard. Porkpie hat with jewfro poking out, mutton chops, square glasses, a blazer on with patches of every ska band ever sewed on, argyle socks and chucks. Did I mention everything was checkered? We're talking third wave goofy bastard ska kid, mind you, not first wave trying-to-be-mod chic.

I wanted to deck him. Sometimes I'll throw on one or two "ska" items with checkers (belt, boxers, bandanna, etc) but I don't particularly dress up for shows (well, at least the shows that i'm not playing in), and if anything, I wear clothes that are easy to dance and skank in. You'll find the kids with the "perfect" outfits in any scene, though, and its just a sign of them trying too hard, so don't feel bad in the slightest.

edit: Granted this IS the ska thread but THREE SM avatars? hahahaha

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

So, can anyone list all the music in that video? It pains me to say that I only recognized about five of them.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

First song was a lovely cover of some song I forget.

Second one is Madness - Baggy Trousers. Third is The Specials - Ghost Town. Then they replayed Baggy Trousers again.

Then I guess some song by RBF, I don't listen to them so I don't know what it was. Then some other lovely third wave band. Another lovely third wave band. Don't know what the next one is. Embarrassing cover of Ghostbusters. Some other poo poo.

Madness - Our House is next for some reason, not really that much of a ska song.

That kid sucked, though.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Mike_V posted:

First song was a lovely cover of some song I forget.

Second one is Madness - Baggy Trousers. Third is The Specials - Ghost Town. Then they replayed Baggy Trousers again.

Then I guess some song by RBF, I don't listen to them so I don't know what it was. Then some other lovely third wave band. Another lovely third wave band. Don't know what the next one is. Embarrassing cover of Ghostbusters. Some other poo poo.

The first one is brown eyed girl I think.

One of the songs was mighty mighty bosstones.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

It was terribly painful to watch that video. His whole discourse about hats made me cringe. White hat for happy ska like Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake? Ugh.

Mike_V posted:

That kid sucked, though.

Seriously. I was barely able to listen to how he described the music. Did he even mention Jamaica once?

Nine Lives
Feb 28, 2008

Day in, day out
That whole show is bullshit. "Ska people = this" is the wierdest poo poo I've ever heard. Maybe it's because I live on the Texas coast, but no one here does any of that poo poo despite the fact the ska/reggae are huge here.

gently caress that kid.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

edit: Granted this IS the ska thread but THREE SM avatars? hahahaha

I think we got 3 SM and 1 BOTAR in this thread.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Well I was bored so I tried to pick out the songs and ignore his voice.

Also he was completely wrong in his commentary of She has a girlfriend now by RBF. Bastard.

Anyway here's what I got so far:

1 - ?
2 - ? Baggy Trousers maybe
3 - The Specials - Ghost Town
4 - Madness - Baggy Trousers
5 - Reel Big Fish - She Has a Girlfriend Now
6 - No idea
7 - Goldfinger - Superman
8 - No clue something about spray on trousers
9 - His band I guess
10 - Might still be his band in a different song
11 - Ghostbusters cover possibly by Attaboy Skip
12 - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - You Gotta Go
13 - Madness - Our House

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
pretty much the only "ska" items I own are black & white checkerd vans, belt, and a generic ska t-shirt. If I am going to a show I wear shorts, random band t-shirt and some shoe other then the vans so I can actually skank (drat you arthritis :argh: ).

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I browsed the list in the OP for new-to-me bands, and I have fallen in love with I Voted For Kodos. I was shocked to see Amazon MP3 had a couple of their albums.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

guppy posted:

I browsed the list in the OP for new-to-me bands, and I have fallen in love with I Voted For Kodos. I was shocked to see Amazon MP3 had a couple of their albums.

Loved these guys. Shame I never got to see them.

Electric Pez
May 12, 2008
My first concerts was Less Than Jake. I love that band. I have seen Reel Big Fish, Catch 22, Streetlight Manifesto, Voodoo Glow Skulls, and a couple more that escape me at the moment.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

The LTJ/Goldfinger show was awesome.

Suburban Legends was fun, I especially liked their version of "I Can't Wait To Be King" from The Jungle Book.

Westbound Train was really chill, and a good break to chill out before LTJ came out.

Less Than Jake was wicked high energy and cool, the mosh pit formed in the main area of Lupo's and didn't cease until the band was talking about whatever, also they played a version of "The Rest of my Life" and it sounded a helluva lot better than the original track.

Goldfinger was really crazy, they played a lot of mostly old stuff, but the little...uh..act with the twinkie was interesting, and when the guy asked everyone who knew the lyrics to Mable to come on stage was really cool.

All in all a really cool show, I talked to a buncha guys from Westbound and Suburban Legends, had some of the SL guys sign there autographs, and talked with, I think, the keyboardist from Westbound.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
Wow, GNV FLA is a massive improvement on IWTOC, I'm loving the return of the horns. The two opening tracks are loving awesome especially.

That kid on the BBC site reminded me of something I found on Youtube recently and remember seeing, so I figured you guys might get a kick out of it. Colgate Blue Minty Gel! http://youtube.com/watch?v=PZVHXRs-kG0

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Thornes posted:

Well I was bored so I tried to pick out the songs and ignore his voice.

Also he was completely wrong in his commentary of She has a girlfriend now by RBF. Bastard.

Anyway here's what I got so far:

1 - ?
2 - ? Baggy Trousers maybe
3 - The Specials - Ghost Town
4 - Madness - Baggy Trousers
5 - Reel Big Fish - She Has a Girlfriend Now
6 - No idea
7 - Goldfinger - Superman
8 - No clue something about spray on trousers
9 - His band I guess
10 - Might still be his band in a different song
11 - Ghostbusters cover possibly by Attaboy Skip
12 - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - You Gotta Go
13 - Madness - Our House

First song is Brown Eyed Girl cover by Skatalica. I'm pretty sure 10 (the background song when they're talking about his band name) is the Skatalites, I know I've heard it before but I can never remember Skatalites song names. Song #6 is a mystery, sounds a bit like Big D but I really doubt it is.

And I just was looking through the first list, when the hell did The Stray Bullets break up? I'm disappointed, they were great.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!

First song is Brown Eyed Girl cover by Skatalica. I'm pretty sure 10 (the background song when they're talking about his band name) is the Skatalites, I know I've heard it before but I can never remember Skatalites song names. Song #6 is a mystery, sounds a bit like Big D but I really doubt it is.

And I just was looking through the first list, when the hell did The Stray Bullets break up? I'm disappointed, they were great.

6 is Capdown - Cousin Cleotis

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Sandwolf posted:

Goldfinger was really crazy, they played a lot of mostly old stuff, but the little...uh..act with the twinkie was interesting, and when the guy asked everyone who knew the lyrics to Mable to come on stage was really cool.
Providence, by chance? Goldfinger played loving Anxiety and I lost my poo poo. I'm not really into them and hadn't seen them live since around 2001 or so but I'm glad they put on a great show and they reminded me of why it is I used to love them as much as I did.

rear end Twinkie is a bit that never gets old but the dude in Providenec seemed a bit too pumped about it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sugar Blaster posted:

Providence, by chance? Goldfinger played loving Anxiety and I lost my poo poo. I'm not really into them and hadn't seen them live since around 2001 or so but I'm glad they put on a great show and they reminded me of why it is I used to love them as much as I did.

rear end Twinkie is a bit that never gets old but the dude in Providenec seemed a bit too pumped about it.

Haha, Anxiety was loving amazing and I loved how the crowd got so pumped for it.

But yeah, Carlos(?) really wanted to eat the twinkie out of that guys rear end.

I also enjoyed the song telling Ted Nugent to gently caress off.

Also, were you wearing the Streetlight shirt with the guy from your custom title?

Calavera
May 12, 2008

god's way of telling you no.
Oh sweet jesus, I wish I had known about this thread sooner. I used to be really into ska, but have tapered off into the indie genre. I personally know a lot of bands (or at least a member of them) from my days of hanging around I Voted For Kodos (they were like brothers to me). They gave me some of the best years of my life. Because of them letting me sell their merch and tagging along on their shows, I made friends with Mustard Plug, Obi from Westbound Train, Deal's Gone Bad, The Drastics, and many many others. I also got pissed-drunk to the point of puking with Reel Big Fish.

Unfortunately, ska isn't cool anymore, so a lot of people don't know who the hell I'm talking about when I tell band stories. :colbert:

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Calavera posted:

Unfortunately, ska isn't cool anymore, so a lot of people don't know who the hell I'm talking about when I tell band stories. :colbert:

It's okay my brother, we're here for you!

Calavera
May 12, 2008

Thornes posted:

It's okay my sister, we're here for you!

I'm a girl, which is why I suspect I know most of these guys in the first place. By the way, I know you're thinking it, and NO, I'm not the groupie sort. Seriously.

But thanks!! I'm happy to have found this thread. :j:

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Calavera posted:

I'm a girl, which is why I suspect I know most of these guys in the first place. By the way, I know you're thinking it, and NO, I'm not the groupie sort. Seriously.

But thanks!! I'm happy to have found this thread. :j:

You know, when I was writing that reply I was thinking "maybe I should add 'or sister' just in case"

Of course the one time I don't write that is the one time I should have.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Calavera posted:

I used to be really into ska, but have tapered off into the indie genre.

When did indie become a genre? Not really picking on you, but I've always know it as a band/group he got little to no recognition, yet were very good. But people now-a-day's talk about it like it's a certain sound you have to achieve. Did I miss the memo or something?

Calavera
May 12, 2008

Forgive me, I'm pretty sure I meant "scene" or something similar/stupid. I guess really what it boils down to is that the music I listen to now sounds nothing like ska.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Nah, it's not just you. I hear a lot of people say it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

mix.lunar posted:

Nah, it's not just you. I hear a lot of people say it.

That's because indie is now a genre of music. If someone says they listen to indie music, I have a good idea of what they mean. If you want to talk about independent bands/labels you now have to say the full word or risk people think you're talking about Of Montreal or whoever.

Nine Lives
Feb 28, 2008

Day in, day out
I really dig the sound of Westbound Train, who I found through this thread, can you guys recommend me similar bands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Nine Lives posted:

I really dig the sound of Westbound Train, who I found through this thread, can you guys recommend me similar bands?

Deals Gone Bad are pretty similar and they're an awesome band. I think their latest cd The Ramblers is probably their best. You'd probably enjoy Go Jimmy Go and the Stingers ATX too. I'd also recommend the Aggrolites, they aren't too much like Westbound but they're killer and people who like Westbound normally like them from my experience.