Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Load up a bog-standard but energetic bouncy pop song. Put the "Fade to Grey" effects rack over it. Assign one of the knobs on the keyboard to the wet/dry rotary on screen. Set it to dry.

Play the song.

Turn the knob after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
That could be the coolest DJ trick ever. Holy crap I need to drop Traktor like a hot potato.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Can someone please tell me what a "pad" synth is? What about a "lead" synth?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Pads do what they mean - they provide padding. It fills up the mix. There's lots of different sounds that are called "pads" on synthesizers and plugins. A pad sound generally needs a few seconds to fade in and to fade out again.

A lead can be either a sound in the vintage connotation - monophonic, maybe with a little bit of portamento, and powerful enough to do soloing. Anything bright enough that cuts through the mix can function as one.

All these definitions are amorphous, soft and up to personal interpretation, though.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Yoozer posted:

Load up a bog-standard but energetic bouncy pop song. Put the "Fade to Grey" effects rack over it. Assign one of the knobs on the keyboard to the wet/dry rotary on screen. Set it to dry.

Play the song.

Turn the knob after a while.
My favorite ableton live trick is to set the grid on beat repeat to a knob, and the "on" and "no triplets" to buttons, and make a techstep remix of whatever the gently caress I want whenever I want.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Thanks man, I've got it now. Another thing, can someone please write up a step by step for making a good "hard" kick sound? I can't nail it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Its hard to have a catchall hard kick, as different situations call for different things. If I was making one, I'd make like gabber kicked that was distorted to all hell and resembled a sign wave. You can really gently caress with the sound of a kick with some slight eqing. Add a little to the high-mids, and it'll get punchier. Boost the really low frequencies (~30hz iirc) and you will feel the bass rumble of the kick. And it really depends on the kicks context with respect to all the other instruments that are going on.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
I want it to be like the kick in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b9ZpZoGZKM

Also, how do I make a sound like the bass sound that happens between the kicks? I think it's side chained to the kick, and I think it's just a note held down while the side chain effects it, but how is that original note created? Synth? How would I do that?

Here's another example, it kicks in at :24 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0leFvyLEF8&feature=related

OMGWTFAOLBBQ fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 26, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Another thing, can someone please write up a step by step for making a good "hard" kick sound? I can't nail it.

Leave it to someone else.

Seriously, I know I suck at kicks, so I just gave up and bought Vengeance Essential Club Sounds. Very useful pre-compressed pre-EQd kicks.

Yes, it's lazyness. Oh well, as long as the rest is mine. I'll eventually learn and replace it.

The bass sound in your example is probably not held down but triggered every time. There are a lot of approaches to this. You can take a clean bass sound and throw it through a distortion, and you're already close - of course, a lot will depend on the character of the original and the distortion. You'll however be surprised at how much will already be good enough to do the job.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 26, 2008

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Yeah I saw that link, is there any other website I can get that from? I don't speak German.

Also, what is a "one shot"?

OMGWTFAOLBBQ fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 26, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
http://www.mutekki.com/shop/product_info.php/info/p169_Vengeance-Essential-Club-Sounds-Vol-2.html/XTCsid/475a869daff35eb6977759b548c93f6c

Here's an English version where you can order:

http://www.vengeance-sound.com/eng/indexFLASH.html and there's the English version of the Vengeance site.

breaks
May 12, 2001

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Also, what is a "one shot"?

A sample that is intended to be played through once. Like a single drum. Drums are usually where you hear this, to differentiate them from drum loop samples.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
This is going to sound really stupid, but how do I add distortion to something with Live? The only synth I have is Analog.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Live has got a distortion plugin somewhere, look in the effects. I know there is a bitcrusher/ratereducer (redux or something like that) which is one kind of distortion... There are lots of different types of distortion though, it may or may not do what you want.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

This is going to sound really stupid, but how do I add distortion to something with Live? The only synth I have is Analog.

There's the icon that looks like a clapperboard - this only has Live plugins. There's also an icon looking like a plugin - and you can use VST plugins that way. These http://www.simulanalog.org/ are some nice ones for distortion. Just copy the dll files to the VST plugin folder (Options > Preferences > File/Folder) - that's basically what a VST setup.exe does.

Distortion is not called that way in Live - you have the Saturator effect for this.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

breaks posted:

A sample that is intended to be played through once. Like a single drum. Drums are usually where you hear this, to differentiate them from drum loop samples.
Okay, I get it. Thanks!

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Yoozer posted:

There's the icon that looks like a clapperboard - this only has Live plugins. There's also an icon looking like a plugin - and you can use VST plugins that way. These http://www.simulanalog.org/ are some nice ones for distortion. Just copy the dll files to the VST plugin folder (Options > Preferences > File/Folder) - that's basically what a VST setup.exe does.

Distortion is not called that way in Live - you have the Saturator effect for this.
The only thing I can find on that page is the SimulAnalog Guitar Suite, is that what you're talking about?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

ManoliIsFat posted:

My favorite ableton live trick is to set the grid on beat repeat to a knob, and the "on" and "no triplets" to buttons, and make a techstep remix of whatever the gently caress I want whenever I want.

Assigning a button for the hold function works wonders for that too.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

The only thing I can find on that page is the SimulAnalog Guitar Suite, is that what you're talking about?

Yeah. It's got several stompbox distortions in software form.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

glitchkrieg posted:

Assigning a button for the hold function works wonders for that too.
That's what i meant, not the "device on" button.

Also assigning a knob to pitch decay.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ if you're gonna make hardcore, I'd suggest not investing in a drum pack. There's a bunch of free ones (the names all escape me for the moment), but you're gonna be distorting and compressing the kick so much, I don't think its worth it. You can really take nearly any kick and make it hardcore.

And ya, the synth isn't side chained, it's just short and trigged after each kick. That's a good trick to get a hardcore song moving, you put the synths between the kicks.

It'd look like this:
code:
bass: - x - x - x - x
kick: x - x - x - x -
      1 - 2 - 3 - 4 -

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://www.yfinder.de/driven/index.php/2007/07/14/10_kick_samples_for_download

I've made a couple of my self-made kicks available, you could probably use those as a starting point for what I heard in your youtube video.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

wayfinder posted:

I've made a couple of my self-made kicks available, you could probably use those as a starting point for what I heard in your youtube video.

Cheers for that, I'm going to give them a whirl.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

ManoliIsFat posted:

OMGWTFAOLBBQ if you're gonna make hardcore, I'd suggest not investing in a drum pack. There's a bunch of free ones (the names all escape me for the moment), but you're gonna be distorting and compressing the kick so much, I don't think its worth it. You can really take nearly any kick and make it hardcore.

And ya, the synth isn't side chained, it's just short and trigged after each kick. That's a good trick to get a hardcore song moving, you put the synths between the kicks.

It'd look like this:
code:
bass: - x - x - x - x
kick: x - x - x - x -
      1 - 2 - 3 - 4 -
Dude, you just helped me out so much. Any other tips you can give me for making hardcore? Here's a question: Every other kick has a sound on top of it that makes it different. Is it a snare? A closed high hat? How do I make that sound? Also, what do you mean by compressing and distorting the kick?

Can someone please point me in the right direction for those free drum packs?

OMGWTFAOLBBQ fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 26, 2008

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
Anyone have tips on how to make that wooden throbbing noise that Crookers make in their To Protect and Entertain remix? I've gotten close with Massive (Additive V Bend/-), but I've been wondering if anyone knows better. It's the synth at the drop if you're wondering.

IanTheM fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 26, 2008

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Dude, you just helped me out so much. Any other tips you can give me for making hardcore? Here's a question: Every other kick has a sound on top of it that makes it different.
If I had to

code:
open hats:   - x - - - x - - 
closed hats: x - x - x - x -
snare:       - - x - x - x - 
kick:        x - x - x - x -

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 -
I'm not too sure about those hats (i don't know why i suck so bad at telling if they're on the beat or the "and") but it sounds like the snare is pitched and slowed down a little to make it hit harder and not be so snappy. Just play around with it, hardcore drums aren't too technical.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

ManoliIsFat posted:

If I had to

code:
snare:       - - x - x - x - 

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 -
I'm not too sure about those hats (i don't know why i suck so bad at telling if they're on the beat or the "and") but it sounds like the snare is pitched and slowed down a little to make it hit harder and not be so snappy. Just play around with it, hardcore drums aren't too technical.
I think it's:

code:
Snare X - - - X - - - X - - - X
Kick  X - X - X - X - X - X - X
But I can't make it sound right. gently caress!

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

ManoliIsFat posted:

If I had to

code:
snare:       - - x - - - x - 

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 -
Did you mean this?

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
From a quick listen it sounds to me a bit like this:
code:
ride cymb:   x - - - x - - - x - - - x - - -  
open hats:   - - x - - - x - - - x - - - x - 
closed hats: - x - - - x - - - x - - - x - -
snare:       - - - - x - - - - - - - x - - -
kick:        x - - - x - - - x - - - x - - -
             1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I think it's:

code:
Snare X - - - X - - - X - - - X
Kick  X - X - X - X - X - X - X
But I can't make it sound right. gently caress!
ya i messed up. yes the snare falls on every other kick. upload a sample of what it sounds like, i'll try to help.

Xarb posted:

From a quick listen it sounds to me a bit like this:
code:
ride cymb:   x - - - x - - - x - - - x - - -  
open hats:   - - x - - - x - - - x - - - x - 
closed hats: - x - - - x - - - x - - - x - -
snare:       - - - - x - - - - - - - x - - -
kick:        x - - - x - - - x - - - x - - -
             1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a
this is right i don't know how i messed it up so bad

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 27, 2008

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I'm looking for some feedback on a track that I'm working on. Right now I pretty much have four main parts but I'm looking as to how I can vary it up so it sounds more interesting. At the same time I don't want too many things going on. I also am lacking major bassage and am wondering tips on how to approach bass in a track like this. It's sort of Ratatat-kinda sounding. Do the transitions sound weird? Does the end fit within the song?

Thanks.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Peacebone posted:

I'm looking for some feedback on a track that I'm working on.

All the bits in themselves are nice, but the transitions are jerky as you suspected. And bass shouldn't be too bad to add, just one note per bar or something. A slow, relaxed bass line that locks into the slow, relaxed melody.

In particular the snare drum at the first transition particularly threw me out, where it starts doing the double hit.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

wayfinder posted:

Thanks! I'm always looking for new drum samples. I've had good luck making a big kick from three layered samples from roland machines (mostly 808 and 909). A good kick has a Dooosh (low) a thhoop (hits you in the chest) and a click (self-explanatory), for anyone who is interested in making their own drums. Its not easy though.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
You won't be distorting hardcore drums, not for UK Hardcore at least.
Kick is 1/8th long and offbeat bass is 1/8th long. Then you have your clapsnare on every 2nd kick and a hihat on the offbeat bass and a drumloop to fill it out. That's all there is to it basically, so you have:
code:
kick     : X-X-X-X-
clapsnare: --X---X-
hihat    : -X-X-X-X
bass     : -X-X-X-X
drumloop : X-------
You can get a kick like that out of the box with VEC1 or VEC2, just make it 1/8th note long. No need to EQ or compress it. The rest is all about the mixdown.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Ya, I was thinking on the way in to work today "I can't believe I told that kid to make a gabber kick its obvious the sound he's going for". I was very :420:ed last night I don't even know why I tried talking about this poo poo.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

The Fog posted:

You can get a kick like that out of the box with VEC1 or VEC2, just make it 1/8th note long. No need to EQ or compress it. The rest is all about the mixdown.
What's a VEC1 or VEC2?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Vengeance Essential Club Sounds, the CD I linked you to earlier.

Xesis
Jul 11, 2002

I can definitely vouch for the Vengeance sample packs, I've got several of them and they're really fantastic. They're especially great for little bullshit remix contests where you don't want to spend a large amount of time putting together a track.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Ah, I see. Thanks. I ordered them just now.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
Also, check out this video for hardcore:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7483869089507547499

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pharmacist
May 20, 2008
This thread seems to be more for computer stuff but what's a good drum machine? I was looking to avoid going over ~$300 but if it's worth it I can and from what I can tell most of the good ones are.

• Locked thread